[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BOB/SHTF thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: shtf bob 2.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2325) Image search: [Google]
shtf bob 2.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2325
BOB/SHTF thread.

Post your kits, kids.
>>
File: morafedora.jpg (60 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
morafedora.jpg
60 KB, 500x328
>>
>>480102
i'm always a little curious why so many of you load up with a 10/22, often with a scope on it. ...?
>>
>>480111

varmint hunting for food and personal protections
>>
>>480102

wow. only weighs 33 pounds? that's a breddy good amount of kit for 33 pounds. good job OP best BOB i've seen yet
>>
>>480102
>>/k/

>>480111
Because .22 rifles offer the most food year round vs weight of the rifle and ammo. And a scope for hunting small game? Get out of here Stalker. But seriously, scopes aren't that necessary for small game, and they're very vulnerable to moisture and impacts.
Plus it requires more care when packing the rifle.

To each his own though. I'd rather have a 12 Gauge with a variety of bird shot, 00, and slugs. Maybe even an adapter for .22 or 30-06.
>>
>>480117
Seriously though, good BOB OP. However, ditch the canned food, you could carry more calories for the same weight. The calories provided by the canned food does not make up much more than calories expended carrying the food.

Otherwise, good job OP.
>>
>>480113
>varmint
>>
>>480102
no water treatment? or just boil?
>>
>>480111

IMO it's a decent compromise between defense and securing food.
>>
>>480117
>scopes aren't that necessary for small game

wut?

With #6 shot from a 12 gauge maybe but a rifle??
>>
>>480122

chlorine tablets and boil. Never used filters much.
>>
>>480119
>you could carry more calories for the same weight

How?
>>
>>480173
Dried foods, hard meats, pastas, and oils. The list is endless. Google some backpacker meals. The people who lomg distance hike burn like 5x the calories that normal people do, so they have to find the balance between nutrition, fuel, and weight so they can make the journey safely.
>>
>>480111
>>480117
I have a .308 minimum mentality. Sure it means less ammo for the weight but my argument has always been that a .22LR can be easily replaced by snare wire or even dead-fall traps made with stones/timber in the field. I figure traps can be in a lot more places at once than one person with a rifle. When the opportunity for medium-to-large game presents itself the .22LR crowd will wish they'd brought a beefier round.
>>
>>480102
What is your reasoning for the vise grips instead of a multi tool? Likewise, the file instead of a honesteel?

Not judging, just wondering.
>>
>>480190

You know, a 22lr is more than capable of killing larger game, is in fact the choice of round for deer poachers. Has been noted of ppl killing full grown moose with a 22lr, it is all about shot placement.
>>
>>480201
Try to time a week of fasting to lead up to a range-trip on cold, breezy, rainy day to see how your shot placement is going. I figure it'll be 50/50 that it's gonna suck or that your very first shot goes right in the bull's because you're imagining it's Bambi's eardrum. Anyway, I'm not trying to downplay the effectiveness of .22LR but I'd still rather have a round I can be accurate with at a distance instead of a round that can go a distance farther than I can be accurate at.
>>
>>480206

Even when ppl have been starving, ppl have still been able to do so. Plus with the 22, seeing as you're able to hunt smaller game and not blow them away, you should be able to get meat much easier. Plus been a botanist for the last 16 yrs, so finding edible plants is not hard for me.

Also, for accuracy, if well trained, it has been well proven that a 22lr can be accurate and deadly from over 300 yards away, there is ppl getting 3 inch groupings from 400 feet away. Shit, there is ppl who can hit steel with a glock at 300 meters with a hand gun, no scope.

I am letting skill level play the factor here, not the round it self.
>>
>>480213

Plus, I have grown up in Alaska my entire life, so I am no stranger to cold and wind. Off to work, so sorry if it takes me a while to respond.

Yeah, both civil and military has proven the 22lr, sorry if your skill level is not high enough, that you need a more powerful round. It is fine, it happens.
>>
>>480206
>i'm only competent with one round
>anyone who uses something different than me is doing it wrong despite actual proven history of other things usefullness
>>
>>480213
>>480219
>ppl
>ppl
>anecdote
>unrelated mention of career (A retard can pick up a local field guide for edible plants complete with warnings about lookalikes but that still nothing to do with my reasoning for preferring .308 or the perceived slights you feel I've made against your beloved .22lr)
>22 go dah distance! [with roughly 1/30 the energy remaining as a .308]
>ppl
>anecdote
>ppl
>anecdote
>blah blah, must have no skills, yaddda oink moo

>>480220
>disregard argument
>parrot above poster's insults
I so kewl
>>
>>480241
You sound really miserable.
>>
When SHTF I can't wait to rob the idiots who spent all this money on top end equipment.
>>
>>480306

So you'll get picked off then. Good plan.
>>
Seriously, if there is some kind of "collapse", or shtf, most people will just go cannibal. Why join the party?
>>
>>480102
add
+food, 6kcal is going to keep you going for 2 days max while moving at speed with a full pack
+a water filter, a sawyer squeeze. this will provide much more water than the tablets, and will process water faster than boiling. lightweight and reliable
+water storage. I see only 1L of water storage, that's not much unless there is a ton of fresh water along your route/in your area
+oral rehydration solution/candy. almost essential for quick moves in hot weather, which is what I'm expecting given the 40F sleeping bag
+rain jacket, or light poncho if your climate permits
+tinder, candles, something to light with your bics/firesteel
+fresnel lens for unlimited fire
+maintenance kit for your rifle
+a spoon to eat your oats and peanutbutter with
+move the idiot string from the "another flashlight" to your primary

reduce
-tarps. you already have a 1 person tent. bring an extra silnylon tarp if you must
-a sawblade. 2 sawblades and an axe is a bit much.
-a full size knife, you already have the axe and saw
-one of the metal cups. they are heavy and bulky. if you require redundancy, replace one with a metal water bottle
-most of your first aid gear. no you won't be performing field surgery on yourself.
-two of your flashlights. 4 is excessive, and I suggest that you pick lights that use the same batteries if they don't already. I'll suggest that you keep your primary and your headlamp.
-drop either the sharpening file or the puck, redundant.
-vice grips. why? they are heavy too.
-some rope. what do you plan to build while bugging out? the tent should not require additional rope to setup, and once the tarps are dropped, there should be little to tie up.
-tape. there is so much.

a really good start, happy trails
>>
>>480324
to add to that, separate your mags. combining your only 2 mags jungle style is just begging for both of them to be lost together.
>>
>>480102
I would probably lose the dvd's considering that your not carrying a portable dvd player to watch them on
>>
File: 1906_albon_sp.jpg (34 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1906_albon_sp.jpg
34 KB, 640x360
>>480241
Underrated post
>>
>>480102
This pack is way too well kept for any human who would actually use it. I'd say it's purpose is to ease the mind of an OCD'er
>>
>>480360
Isn't that kinda the point of a BOB though? That's like saying a first aid kit is too clean and well-stocked.
>>
>>480324
>water storage. I see only 1L of water storage

I see 11L of water storage.
>>
>>480117
12G is far too heavy for a BOB.

The only real problem with .22lr is you need perfect shot placement. Normally in hunting that wold be inhumane, but seeing as it's a survival situation all that goes out the window.

Op, it's nice to see a decent BOB for once. I rarely come here to /out/ so when I usually see BOB on /k/ they're incredibly poorly orientated.
>>
>>480358
My state produces some strange dudes.
>>
File: photo_pardner_turkeygun_camo.jpg (15 KB, 490x120) Image search: [Google]
photo_pardner_turkeygun_camo.jpg
15 KB, 490x120
>>480409
If you get a H&R Pardner Break-Action 12ga it only weighs a pound more than the 10/22. Now granted the ammo weighs more. I carry the H&R everywhere with 3 turkey shot 3 slug and 5 buckshot and I've never had a problem.
>>
>>480403
No anon, his dry bag is already full of stuff he can't afford to get wet.
>>
>>480435
>single shot 12 ga

Not bad...but what we really need is someone to make a 12 ga + 10/22 combo.
>>
My friend used to have a under over break open that the top barrel was 22lr and the bottom was 20g shot she'll. I really regret not buying it off him. It was the perfectsmall game gun.
>>
>>480102
>tons of cords
>tent and TWO tarps
>surgeon kit but no sterilized room to come with
>probably never operated anyone anyway
>not only a full sized axe but also two saws
>plan to build the saw and bring only the blade
>only half a week of food
>only one liter of water
This is stupid.

Are you planning to go on a point where you have stocked food? If yes, why don't you drop the axe/saw/tarps etc... here?

