[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Michigan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: michigan_simple.gif (277 KB, 1412x1060) Image search: [Google]
michigan_simple.gif
277 KB, 1412x1060
Hello friends. I just got a job working at MSU for the summer in East Lansing. I'm from North Carolina and I've never been up there.

Does anyone have any suggests about cool/beautiful places for hiking/fishing within a couple hours of East Lansing?

Other Michigan suggestions and thoughts are welcome.
>>
>>717339
Detroit is lovely this time of year
>>
File: IMG_5403-960x600.jpg (269 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5403-960x600.jpg
269 KB, 960x600
Pretty much everything starting with Claire headed North is chock full of some of the nicest public lands in the country. Hundreds of miles of trails, paved bike paths, and public lake shore. The state has large parcels of state land and conservancy land that you can camp on if the huge state park system isn't rustic enough for you. Most counties also have large parks once your in the northern parts of the state. I live and work in Emmet county, which is the northern most County on the west side of the lower peninsula and you could probably spend your entire summer here and. It run out of new outdoor options. We are also almost exactly 3 hours from East Lansing so I would consider that a pretty easy trip. The biggest question I would have for you is what kind of activities are you most into and then we can make suggestions from there. Pic is the highway as you head out of Harbor Springs, it is known as one of the most beautiful places to cycle in the country and is lined with large shoreline parks including sturgeon Bay state park which is a huge sand dune lined beach.
>>
The Michigan Dunes is great for day hikes and picture taking. For hiking and camping I'd suggest heading to the Upper Peninsula and Lake Superior. You can see the vanishing Boreal Forests while they last. There's /out/ in lower Michigan but heading to Lake Superior will give you something way different than North Carolina.
If you're real ambitious head for Isle Roayle. It's incredible.
>>
>>717363
Boreal forests are vanishing in the US because you have a tiny sliver of it fuckboi. Still strong and free in Canada from coast to fucking coast.
>>
>>717369
It's vanishing because of global warming nignog.
>>
Check out northcountrytrail.org

it'll show you pretty much all of the southern michigan /out/ stops.
>>
>>717385
We'll some of them anyway.
>>
State recreation areas (need a recreation passport on your license plate), metro parks, and county parks. Lot of good places closer to Ann Arbor (a little south for you) like Pinckney State Recreation Area. Each of those three systems have websites, check it out to find the closest ones to you. I live in Rochester, so Lansing is about as far as I go for a short hike, but there should be a lot of all three near you. If you have an out of state plate you can buy a temporary recreation passport, other parks have year long passes or day use fees (but pretty cheap). Basically every park has a lake, so fishing should be easy to find (I don't fish though so can't give specifics).
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.