[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need your help im going camping for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: HermitArt.jpg (49 KB, 354x246) Image search: [Google]
HermitArt.jpg
49 KB, 354x246
Pretty much I'm a indoor neck beard fag, I need your help what are the basics that I should bring, my brother is making me go camping with him what are the basic necessities that I need to bring for 3 days
>>
File: 1464488080531.jpg (250 KB, 820x505) Image search: [Google]
1464488080531.jpg
250 KB, 820x505
Tell us where you're going. Things are going to be different if you're in the southern or northern hemisphere, desert or temperate rainforest, etc.
Shops you can buy gear from:

Secondhand stores (americans call them thrift stores)

Military surplus
things you need:

backpack, big enough to fit all you need
sleeping bag. doesn't have to be good since I assume it's summer where you are
Maybe a hoodie or waterproof jacket if it gets cold or rains.
A good knife. Moras are a meme but they're cheap as fuck, or get a scondhand one.
Tarp.
Groundsheet.
Food. I like noodles (americans call them ramen), canned foods, granola bars, etc.
Sandals or go barefoot if you don't want to get city shoes dirty.
Some spare string.
Water with a bottle.
A pan for cooking food.

you'll be fine mate
>>
>>810520
More info on where, when, and how would give you better answers.

That said here's a few general things I can think of for being /out/ in general:

-water, bring a little more than you think and drink more than you want.

-snacks. In addition to eating meals, snack a lot. Being outside burns a ton of calories, and often times you might not even realize it. If you find yourself tired or angry, take a break and eat something.

-wool or polar-fleece jacket/sweater (if possible, don't sweat it if all you have is cotton). Even in the middle of summer, it gets cold at night. The wool/polar fleece is because it keeps you warm even if it's wet, unlike cotton. This leads me to my next point...

-a cotton bandanna. lots of uses. in the summer heat it's really nice to soak and then tie around the head, or have on the neck.

-duct tape (repairs, good for blisters if hiking)

-bug spray (bring a ton of it if youre going somewhere low and buggy)

-entertainment (deck of cards, book, instrument, small portable game)

-a hat. yes your fedora could work, or just a cap or anything to keep the sun off. Maybe sunglasses, maybe both, whatever makes you comfy.

If you are hiking, there are a few more things to consider.

-talc powder (gold bond) or vaseline or anti-chaffe stuff. This is a godsend when you need it, and life sucks without it. Your nuts will thank me.

-extra socks

-find two sticks for walking with

-do away with extravagances, try to pack lightly. It really matters for comfort and it's easier to realize you could've carried more than to realize you can't carry what you brought anymore. Don't pack your fears.

Above all else, trust your brother and coordinate with him on what you bring. Have fun, take pictures and tell us how it goes.
>>
backpacking or car camping?

and why isn't your brother helping you figure out what you need?
>>
>>810746
>Shops you can buy gear from

If it's such short notice, he might be better off just renting from an university or an outdoor shop. No point in spending too much on something he might not even enjoy.
>>
>>811000
If he doesn't enjoy camping, he should kill himself. There is something primordial about sitting around a campfire at night that just satisfies the soul.

But yeah, car camping or backpacking? Woods or desert? It also helps if you know what your brother is taking. If I'm going camping, I coordinate with the others so that I might bring the stove, somebody else the pots, etc...

Oh, and this time of year, bug repellent is probably a good idea.
>>
>>810520
>bring for 3 days
Ramen, tendies, pokemon and mummys phone #, you stupid useless faggot
>>
>>813606
Rude
>>
File: thubz.jpg (7 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
thubz.jpg
7 KB, 262x192
>>813606
>>813609
agreed. totally unnecessary hostility towards someone being honest, not all that funny.

>>811010
As far as killing oneself over not liking the outdoors... I'd say it's more like give it another shot. Give it a better shot. Definitely like the primordial fire feeling.
>>
>>811010
>There is something primordial about sitting around a campfire at night that just satisfies the soul.

I'm an avid camper and have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. It's burning wood you fucking lunatic, nothing more.

>If he doesn't enjoy camping, he should kill himself.

Some people like it, some don't. You do realize that our ancestors lived in the wilderness out necessity? I'm pretty sure our ancestor from 50,000 years ago would've loved to live in L.A. instead of wherever wilderness they lived in their time. Reliable food sources and a less chance of getting mauled by a hungry bear.
>>
File: 1466699450485.png (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466699450485.png
433 KB, 1920x1080
now git
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.