[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any surveyors here? Interested in an /out/ job that involves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
Any surveyors here? Interested in an /out/ job that involves math/science and isn't conservation-focused.

>what kind of education is needed?
>is there other training/certification necessary after college?
>how soon after college did you find a job?
>>
File: john_howe_big_creek.jpg (156 KB, 640x370) Image search: [Google]
john_howe_big_creek.jpg
156 KB, 640x370
>>664313
Civil engineer here.

You need to get a degree. There might be some 2 year ones, but I am not sure.

Then you need to take your FS (fundementals of surveying) exam. I had to take and FE (fundamentals of engineering) it was super easy but I am not sure how it compares to the FS.

Then you work for a few years and take your PS exam (professional surveyor exam). Again, I took the PE. The PS was in the same room. The PE is known to be somewhat brutal, but the PS guys (and girl) looked fucking miserable.

Not trying to talk you out of it. Your best bet for experience would be to intern during the summer (assuming you are a full time student during the rest of the year). If you are in the USA, try working for a local DOT or a small survey crew. This work will not be what you want for your end goal.

After you are done with school, find a consulting firm that works in the bush. There are tons of them. Go to a state that is known for their vast areas of wilderness and mountainous/forest land.

I have had stories from people where they hike 4 hours, do a survey loop in knee deep snow, and hike back to the van.

My work is not that rewarding
>>
>>664313
>what kind of education is needed?
None, or you can join the labor union.
>is there other training/certification necessary after college?
No. Certificates are available for those pursuing their license. Some places don't require one to submit a map.
>how soon after college did you find a job?
Immediately. I got a job with the company I did my college internship with.

>>664564
I read somewhere that civil engineering was rewarding, but I think they include us with you guys. I took a basic structural engineering class for my architectural associates. Seemed like it was just a bunch of looking numbers up in charts. Surveyors never get the credit they deserve, and while I'm on the topic, why the do we have to use your software? Shouldn't you be using ours? We're the first guys out there doing any real work, and the last ones to leave.
>>
>>665726
>I read somewhere that civil engineering was rewarding

I did not mean to imply that I do not like my job, or that it is not rewarding. I just don't get to /out/ much during the day. And when I do, it generally is not hiking/backpacking out

>why the do we have to use your software
All of the surveyors I work with use Civil3d. I personally hate civil3d. It is a very buggy program that crashes all the time (at least the versions from a few years ago).

What program do yo want to use.
>>
Iv'e been working as a rod man/occasionally drawing plot plans for about 9 months. Im 21 and live in a mountains area, it's a great job but my boss is a dick.
>>
I work at a Hydrologic Technician with the US Geological Survey, and have learned a lot about surveying during my work. I enjoy the work, and actually looked into specializing more in this field. However, don't expect to make a lot of money. If you are working in certain areas with good land, it is a good option. However, surveying for a construction company is probably not as great.
>>
File: surveying.jpg (91 KB, 800x633) Image search: [Google]
surveying.jpg
91 KB, 800x633
Worked as a surveyor for about 5 years straight out of high school, not licensed. I got a bit lucky though, my dad was a surveyor and party chief and I would go out and help him and be his rodman during summers and whenever I wasn't at school. Learned auto cad and civil 3D. When i got done with high school his company hired me full time as a survey technician, basically a rodman and draftsman. couple years later, got promoted to a party chief and started taking out my own crew to do smaller jobs. It was a really good time especially when i got to go out in the field and see my own projects through from start to finish, but a lot of my time ended up being in the office dealing with architects, drawing maps, going to meetings etc. Definitely a combination of brains and brawn. Doing all of the little "cookie cutter" projects as we called them got tedious, shit for rich people who demanded too much in too little time and then wanted to know why it cost so much for us to put a couple little wooden sticks in the ground... but i'm sure if you could get involved in some epic dam or pipeline project it would be plenty rewarding.

The best times i had were doing boundary surveys for these gigantic parcels of land here in California. Bushwhacking and traversing your way through the back country trying to find an old redwood property corner stake that was set in the 1870s. Pretty awesome, especially when you found it.

Eventually decided the profession wasn't for me though.

Pic related, me on the left at age 20 i think.
>>
>>664313

Licensing requirements etc. can vary by state. The place where you live probably has some kind of association that you'd be better off directing your questions to.
>>
>>669083
your fat as fuck at 20
>>
File: G0040131.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1294) Image search: [Google]
G0040131.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1294
>>669098
Man that wasn't even the worst. I got up to 315 lbs at my heaviest. I'm now, fortunately, a svelte 200 thanks mostly to cycling, hiking and not eating like, well, an american haha.
>>
>>664564
What is this instrument called?
>>
>>669115
I believe it is a theodolite (tan) with an EDM mounted on top (orange). basically the old school version of the "total station" that surveyors use today. Hard to tell from the pic though.
>>
>>669122
thanks for the help
>>
>>665967
Anything but Civl3D.

AutoDesk needs to die.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.