[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 500x750
#61-"Turtle Invaision" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>801312

I'm disappointed. The two lakes next to eachother that I was checking out yesterday and today seem like they could be good fishing spots. Water is fairly murky, lots of trees hanging over the edge, decent vegetation, and the lakes are pretty big. Didn't get a single real bass bite in the few hours I was there. There were lots of small bluegill and millions of goddamn turtles. I really thing something is out of balance there and the overpopulation of turtles is ruining the chances of a good bass population.

What even eats turtles? Birds will probably eat the eggs and maybe big bass will go for baby turtles. But I think I should catch a couple gators and release them in this lake to go for the turtles. Otherwise I could start fishing with regular baited hooks everyday and try to kill off the turtles myself.

Oh well. I'll just go to a lake that isn't turtle-infested.

Talk about fishin'
>>
>order Plano 3700 weekender bag
>on backorder
>a month later get UPS shipping notification email
>expected delivery not for another week
>finally the day
>tracking says delivered
>it's not here, and a different package from Fedex was delivered an hour later and is here, so I doubt it was stolen
>don't see package on neighbors' stoops

I'm supposed to go on a fishing trip this weekend damnit.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 531x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 531x800
>>803054
That's another reason why I want to go for snooks. I already have almost all of those lures and could easily throw a lot of it on the baitcaster with #30 braid. There is a decent spot by an inlet and I think if I get the timing right with the tide and baitfish, I could do some work.

Might have to grab some of those bigger Storm shads too. And I still really want a heavier spinning combo, I will hop on one of the Penn combos soon. But I have the 7' Ugly Stik combo I bought for the pier and that is spooled with #40 braid and the President 35 on the 6'6" MH rod with #30 braid could easily handle snook too.
>>
Im thinking of picking up a cheap baitcaster to see if it takes my fancy. What actual advatages do they offer or are they just a meme?
>>
File: $_1.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>803060
Forgot pic
>>
>>803060
What is that one?

They cast further and smoother when you get some weight on it and the drag is smoother most of the time. You really notice the difference when you get heavier line on there. The difference between a spinning reel and casting reel with 30lb braid and a 1/4oz lure is enormous. I'm sure there are some other ones but lately I have been a big fan of being able to cast stuff far when the bass are sitting deep.

Texas bro grabbed one of those Okuma Stratus baitcasters from Dick's and he says it is bretty gud for the money. I think they want $40 for them but they go on extra-sale for like $30. Those reels were specifically made for Dick's and I think they retailed for $60-$70 at first but they have been on "clearance" for like a year. I own a spinning one and love it for the price.

There is also the Abu Garcia Black Max for $50 and Silver Max for $60. I think Walmart might actualky sell the Black Max for $40.
>>
>>803063
Its a cheap chink piece, didnt want to spend a huge amount if im not going to use it. Will upgrade if i like it.

Sounds nice, i will pick one up.

I dont live in the states but will take a look around and post suggestions.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Snook lures
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>803066
I'm pretty sure Abu Garcia is sold everywhere so I would look around for the Black Max or Silver Max if I were you.

And just stick with it. I bought my first baitcaster like 2 years ago. Tried it a couple times and went back to spinning reels. Then I bought a nicer one around Christmas and tried to memecast again but went back to spinning. A few months ago I finally started using them more and figured out the drag and tension settings and how to cast well and now I use them much more than spinning reels. I want to grab a 3rd and 4th baitcaster now.
>>
File: 20160627_205312_38345.jpg (172 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160627_205312_38345.jpg
172 KB, 1080x1920
>>803070
Will do, thanks for the advice.

Also check out this cutie
>>
>>803060
>>803063
Buy a wm sabalos spoiled with #20 braid for 30 bucks like I did
>>
Well it's the end of the month
Bill time
>Tfw got paid this morning and now only have 3 dollars
At least my kayak fund is up to 400
One more pay check and I'm going up to dix with the money in an envelope that says "drug muny" and paying with that for a kayak and maybe a few rod holders. Then I'll be saving up more money to build a trailer and register both of those.

