[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sharpening knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
Are there methods to sharpen your knives without special tools? And on the topic of knives, is there a Polish /out/ist who can tell me about the laws around knives in Poland?
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 400x266
What do you define as "special"? Wet stones are one of the oldest as far as sharpening blades and has been one of the more effective methods for it. There hundreds of companies that make them at varying qualities, grits, and sizes. If you're looking for techniques; there are a lot on YouTube and several webpages with people showing how to sharpen a blade with various tools.
Wet Stone:
https://youtu.be/rTKV5-ZSWcE
Sharpening Steel:
https://youtu.be/Teh0Cw84QGQ
A coffee cup(don't ask me why):
https://youtu.be/fgWeJ9H556I
5 ways without a stone(might work, IDK):
https://youtu.be/VKwpDJN5i20
And just for the sake of it, here's Gordon Ramsey doing it!:
https://youtu.be/SBn1i9YqN1k

Enjoy.
>>
>>807869
Anything bought specifically for sharpening knives such as wetstones. But thanks.
>>
>>807878
The bottom of a ceramic coffee mug where it isn't glazed. Works really well for a fine edge. If the knife is beat up or really dull, the coffee mug will take forever though and you might want some type of stone.
>select all images with coffee
>>
>>807878
Why do you want an item but don't want the tools designed to maintain it so it serves you properly? That makes entirely no sense.
>>
File: IMG_20160611_081801.jpg (950 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_081801.jpg
950 KB, 2048x1536
> $10 USD/ea

Whatever.

To all the "just use a coffee cup" fags, when was the last time you even bothered with that redicules bullshit?
>>
>>807956
Never heard of someone using a coffee mug to sharpen a knife... Why would someone?
>>
>>807956
>redicules
Like yesterday

>>807963
The bottom ring where it isn't glazed is basically a ceramic stone. It is good for getting a fine edge. I have a medium/fine diamon sharpener deal but the coffee mug is a good 3rd step.
>>
>>807969
But you could just use a stone... I am not even going to go there but there ya go.
>>
>>807974
I bought that Smith's double sided diamond one, it has a coarse and fine sidr. Started working with it and the "fine" side would get it to like 8/10 sharp. Then somebody mentioned the mug thing, so I walked to my kitchen and it actually worked pretty well so I have no motivation to buy a specialty stone anytime soon. Maybe one day I will grab a stone but I'm not a knoife collector so I don't care enough to have an arsenal of fine Japanese bricks.
>>
File: sharpeningwheel.jpg (2 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
sharpeningwheel.jpg
2 KB, 160x160
If I want it sharp I use a stone, oil, strop and all that.

If I want it sharp quicker, but don't care about the quality I use one of those pull through johnys.

If it's super dull, and I don't want to baby it and don't give much of a fuck, I put this bit in my drill and go for it. I got a big cheap cold steel knife and didn't want to bother with the usual methods, this worked pretty well for me.
>>
>>807842
I've used the bottom of a mug to sharpen my pocket knife, and then the top of a car window. It works pretty good, it can cut through paper and wood pretty well, but I plan on getting a stone of some kind with my new knife I recently bought, since Its a scandi grind and it would be a pain to sharpen on such a small sharpening surface.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.