Are you planing to "live off the land"? This require a lot of skills, and just looking at your bag, you are not used to this kind of things.

Don't worry, just buy a 70-90L bag and do as this guy say:
>>480324

>.22 is good for defending yourself in the wood
Like, against boars and bears?
.22 is a arguably good caliber for a small CC gun and it's the best when it come to shooting paper or birds but self defense in the nature?
>>
File: 2d7a66_5337564.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2d7a66_5337564.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1080
I'm not gonna lie op, you have A LOT of useless shit. Even if it only weighs 33 lbs, thats a lot. Try humping that up and down hills for a few miles. I do like a lot of the stuff you have though
>>
File: innawoods.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
innawoods.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Here is everything in my bag. This does NOT include anything I carry on me (rifle/chestrig/pistol) Since this picture, I've also included a katadyn water filter and a skeeter beeter pro hammock.
>>
>>480569
Also, the brown mosin ammo holder contains a fishing kit.
>>
>>480569

Should replace the machete....If you really want to carry one, get a nicer one, not that pos.
>>
>>480518

Yes I try to have backups for the most important items ie the "5 C's". "Cover" and preventing hypothermia is high priority, so I think the tarps are justified. One above and one below. If it is raining and windy and cold it is a real concern to stay dry and warm. Similar reasons for the cordage, containers, and blades.

As far as the "surgeon kit" many people comment on...first off it's not meant for that. It is for suturing, potentially large but uncomplicated wounds. Also the kellys are for a touriquet equivalent (actually better than that) in any event of life threatening arterial bleeds. A truly sterile field is not necessary for either of these things.
>>
>>480569
Are you serious? I thought this was one of the last boards left that wasn't full autism.
>>
>>480569

Could be worse I guess. Do you have a safe sheath/scabbard for that machete? Also I don't think the little hatchet thing makes much sense if you have the machete.
>>
>>480589
5C and the rule of 3 are more for the beauty of intellectual things than for real life.

To prevent hypothermia, the key word is "insulation". Unless you are in a synthetic sleeping bag, you need to keep your insulation dry. This is why you need cover. Your tent provide for that. It cover you from rain, soil wetness and wind. If it don't, trash it.
You have people who use tarp to protect their tent from the sun or to have a nice place to live when they don't sleep, but on a BoB, it's a deadweight.

To prevent hypothermia: eat enough of calories, don't make unnecessary effort, keep yourself dry and have enough insulation.

For the blades, the big knife and a camping hatchet will be enough. It it's too light for you: take more food. You never have too much food.

If I were you, I would go to an hospital to get an open wound sutured. If SHTF, the medics will be too busy to ask question and will just fix you and say goodbye. Take care of the tourniquets, they lead to necrosis.

>>480569
You have a lot of batteries, but do you have a sleeping bag?
>>
>>480241
10/10
>>
File: camping shit.png (2 MB, 768x1366) Image search: [Google]
camping shit.png
2 MB, 768x1366
potato photo but yeah this is my bag
>>
>>480602
>To prevent hypothermia, the key word is "insulation". Unless you are in a synthetic sleeping bag, you need to keep your insulation dry. This is why you need cover. Your tent provide for that. It cover you from rain, soil wetness and wind. If it don't, trash it.

The tent is essentially a bivy sack so without the tarps it would be hard to do anything while staying dry and warm. Anyone who has set up camp from scratch-- in the rain -- knows the importance of a second tarp. Your shit will get very wet without one. The only solution to this is getting a big 4 person tent. That's not ideal for me for several reasons...it's heavy, it's expensive, and there's no way to set it up incrementally...for example with 2 tarps and a tent I can unroll just 1 tarp and have that if the weather is favorable. Or I can unroll 2 if there is rain. Or I can unroll both AND the tent if there is wind and rain. This allows me to keep more of my chit packed and ready to go than a tent, which is all or nothing.

>Calories prevent hypothermia

Uhm. no.
>>
File: pretty good.gif (588 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
pretty good.gif
588 KB, 500x200
>>480611

Not bad. Does that can stove really work?
>>
>>480617
yeah its ok it can be a bitch to get going in the wind though i tend to only use it for cups of tea and cook on a fire
>>
>>480602
>If I were you, I would go to an hospital to get an open wound sutured. If SHTF, the medics will be too busy to ask question and will just fix you and say goodbye.

...wut?
>>
>>480102
The knife is total dick (kabar; the moras fine). That thermarest is on the heavy side for a ground mat. Vice grips are a waste of space and weight. Didn't see any gloves in the med kit, enjoy your sepsis. Shoes are dick, also don't see any moleskin or foot powder or more than 2 pair of socks which are about as valuable as food if you're doing any kind of serious walking. A Sharpening puck and a file? You also don't have a wound irrigation syringe or betadine, kind of rendering the sutures (wrong kind by the way) pointless and actually pretty dangerous. Canned food, don't really need to say more. Overpriced, shit backpack. Nor enough food. Not enough water storage. 2 tarps when you really don't need 1. No rain gear. No trash bags. Good axe brand, again wrong type though.

4/10 Would not bugout with.
>>
>>480115
no
>>
File: camelbak_60912.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
camelbak_60912.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>480102
What about a get home bag? If you were at work/school or in your car and something like an earthquake/total blackout etc happened do you have anything to help you hike your ass home?

I am amazed by the amount of people that have closets and boxes full of shoes/clothes etc at home but don't even think as far as keeping an old set of running shoes in their trunk for emergencies.

Have fun walking 10km in dress shoes!
>>
>>480615
ok, thanks for clarifying your intended shelter usage.

in that case, drop the bivy and the ground tarp. replace the bivy with a tyvek splash bivy (a sleeve for your bag), replace ground tarp with polycro groundsheet.

this will save you significant weight and bulk while maintaining sufficient weather protection for a few weeks /out/ which is longer than you will be with that amount of food packed.

if you intend to use the cordage for stringing up your tarp, replace the 550 with dynameea/spectra cord. it has far greater tensile strength, won't stretch under load/wet, and is lighter for the same length. I like to tie 10' to each corner of my tarp along with a line tensioner to speed up setup and takedown.

>>480589
I want you to stop and listen to yourself clearly. from what I read, you intend to operate on yourself during a life threatening arterial bleed. I cannot imagine anyone with that degree of injury to have both the state of mind and the remaining physical ability to perform the work needed with those tools.

I would drop all the tools and stutures, and replace with an israeli bandage, some gauze, and roll of vetwrap.
>>
>>480102
I see that there is a lot of feedback on this setup already, Id' like to add my general comment.

the equipment in your bag appears to be at cross purposes. you have several wood perparation tools and a lot of shelter building equipment, but no equipment to sustain life in the wild aside from the rifle.

the bag has a small amount of food, which tells me that your bug out location is not far. if the destination is near, why do you need to build shelter and hunt?

if this is a bug out bag, then you should focus on the bugging out, to maximize your chances of getting to your safe place, rather than spending time in the woods.
>>
File: power-lizard-sul[1].png (337 KB, 1024x448) Image search: [Google]
power-lizard-sul[1].png
337 KB, 1024x448
>>480615
You can have a good ultralight 1 person tent for 2 lbs.
It's probably less than your bivy+2 tarps.
Tents are in 2 parts: the "tarp" and the mosquito nest+groundsheet. If you train, you can build your tent under the rain.

>Calories prevent hypothermia
Sure, but if you lack food, you are more vulnerable to hypothermia.
>>
.22LR will be less valuable in a SHTF situation because you cannot reload rim fire cartridges. If SHTF, manufacturing production will stop which will make reloaded rounds more prevalent. 22LR is still a good choice and has plenty of reasons why you should use it.

But having a scope is stupid not only because you have to be delicate with it but also you will have to sight it in to be accurate, which is a waste of ammo. Not to mention that it takes longer to draw a bead on a target with a scope than it does with iron sights.