Haha I'm terrible with money
>>
File: image.jpg (984 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
984 KB, 3264x2448
>>803084
I wish I still had that now
>>
>>803089
Don't worry I'm abusing it just right
>>
>>803101
I still can't believe I managed to find it for that price. And still managed to lose a few dollars on it between the shipping and line. Oh well. I would love to find a steal like that again. Or I should jump on one of those Carbon W&M's when they have the flash sale. Most of the time it is the spinning reels, but they had the baitcasters once or twice for $60. I have too many bills to pay though and keep spending my money on other worthless shit. I'm probably worse with money than you.
>>
>>803087

Nice man. Dont forget a paddle and pfd. Thats almost another 100 bucks.

Also, dont be fooled into buying leashes. Get dog leashes from the dollar store. Just make sure you have somewhere o attach them.
>>
I was using hula poppers today and the stupid bass kept missing it. I only had one actually make solid contact and I lost it. Is there a trick to these or something?
>>
>>803068
Second from the bottom is a cute
>>
File: Muskie - Copy.jpg (64 KB, 635x208) Image search: [Google]
Muskie - Copy.jpg
64 KB, 635x208
Caught my first Muskie ever. In the most unexpected urban waters. I was bass fishing and getting skunked almost called it a day and this guy took my woolly bugger on my 6wt fly rod, gave a hell of a fight.
>>
File: Muskie7.jpg (116 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Muskie7.jpg
116 KB, 720x960
>>803128
>>
>>803128
Nice freshwater barracuda.
>>
File: 31ugAlcUKEL.jpg (12 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
31ugAlcUKEL.jpg
12 KB, 500x324
>>803130

Thanks,

I was glad I had my spreaders on me thats for sure
>>
>>803116
Kayaks don't come with paddles? And what are "leashes"? And I forgot about pfd
Though isn't a sit on top kinda it's own life boat? I mean what can I do to sink it where I'll be in more than 3 feet of water? I'm pretty sure Ohio law is you just have to have one on board and I've got one of those shitty kids orange ones
>>803128
Hella. I really want a pike or muskie on my 8 weight but I just keep getting fucking small mouth bass not much bigger than my fly
>>
>Went to take a 30 min nap before going fishing
>just woke up

Shitty thing is a storm in moving in so I bet the bite would've been decent

>>803063
>>803066
Yeah the Okuma is decent. I don't know if I'd want to pay full price for one, but I don't have any real complaints. I also have a black max that I believe was $40 at walmart and I like that one a lot too.

>>803143
Some yaks do come with paddles, but they usually aren't very good. And wearing a PFD, especially on a yak, isn't a bad idea. Chances are I won't wear one 95% of the time on my boat, but I always wear it when I yak unless I'm in real shallow water. I think it'd be easier for something to wrong on a yak where you'd need it, as opposed to on a boat where you're pretty safe if you aren't being dumb.

>>803125
Baby sharks are cute
>>
>>803155
Well if I'm on a sit on top the worst that can really happen in fresh water is I fall out of it unless I'm in a river.
>>
>>803155
You bear DFW?
>>
>>803171
Near*
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 640x1136
>>803171
Yep little bit west of it
>>
>>803175
Burleson bro here, hope you had a good day.
>>
>>803176
It wasn't too bad. Have you ever fished Bailey Lake?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>803177
I haven't really gotten into fishing when I was older, my grandad died my 8th grade year and never been since. Recently got some rods and don't know if they're good but I definitely want to start fishing, hiking, hunting all over Texas. Really miss it. Mind looking at em or how do I know a good rod? Pic related
>>
>>803180
Holy mother of spincast batman
>>
>>803189
Is that a good rod?
>>
>>803191
Those look like they could catch fish. But don't use the spincasts that have the metal dome tops. Those are shit. And you'd want to re-spool with fresh line, sporting goods stores will do that for you.
>>
I hate to be the newfag on this thread, but I'm having so much trouble with my 30+ year old baitcaster. It's my late grandfather's, so I feel it would do him proud if I got good with it. Straight to the question, what is the best way to reduce backlash? I have 3/4 brakes on, my tension knob is just tight enough so the lure doesn't fall, I've used baits of every weight thus far, improves on my casting technique (making sure I release at the right time and cast gently) and tried every type of line. Most of the time I fish involves less fishing and more yanking out knots in my reel. I've looked at other threads and tips on other sites, but I'm still fucking up somehow. At this point, ANY tips would be helpful.
>>
File: image.jpg (332 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
332 KB, 640x1136
>>803180
>>803180
I'd take that spinning reel, respool it, and put it on one of the smaller rods. Then you can upgrade from there.

