[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who live in areas which aren't /out/: do you ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: path.png (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
path.png
2 MB, 1600x1200
People who live in areas which aren't /out/: do you ever just load up your pack and hike into a local forest preserve then start cooking some freeze dried meal on your backpacking stove?

I'm starting to go a bit crazy here in the midwest and need SOMETHING to give me an /out/ fix.

Pic unrelated, it's where I'd go on casual saturday afternoon hikes before I moved here.
>>
No, I have to drive to my /out/ locations. Since I live in a small euro city with no /out/doors culture, if I did what you're saying people would start thinking I'm a weirdo if I did that alone. If I was doing that with a bunch of friends, which I've done before, it's just a picknick.
Sucks having to drive a few hundreads km to enjoy nature. Gladly I have a beach couple km away tho.
>>
>>713019
What country is this?
>>
>>713015
I live within walking distance (four miles) of a preserve with a six mile trail, so a lot of times I'll grab some torts, summer sausage and cheese sticks and go walk most or all of it. It's not exactly my favorite place, since I can't have a camp, fire, fish or even pick berries, and I'm pretty sure I'm not even supposed to drink the water, but fuck them on that; there's no way I'm doing a 20 mile without refilling my water.

It's also a western US pine forest that got major fire damage last year. I've been trying to get down there at least twice a week to check for morels. I'll take my chances with the Feds to get my hands on some morels.
>>
>>713032
What state are you in? I'm in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) so the best I have are a few 10-15 mile trails that are usually full of casual walkers and families biking.
>>
No, I'd rather spend 10 consecutive days /out/ than 5 weekends. This is even more true because I can go to a much better location than what is close by if I wait for a longer trip. So I save my vacation and shekels until I can get somewhere worth going.
>>
>>713034
Washington. It's pretty much all open here, aside from Seattle, Spokane and Olympia.

>>713035
Why not do both? Your employer doesn't care if you do weekend trips in between vacations.
>>
>>713058
I don't do both because it's pretty dire straits near me (Northern Germany). I feel my time is better spent being social and getting stuff done around the house that I don't have time for during the week. If I lived near some nice locations for weekend outtings I'd probably make more of an effort to make it happen.
>>
>>713015
I know that feel.
I live near Washington D.C. and every good park is at least 2 hours drive away if not more. There is a few conservation parks near me but it's limited what you can do. Also a 10 mile trail but it sometimes borders neighborhoods and buildings so it breaks the immersion.
>>
>>713023

Fort Collins Colorado
>>
>>713015

>>714673
>>
>>714675
At least it only takes you 2 hrs to get to the mountains. I have to drive at least 4 hours from Nebraska to get anywhere that has something.
>>
>>715824
but you have all that flat shit to walk on in Nebraska without people to annoy the dick out of you
>>
>>715921
I guess if all you want to see is corn and cows.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.