[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cook kits.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1936x1936
Post your cook kits /out/.

This is mine at the moment. GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist with a Home made hobo stove, windshield & 50ml hand sanitizer bottle for my fuel. This bottle holds enough fuel for 2 medium sized meals or one big cook. I have other bottles of various sizes depending on the duration of my trip /out/ & how many meals I need to cook. If I take more than 150ml of fuel then the bottle no longer packs into the kit.

With the bottle pictured full, it all weighs in at a shade over 14oz. You can keep your lightweight titanium kits. The non-stick coating on this set is worth the extra weight, which to be perfectly honest I wouldnt notice anyway. Clean up is a breeze.

i'll also post a picture of it packed.
>>
File: image.jpg (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209 KB, 1000x1000
>>488150

Packed.
>>
I have the GSI Pinnacle Dualist, but I mainly bought it as a single person kit with the ability to drag my girlfriend outside and have the additional cookware when needed.

I wanted the 1.7L pot so I could boil that much more water in one go. Lastly, I can fit my mini stove (amazon $6.50 shipped), two isobutane canisters, small sponge, small dish soap and all the accessories inside the 1.7L pot which all fits in the stuff sack. The entire setup weighs around 25oz.

Though I do like the appeal of having a titanium mug and a titanium pot for myself, and just cooking everything over a fire rather than dragging a bunch of shit around.
>>
>>488150
You have sponges but no soap?
>>
>>488150
>>massive nylon stuff sacks inside massive nylon stuff sacks, inside one more stuff sack (your backpacks)

why do you need a bowl? what's stopping you from eating out of the pot?

replace the heavy plastic lid with metal foil. keep the lid only if you can muster the courage to leave the stuffsack behind. do you realize that the locking handle is designed to work with the lid to keep everything inside?
>>
>>488243
The large sack is welted and acts like a sink, the smaller bag just stops everything rattling about inside the pot. That isn't a bowl, its actually an insulated mug with fluid measurements on the inside. The lid works as a strainer on the pot and also locks onto the cup to help keep your drink warm for longer.

>heavy plastic lid

M8 it weighs practically nothing. Of course I know the handle is designed to work with the lid. It was one of my reasons for buying it.
>>
>>488264
you're telling me that you plan to bring a kitchen sink into the outdoors. are you sure that's necessary? what can you even wash in it? if you must have a washing bag, then use an empty plastic food bag.

why do you need a heavy cup? what's stopping your from drinking from the pot? or using a water bottle to drink from?

instead of bringing a useless object to stop the rattling, you can instead insert some food, socks or anything else into the empty space.

great, you know that the lid locks in place, now you don't need the stuff sack to carry your pot.
>>
>>488331
Different anon here, but the "kitchen sink" is pointless, it really can't wash fuck all given it's capacity. It's as if Pinnacle were desperate for another feature to cram in.

>why do you need a heavy cup?
>heavy
It's light as a feather. It's nice to have two containers, how am I gonna drink ma coffee whilst my food cooks?

Honestly, the soloist set is awesome. Can fit my Micro Rocket stove, windshield and fuel canister inside. An entire cookset in a compact and light as fuck solution. Perfect.

Although I do agree, you could lose the stuff sack or "sink", but I still have it because it weighs fuck all and protects the main pot from scratches.
>>
>>488331

Dude I'm not obsessed about saving every single gram I can. I like this kit as it is. I enjoy the versatility of it and holy shit, 14oz is not heavy in the slightest. Also the bag is useful in protecting my pack or anything in it from snagging on the pot handle fixings. I don't wash things directly in the stuff sack, rather it just holds the soapy water I use to wash with, which tbh is handy as fuck.

>heavy cup

Its not heavy in the slightest. Usually I make a coffee to drink while I eat so that's why I don't drink from the pot.

Why do you care so much? Its weird. I like this kit and I'm not changing anything so get over it. Why don't you post your own?
>>
File: DSC_0021.jpg (126 KB, 1061x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0021.jpg
126 KB, 1061x1600
>>488150
>Post your cook kits /out/.

Okay.
>>
>>488413
So you grill (probably processed) meat over a fire? Sounds exciting.
>>
>>488387
you posted your kit. if you didn't want our opinion, why would you post it?