I would prefer a shotgun since it allows for superior wing hunting with a large variety of different shotsizes and types for different game. Slugs are good for at least 50 yards (though the experienced old timers will tell you they are good for 75 yards), which is good enough in the heavy forested area I live in -- not too many vast open planes that warrant a 200 yard kill.
>>
>>480308
implying a vet with combat training isn't capable of robbing preppers with little life experience.
>>
>>480689
Have you ever fired a gun before?
>>
>>480698
Sure have. It's turkey season, faggot. I would like to see you take one down cleanly with a 22LR
>>
File: 1424229308104.jpg (336 KB, 498x693) Image search: [Google]
1424229308104.jpg
336 KB, 498x693
>>480693
this, the fat neckbeards and REI glampers are gonna get double teamed by disfuncional vets and/or tyrone and the boyz, no amount of basement STALKER circle jerking will save them
>>
>>480693
>implying bullets won't work on him
>implying he won't be robbed for having shit, kind of rendering the whole exercise pointless in the first place
>>
>>480689
>>480699
What kind of mongoloid can't sight a .22 with only a few shots? While I prefer a shotgun just for the fact you don't need the shot placement of an autist, a .22 is going to keep you more consistently fed than a shotgun, just for the fact you get 12-13 shots for the weight of one 12ga and you don't scatter half the forest with each shot.
>>
>>480698
You might be able to shoot one dove perched on a branch with, sure. But the rest will scatter along with any other animal near by. But if you wait for a dule of doves to come feed in an area behind a blind, then you can shoot multiple doves on the wing. Same can be said about most birds. The cleanest ways to kill ducks, geese, and turkeys is either a dense pattern of lead from a shotgun or a gullitone arrow from a bow to the neck. I also hope you're a good tracker since even if you did put a few shots into a turkey's breast, it's running away quick.

>>480708
>What kind of mongoloid can't sight a .22 with only a few shots?
Well the point is you're still wasting ammo to sight in the scope, which you're going to want to do on a rare occasion. Really, what mongoloid can't hit a target in 100 yards without a scope?
>just for the fact you get 12-13 shots for the weight of one 12ga and you don't scatter half the forest with each shot.
Have you ever heard of choke? Any shotgun worth a damn has interchangeable choke tubes so you can either tighten your pattern for turkey or open your pattern for dove, or whatever application you want. Plus you don't have to worry about whats one mile behind the target like with a .308 or powerful rifle rounds (but SHTF so that's wont really matter I guess).
>>
>>480702
Only if you're a pussy
>>
>>480712
If the world existed of nothing but birds I'd concede you were right, but plenty of area's where game birds are next to nonexistent, mine included, where there's nothing but pine flats and scruff. Plenty of small game, a few deer (they never seem to get very big); there are a few stories in my area of convicts surviving on mostly armadillos and squirrel for weeks to months on end. Nothing really where a shotgun would be preferred to a .22. If I was up north, I'd want a shotgun or a .308, but here where the armadillo are plenty and the deer are few and get mistaken for dogs I want a .22.
>>
>>480721
>If I was up north
In the South there's plenty of game birds with a over populated amount of deer. I hear that armadillos carry diseases and I have never heard of it being a preferred game or meat. Armadillos are abundant in Florida, but I would just end up fishing at that point since it's Florida.
>>
>>480731
Bingo I live in Florida (good guess actually), which is why I have a gill net, (illegal to use but if shtf no one will mind I suppose) fishing yo-yo traps and various tackle to forgo the need for hunting in the first place. Less of a worry about disease and parasites that way. That being said you don't always catch something. The meats on par with raccoon, not choice but edible if you boil it. Nothing really around this area you could turn into a staple with a shotgun that you couldn't with a .22.
>>
>>480712
> I also hope you're a good tracker since even if you did put a few shots into a turkey's breast, it's running away quick.
If you can't hit a target 1" across at less than 50m (i.e. a turkey head) then you should just save the world the trouble when SHTF and blow your own brains out.

>Well the point is you're still wasting ammo to sight in the scope
I don't know about you and your cheap-ass Chinese knockoff scopes, but my scope stays zeroed for a long time. Only a tiny fraction (probably less than 5 rounds per 500) will be used to sight in my gun.

>Have you ever heard of choke
So instead of hitting half the forest, all that shot his one bird. What a waste.

Face it faggot, you'll be facing 1kg of weight just for a box of 25 shot shells, while everyone who lacks a hardon for a shotgun will be carrying 50 rounds of .22lr for only 170 grams.
>>
>>480754
>If you can't hit a target 1" across at less than 50m (i.e. a turkey head) then you should just save the world the trouble when SHTF and blow your own brains out.
Jesus some of you prepper kids are just too much. Do you really think a turkey will keep its head still and let you shoot it? Do you know how silly you would look trying to shoot a moving turkey's head? You realize that even experienced callers can only get within 30 yards, and a 45 yard shot is pretty common. I'm not sure why I'm discussing turkey hunting with you seeing as how it's painfully obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

>I don't know about you and your cheap-ass Chinese knockoff scopes, but my scope stays zeroed for a long time. Only a tiny fraction (probably less than 5 rounds per 500) will be used to sight in my gun.
It stays zeroed for a long time because you store it, not constantly out in the wilderness for months on end. But I did say it would be on a rare occasion, and is still a waste of ammo.

>So instead of hitting half the forest, all that shot his one bird. What a waste.
What? You really don't know how shotguns work, do you?

>Face it faggot, you'll be facing 1kg of weight just for a box of 25 shot shells, while everyone who lacks a hardon for a shotgun will be carrying 50 rounds of .22lr for only 170 grams.
You are right that weight would be an issue. And that would prove to be a large problem if I decided to be nomadic. I'd hope to hole up in an area in the middle of woods (which I already kinda live in) instead of constantly wandering. But I would trap make traps for small game and traps for fish, and hunting with a gun would ideally only be for supplementing
>>
>>480774
>turkey
I have 12 time the shots weight for weight. If i miss I can get bead on target instantly and fire again. Or, I can go for a chest shot that really should only take one round but even if we are going to go with your mythical scenario where a turkey runs off with three or four rounds in it's chest I'm still up on you.

This doesn't even cover the fact there is more to hunting than turkeys.

>zero
I will admit that I've never carried a rifle for a long period of time, but I'm pretty sure soldiers in combat zones with a quality optic aren't zeroing their rifle every week.

>What? You really don't know how shotguns work, do you?
The argument was that half the weight of your shot shell is scattered across the forest not striking anything or being useful. All a choke is going to do is put more shot on target and at this point it's pretty redundant at this point.

>You are right that weight would be an issue. And that would prove to be a large problem if I decided to be nomadic. I'd hope to hole up in an area in the middle of woods (which I already kinda live in) instead of constantly wandering. But I would trap make traps for small game and traps for fish, and hunting with a gun would ideally only be for supplementing
Except we were talking BOBs. Talk about moving the goalposts.
>>
>>480784
>I have 12 time the shots weight for weight. If i miss I can get bead on target instantly and fire again. Or, I can go for a chest shot that really should only take one round but even if we are going to go with your mythical scenario where a turkey runs off with three or four rounds in it's chest I'm still up on you.
It is turkey season right now so go ahead and get some practice popping turkey heads with your .22lr. You sound so damn sure that you know what you're talking about, so go put it to the test. There is not a turkey hunter in the world who doesn't use either a shotgun with turkey load or a guillotine arrow from a bow. Go ahead and argue that you can mag dump a dozen .22lr into the chest (which you won't since it will be running away after the first shot), but you're wasting meat and ammo in a survival situation and you would look like a fool in a regular turkey hunt. And you will be tracking that fucker if you don't shoot its head/neck. .22lr can be used to hunt plenty of different game, but it wouldn't work well on turkey. Your efforts are better put some where else with it.

>The argument was that half the weight of your shot shell is scattered across the forest not striking anything or being useful. All a choke is going to do is put more shot on target and at this point it's pretty redundant at this point.
Well the beauty of the shotgun is the spread area can hit a moving target since you're not just firing just one projectile. That is why you are able to shoot a turkey in the head, and why you can hit a duck on the wing.

>Except we were talking BOBs. Talk about moving the goalposts.
No one said any specific disasters or what kind of shit hit the fan. Why can't I bug out to a spot 50 miles down stream and hole up?

Really though, you're a fucking fool if you think that you can shoot a turkey's head off with a .22lr. I really don't know why I'm arguing with you when its obvious that you've never been hunting and are just another range warrior
>>
>>480804
Sorry mate, but we don't have turkey season here in Australia.
>>
>>480814
Cont,

There is absolutely no reason why a .22lr chest shot through the heart and lungs shouldn't kill a turkey.
>>
>>480816
Turkey hearts are very small, and its moving the whole time. It's not like deer where they stand still while chewing some grass. Obviously if you miss your first shot at it's heart, the second shot will be even harder.
>>
>>480819
There are lungs and major arteries too.

And oh look, shooting a turkey with an air rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BwAYhHzN_k
>>
>>480819
Continued. Even if everytime you could shoot it through the heart, you could end up ruining some of the meat and carcass. I would imagine when SHTF, you would want to use all of the animal possible.

But I have said plenty of times that .22lr has a lot of good reasons to use it and is good for plenty of game. We are all just shooting the shit about different things we would like to do when SHTF, and I would like bring a shotty with me.

