[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Colorado/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Colorado.png (522 KB, 2000x1238) Image search: [Google]
Colorado.png
522 KB, 2000x1238
I'm assuming there are a lot of Coloradans on the board, given how many people in CO like the outdoors. So let's have a Colorado thread.

I just moved here over the summer, one thing I noticed is there are less trees than the east coast. I'm not sure what camping is like in the winter or if I'll have to wait until Spring, but whatever time of year people go camping, are there good camping areas that actually have trees? I'd like enough trees that I can just pick up branches off the ground and make a fire. Doesn't have to be right next to Denver, just somewhere in Colorado I'd like to go camping without having to bring my own firewood. Either backpacking or dispersed/car camping. Anybody know of any good places like that?

And as far as winter goes, where can you camp in the winter? I'm fine with cold-weather camping, I'm more worried about the snow on the mountain roads. At least some of those roads are not places I would want to drive on in the winter, so what areas are best for winter camping?
>>
>I just moved here over the summer

Get out pls.
>>
>>624034
You have moved to the high desert. If you judge the quality of the wilderness by the amount of trees per acre, you might as well go back to where you came from.

Out west there are far less spots where its cool to gather firewood near your campsite.
>>
>>624038
I know there are fewer spots, but does that mean there are zero spots? Is there anywhere in all Colorado I can just go set up a tent and find firewood nearby?
>>
>>624102
yeah it can be done, frowned upon but you can do it.
just remember the whole culture is different out here.
>>
>>624034
I imagine there's plenty of wood SOMEWHERE. Just because it's high desert doesn't mean there's no firewood. We have high desert out here and I have no issues finding wood. I'd say just drive around and have a look. I'm heading out there next week for a while and just google earthing places, it seems there some nice thick forest out there if you're in the right spot.

Also, High desert wood (lodgepole pine out here among others) is GOAT tier firewood. Burns quick, hot, usually drier than shit. Love it sooo much after gathering wood in ye olde west coast rainforests I currently live in....
>>
>>624037
This
>>
>>624103
Good to know, I'll do some more exploring in the spring. Any suggestions on where those spots might be? Also it's not just the firewood, I also like having something between me and other campers. Without many trees, I can see/hear other campers a quarter mile away which takes away from the camping experience.

>>624133
I'll check out Google earth good idea.
>>
DENVER
E
N
V
E
R
>>
>>625007
>/hear other campers a quarter mile away

In colorado you can get much further than 1/4 mile away form the next camp.

There are many forests but they are not as thick and they are a bit more delicate. In the east its not a big deal to chop down even a live tree to build a lean to or just for fun.
Out west that is seriously not cool.
>>
>>624034
>camping near Denver in the winter

People that come from the East coast to the west are notorious for dying. Even from a two mile hike in the summer. Why in the fuckety fuck would you camp in winter? It's horrible. Most likely the 5feet of snow will keep you out of the woods, but if not enjoy your misery
>>
LGBT Capital of the USA
>>
>>624034
Fuck off.
We don't want you.
>>
>>625319
This
I hope you get lost op
>>
Get a beater RV or teardrop trailer with a bitchin propex heater and camp in ski resort parking lots for your epic ski weekend.
That is what the locals do for /out/ winter camping.
Its way more fun than it sounds like.
>>
>>624034

I live in Summit County, Frisco.

Get out near 14ers. Camp off Independence Pass, Camp in Summit, go up Hoosier Pass, Camp in ten mile canyon.

Camp in the San Juans. Go climb the gore range (don't do that.)

Explore. It's a beautiful state. Or not, because you won't leave Denver and we'll be happy about it and you're just as likely to freeze to death. Oh, stay the fuck away from resorts on the weekends. You'll hate it.
>>
>>625247
>implying Colorado is "out west"

LOL. What, are you from 1875?
>>
>>625247
>In the east its not a big deal to chop down even a live tree to build a lean to or just for fun.

Not really, that's frowned upon pretty much everywhere unless you're wayyy out in the wilderness.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.