[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: cop21-label_reduit.png (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cop21-label_reduit.png
40 KB, 300x300
The last one died. I have a question that might not be /out/ but I figure you guys might have an opinion one way or another. What does everyone think about the Paris Climate Change Conference? What do you want to see and how likely do you think real progress is?
>>
Third world governments don't give a fuck. They will keep destroying the world for a cheap buck.
And as long as first world activist think hashtags will effect government policy's we won't be able to change things either.
>>
>>638779
I don't think that's very accurate. Lots of really poor countries are the ones that are getting flooded or extreme drought as climate change continues. The problem is that poor countries don't have much power to do anything as they aren't big emitters and don't have much sway with China, US and Europe. Also, going clean costs money that they don't have.
>>
>>638784
As China becomes a less financially feasible place for mass production we will look to even poorer countries. Kicking off "industrial revolutions" in t
these corrupt countries. Even if these countries legislate initiatives to prevent pollution it doesn't mean the industry will put them into practise.
I watched a Vice on pollution in China. There industries dump chemicals that will strip the skin right off you directly into water ways. There are laws in place to prevent this, they even have equipment to prevent this, it's just cheaper to dump. Since they have the equipment the industry and government tell the people everything is being done and despite protests and class action law suits nothing changes.
>>
File: vibrant diversity.jpg (96 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
vibrant diversity.jpg
96 KB, 600x330
>>638779
This, unfortunately. I'm not sure there's even any point in trying until the population growth in India and sub-saharan Africa can be contained. If Europe / America / East Asia cut back emissions, the third world will be happy to take advantage of the resulting fall in coal and oil prices. The only real effect of these conferences can be to rape the economies of the few countries that actually care about the environment.

You'll notice that the third-world countries present at these conferences are always asking for billions of dollars from the West, and not even to reduce their emissions but rather to slow the rate of their increase. The West, of course, will cheer that these billions of people in the third world are rising out of poverty, conveniently ignoring that their doing so will rape the environment far more thoroughly than the height of the industrial revolution ever did.

Even China is abandoning their one-child policy now. As nice as the idea of a unified response to this sounds, the reality is that this issue is a free for all. The best one can realistically hope for is that your country isn't too low-lying, controls significant farmland and freshwater, and has a powerful military to enforce its borders.

Maybe we could buy some time with the widespread use of nuclear power, but sooner or later overpopulation (which is fundamentally a problem originating in the third world) will have to be confronted. This isn't a fixable problem until that happens.
>>
File: 1400228110328.jpg (198 KB, 1015x759) Image search: [Google]
1400228110328.jpg
198 KB, 1015x759
>>638778

How 2 rig a tarp and hammock?
Going camping innawoods by myself for the first time ever thursday.
Weather's set to be shit.
>>
>>638778
We are at 18 years straight with no global warming and now we are told there is another 10 years of cooling before the warming starts. I guess dummies will believe anything. But at least they are suffering for their ignorance while the politicians are laughing all the way to the bank.
>>
>>638806
What are you talking about? 10 more years of cooling?
>>
>>638809
Yeah, that's the latest thing from the enviros to claim that the sun is going to make earth colder for another ten years (on top of the current 18) and that's why their models don't work.
>>
I am looking for a particular Canadian online store. It had huge deals (50-90% off) on brands like Arc'teryx. The logo is a bear's head with Xs for eyes. Please help.
>>
>>638806
>>638816
Nope. You're actually just a dumb cunt. None of what you have just said is true.
Stop listening to Fox "News"
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-30-20-42-07.png (370 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-30-20-42-07.png
370 KB, 1080x1920
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two watches?

Which one do you think would be better for basic outdoor use, and running?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a better gps outdoor watch
>>
>>638969
The only hope is nuclear power anyway so it's not like anyone in the us will get anything done anytime soon.
>>
>>638796
>>638779
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions
http://www.wri.org/blog/2014/11/6-graphs-explain-world%E2%80%99s-top-10-emitters

First world govs. don't give a fuck either, the USA causes acid rain in Australia and does nothing about it, countries on the EU emit a not so big amount of CO2 and say they are clean and everything is fine.

Don't blame the others when you are at fault too
>>
>>638969
Why are you so angry that global warming has been proven a scam? Are you one of those money grubbing faux scientists? Or do just hate to be wrong as we suffer through record cold (proof of global warming)? Or are you just a brainwashed chimp?
>>
>>640040
>worrying about an imaginary problem

You probably wash your garbage and drive to to a recycling center in your prius and then put a selfie on Reddit to get internet points for your faggotry
>>
>>638816
Yeah, its all part of their malicious scheme to...
>>
>>640120
>money grubbing scientists
Since when the fuck do Climate scientists ever make a lot of money?
>>
>>640120
>Oceans have begun measuably absorbing heat from the atmosphere leading to longer term heat storage and a stagnation in atmospheric heating
>Sun has begun its natural sun-spot dead zone that has been happening every 11 year for as long as we've been recording solar radiation (a very long time if you include climate proxies like ice cores)
>>
>>640135

>Since when the fuck do money grubbing scientists ever make a lot of money?

Since Al Gore invented global warming you brainwashed child

Do you think those crooks are phoneying the data for free?
>>
>>640134

>Yeah, its all part of their malicious scheme to...