There's nothing really *wrong* with spincast reels, you just won't get as much distance and they can be unreliable. Plus people will think you're poor and we don't want that.

Incase you don't know, pic related is a spinning reel. The ones that have the button on the back are spincast. It looks like you have a baitcaster too right before the rods in plastic (I wouldn't mess with that one for awhile unless you want to get frustrated at birds nest).
>>
Just wanted to say this and the homegrowmen thread are both on #61 and I wanted you guys to know
>>
>>803176

Kennedale caster here. Can't say I have caught much of anything since i moved here. Any solid bank fishing spots? Tried lake Arlington and always get skunked
>>
>>803200
Step 1: git
Step 2: gud

That's literally all I can say. Go out with 1/2 ounce lead weight and just practice
Then slowly drop weight as you get comfortable
>>
>>803208

Better to use something visible like a hookless plug because if you can't see what you are casting in the air then you won't be able to stop it before it hits the ground.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 640x1136
>>803200
Turn the brakes all the way on, loosen up your spool tension just a little. You want the lure to slowly fall when it's free spooling.

KVDâ„¢ Suggest using a 5/8 spinnerbait to start with. I'd definitely stay in the 1/2-3/4 oz range to start. depending on your rod. Start with sidearm cast.

Most of the action with bait casters is in the wrist. So don't try to overpower them. Smoothness I what you're after. Just start slowly increasing your distance. Remember to keep your thumb on the spool while you're casting too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFJyldqaIs

This video helped me learn. Sorry for the mobile link.

>>803207
Anymore dfw bros?
>>
>>803214
I think I might fish Benbrook so I can get the hang of things.

>>803207

Hey kennedalebro, hope your day was good too
>>
>>803087
why do you need a trailer? strap that shit to the top of your car on top of pool noodles like I do.
>>
>>803217
>Car
You must be new here
>>
>>803222
Oh you ONLY have a motorcycle?

That's fucking retarded, you shouldn't be buying a kayak. Get a car.
>>
>>803225
No, Fuck you and your car
>>
>>803227
Yeah, fuck being dry in the rain, cool in the summer, and the ability to drive long distances with a kayak on top without looking retarded with a motorcycle trailer.
>>
>>803232
Fuck being a pussy who can't handle a little sky water or sun, and who cares what a corrupted money-hungry society thinks he should be doing
>>
>>803235

I own a motorcycle though and it's what I drive most often. I'm sorry that you don't understand how the utility of having a car or truck far outweighs the fun of having a bike.

The more I lurk these threads the more you convince me that you're actually autistic.
>>
>>803237
>Implying I care what people think
>>
>>803238
Obviously, otherwise you wouldn't be a furfaggot manchild.
>>
>>803239
Are you through yet?
>>
>>803232
I've thought about getting a trailer for my kayak for 2 reasons.

>easier than putting it on the roof
>seems like it'd be more secure

If I can get a decent deal on one I wouldn't mind having one.
>>
>>803241
Nah, I made a suggestion and you sperged out.

Enjoy your shit life, loser.

>>803246
I've thought about making one for my car for those reasons but I don't care much about scratching up my roof and my kayaks small.

I'll probably never do it, though. I'll probably be trading my car for a truck soon anyways.
>>
File: 20160604_201204.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160604_201204.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>803143

Most dont. Sometimes you can find a package deal. You want a paddle that fits you. They are measured in cm. Do a little research.