FYI, my kit follows:
snowpeak 600
esbit ti-wing stove
foil winshield
foil lid
long handled plastic ice cream spoon.
>>
>>488438

Because I'm interested to see what other people cook with.

How is cooking with the hexamine? I've never tried it.
>>
File: grills-roasting-marshmallows.jpg (24 KB, 445x327) Image search: [Google]
grills-roasting-marshmallows.jpg
24 KB, 445x327
>>488418
>"Come over by the fire, anon, roast marshmallows and make SMORES with us!" *giggle*
>No, I'll sit over here in the dark with my Etekcity Ultralight and cook ramen.
>>
>>488452
I cook anything from bread to fried moose heart and onions to jambalaya over a fire. A pot and cast iron pan isn't an "Etekcity Ultralight".

When you actually camp or canoe a lot you realize eating marshmallows and hotdogs isn't that enthralling or novel.
>>
>>488452
>toasting marshmallows over flames
>not hot coals
I never understood why people do that shit.
I mean, if you like your marshmallows burnt on the outside and not gooey on the inside, that's fine, but you can't rush a good marshmallow.
>>
>>488470
I've eaten just about every aquatic and non-predator land animal type in North America from off a stick over a campfire. I've even make toasted cheese sandwiches that way.
>>
File: IMG_1292.jpg (106 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1292.jpg
106 KB, 653x490
I really like the JetBoil MiniMo Stove. I use the measuring plastic bowl at the bottom as a cup or bowl for soup/oatmeal, and line the actual stove itself with a ziplock (I do ziplock cooking) after I pour the water into it. I never use it for actually cooking in, just boiling water or melting snow if necessary. I am thinking of getting a stove attachment for when I do the JMT in July incase I catch a fish.
>>
>>488387
>obsessed with saving weight
I better not tell him my mess kit then. It's an old Coleman car camping kit, a pot, a pan, two plates, two cup/bowls all stainless. And I keep two sets of utensils and two soda can stoves in it too. As well as two boxes of matches and two lighters. Plus hot sauce and shit. Probably weighs more than an ultralighters entire pack.
>>
>>488446
a standard esbit hexamine block will bring 500ml of water (from about 5C) to a roiling boil in about 8 minutes with my setup. I store leftover bits of fuel in an empty resealable food bag, and after 3 or 4 boils I have enough fuel bits to boil another 500ml of water.

Overall, I'd say it's not nearly as quick as a canister stove, but absolutely reliable, light and I can immediately tell how much fuel I have remaining. it's a great fit for my "cook in the bag" meals

I've pondered upgrading to a caldera cone system to increase my fuel efficiency, but it would greatly increase the overall bulk.
>>
File: 20141015_120507.jpg (691 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20141015_120507.jpg
691 KB, 2048x1152
Swedish mess kit ( stainless steel)
built like a tank, weighs about as much too

Esbit cup with MSR pocket rocket
dont really like gas but its light and fast so

American canteen cup kit
pretty good

and thats about it i think
>>
>>488501
>thinking the teeny boppers in the pic give a flying shit

Dude, they are in another fucking world.
>>
>>488243
> discard portions of a product that weigh .1 grams
> hurrrrrr muh efficiency

you sound manic
>>
>>488826
Weigh it and get back to me.
>>
File: 1.jpg (3 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3 MB, 4320x3240
>>488150
>>
>>488855
That's not a complete cook kit. Where's your rock or something?
>>
>>488879
I was waiting for them to go on sale at REI.
>>
File: nofoez.jpg (38 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
nofoez.jpg
38 KB, 550x366
>>488879
Oh my sides, god damn.
>>
File: trangia.jpg (29 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
trangia.jpg
29 KB, 430x430
I use the standard Trangia set, usually with butane gas burner.

Does a very good job in windy situations, however the gas might not always be available.

I tried it with the methylated spirits but damn /out/ : soot, soot, and soot on my pots.