Explain away the fact that there has been no global warming for your entire life and their won't be for the next 10 or 20 years. I feel sorry for you guys
>>
>>640023
You're that idiot Australian from /int/ aren't you?
>>
>>640143
I mean, it is one of the lowest paying STEM feilds. My collegue only makes around $50 thousand a year as a full time researcher and professor of climate science. Admittedly for a man in his 30's thats pretty great, but they point is these people arent making money for every paper they right or climate model they engineer.
>>
>>640144
>Oceans are more acidic than ever
>Massive droughts across the globe due to conditions that evaporate water too readily and too early in the season
>Massive shifts in ocean current activity and the worst El Ninos we've seen due to added energy to the ocean systems
>Current C02 level is twice as much as the last great warming and temperature on average over the last century has increased at rates not seen in millions of years
>Literally any elementary school science class can prove CO2 is an insulating gas
>>
>>640159
>the sky is falling, gib me yo money

>>640157

Like any field that will make you rich there are no shortage of people wanting an easy job. What could be easier than fudging data and making ominous predictions of the future. But since it's been going on for 30 years there are now thousands of crooks trying to cash in. Tell your friend the easy money is over in this area and he needs to find the next great environment scam, like solar, wind or recyclables
>>
>>640040
I wasn't trying to say that first - world countries don't emit CO2, since that plainly isn't true. Look at the change in CO2 emissions from 1990, though, especially in India. If that trend continues -and I see nothing at all stopping it from doing so- even the first world going carbon neutral wouldn't stop global warming. That's not to say we shouldn't be investing in non-fossil fuel energy sources, since we're going to need them either way once the oil runs out. The infrared pain train isn't going to stop just because the first world cuts back, though. The point is that these conferences always tread so carefully with regard that the question of the burgeoning third world that no real solutions to global warming can or will ever come from them.

I'm as concerned by global warming as you are. I just don't see a way to halt it short of weaponizing ebola.
>>
>>640185
>Im a tinfoiler, dunt gibbe yo facts, I dun wan um
>>
>>640185
>What could be easier than fudging data?
Making baseless claims like these
>>
Nothing but technological solutions will be suggested at this summit, as they were during Copenhagen. I long for the day when most people come to realize that climate change is something you can only attempt to adapt to, not stop. Hopefully somebody stops the fools who make attempts at geoengineering, as they'll only make things worse in their attempts to allow for industrial civilization to continue.
>>
>>640246
Global cooling global warming climate change extreme weather.

You guys are dumber than feminists who complain about rape culture while dating blacks
>>
Most people (well I at least to think most) who are critical of global warming aren't so much in conflict with people doing research but in conflict with people who just think that since they did some research they get to decide our laws. Leave no trace still impacts the environment. Pissing in the ocean raises the sea level. If I want to drive a hummer I shouldn't be personally blamed for global warming.

At the end of the day its an issue of resource usage and I don't think persons individual quality of life should go down for such minuscule contributions.
>>
>>640400
Yes, they are in conflict with people who do research with predetermined outcomes
>>
What is YOUR favourite char material and post pics of your char box please
>>
>>640525
What is yours you faggot?
>>
>>638778
>first world governments who moved their whole industry to China and other third world countries and thus responsible for most of their carbon production try to force said countries to make efforts using greener technologies whose patents they hold and products they sell

Epic hostage situation.
>>
File: frogs-001-e1352146291804.jpg (24 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
frogs-001-e1352146291804.jpg
24 KB, 500x334
I'm apathic towards climate change, I don't plan on having children so whatever happens in 100 years is completely meaningless to me.

I do like that the winters are a lot comfier now as well,
>>
>>640617
You prefer the colder winters that global warming causes?
>>
>>640692
the winters got warmer here, it's been the warmest 5 years ever year-round.

the summers didn't get much warmer though, just longer.

couldn't care much about some shithole somewhere in africa drying up due to it.
>>
>>640693

Weird, the USA has been having the coldest winters since the 1970s. It's already getting into the single digits where I live.
>>
Do I really need a tent or anything like that? My past couple times /out/ I've just slept outside in a sleeping bag and it seemed alright enough.
>>
>>640948
No. Tents are fedora tier items just like sleeping bags and biolites
>>
>>640948
No it's just personal preference. Old school American camping was just wool blankets on the ground.
>>
>>640290
>rape
>blacks
>somehow related
So this is bait.
>>
>>640732
I'm in ohio and I'm burning up well into this month.
This morning I wore a sweater and by 10 am I had to take it off.
Shit sucks m8.
>>
File: 1449281612229.jpg (3 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
1449281612229.jpg
3 MB, 1944x2592
>>640732
Hoosierfag here.
>>
can anyone suggest a good coffee/tea mug that is collapseable?

i don't like mugs taking up space so i'd like to get a decent collapseable one i can fit into my closed up mess kit
>>
>>641395
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>641399
>>641447

You guys are confusing weather and climate. A common tactic of global warmists
>>
>>641641
I know you're just trolling but it's really a problem how people "marketed" it as global warming instead of climate change.
It allows for morons to make arguments like these.
>>
>>641682
Don't forget friendo that they marketed it as global cooling first and now forty years later turns out they were right
>>
>>641720
People really should just be more careful with how they release information.
I know a lot of it is media but practically everything people have against science is how it's given to them, if they actually knew the studies they wouldn't be as bitchy about everything.
"If we came from monkeys then where are all the other monkey/humans before us?"
>>
>>641739
That's true. They should have just called it weather but some scammers like Al Gore politicized it for profit. It's OK though he buys carbon offsets for his planes, mines and mansions
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.