[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to work at a ski resort in my country (America) over the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1426962075553.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1426962075553.webm
3 MB, 640x480
I want to work at a ski resort in my country (America) over the winter, since I have a seasonal job at a summer camp lined up already for next year and can run them back to back. I have about $1500 cash saved up for whatever I might need (gear, rent, food, plane ticket, etc) and an interview on tuesday.

What should I expect as a liftie that won't be told to me before I get there? All I know is the hours are long, you're not making a ton of $, and there's no real flexibility in your schedule.

I'm used to just buying rentals and not giving any thought to my own equipment, but should I buy some of my own skis to beat up for a season? They're required to have, in some form, and I'm not entirely sure how seasonal rentals would work for that long.
>>
what is /ouf/?
>>
>>634540

Do you already have the clothes?

If you're considering that as a permanent job (for many years) I recommend specialized gear, like modern carving-like skis and slope boots.

Getting your own stuff will be more affordable in the long run.

I'm a guide for blind people in mein country from time to time, so I carry my own gear, more focused towards ski touring, which is what I like the most in my free time, but I ALWAYS rent skis if the person I'm guiding has to rent them, so as to have the same kind of ski.

Down the road I guess I'll buy a pair of those short as fuck skis for freestyle and jumps, that are well suited to go slow with a newb, and I already have 6" skis from the early 90's that are completely straight to go fast like a demon.

If you're not convinced just lurk around the station, more so if there's a town near it. Many people sell second hand skis there for a more than reasonable price
>>
>>634594
You mean like long john silvers? How do I keep them from touching my anus?
>>
>>634540
>What should I expect as a liftie that won't be told to me before I get there?

You'll be given various rules about safety, and interacting with customers. If they want you on the emergency response crew (and they probably will) you'll get training on that.

So a bunch of work specific stuff you can't know until you get there.

From having done it a few winters, my advice is:
>Buy cheap ski gear from craigslist BEFORE you get there.
Almost every decent size city has people selling ski stuff they used once. Once you get to the resort towns the picking get slim and lots of it is high end stuff and thus expensive.

>Show up on time, every time, and not drunk or high.
You'll be ahead of 90% of your coworkers and if you want to come back you'll be guaranteed a spot. Also if you decide you like this kind of life you'll have opportunities for promotion. I worked at the resort in Big Sky, MT for 3 winters and ended up taking a year round job managing some of their rental housing. All I did was show up and not constantly fuck up.

>Take lots of condoms
Most of your female coworkers will be on the same gig as you, seasonal work, and they'll be out for plenty of short term sex. Also many guests will be up for it as well. In training you will probably hear something about not fraternizing with coworkers or guests. If they actually enforced that they'd lose the whole staff....just don't let it cause any at-work issues and you will be fine.

>Avoid the hippie culture
Many of your coworkers will be undercover hippies. They are fun to hang with but when they start inviting you to chi meditation and offering you juice cleanses, distance yourself. That culture is like cancer.
>>
The interview is to make sure that you're not a spazz, that you don't have an arm growing out of your face, and to confirm that you have a pulse. They tell you some stuff like, don't come into work high. That's about it.

I showed up to my interview, 5 minutes later got the job, and then had some beers with my boss. It's super casual, so don't show up dressed in slacks and a pressed shirt.
>>
>>634602
>>634602
You need a diva anus cup my friend.
>>
File: 1429767748356.jpg (26 KB, 586x332) Image search: [Google]
1429767748356.jpg
26 KB, 586x332
>>634594
I have clothes that will at least work for the time being, but no skis, boots, or a helmet. My shell's not really a ski jacket, and I will probably look into buying goggles I can put over my glasses+anti fog coating for my glasses (fogged up all the time last time I skied)

>>634615
Ok, maybe some of that stuff is what I can ask during the interview then.

Do you recommend insulated waterproof boots for this sorta thing? I have non-insulated waterproofs (vasque st.elias gtx) but don't wanna ruin them if I'm going to be walking in the snow a lot.

I think Craigslist is a good idea, my main issue with it is not knowing what the fuck I'm looking for though. I'm good with looking at bikes on there, but not skis or ski stuff. I just don't know anything about sizing skis, bindings, etc. My second issue is where to buy: Colorado or my home state of NJ. If I buy in NJ, I'd need to get them on my flight over.
>show up on time and you're good
I mean that seems easy enough, even though the day starts early
>take condoms
Yeah my last seasonal job had a lot of that going on, not entirely surprised.
>hippies
Why would hippies be skiing?

>>634675
It's a phone interview, but it's good to know that it's chill like that.
>>
>>634733
Another option for gear is ski swaps. Most ski towns have one at the start of a season. People bring their old gear to sell or trade and there's usually knowledgeable skiers hanging around to help the newbies.

If you're uncertain or intimidated, find a more experienced coworker and ask them. Skiers and snowboarders are usually very friendly and willing to help out newbs.
>>
>>634738
The ski swap at my local shop was last month, unfortunately (my mom went to try and sell a ski helmet I used when I was 12), but that might be a good option for me. I'll have to look around at other shops, but hasn't the season started now though?
>>
>>634745
Depends on your locale and the snow accumulation.

I'm in Utah and we're in soft open, only a handful of lifts and runs are going. Full open is the first week of December, which is also when our local ski swap is.
>>
Also, there might be loaner gear at your resort you can borrow till you get your own kit.

Our dorm has a pile of gear previous employees and guests have left behind. Otherwise coworkers might have beater gear they'll loan you.
>>
Also also, ski shops aren't the only ones who do swaps. Churches and community centers also do them.
>>
>>634733

I use a Scott Rove helmet, Nordica tr-12 boots and Julbo Luna glasses.

As for coat I can't recommend because I use a shell too.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.