[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wild Camping in Northern England
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Sup /out/, UK outgoer here.

I've read several guides on wild camping in Northern England, and thought I'd give it a go. I have been planning to walk along sections of the Pennine Way while camping off the path at night (obviously not too close to the path). It will probably be towards the northern area of the trail as water sources are more common. However I will still need to take food etc. and was wondering which foodstuffs are recommended as I will have limited space, but will probably be able to stock up at a local shop somewhere.

I also need a few tips on whether I should sleep under a tarpaulin or invest in a light tent (I'll be camping in August)

If anyone has experience with wild camping, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>
northern england is beautiful.

Advice for wild camping; if you don't disturb people or animals and you keep yourself well hidden then you'll be fine. if you want to make a fire make it preferably after nightfall, but most places are well secluded and the farmers don't care.

A tarpaulin will be fine.
>>
>>650776
self bumping
>>
>>650739
Mainly keep to the Lake District fells myself, but in my experience as long as you don't ruin the place with rubbish or firepits, don't camp on paths you'll be fine.

I've camped within 50m of the path before but this was in deep winter with snow and blizzards abound so I guess there was no one really to hassle me anyway. Personally if I see a tent when I'm out hiking I don't get offended or anything, I don't really see the issue myself.

For food I normally just use the MRE type stuff from Go Outdoors, don't taste too bad and pack quite well. My advice is to not try and go hard routine with your food, get some sweet stuff if you have room, it can really boost your morale if you're run down or knackered.

As >>650776 said a tarp's fine in August but a light tent would give you a tad more privacy etc. I tend to pack a tent most of the time just because I prefer the closed off nature of it, if it's too warm I can just whack open all the doors/ vents and it's pretty much a tarp.
>>
nuts, jerky,pop tarts, snickers are all great trail food. Get a jetboil stove and then you can make tea or ramen or mountain house meals. You can live off that easily supplemented with a burger or two (fishnchips) when you are in town
>>
Thanks for the pointers so far, any suggestions on which backpacks would be recommended? (I'll be going for about 3 - 5 days)
>>
I'll ask here. How is the unqualified work market in northern UK? Does a law abiding western euro citizen has a chance to get a job there? Farming or industry is no problem.
>>
>>651332
most likely be able to get a job just as easily as any UK citizen, especially on heavy farmlands and in industry
>>
>>651334
I guess I'll have to give it a try and go for a better life in 2016. Thanks lad.
>>
>>651370
No problem man
>>
>>651370
Where are you from?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.