[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need a 4 season tent if it's just cold as balls but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1295.jpg (24 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1295.jpg
24 KB, 500x359
Do I need a 4 season tent if it's just cold as balls but not much snow where I plan to camp? Most things I see about them mention that they're good for shit tons of snow, but if I have a good -20 bag or similar, are they that important?
>>
>>649940
4 season tents serve a few purposes, but they don't necessarily keep you "warmer. these tents typically have sturdy poles, thicker material, less open venting (less mesh net material to let in blowing snow) and stronger tie down points. They're designed for winter, this usually means heavy winds, heavy snow loads. Sometimes 4 season can be known as mountain or mountaineering tents.
However, the kind of tent you use in winter depends on the location and weather where you are playing. Below tree line in the mtns in winter I use the BD mega mid for weight savings.
If you're going to just camp and there is no worry for snow or wind, just use any old tent.
>>
>>649978
Average snowfall for where I plan to camp is less than half an inch a day in the winter, like I said it just gets stupid cold because lol mountains. Thanks for the info, so if I'm smart about where I pitch the tent for wind and have a good rainfly I should be good?
>>
>>649983
No. You will be miserable because its fucking cold outside and you will be cold. Report back on your suffering dumbass
>>
>>649991
>You will be miserable because its fucking cold outside and you will be cold
I mentioned in the OP I'll have a properly rated sleeping bag.
>>
>>649993
[alt-255] [alt-255] [alt-30] [enter] [alt 30] [alt 255] [alt 30]
>>
>>649983
Yeah. Im >>649978

I like to bring 2x sleeping pads to keep me insulated from the ground. An ensolite (foam) pad and a thermarest. Foam on the bottom. Depending on temps 0f or -20f maybe even -40f bag (where I live it can get real cold)
Increase the amount of food you eat, heavy emphasis on fats. Cheese &butter are your best friends.
Boil water and pour it into your nalgene/bottle before you get in the sleeping bag. Slide bottle into a sock, and you can use hot bottle for added wamrth, and you'll have unfrozen water in the AM. An old water bottle is nice for a piss bottle. Depending on your footwear, try to sleep with the boot liners (if you have double boots/plastics) in your bag to keep them from freezing or getting miserable cold to put back on. It also helps go start them drying out.
Doing some up and atom activities before crawling in your sleeping bag helps. If you crawl into the bag warm you'll heat up the loft/air space faster. I know it can be uncomfortable to really close up the mummy bag, but it really does help keep the warm in. Good luck and have fun.
>>
>>649940

Four-season is more about surviving exposed snow and wind conditions. Design features like strong poles and fabric and net to keep out spindrift.
>>
>>649993
>He thinks I mean at night while he is TRYING to sleep
>>
>>650164
It's only cold at night, day temps are 10+ degrees.
>>
>>649991
>>650164
So you don't go /out/ during the Winter? Why? Will your slippers get wet or something?
>>
>>650191
No. I don't go camping in the winter. No one does
>>
>>650353
You're a liar and a faggot. I wintercamp for about a week at a time. Layers are the answer to comfort. Fatty foods are the answer to maintaining heat within oneself. Something between your warm ass and the cold ground is the answer to sleeping.
>>
Just bring a tarp, keep the snow from crushing your tent. Your body can and will handle the the cold provided the is no draft.
>>
>>650441
>keep the snow from crushing your tent
There's literally no snow, average snowfall is like 6 inches a month.
>>
>>650353
Again, not true! Planning a snow camp at 10,000' and summit 12,600' the next day.

Protip: thete is no shitty weather, only shitty gear!
>>
>>650353
That's literally why it's the best season to camp. Way to prove a point faggot.
>>
>>650448
Eh, I'd have to disagree. I personally opt out of summit pushes when it's -20 degrees with 50 mph winds in a whiteout.
>>
>>650470
> hopeing for good weather

Just have to see what the next day brings. I would have no problem passing if the wind is up. White out doubtful.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.