I can see how a scope would be useful in Australia since you got vast open fields, but a scope where I am in the southeastern US wouldn't be as beneficial since I live in a giant forest.
>>
>>480820
First off that is illegal in a lot of states. Second off, after the guy made the shot, you hear the camera guy is in complete disbelief because that was just a fantastic shot. It's not a common method, and I imagine that people who do hunt turkey with pellet guns are doing it purely for the challenge. It's the first time I've heard of it, but you really can find anything on the internet.

If you hit the lungs and major arteries, then you're going to be tracking it.
>>
>>480173
Freeze dried.

Replace the chem filtration with a sawyer filter. Far more effective because 20L isn't shit for filtration.
>>
>>480824
>If you hit the lungs and major arteries, then you're going to be tracking it
Not for very long. I shot a deer through the diaphragm into one lung and she collapsed after less than 100 yds of running. It was a pass through shot so there were two holes and a sucking chest wound, collapsing the lung(s).

Speaking of which: has anyone considered a bow with a suppressed .22 pistol as a backup? Personally if I'm going to rely on a firearm in SHTF, I want suppression to keep it as quiet as possible. I'd even keep subsonic ammo around for when I need really quiet shots.
>>
>>480824
>Caring about the law post-SHTF

Oh lolsy.
>>
>>480836
I'd personally go with something like an Ar15 and a suppressed .22lr handgun. Bows don't have much range on them
>>
>>480836
And arrows tend to break, unless you plan on making them, which takes a while. And its a lot harder to hunt with a pistol instead of a rifle.
>>
>>480587 I've tried using that machete multiple times and it's shit. I think I'll get rid of the machete and small hatchet in general, and just get a good hatchet
>>480590 fuck off
>>480595 Yes there is a sheath for it, but like said above, I think I am tossing it anyway
>>
>>480693

Defender has the home advantage.

You have no intel like on your fagtastic missions.

Word will get out to small communities that you're being scum and you'll be shot on sight.
>>
>>480824
>If you hit the lungs and major arteries, then you're going to be tracking it.

lol haven't shot many animals through the lungs have you? They don't go far...
>>
File: best BOB gun.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
best BOB gun.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>480111
>i'm always a little curious why so many of you load up with a 10/22, often with a scope on it. ...?

The Ruger 10/22 is effective and very reliable and .22LR allows for more ammo to be carried and is perfectly suited for hunting small game in a SHTF situation, (you won't be going for Boone & Crockett bucks) yet still effective at driving away threatening humans.

But I'll agree about the scope; in a SHTF situation, it's unneeded and liable to be broken and hinders short range shooting, which is what you'll be doing.

I'd also add; a folding stock would be preferable, (particularly on a Ruger 10/22 Takedown model) as it will allow you to stash the rifle in a pack out of sight, so that it won't be seized by police / military if you've got to go through a road block.
>>
File: Woolimate fleece.jpg (26 KB, 328x369) Image search: [Google]
Woolimate fleece.jpg
26 KB, 328x369
>>480682
> bivy
> sleeping bag
> tent

For a Bug-Out-Bag, I'd say that a tent and sleeping bag are excessive weight and bulk and in the event you have to quickly bug-out from your bug-out location, you'll liable to have to leave them behind.

IMO it would be preferable to pack a pair of thick fleece pants and a jacket to wear under your GoreTex rain suit, which packs down much smaller, will provided the needed insulation as well as wind and rain protection, is quick drying and you can wear it while on the move in cold weather.
>>
File: muhshit (2).png (1 MB, 1403x557) Image search: [Google]
muhshit (2).png
1 MB, 1403x557
What else should I add? What should I remove?
>>
File: snailcat3.png (90 KB, 490x293) Image search: [Google]
snailcat3.png
90 KB, 490x293
I cant find my picture
Have a snailcat instead
>>
>>480497
Chiappa X-Caliber is 12 ga and 22lr break action.
>>
>>481143
Then, just walk without sleeping or engage full hobo mod.

But in this case, the axe, knives, cordage and everything that is not food/water/clothes you are wearing/one gun is useless.

>>481169
Remove the tactical cat, the pump, half your bandages, half your medicament, the shovel
add twice the food you have, a warm clothe, 2L of water and a bag to contain your things.
>>
>>481183
Cat removed, no pumpy thingy? It weighs nothing so I kept it. Gone. Shovel = axe too and I refuse to live my life without an E-tool. The rest alright replaced.

What bag should I upgrade too? My current is a hunk of shit.
>>
>>481134
"threatening humans" is not a thing. You have friendly groups of humans that will point ten guns at you the same second, and you have bullets that come out of nowhere.

If you want to defend yourself, get friends with guns. The choice of the guns don't matter. The choice of the friends do.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (120 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
120 KB, 1280x720
>>481186
>shovel=axe
I want to see you using it. If its just to cook your meals... well, you have only MREs anyway.

As long as your bag contain shit, it's a good bag.
>>
>>481191
I don't mind getting new/better stuff. It was a gift, I've used it a few times. Its amazing how well it works.
>>
File: Polarfleece.jpg (133 KB, 611x1000) Image search: [Google]
Polarfleece.jpg
133 KB, 611x1000
>>481183
>Then, just walk without sleeping or engage full hobo mod.

Dunno what you mean by "full hobo mode" but going without sleep simply isn't an option, yet a sleeping bag will very likely get soaked/ripped up and it's of no use for insulation when on the move, unlike a thick fleece jacket and pants which can be worn under/over clothes.
>>
File: tacticool to the eXtreme.jpg (82 KB, 786x440) Image search: [Google]
tacticool to the eXtreme.jpg
82 KB, 786x440
>>481188

I'm not disagreeing, but the point is; the best gun _specifically_ for a bug-out bag, in which case a Ruger 10/22 tops the list, as you're not looking to battle terrorists in Fallujah, you're hunting squirrels.
>>
>>481204
It's not enough to sleep on cold weather.
But I mean, if your BoB is just for a 3 days trip, you can just walk here day and night for 2 days while only sleeping short naps on abandoned cars/structures.
>>
File: ARMY No1 Greatcoat.jpg (109 KB, 574x800) Image search: [Google]
ARMY No1 Greatcoat.jpg
109 KB, 574x800
>>481208
>It's not enough to sleep on cold weather.

Nonsense; synthetic long underwear + heavy fleece + GoreTex rain suit + wool socks + (loosely tied) boots + fleece hat + gloves will keep you warmer then huddling in a soaked and ripped sleeping bag in your tighty whiteys.

I go with a wool military surplus great coat before I'd take a sleeping bag.
>>
>>481221
This is the fedora of /fit/.

If you want to sleep in warm clothes while it's 5°c outside with wind and rain, it's your problem, but you should try it before.

Your body generate almost no heat when you sleep deeply. Clothes are designed for when you are active.
>>
>>481207
You never know what you are going to meet.
Sometime it's a bird or a squirrel, then .22 is okay, but another day, it will be a nutria, a racoon, a swan... I would say that a caliber that can't reliably kill a boar with one well placed shot is not the best suited for SHTF.
>>
>>481221
This is a really good way to wake up cold every. single. time. The wet clothes (sweat) from the day are TERRIBLE insulators compared to a dry sleeping bag.
>>
File: 28 Days Later.jpg (32 KB, 660x352) Image search: [Google]
28 Days Later.jpg
32 KB, 660x352
>>481374
>The wet clothes (sweat) from the day are TERRIBLE insulators

That goes without saying but you're going to have change your clothes before using a sleeping bag also, unless you're suggesting you crawl inside buck naked.... in the middle of a SHTF situation?
>>
>>480102
Needs a bivy sack in case of rain.
>>
>>480569
Field strip those MREs and you could get two more of them in there with minimal or no loss of calories.
>>
>>481169

SAM splints are a waste of space. These things are retarded and I hate them. They are intended for professional EMT/paramedics because these individuals are supposed to appear professional and encounter injuries requiring said devices VERY frequently. They are absolutely stupid to take innawoods or as emergency first aid because similarly effective devices can be improvised very easily from your surroundings...in most areas. So...long story short, lose the sam splint. former EMT and current MD here.
>>
>>481407
If it's cold outside? Hell yes I'm going to stay warm because I'm going to conceal myself while I'm sleeping.
>>
>>480590
>Implying this board was ever autism free

b-but... the cot--the cotton!
>>
>>481456
I don't know. If you were in a mountainous area or an area where there is a high risk of breaking bones, I think it would be a good idea.

