[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Fire Striker threat Magenisum, Ferrocenium, Mag/Ferror Mix.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
>Fire Striker threat

Magenisum, Ferrocenium, Mag/Ferror Mix. What kind of fire steel (striker) can you recommend?

Did you ever ignite a fire with a fire striker only? Or are your /out/-skills too low?

If yes: Do you use fire steels on regular basis (Practice) or just in emergency situations?

Tell us about your experiences, personal thoughts while using a fire steel ?!
>>
I use a misch metal rod opposed to a ferrocium as I prefer the burn characteristics of the additional elements (extra magnesium if I'm correct) as it prolongs the length of time the scrapped fragments burn for.

IMO it's bordering on meme tier now, everyone and their uncle has one and very few know how to use it properly.

I use it only for playing. In an emergency situation I'd use one of the half dozen lighters I have strewn through my gear (trouser pocket, jacket pocket, my cord bag, also in my fak)

Also I use a dedicated STRIKER to spark mine, fuck using my knife to do it (abuse abuse!)
>>
they work well. are impervious to water but require more prep. they are by no means a "skill" friction fire is a skill. using a ferro rod is just a amtter of not being retarded, striking into a fluffy enough material.

and for god and all thats holy sake. dont use the blade of your knife
>>
Easiest stuff to light with it is some pre-prepared charred cloth or charred dryer lint
>>
>>694350
ferrocerium is a mich metal you retard
>>
>>694345
>Magenisum, Ferrocenium, Mag/Ferror Mix.
doesn't really matter the one that lasts longer produces less sparks that burn shorter it kinda equals out. more prep time but it lasts longer vs more versatile but gets chewed up fast.
>Did you ever ignite a fire with a fire striker only?
lighters make it an unnecessary practice.
>Do you use fire steels on regular basis (Practice) or just in emergency situations?
it's a last resort i'm saving it for when i need it.
>>
File: BSA_0635.jpg (436 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
BSA_0635.jpg
436 KB, 1632x1224
>>694345
40 years + and still works the best
>>
File: 20150210_213531_LLS.jpg (989 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150210_213531_LLS.jpg
989 KB, 3264x1836
>>694345
I exclusively use one of my various first eel with either mushrooms, bark, or fatwood I gather along my hikes and dry at home or near fire
>pic related, one of my most recent firesteel
>>
>>694419
but without pratice you will fail. (like the mechanism of an lighter)
>>
>>694345
>fire striker

That's a ferro rod, a fire striker is the steel part of a flint and steel set
>>
>>694416

ughh, but the percentages of constituent parts is different, overly aggressive anon.
>>
>>694416
>mich metal
yo its called Mischmetall.
>>
>>694484
no it isnt. mischmetal is not a brand, its a colloquialism. if you want to mention a specific brand and their recipe, you can say that. but you cannot use mischmetal as a way to differentiate from colloquial ferro rod
>>
>>694471
Doesn't look like it's ever been used.
>>
>>694477
nah, it's not rocket science, i also carry a lot of shit to make fire with (lighter, storm lighter, candles, matches, cotton) like i said last resort in case i run out all other consumables this is a bit more long term source of ignition. extreme long term i would have to find a piece of flint/chert/quartz/obsidian tho and make a char box.
>>694486
no habla german sorry.
>>
>>694487

>google
>''mischmetal ferrocerium''
>majority of results are 'verses'

Better tell the whole internet bro
>>
>>694567
well it's like saying gas vs gasoline
>>
>>694567
>A modern ferrocerium firesteel product is composed of an alloy of rare earth metals called mischmetal (containing approximately 50% cerium, 25% lanthanum, and small amounts of praseodymium and neodymium), plus iron and a small amount of magnesium:[2]

better tell yes. can't have people talking stupid shit.
>>
Yes but they're sold as different products.

Typically the distinction is one sold as 'mischmetal' will have a lower % of iron and higher % of magnesium, compared to say, the classic firesteel like 'light my fire' swedish army steel.

>>694575
not really. Better analogy would be a hoover or a vacuum cleaner. Fundamentally they're the same but due to proprietary design differences they're not.
>>
>>694492
Look carefully. I was just finishing tying a new handle on it. It's brand new. I own several and needed a new one.

I don't usually feel the need to show my used stuff as "proof"
>>
>>694345

YO NO ONE IS GONNA SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS NIGGAS THUMB???
>>
>>694769
kek read it in Ice Cube's voice
>>
>>694769
What the fuck, its like the thumb is pregnant
>>
>>694769
>>694969
It's a grower, not a show-er
>>
>>694345
I just want to point out that if you have a bic lighter then you have a ferrocerium striker already.
>>
>>694345
I instruct bush craft, 'light my fire' (brand) do excellent strikers with very high temperature sparks. I rarely use lighters or matches I think I actually use my high carbon steel blade and some flint I've found more than anything else.
Don't buy cheap, don't buy Gerber (bear grylls) and look for spark temp not number of strikes when purchasing your own striker.
>>
Have any of you niggers used a fire piston?
>>
File: 59AAAA437203.jpg (110 KB, 400x439) Image search: [Google]
59AAAA437203.jpg
110 KB, 400x439
>>695657
WAY too short. will break or you will loose it. enjoy searching it between thorns + various insect hives
>>
>>694466
What is that?
>>
>>695722
leave it in the lighter, and just spin the wheel when you need a spark.
>>
>>695685

Good if you want to practice your skills / for fun. Not so good if it's your only method of fire starting.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.