[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life Straw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: lifestraw.jpg (13 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
lifestraw.jpg
13 KB, 300x360
What does /out/ think of pic related? I'm going hiking and know there are several lakes/ponds in the area.

Is this, alone, good enough? Assuming I won't be using water for cooking? If not, what's the next best thing?
>>
>>693438
Well still use a purification tab
>>
>>693438
It's pretty good, the Sawyer mini is better tho and about the same price.

Boiling is the best option, depending on the debris you might still want to run it through a cloth or something.
>>
File: 0219162335a.jpg (813 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
0219162335a.jpg
813 KB, 2048x1350
>>693438
Do you like laying face-first down an incline sucking water with several pounds of pressure behind it? Do you enjoy drinking water you spat into your canteen? If so, lifestraw is the perfect fit for you!

Otherwise, pic related is pretty nice. Scoop a couple liters into the dirty bag, hang it on a branch, pop the cap off the Sawyer mini, and attach to your camelbak (where the mouthpiece goes) it sometimes requires a little squeeze to get going, but then you've got two liters of filtered water in a couple minutes, with little effort. Also, you can reuse the dirty bag as an additional water container, upping your carry capacity by an extra two liters if you need to.

In case you're wondering, the orange stuff is duck tape for repairs. Just happens to fit perfectly.
>>
File: sawyer.jpg (140 KB, 800x709) Image search: [Google]
sawyer.jpg
140 KB, 800x709
Sawyer is better if only because you can thread a bottle into either end and gravity-filter, hourglass style.

If I want to filter some water for cooking, how do I do that with lifestraw? Suck it through then spit it out into the pot?
>>
File: 1456084593043.jpg (777 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
1456084593043.jpg
777 KB, 2048x1350
>>693512
>Spit water into a pot
Which is always nice when you're cooking for others.

>>693511
I forgot to mention that you don't need all the other garbage that comes with it for this. And if you can see where the folds are in the pic, it rolls up fairly nice, too.
>>
>>693512
We use the sawyer for cooking water when out, fill a plastic bottle and squeeze it through for cooking water
>>
>>693529

Why squeeze the bottle when you can put a second bottle on the other end and let gravity do the work while you do something else?

I imagine squeezing a plastic bottle would eventually cause cracks from material fatigue. I do suppose that's one less bottle to carry though
>>
>>693512
>>693511
>>693480

Thanks bros
>>
>>693533
Why carry bottles at all, when you can filter it directly into your camelbak? We each have a perfect solution for our specific needs. Which is why the Sawyer mini is so awesome; it was designed to be able to work in any setup you need it for. Even direct drinking, like the lifestraw.
>>
>>693541
No problem. Have fun /out/.
>>
>>693511
Bro I agree the sawyer is better because I switched from a life straw but you don't need to use it like an African child, you just scoop water into a cup
>>
>>693438
>lakes/ponds
You realize people urinate in lakes & ponds, right?
The only water I would drink /out is from streams/rivers as it is moving.
I've never in 50 years of being /out used any filter or boiled drinking water and have never had any issues.
>>
>>693512
If you are cooking with the water are you not going to boil it anyways? Why filter at all?
That being said the sawyer mini is still the way to go.
>>
I heard people have drunk diarrhoea with it.
>>
>>696025
With the Lifestraw or the Sawyer Mini?
>>
>>696026
Lifestraw
>>
>>693480
This, I've used the Lifestraw on one outing and it worked well for 3 people for about a day then it was clogged and very hard to pull through.Im not sure if there is any way to clean the lifestraw of debris. The Sawyer mini i just purchased comes with a cleaning kit to clear out that debris and make it last longer supposedly i have not tested the sawyer mini yet.
>>
>>696025
>>
>>696047
Did you try blowing back through it to clear the clog? That usually works. You can boil it if blowing doesn't work.
>>
>>696025
ew
my friend drank soy sauce with it and ruined it because now it always tastes like salt
>>
>>696047
Bra you just blow back through it...
>>
I'm going on my first hiking trip with my brother this summer in the Grand Tetons. We're planning on a 3 day hike. Will I be fine just bringing a Sawyer Mini? He has his own purification system, so we won't be sharing.
>>
>>696258
yes but don't forget to open carry a shotgun if you're in the Tetons
>>
if you're new to mechanical filters like the lifestraw or sawyer mini / sawyer squeeze / etc, they freeze up and don't work in the cold. if you're expecting freezing temps you will need another plan.
>>
>>696295
You caught me lmao
>>
>>693480
Reminder that Sawyer had to settle outside court after being sued for false claims. Only filtered water effectively for a month and a half.
>>
>>697443
This, Lifestraw has an impressive record across multiple shithole countries. I'm sure you can rig something up simple to connect with water bladders.
>>
>>697443
> had to settle outside court

That's not true

In early ads Sawyer said that their filter was good for 1 million gallons (a figure derived from mathematically extrapolating their in house testing) since they didn't actually run a million gallons thru the filter the National Advertising Division (the advertising industry’s self-regulatory body) asked them (ASKED THEM) to discontinue that claim. so they voluntarily did. BTW - running a million gallons thru the filter would take like 7 years...
>>
>>696258
I've used a Sawyer mini for three years, now (same one) flows like a champ as long as you back flow it often. This setup: >>693511

>>696326
Yeah, you don't let it freeze. That's why it has a cap, so you don't get wet when you bring it with you in your sleeping bag.

>>697443
If that were applicable to the current model, they wouldn't be selling them in stores right now. REI doesn't sell recalled merchandise. Don't be a fearmonger.

Anyone who uses Sawyer recommends it. Do the people who don't have any experience using it really have valid opinions in the first place? It's like when Christians argue with me about weed. Trust me, I've got the real-world experience to know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>695983
then what do you drink?
>>
I have one of those, it's still sitting in the half-opened packaging though and i never used it
>>
>>697457
>>696258
>>695987
>>695961
>>693542
>>693533
>>693529
>>693512
>>693541
>>693511
>>693480
Keep using Sawyer, when SHTF you guys will be the first to die. Less people for me to deal with later, I like it. Maybe I'll start shilling for Sawyer too (I may be late to the party here and you all are already ahead of me).
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.