[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Orvis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: orvis_rod_clearwater_outfit_fw.jpg (37 KB, 629x252) Image search: [Google]
orvis_rod_clearwater_outfit_fw.jpg
37 KB, 629x252
Planning on buying an Orvis Clearwater outfit.

I've heard that you can't beat Private support, and that's what sold me. I'm rough on my gear.

Would my money be spent better elsewhere?
>>
>>811525
TFO is the most cost efficient choice and of course comes with lifetime warranty.

Once you want to upgrade, Sage would be another good pick but overly expensive yet has proper support/warranty compared to Orvis.

If those are not what you are looking for, check out Allen Fly Fishing; I have never had an issue with orders of hooks, materials, fly line/leaders, and more. I would imagine their advertised rod/reel combinations when on sale could match TFO on cost efficiency and they offer lifetime warranty with all but their cheapest rod. There are always 5%-10% discount codes available for Allen Fly Fishing as well, if not currently then just wait within the month at worst.

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/compass-rod-series/

Orvis is meme and extremely overpriced with shit warranty when others offer lifetime warranty.

It is essentially the Surly equivalent for fly fishing.

Amateurs, Sponsored fishermen, Reddit spergs, Dentists, and others whom never reach a true enthusiast's level of said hobby.

If you say where you will be fishing and what bodies of water I am sure /out/ can offer advice on what weight/height rod as well as fly line/leader/tippet/flies if you are new to fly fishing.

For most people learning, fly fishing is not much more difficult than using a spin rod. The hardest thing for anyone that I have taught has been to remember that the casting weight is in the fly line instead of the hook.
>>
>>811564
Thanks for the info. Looking at it now.

I live in central NC. I'm a lifelong brim fisherman, and bass when my buddy with aboat is off work. I also go up to the mountains a lot and would love to try trout.

My main goal is to take my fishing to a new level. I'll always love sitting on bucket on a lake bank somewhere in the woods, but lately I've been wanting something more.
>>
>>811585
I would suggest to not go higher than 6weight rod/reel for those fish and waters.

You would possibly want to select Coldwater fly line but depending on your budget, most outfits have slim options if any for backing and fly line. Weight Forward is usually good for a starting fly line as it helps with casting; another option which comes with most starter kits is balanced fly line which is not tapered. You would see it labeled as WF6 or similar (weight forward for 6 weight).

As much as I dislike Orvis products, I would definitely recommend their Fly Fishing video lessons:
http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons

For the fish mentioned I would recommend 5x-7x leader and tippet.

If you were to make your own fancy outfit in the future, I would strongly suggest Waterworks-Lamson reels or Sage reels. Lifetime warranty and quality:
http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/fly-reels/
>>
>>811628
So fucking strange how fly fishing is completely different from regular fishing. Different manufacturers, different retailers, hell, even in Bass Pro the fly fishing section is almost like a separate store.

Sorry OP, I'm useless when it comes to this. But if I could add anything, I would say you can still use it for bream and bass at your regular spots like Skid does. You don't have to go to some clear mountain streams 50mi away just to practice.
>>
>>811628
Wow. Thanks. What about backing? Is it all the same?
>>
>>811641
Backing is usually decided based on what reel you purchase, outfits usually do not let you pick what backing.

If you do get to pick it would be what length, strength, and what color. Most backing is Dacron material which I have never had an issue with.

If you scroll down to the orange section/specifications for this reel you can see how the weight of the reel dictates the max capacity of backing as well as strength of backing.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/fly-reels/guru-series-ii/
>>
>>811655
So my $300 would be better spent on a TFO Pro II, Lamson Liquid reel, and various accessories.

What about brands of line? Any to look for or stay away from?
>>
>>811640
I know right? Ask me for information on a good spinner set up, and I can go on all day. I barely have any knowledge of flies.
>>
>>811661
I own the TFO Professional model in 6 weight with the White River 6 weight reel and would recommend that to anyone starting!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=tfo+white+river

Any of these would be beyond sufficient for a starting outfit and the rod includes lifetime warranty. It is nice to have a lifetime warranty on the reel as well, but it is not as likely to break as a fly rod. I have had a White River (Bass Pro offered that brand in the past and looks to have replaced it with Hobbs Creek) for close to a decade without a single issue.

If you are very confident that you would like to pursue fly fishing beyond that, I would recommend a combination of Sage/Lamson. For almost double of your budget you can get this outfit from Sage, the included RIO fly line is quality as well.

I have the Sage Method and 4200 reel (6 weight) as well as multiple TFO rods and Lamson reels; I like Lamson Guru and Guru HD reels but have heard the Litespeed is FAR superior to the other two. I cannot understand how much more you can do with a reel but there is a noticeable difference of quality going from the Bass Pro outfit to the Sage 4200 or Lamson Guru reels.

Rods are more geared to your specific application, TFO gives a nice graph for Presentation/Distance/Lifting so you know what to expect from the rod. That along with the rod's action and height are relevant to make sure you get a rod comfortable for yourself.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/outfits/approach/

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods.html

>>811640
>>811662
I still spin fish, for myself fly fishing works better than spin fishing to pack into/onto a bag/bike and the ability to master delicate presentation.

Tenkara is a nice in between since you do not require fly casting knowledge to make it work.
>>
File: reels.jpg (2 MB, 4608x2592) Image search: [Google]
reels.jpg
2 MB, 4608x2592
>>811691
I really like the 'InTouch Rio Perception Fly Line' being tricolor as a visual indication of how far out your line is.

That line is on the Sage reel, and the black reel is my White River one.

Always clean the reels and more importantly your fly lines! Freshwater and Saltwater, just clean more thoroughly after Saltwater!
>>
>>811691
ff thread sweet !!
ive heard the TFO BVK was the best at the time for the price couldnt find one though... also looked into Orvis; i used to have one but i snapped it

i did find a SAGE Approach, complete outfit with case. it was a 2014 model still in original package aswell for $400 CAD regular 600 !!
>>
>>811892
That sounds like a pretty rad deal.

So I did it. TFO Pro II and a Lamson Liquid.
>>
>>811700
>>811892
I bought the BVK in 9 weight and that is what I use the Guru HD with. The BVK is nice, but the action/feel is much different than Professional II. If you were going for Saltwater and/or bigger fish I would recommend the BVK for the price and the Sage Method if you feel like spending more.

>>812130
Hell yeah! Remember to register your rod and possibly reel to get that lifetime warranty. Now it is time to have fun and get some flies stuck in trees!
>>
>>812216
The plan!

Now, do I need a fly tied on just to practice casting in my yard?
>>
>>812434
No, the casting weight is in the fly line, should not even need a leader to practice. You can practice casting with all minus fly attached.

Reel - Backing - Fly Line - Leader - Tippet - Fly

These two instructors, not limited to these video examples, have pretty good tutorials on casting. I really like the videos from SwiftFlyFishing, but this Orvis instructor has helpful videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8idd4kgXY4
>>
>>812453
what language is that asshole speaking, british ?
>>
Orvis is quality shit. I own two sage rods and a scott. Im saving my bj money for a reddington butter stick. Gotta love that fiberglass old school feel. Got tech.ical small ri er close by..
>>
The go to guy about your casting and just about anything fly fishing is lefty krey
>>
File: IMG_20160714_125524.jpg (3 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_125524.jpg
3 MB, 2336x4160
Got my new set today. Great 5wt distance set.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.