[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here make their own mosquito/bug repellent? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 640x430
Does anyone here make their own mosquito/bug repellent? I'm allergic to DEET and most commercial bug sprays. I tried using pure citronella oil but that didn't work out too good on our last fishing trip. I'm such a fag but I need help. Please tell me what non commercial repellents work for you. I'll almost try anything at this point.

I do have some "bug off" clothing that works pretty good but it's expensive and parts of my skin that aren't covered just get bitten like crazy.
>>
AVON Skin so soft is a body cream in UK, but also used by UK army as insect repellent. Does not contain DEET or any other repellent, just works cuz perfume reasons
>>
https://www.avon.uk.com/product/354-1203/skin-so-soft/skin-so-soft-fast-hydration-dry-oil-spray

Results: A total of 74 events occurred. The event distribution was as follows: placebo—40 events; special mixture—28 events; Avon Skin So Soft—6 events; DEET—0 events.

Conclusions: When tested against a placebo, both DEET (P<.0001, NNT=1) and Avon Skin So Soft (P =.0001, NNT=1) were found to provide significantly better protection, while the special mixture did not (P =.30). When tested against the special mixture, both DEET (P<.0001, NNT=1) and Avon Skin So Soft (P =.0048, NNT=2) were found to provide better protection. When DEET and Avon Skin So Soft were compared with each other, Avon Skin So Soft was found to be 85% as effective as DEET (P =.046, NNT=7).

http://www.bcmj.org/article/mosquito-repellent-effectiveness-placebo-controlled-trial-comparing-95-deet-avon-skin-so-sof
>>
>>710346
>>710353
Thanks so much. Never heard of this but I have heard of AVON. I'll try to find a local rep. Thanks again.
>>
I've read that a yarrow alcohol extraction works pretty good and in fact better than deet by some accounts
>>
>>711505
Interesting.

So basically like a tincture just a using dry herb and grain alcohol? Or does this need rubbing alcohol?
>>
>>711521
Pretty much any strong non-mammal smell can overload a mosquito's scent receptors and trick it into not 'seeing' you. I've had luck with licorice and vanilla extracts, even. The problem is that a bear's scent receptors aren't particularly discerning, and they'll try to find and eat anything with a strong odor. In my opinion, lemongrass (one type of citronella producing plant) is a good ballance between mosquito repellent and a natural (and therefore less noticeable to bears) odor. Also far less harmful to the skin than DEET. Not sure if it'll work yet, but I'm planning on getting a wood pendant of some sort and soaking it in lemongrass essential oil. If this thread is still up in a few days, I should be able to make it down to the apothecary and then take a hike in the marshes and report back. I think I saw a mosquito the other day, so there should be some there.
>>
http://www.sierrasageorganics.com/bugsbegone45ozbottle.aspx

I haven't used it myself, but know people that swear by it. It has yarrow and some other stuff that people mentioned in the thread
>>
>>711875
Do the sweeter scents attracts bees? I've used vanilla effectively against gnats but that's about all. I'm in SE Texas and the Mosquitos can get pretty bad here.
>>
peppermint oil
>>
What ever happened with those mosquito repellent condoms bill gates was working on
>>
>>710303
Get smoke in your clothing rub lavender on your skin.
>>
Wear:
A bug net (over a hat to keep it off your skin)
Long sleeve shirt (off your skin or thick enough that they can't bite through it)
Long pants (same as shirt)

I normally don't wear gloves because I'm not allergic to DEET, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to be fairly comfortable without any repellent, climate permitting. There's also a certain satisfaction to keeping an easily accessible part of your body like your hands as bait and killing dozens of mosquitoes as they land on them.
>>
>>712029
Avoid fruit smells like bananas and such. They're drawn to bananas like no other. Just trust me on that one.
>>
>>710303
DDT
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.