Sure, you can improvise, but that takes time, and assumes the ability to move around.
>>
>ITT: Flustered anons attempt to justify taking various relatively useless items with them in case SHTF.

we all have our bitch kit. it's okay. at least say it like it is : it makes us comfier to have it than not. it's a psych thing.
>>
>>481819
What? What is this? A relatively realistic and well-adjusted view of BoB's?

What a unicorn.
>>
>>481456
Its just one of them and they are also good for collecting rain water in buckets. Pair them with some coffee filters and you have yourself a GREAT rain-water treatment system.
>>
File: 1394216290112.jpg (193 KB, 520x853) Image search: [Google]
1394216290112.jpg
193 KB, 520x853
>>481834
>GREAT
>>
>>481456
>MD
Seriously? Why are you here and not using you're gainful employment to lead a fulfilling life?
>>
>>481886
>Seriously? Why are you here and not using you're gainful employment to lead a fulfilling life?

I'm a resident and work 80 hrs a week. Otherwise life is aight.
>>
>>481948
GP?
>>
>>481954
Pretty sure everyone doing their residency work their asses off.
>>
>>481967
I meant general practice, I guess these days they call it primary care.
>>
>>480190
Didn't know you could kill deer with figure 4 dead falls
>>
>>480206
223 ballistic tip. Plenty of power and low weight.

I kill everything in NA with it.
>>
>>480701
That's why the policy is move slowly and quietly and kill anyone moving towards you if you can.
>>
File: innawoods2.png (1 MB, 817x610) Image search: [Google]
innawoods2.png
1 MB, 817x610
Went through my bag this weekend and reorganized. Doesnt include rifle/ammo or any edc items. Am I in the right direction?
>>
>>481948
>GP/primary care

Yep.
>>
>>481688
> I'm going to conceal myself while I'm sleeping.

That also goes without saying, but as this is a discussion of bug-out bags for a shit-hits-the-fan situation, one must consider that there are going to hordes of unprepared, terrified, starving city-slickers wandering across the countryside, so there's a very good chance they'll stumble across your "concealed" sleeping spot (no doubt looking for the same thing) and you don't want to be bundled up, buck naked in a sleeping bag if that happens.
>>
File: samsplint_productpage_322.jpg (80 KB, 427x470) Image search: [Google]
samsplint_productpage_322.jpg
80 KB, 427x470
>>481456
>SAM splints are a waste of space because similarly effective devices can be improvised very easily from your surroundings

Again; people seem to be forgetting the conditions; The shit has hit the fan, you're not car camping where you can conveniently drive to an emergency room and get that taken care of, you're stumbling down back roads and trails trying to escape the city and vast hordes of desperate and dangerous people.

The last thing you want to do, is try to nigger-rig some kinda half-ass splint out of sticks and string...
>>
>>484049
Didn't see TP/wet wipes. You might want to think about beefing up your first aid stuff. More bandaids, tweezers, forceps, magnifying glass, Neosporin, stuff like that. Maybe some larger dressings. Ace wrap. And meds- benadryl, pseudoephedrine, motrin, immodium, eye drops, plus anything specific to your needs.

Look at replacing one flashlight with a headlamp. And all lights/lamps should share a battery size.

Glow sticks are a personal preference thing. Personally, I don't like the short shelf life. I substitute a couple of dollar store LED tea lights.
>>
>>481191
>Old car tire over the chopping log

Smart... Never seen that one before.
>>
>>484049
I have the same hammock.. but I can't seem to set it up for anything more then a nap. Cannot sleep in it.
>>
>>480241

Go get 'em, Tiger!
>>
>>480358
more aussies shitting up 4chins.

sad you need to declare "purposes of use" instead of the implied anti-tyranny presence it has here in the USA
>>
>>480693
until either your cold gives out a cough, your isolation far from any training you may or may not ever have had causes you to walk right into traps, or your PTSD makes you start screaming at hallucinations.

...that said, bunkering down and prepping best include big bore (not .22lr, it's all gone anyway), tree IEDs, and pungi traps all over your killzone less you wanna be culturally enriched by Trayvon or diddled by Tex both of whom have come 'round all hungry with a boner.
>>
>>484077
I'd rather be comfortable in my underwear and armed than bother with freezing my butt off sleeping in the sweaty clothing I was wearing that day. Plus you need to let your feet air out, loosely tied boots aren't going to accomplish that.
>>
Everytime I get on out I am reminded why I camp alone.
>>
>>480656

As much as any of us hate to admit it, a get home bag would be more useful to us 99.999999999% of the time. Not saying a BOB isn't useful or unneeded, but you're right that a lot of people could stand to be a little more pragmatic
>>
>>484125
I agree on the TP/Wet Wipe advice. Nothing worse than wiping your ass with crusty leaves. The fak has neosporin in it, but an ace bandage would be a good idea too. I'll probably skip the other stuff, seeing how this is only a 5 day max bag.
>>484284
I love that hammock. Would rather sleep in that than my own bed. I lay out my sleeping bag in it, and use a bundled up sweatshirt for a pillow. What are your issues with it that cause you not to sleep well?
>>
File: SRT7.8StainlessRuggerMarkIII-2.jpg (31 KB, 800x410) Image search: [Google]
SRT7.8StainlessRuggerMarkIII-2.jpg
31 KB, 800x410
>>481048
>And its a lot harder to hunt with a pistol instead of a rifle

That is entirely based on the shooter's skill, and to an extent the pistol choice. Something like picture related would be easy to hunt with.
>>
File: th.jpg (11 KB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
11 KB, 300x217
>>480102
and Picture releated is my BOB vehicle

>ssrsly you carry way too much
>>
>>480611
old fucked up stuff. if possible: sell everything. buy new things.
>>
File: IMG_4713.jpg (609 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4713.jpg
609 KB, 2592x1944
>>
>>485365
WTF? Have you ever fired a gun before? Its easier to shoot with a longer gun than a shorter one, its has nothing to do with skill it's just simple mechanics; if you can shoot great pistol you can shoot better with a long arm. There is literally no difference when it comes to shooting the both of them. If were you try and at shoot me with a $3000 pistol and I have a $200 rifle, I will shoot and kill you outside of your pistol range. The same thing when hunting. Go back to COD jackass.
>>
>>485656
holy shit. I agree with you bro, but you sound super triggered. Did a match-grade handgun rape your mother or something?
>>
>>480102
>no collapsible stock on the ruger
>not the youth model
top kek
>>
>>485656
I specified for HUNTING, jackass. Using a pistol would be for saving space as it takes up less room/weight than a rifle. The ability to shoot that rifle accurately beyond the range of a pistol is based on practice and skill level of the shooter- thank you for proving my point. Pistol/rifle ballistics aren't as different as you'd think when they shoot the same round and I think the video demonstrates that.

https://youtu.be/Y6Z1qkm_svE

>>485680
That's a suppressed pistol, not a match grade. They look similar, though.
>>
>>485845
>bringing a pistol instead of a long-gun for hunting
lol
>>
>>485846
>thinking a .22 pistol doesn't carry a similar range to a rifle

And this guy was shooting a short barreled version at 200 yds:
https://youtu.be/xmZB6r7AahI
>>
>>485629
Hopefully you work at academy if you're going to buy strictly from their camping I
section.
>>
>>486266
Camping section** my touch screen has a mind of its own.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>485863
Just give it up, you're obviously someone who has never shot a gun before.

>Pistol/rifle ballistics aren't as different as you'd think

That was never my point, dumbass. Ballistics are about the same (longer barrels have slightly higher velocity, that's about it though), if it's the same bullet being fired. That's my point. A longer gun is easier to shoot with because it's well longer. You can hold it steadier, and you have more barrel length between the blades so it's more accurate. The principles of firing a handgun are identical to firing a rifle. If you can shoot a handgun good, you can shoot a rifle better.

By your logic (pic related) is a practical hunting device, better even because its "takes less room/weight" like that fucking matters for hunting, go back to COD jackass.
>>
Anyone here have a radio in their BOB? I'm considering one but I don't know what the best option is
>>
File: 61nPk13O3JL._SL1000_.jpg (83 KB, 1000x824) Image search: [Google]
61nPk13O3JL._SL1000_.jpg
83 KB, 1000x824
>>486946
Boafeng is the standard for ham radio/emergency channels.

TBH, a good midland or samsung wouldn't hurt in place. I personally have a couple of Midands to go with my baofeng, because they are recharable by USB, (my solar charger can charge) or you can swap out the recharable battery for 3 AAAs. I use AAA for my universal. If it's not AAA, its not in my prep kit. I also found a 100 pack of Duracels on woot a while back for 14 bucks.