Thought about upgrading with a multifuel burner but dislike the idea of kerosene. Did anybody here ever use the multifuel pumping system with spirit? My idea is to make it soot less and have a more effective burning. Also spirits is about the cheapest fuel over here and vastly available, with the plus of being the safest liquid fuel in terms of health.
>>
File: My cooking kit.jpg (105 KB, 541x390) Image search: [Google]
My cooking kit.jpg
105 KB, 541x390
My cooking kit, its not much but it works fine.
>>
>>488826
Back when I was in High Adventure/Boy Scouts, we had a guy in our group that cut the strings off his zipper pulls on his hiking backpack, and cut his toothbrush down to ~1 inch.
People are weird, man.
>>
>>489558
that's nothing bro. an ultralighter would drill holes through that last 1" of toothbrush to take out even more weight!
>>
>>489647
People that obsess over weight of gear are insufferable.
>>
>>489558
took me some time to realise you were talking about cutting the shaft and not the actual bristles ... one never knows with these ultralighters.
>>
File: WBS.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
WBS.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Ive been using a White Box Stove for about six months now. stability is an issue but if you pay attention its not a big problem

Teamed with a titanium cup and wind shield my set up weighs in at about 120grams before fuel.
>>
>>489658
>People that obsess over weight of gear are insufferable.
fat Backyard camper deteced
>>
File: PCQ84-2.jpg (20 KB, 600x525) Image search: [Google]
PCQ84-2.jpg
20 KB, 600x525
>>488150
I just use pic related. Make soups, stews and coffee. If I'm car camping, bring a pan maybe? I dunno man.
>>
>>490092
Hardly. I was a forest surveyor for several years and go on a 3-week canoe trip every year. As a forest surveyor I carried around lots of gear for the job, I couldn't afford to be a baby about how much my sat phone, clinometer, increment borer, etc. weighed.

Carrying a bit extra weight means you will get stronger. That is all.
>>
>>489527
I heard using everclear as fuel helps with the soot, but don't take my word for it
>>
File: jetBoil.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
jetBoil.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
Jet Boil
>>
>>490085

Im glad you posted because ive never seen those before. Ordering one now.
>>
>>490306
Lawd jeeezus not sooty soot! Jesus H Christ you fucking crybaby panty waist limp wristed cunts need to be excised from the fucking gene pool
>>
>>490369
Don't get emotional with me.
>>
File: folderover9000times.jpg (45 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
folderover9000times.jpg
45 KB, 800x600
Sort of relevant. I had a $50 REI dividend and didn't really need anything at all so I bought this pimpin titanium mug and spork
>>
>>488150
I have the GSI Pinnacle Soloist as my UL setup as well. I throw in this old camping Frying pan in with it tho, because I tend to fish when I go /out/ and I need something to cook that shit in. Just a leftover from one of those aluminum mess kits I used to use as a scout.
>>
>>490408
fyi, you can get your rei dividend in cash. the downside is that you'll need to wait till july.
>>
File: shipping.jpg (30 KB, 600x278) Image search: [Google]
shipping.jpg
30 KB, 600x278
I was tempted to become a REI member but their international shipping is pretty steep.
Some of their stuff they will not even export.

eg. Osprey.
>>
File: cookkit guyotstanleygsi.jpg (49 KB, 577x1024) Image search: [Google]
cookkit guyotstanleygsi.jpg
49 KB, 577x1024
I had bought a Stanley pot ($13 at a Target, I use the plastic cups as tooth brush cup in the bathroom, and as an extra cup in the kitchen) before, but was annoyed when my plastic Nalgene couldn't nest into it. I wanted to get a stainless steel bottle though, and saw pic-related (a different picture, saw it a few years ago, similar picture). A Guyot 32 oz stainless steel water bottle ($19 on Amazon), fit perfectly inside, and allowed me to boil water inside. Then I wondered if a GSI cup could fit around the Stanley pot, and saw other people had already came to the same conclusion. I find space to be a bigger issue than weight, I never ended up weighing it. It's certainly not as heavy as a full mess kit though, but is a bit heavier than titanium equivalents. I bring a simple metal spoon from the kitchen with me, and just use my belt knife or my Opinel along side it.

Of course, this is really more for boiling water or eating oatmeal and soup, rather than for frying or the like, but it has done it's job nicely. For meat, as another anon has said, I use a stick or a skewer.

I also use a Trangia alcohol burning stove, as I was not steady-handed enough to make one out of a soda can. One day I will... The stove fits inside of a tin can that I pocked holes through, sort of like a windscreen and pot holder for my trangia. but also functions as a wood burning stove.

My kit is definitely heavier than titanium equivalents, but at a fraction of the price it works for me. Poorfag woes. Speaking of poorfagging, the tin can stove/potholder work well with a Trangia, but makes me look like a hobo when I use it.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.