Unless you're talking about a radio like pic related (also AAA compatable, of course) These are pretty useful too, but you can't communicate with them.
>>
>>486947
and honestly, in a SHTF scenario, how much privacy are any channels going to have? None, I promise. Worst thing you could do, is give away your location to someone after your shit. Or god forbid your loved one.

Useful for asking for help, or having a coded conversation. Never underestimate people's capability to triangulate your location based off of you broadcasting. It's not terribly hard if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>485365
>.22 subsonic peestol made to break light bulb

Are you hunting flies?
>>
You have a ton of useless small items but you will freeze at night.

>>485629
Good day pack man, but you will die the first night and if you don't, starve the second day.
>>
>>485390
well used trusted gear that i know can take a beating and i am less likely to get robbed for as it looks like and to an extent is battered old shit
>>
>>485656
>If were you try and at shoot me
wat?
>>
>>480102
>Shit Hit The Fan
>10+ DVDs
>4 USBs
>Cellphone
8)
>>
>>480621
Not who you're responding too but if you go to a hospital with what looks to be a knife or gun wound they will report it to the police, possibly call the police. I assume this is what he's referring too.
>>
>>487157
I think he's talking about how people see a pistol as a legitimate battle weapon, as opposed to a rifle which is better in every way that matters. It's the same concept with hunting.
>>
>>486910
You're missing my point. A pistol is just as viable for hunting as a .22 rifle because of the game/range you're hunting. So my argument is that because of the reduced weight/space a .22 pistol is suitable for a BOB. Carrying a rifle with you while walking for miles is a pain compared to just a pack.

>someone who has never shot a gun before.
My pattern is like 6 inches at 500 yards. What's up?

>>486994
>because .22 air rifles aren't killing small game every day at subsonic muzzle velocities
Are you dumb?
>>
>>485629
this is a joke, right?
>>
>>488256
Different anon here. Can you specify what's got you all triggered?
>>
>>487425
>better in every way
weigh more
cannot be holstered
cannot be easily put away for rain
must be carried for long periods
.22 still only effective at pistol distances

There appear to be some holes in your logic.
>>
>>488256
Chill out mountain man, he might venture out into the woods...one day...one day...maybe. The important thing is that he's stimulating the economy.
>>
>>480102
you forgot to mention the big lebowski dvd you bring with you everytime
>>
File: bob bike.jpg (275 KB, 1200x819) Image search: [Google]
bob bike.jpg
275 KB, 1200x819
I hope this is the right thread to post this but I'm looking to get a bike as an alternate means of transport as a BOV. I haven't ridden a bike in years and I'm not too sure which is the most common of tire sizes for available parts. right now I'm looking at a 27" Shogun T1000 Hybrid, or a 29" Shogun Stryker Cruiser.

Pic somewhat related, as this will have the racks I want to mount to it.
>>
>>488919
28" and 29" are the same size. Very common. Standard size for road bikes.
26" also common.
27.5" fairly common.
>>
>>488927
>Standard size for road bikes
What's the standard for mountain or trail bikes?
Not being a smart ass, its just I'm vastly out of touch when it comes to bikes larger than 20". The only format I was really skilled in was 20" BMX while I also had a 10 speed, I never used it much.

What new features should I look for or avoid when choosing a bike for possibly going off road if need be?
I also plan on putting racks on the front and rear to carry extra gear as well as look for a trailer.
Anyone use these before and what are your thoughts?
>>
>>4889463
>What's the standard for mountain or trail bikes?
26" used to be the standard for mountain bikes, but these days 26", 27.5", and 29"(=28") are fairly common, with perhaps 29" in the lead for new bikes.

>What new features should I look for or avoid when choosing a bike for possibly going off road if need be?
>I also plan on putting racks on the front and rear to carry extra gear as well as look for a trailer.
The kind of bike you're probably looking for is a touring bike. It's typically a bike that's made to be efficient and comfortable for long distances on the road, able to carry stuff, and have reasonable off-road capability. On the cheap, rigid (no suspension) mountain bikes make good tourers if you change the tires.

For long distances, having handlebars that you can hold in several different ways is nice. Being able to change hand positions can really help avoiding pain and fatigue on long rides.

Don't be afraid of hydraulic disc brakes. They have superior performance and are a lot easier to service than you might imagine.
>>
File: 1383834863066.jpg (471 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1383834863066.jpg
471 KB, 1280x960
>>488946
Mountain bikes have had multiple sizes over a short time due to manufacturers marketing some new technology to make up for their lack of ability.

The first MTBs used 26" wheels. This is an American wheel size found on Schwinn cruisers that early mountain cyclists used. It's not actually 26 inches.

Then came the "29er." The rim is just a 700C (typically a road size rim) with larger tires.

650B or 27.5" is another new thing manufacturers are putting out. It's larger than 26" but smaller than a 29er.

700C, 650B, 650C and other sizes derive from old French tire sizing. The actual size can be found on the tire in parentheses. 700C is 622 mm, 650B is 584 mm, and 26'' is 559 mm.
>>
>>488956
>>488958

Thanks for the input. I was a little hesitant on the disc brakes as that was totally new to me and the old school clamp brakes sucked when they got wet.
When I was little I used to put serious miles on my bike just for fun so I know the importance of a comfy seat/saddle and decent handlebars.

I looked up my credit card reward points and I got enough to get a bike and there's two that I have been looking at that might fit my needs, the only problem is they are not designed to be what I would like the end result to be. They are made by Kent and the Shogun T1000 has a front suspension that would cancel out a front rack but it has a rear rack already on it and it is a 21 speed, another downside is it has the old school clamp brakes. The other Kent bike is the 29" Shogun Stryker Cruser, coaster brakes, fat tires (in the picture I think they are fat tires), however there's no gear selection or places to mount racks for the front and rear.
I'll post the links and you let me know what you think. Basically this is a free bike shipped to my door and I only get one shot at a good freebee.

http://www.kent.bike/22798/shogun-t1000-hybrid-mens

http://www.kent.bike/22988/29-shogun-stryker-cruiser

Thanks.
>>
If you're only shooting vermin then an air rilfe is really the best option.
>>
>>488966
Wouldn't get the second one. Stupid and uncomfortable (for long rides) geometry, coaster brakes suck and hard to service, no gears. It's shit.

First one should work OK. Keep in mind that if you're not happy with the stock tires you can just change. You'll probably want to lower the handlebars on it. You'll want them at around seat height.
>>
>>488993
One of my old bikes had coaster breaks and compared to the clamp style brakes on two bikes with only single gear ratio, I would go with coaster. However, for different terrain I would insist on a multi-gear bike.

Speaking of changing out the tires I heard somewhere that there are solid tires, this true or rumor?
The reason I ask is that I don't want to be stuck anywhere with a flat, or get a flat with no time to repair the tire. Another thing is that this bike will be carrying me, by bag, and other gear so the tires will have to be heavy duty.
>>
>>489007
>Speaking of changing out the tires I heard somewhere that there are solid tires, this true or rumor?
They exist, but they're useless. And I mean useless.
>>
>>489010
>And I mean useless

Bummer.

Well, thanks for the info, /k/ really isn't much help on these kinds of things.

On a side note, I was looking at getting a Baufeng radio for comms. I used to have a bunch of links saved but my HD took a shit and I lost them. Do you or anyone here have any links on Baufeng basics? I'm looking for beginner stuff like programming the radio, how to program, that kind of stuff.
>>
>>488505
>weigh more

Not really

>cannot be holstered

And? This helps me shoot animals how?

>cannot be easily put away for rain

Folding stock and removable barrel, or just ya know put a trash bag over it.

>must be carried for long periods

What's that even supposed to mean? If you have any kind of gun you're carrying it.

>.22 still only effective at pistol distances

.22 is effective at .22 range. It's more accurate when platformed in a long arm. I know how much this board has gone to the aspies, but do you realize how many vermin (squirrel, rabbit, armadillos) you need to shoot just to get enough calories to not keel over?
>>
>>488146
>A pistol is just as viable for hunting as a .22

Viable how? It's less accurate and precise then a good 10/22. Do you know how much small game you need to just clear 2000kcal? You need to shoot as accurately and as consistently as possible. Like from a rifle. And not some gimmick handgun.

>My pattern is like 6 inches at 500 yards. What's up?

That might be impressive if I was retarded, and from a farm, but I'm not; so it isn't. You're also comparing shooting paper to hunting. That's like saying looking at a porn mag is the same as having sex. In either case you're equating shooting at paper to an actual experience. Go back to COD jackass.
>>
>>483784

... With no experience doing either.

Good luck, champ.
>>
>>489233
>a target made of flesh is harder to hit than a target made of paper
>>
>>489233
If you practice and know how to shoot a damned pistol you can effectively kill game with it. If you hunt to begin with, you are used to taking game. All you have to do it hunt with a pistol. Give it up. Yes a rifle is easier to fire, but a skilled shooter with a pistol is just as effective as a low skilled shooter with a rifle. Am I EVER going to shoot a squirrel at 100 yards? No. Am I EVER going to shoot one at 50 yards? Probably not, even with a rifle in SHTF, since ammo is precious.

Carrying a rifle constantly uses more energy, even slung over your shoulder. If you haven't hiked for miles with a pack and rifle you will not understand this.
"An ounce in the morning is a pound in the afternoon"
>>
>>489285
There is some sentiment to this if you haven't taken game before.
Target that moves and associated adrenaline rush.
>>
>>489285
There is more to an animal than just moving.

You clearly haven't hunted nor have you spend much time observing animals in the wild.
>>
>>488146

Pattern is what you get with a shotgun.
>>
>>489316
>a skilled shooter with a pistol is just as effective as a low skilled shooter with a rifle

Unless you're talking about a toddler with a 10/22 then no they don't. There isn't a hunter alive who uses a pistol (with all the shortcoming of being a pistol) instead a rifle just to save weight "because rifles are heavy". Why don't you try using your "awesome" mk.3 and try to hunt for enough calories to live on.

>Am I EVER going to shoot a squirrel at 100 yards

Do you know what accuracy means? It's not "how far I can shoot".

>>488146

Do you mean grouping you fuckin' aspie? Browsing /k/ doesn't count as shooting a gun or hunting experience.
>>
>>489711
>accuracy
if the PISTOL is just as CAPABLE as hitting the target as the RIFLE, then it is ENTIRELY dependent on the SHOOTER

Just because a rifle is capable of holding a group at 1000 yards doesn't mean the shooter is capable of placing those shots.

Pattern. Grouping. Whatever. I don't browse /k/
>>
>>480611
Billy can =legit
>>
>>488927
>>488946
>bicycle mechanic reporting in

>29"
Technically similar in size to road bike, although road bikes are considered 700c.
29ers are taking over the market for hardtails (front suspension only) and rigid (no suspension) mountain bikes. With such a large diameter, they roll over everything, and hold speed well. Surley is a great brand for a 29er, and I recommend going with a hardtail as suspension requires frequent maintenance (if you care about your bike)
>27.5"
Contrary to popular belief, 27.5 (aka 650b) is closer to 26" than 29" making it a little more stable than 26" but still has the ability to get caught up on roots and rocks.
>26"
The playful and fun mtb wheel size. For a BOV I don't recommend as nowadays these bikes are meant to be thrown around.

>Regular Width or Fat Bike?
Fat bikes have become more and more popular in the last year. They are great in the snow and sand but also face challenges including rare and expensive rims/hubs/tubes/tires. Coming on the market within the next 6 months or so will be mid fat bikes. Not normal width (Aprox 2-3") and not fat bike width (Aprox 5")

>What groupset?
Every mechanic is going to tell you a million things but I would avoid srams mountain components. Shimano's deore groupset is not only affordable, but reliable, and features the best hydraulic disc brakes at that price point. With that being said, hydro brakes are reliable, but in extreme temperatures can lose that reliability. Some often find a nice mech disc break, adjusted properly, to suffice for long bikepacking trips.

>What are my other options?
Cyclocross bikes offer more speed on road with the capability to transfer to off road.
Single speed 29ers are almost maintenance free beasts if you have the legs.

Just my opinion. Any other questions please ask away!
>>
>>480102
>no medical grade morphine
>>
>>481178
Saved
>>
>>490025
>Pattern. Grouping. Whatever.

If you can't be bothered to learn the proper terminology of an activity, that raises a red flag. It raises suspicions that you might not have the experience/skills that you claim.

It also gives the impression that you're somewhat lackadaisical and haphazard if/when you do engage in said activity.
>>
>>490229
I asked this question with someone else but what are your thoughts on solid tires?
I want to try to come up with every possible scenario and purchase accordingly. However I got a free bike coming my way and what coin I save here can be repurposed somewhere else.
>>
>>490536
I interchanged two terms that are related to each other in a post so I don't know terminology. Alright buddy, keep compensating.
>>
>>490536
>It also gives the impression that you're somewhat lackadaisical and haphazard if/when you do engage in said activity.
Oh no, god forbid someone seems lackadaisical!

I am an avid hunter but I don't hang around with other firearm owners and am not part of the "gun culture". I probably misuse terms all the time, who gives a fuck.
>>
>>490519
You need to ask permission first!
>>
>>490561
You're a fucking idiot. The two terms are not related. Your response and ad hom illustrate my point better than any number of posts I could have made.
>>
>>490569
Since part of the definition of the term includes "carelessly lazy", yeah, it's a matter of some concern.

You don't have to immerse yourself in gun culture to have a basic working knowledge of the terminology.

Your claim of being an avid hunter raises my suspicions, especially when coupled with your statement about not hanging out with other gun owners. If you were that avid, you'd most likely be inclined to associate with others who share your interest.
>>
>>490540
They're cool but:
>HEAVY (Remember, this is rotational weight, not static weight, you'll feel it more)
>you can't change PSI per terrain.
>they are a BITCH to get on and off. Literally takes 4 grown men for one wheel
>>
>>490025
>if the PISTOL is just as CAPABLE as hitting the target as the RIFLE

But they aren't, and someone whose ever shot both will never coincide this. Why is this so hard to get through your thick head?
>>
>>480117
For what it's worth my great grandpa would kill deer with a .22 pistol. He would set up a salt lick under his tree stand and BOOM HEADSHOT.
For bugout I'd probably pick .22 as well. More ammo/weight.
>>
>>490569
You're making yourself look more and more retarded with each post, just shut up dude lol

>avid pistol hunter

That should be your trip hahahahahahaha
>>
>>489711
>>490025
>>490781
At 75 yards I'm just as accurate with a pistol as I am with a rifle. Nobody I know has taken a deer at ranges longer than that. If it was legal to carry a handgun where I live I'd be hunting durr and small game with one.
>>
>>490863
From a table at the range maybe. Try hitting a rabbit or squirrel at 40 yards with a pistol as opposed to a rifle.

>Nobody I know has taken a deer at ranges

I'm callin bullshit, you specifically ask every hunter you encounter "have you ever taken a deer past 75 yards?" Most the deer I've downed with a bow were further away than that.
>>
>>480107
What do you guys think of this knife? It's on MassDrop for like 12 bucks rn (inb3 corporate shill)
>>
>>490715
Gotcha.
I was thinking later down the road in case of all hell would break loose I didn't want to get a flat at the worst possible time, you know, cover all possible worst case scenarios.

What do you recommend for making the tires as flat resistant as possible other than avoiding getting flats. I heard about tire slime and for one of my older cars I used it in the tires with some pretty good results.
>>
>>490889
Mora knives are good for what little they cost, I got one myself.

Knives are like any tool, expect to shell out for quality. Another thing to look for is a full tang, the Mora is not a full tang but a 3/4 tang at best. Also the quality/type of steel, meaning that stainless is good for keeping the blade from rusting but it dulls easier than high carbon, while high carbon will hold an edge longer but its also more tedious to sharpen and you have to make sure you keep a thin coating of oil or grease to protect the steel.
>>
>>490889
One more thing to keep in mind is the type of blade you will be working with, a 6 inch blade will not be so easy to work with intricate bushcraft or game processing, and a smaller knife doesn't fair too well with batoning wood. But I think you probably already know that.
>>
>>490913
Slime does nothing.
Your best bet
>puncture resistant tires
Spend your money here. Continental makes some great ones.
>MAINTAIN PSI
I can't even begin to explain it how many flats could be avoided with proper tire pressure. Rubber is porous and loses air over time. Check pressure BEFORE EVERY RIDE

Slime and thick tubes as well as the rubber strips some put between tube and tire do absolutely nothing except waste money and weight.
>>
>>491069
>Check pressure BEFORE EVERY RIDE
wut

you don't really do this, do you?
>>
>>491071
I don't attack my pump every time I go for a ride, but it's not hard to press your thumb against the tire.
>>
>>491069
>>puncture resistant tires

Now that is a new one for me, last time I rode bikes for fun/transport, puncture resistant tires were just a dream. I had many a flat from broken glass or a nail in the road that I couldn't avoid in time.

Yeah, I know about doing a safety/function check on a bike before I roll out and tires are first on the list. I'm not a total noob, I just need some recommendations on the latest gear available. My knowledge is a bit outdated to say the least.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqaFrdQjQEo
>>
I'll stay at home and ride it out.
>>
>>491071
>>491079
Mainly on my road bikes. 110 psi only stays 110 psi for about 18 hours. And as a mechanic I'm no stranger to the pump. Only takes me a few seconds per wheel.
>>
>>480102
you will never use those sutures. Are you gonna sew yourself up? What medical emergency may arrive where you will need those when steristrips, tape, direct pressure will fail. You'll end up sewing in an infection and making your problems worse. Sutures are a secondary medical wound management technique, not first aid.
>>
>>480102
lol all that time and money wasted to be a tin foil hat faggot loser. life must be interesting when you are a fucking psycho.

lol i'm just kidding, but seriously does all that stuff fit in your trailer home?

Warning: incoming, predictable long rant about how i'll be sorry when the zombies/niggers/liberals attack. i won't see see it though, will be doing something useful in another thread. don't be mad.
>>
File: bug out bag.jpg (154 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
bug out bag.jpg
154 KB, 960x720
>>480102
>>481169
>>480569
>>484049

Like you're even going to need half that stuff
>>
>>480130
-1 because imo chlr. is for sanitizing materials, equip., etc. NOT for human consumption (unless you like diareaha).
>>
File: 1417463651657.gif (2 MB, 480x204) Image search: [Google]
1417463651657.gif
2 MB, 480x204
>>491178
+10 because you remembered the laser-pen.
>gunna get dem squirrels guuuuuuudd!
>>
>>491178
Oh, i have the same calculator. Pretty good to survive outdoor !
>>
>>480518
>>surgeon kit but no sterilized room to come with

To quote my vet... "it's a clean environment, it doesn't have to be a sterile environment"

I'm sure if you had a bullet in you that needed to come out, you wouldn't be bitching that you weren't sitting on a stainless steel table.
>>
>>490698
>>490698
> both terms refer to a distance that projectiles from a firearm hit a target from the penetration point of another projectile fired from the same firearm

Yeah, totally not related dude. Now you're just making yourself look dumb.
>>
>>490879
And here comes the bullshit parade.
>>
>>490781
But they are comparably accurate. The videos in my posts previously demonstrate pistols taking 100 yard shots, one of them on a golf ball! So, just because you cannot hit targets with a pistol doesn't mean others can't. Yes, it is easier to shoot a rifle, but that doesn't make the pistol inaccurate, it makes you a bad shot with a pistol.
>>
I recently purchased a military surplus Finnish gas mask bag with the intent to use it as a car survival kit. What are some essentials? My list so far is:
Metal water bottle (can boil water in it too)
Paracord
Toilet paper
Compass
Knife
Duct tape
Gloves
Hat
Emergency blanket
Poncho
Small first aid kit
Lighter
Matches
Cotton balls covered in Vaseline
>>
>>491334
One term is in reference to shooting rifles or handguns, the other is in reference to firing shotguns. They're as related as the CEP of a fucking howitzer shell.

You're a fucking idiot who can't tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun.
>>
>>491403
A tin cup and some 12 hour camp candles. With that setup, you can make hot beverages. Which is why you want to include some bouillion cubes and non-caffeine teas. The idea being that you're going to stay with your car. Think of it as a ready made shelter. A candle can keep the interior temperature above freezing. You have to pay attention to ventilation, though.

A cranklight and solar charger for your phone. A half dozen contractor-grade trashbags, more duct tape, basic tools (might be able to fix your car and get rolling again), Sterno, about 30 feet of stainless wire, towstrap, a case of bottled water, spare footwear, a change of clothes, maybe a tarp.

That's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>491071
I was getting punctures in my tubes about once a month. Bought some thick as tubes, put in liners, and and slimed them. Haven't had a puncture in over a year.....

And Slime does help. I have seen many small holes filled with slime, and my tubes still aired up.
>>
>>491336
>Yes, it is easier to shoot a rifle, but that doesn't make the pistol inaccurate,
Pistols are, by your own admission, less accurate in general than rifles. Just because its possible to train skill to such a high level that you can compete with a rifle for accuracy, doesn't mean the rifle isn't inherently MORE accurate to start with.

>men aren't stronger than women, look at this world-class female body builder! See, told you women and men are equal!
>>
>>491405
Yes, and both refer to how tightly your projectiles are placed together. Pretty well related. Your just an idiot who doesn't pattern his shotgun and find out what ammo it shoots the best.

>>491426
Accuracy has nothing to do with how easy it is to shoot a firearm. A rifle could be plenty accurate, but if it's so large you can't properly handle it and have trouble holding groups does that make the rifle inaccurate? No, it means the shooter can't handle the rifle.

I never said that a pistol is more accurate, I said they are comparable as they have similar ballistics. Therefore it is dependent on the shooter.
>>
>>480497
M6 scout
>>
>>491458
>I never said that a pistol is more accurate, I said they are comparable as they have similar ballistics. Therefore it is dependent on the shooter.
Yeah must be why sniper pistols are used by military and police all over the world.
>>
>>491403
Spare battery or some kind of charger for your phone.
>>
>>491273
11/10 gif, made my day
>>
>>485656
>being this nogunz
>>
>>491458
>Your just an idiot who doesn't pattern his shotgun and find out what ammo it shoots the best.

Obvious strawman is obvious. Damage control much? The discussion is about your (or the other anon's) misuse of basic terminology, and continuing defense of that misuse. Try to keep up, Forrest.
>>
>>491458
>A rifle could be plenty accurate, but if it's so large you can't properly handle it

That exact argument also applies to pistols. Moreso, actually, because the shooter is entirely dependent on grip to retain control. With rifles, the shoulder contact point offers greater control.

Your argument that rifles and pistols are inherently equally accurate is wrong. The longer sight radius on rifles is a physical feature that makes them more accurate. The configuration of a rifle eliminates more of the variables that affect accuracy. Details like minute differences in grip between shots have less effect for a rifle shooter.

All of this was discussed at great length starting in the 50s. Why are you reinventing the wheel?
>>
>>491623
Who cares? Stop letting your autism get to you. If you can kill deer and small game with it at 40 yards it's good to have. If it fits in your pocket, that's a bonus.
>>
>>491623
>entirely dependent on grip to retain control
Actually, I can provide bone support firing a pistol, why can't you?

>The longer sight radius on rifles is a physical feature that makes them more accurate
No. No it doesn't. It makes mistakes show up more readily. This literally has nothing to do with the firearm's ability to hit the target.
>>
>>492574
>This literally has nothing to do with the firearm's ability to hit the target.

Point to you, I worded that poorly. Also rechecked some sources. Ok, longer sight radius makes it easier for the shooter to be more accurate.

What makes long arms inherently more accurate is a function of barrel harmonics and the typically greater mass of a longarm.

Regarding shooter accuracy- I find that I'm more accurate from an Isosceles stance than any of the Weaver variants. I can reliably hit a tennis ball with my Redhawk at 25 yards. The fact remains, pistols have 2 very closely spaced contact points, long arms have 3 at longer intervals. This facilitates control and accuracy.

The immutable underlying fact is, people are going to carry whatever they're most comfortable with. Personally, I'm going with a 10/22.
>>
File: STALKER gasmaskreaction.jpg (14 KB, 280x300) Image search: [Google]
STALKER gasmaskreaction.jpg
14 KB, 280x300
>>480701
Get /out/ of here STALKER
>>
>>480836
So much paperwork to get a legal suppressor here in the US, and relying on a .22 for defense (Which is what handguns are for BTW) is not a terribly good idea. You are better off with your bow to hunt with and a 9mm pistol or .38 revolver for defense.
>>
>>488475
everything is from Target
>>
>>485365
i love this gun, so fun to shoot.
>>
File: SHTFKit.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
SHTFKit.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
>>480102
>>
>>493993
Do you apply liberal amounts of glue to yourself, run through the the sporting area at your closest Wal-mart, and put whatever sticks into your BoB?
>>
>>493993
How many cutting tools do you really need?
>>
>>493993
Lose one fixed blade knife, the hatchet or the saw, the pepper spray, the mushroom book, the windex, and the clp. That's just at first glance.
>>
>>494012
Underrated post
>>
>>488146
6 inch grouping at 500 yards?!?!? are you blind or just a terrible shot?
>>
File: Black-Friday-shopping.gif (2 MB, 400x179) Image search: [Google]
Black-Friday-shopping.gif
2 MB, 400x179
>>494012
At least he got there before the mob did.
>>
>>494012

I've seen worst.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.