In a pond or small lake, a pfd isnt super necessary. On a giant lake or the ocean/bays, wear it. You never know man, its not worth your life. You could fall off, get wrapped up in something etc...

Leashes are so that everytime you drop something you dont lose it. Paddle, rods, tackle bag, cooler etc...

Next time i go out ill make a video of my whole rig for you. Just so you can get an idea of how other people are rolling.
>>
>>803248
Oh I was just going to use rope for that. But whatever it will be sorted out. And if you could do that it would be real cool

>Its not worth your life
>Implying I don't regularly consider just blowing my head off
My life isn't really worth much
>>
>>803251
>Implying I don't regularly consider just blowing my head off

kek, knew it.
I thought you don't care what people think about you?
>>
>>803255
I don't
I just hate living a meaningless existence as a pawn in a game of chess between governments just to die and be forgotten like so many others

Lets also not forget that the human race is also constantly on the verge of it's own demise either by war or famine.

The human race is a mistake and nothing really matters so why bother trying to participate in this impossible rat race we loosely refer to as life when all that will happen is you will die, your successes will be passed along to the next of kin who will receive the credit while every mistake will haunt your name until you are forgotten and the only remnance of your legacy is a worn headstone in an overgrown cemetery.
>>
>>803201
>dat no 8 blackout

hellooooooo nurse!
>>
>>803271
Pure autism
>>
File: image.png (156 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
image.png
156 KB, 495x495
Recently purchased this reel (though I've used other round bait casters with ease) and it's just a pain in the ass, 10lb braided and 1/8 jig with a worm and it still casts 10yards max with the spool tension literally off
>>
>>803275

Yeah being born an "autist" really opens your eyes to how shit the world is.
>>
>>803271
>the human race is also constantly on the verge of it's own demise either by war or famine.
>food is the most abundant its ever been in history
>despite current conflicts, most peace than virtually any other time in human history

Okay bud. Can we talk about fishing instead of how ignorant you are about history?
>>
>>803277
But you actually are, normal people don't say that shit.

You have the views of an edgy 15 year old.
>>
>>803271
>Lets also not forget that the human race is also constantly on the verge of it's own demise either by war or famine.
>proportionally fewer people in poverty than at any previous time in human history
>millions lifting themselves out of poverty everyday
>so much food available that you literally can't give away enough of it so most of it just gets thrown away
>no major wars ongoing
>the West and Russia and China (all the nations that could start a world war) literally have the best relationships they've ever had with one another
>even while making shit money you have time to go fishing everyday

Buck the fuck up kiddo

You're what 19?

You have literally your entire adult life ahead of you and by virtue of being born an American this means that you can essentially do whatever you want to do so long as it isn't harming anyone else

Step 1) lose weight, you'll feel infinitely better about yourself when you're not a fat mess walking around
>>
>>803301
>You have literally your entire adult life ahead of you and by virtue of being born an American this means that you can essentially do whatever you want to do so long as it isn't harming anyone else
This X1000 I didn't start to live until 23 at least. More like 27-29 and life gets pretty fucking good.
>>
>>803271
I remember that stage. Find something anything you like or give a shit about and do nothing but that.
>>
>people wasting time being sad and shit
What's the fucking point?
I know I sound like a hippy but you only have so many years on this planet why not enjoy them to the fullest, instead of wasting your life being sad and miserable,
I've been there and still have my bad days but if you're sad, make a change,
Lose weight , travel , go fishing
Anything
Do something, just enjoy your life he best you can
>>
>>803301
I've lost weight before. Back when I was in high school I started wrestling and doing football. I dropped easily 80 pounds in a year and didn't feel any better

>>803322
I'll let you know if I find anything more than fishing and my motorcycle
>>803325
I don't know what to change. Its not weight I've tried that. Its not employment or the lack there of. I can't really travel much until I do some more mods to my bike.

But anyways back to fishing
>>
>>803123
With poppers, the truck is to wait for them to hit it and pull it under water for a second before you set the hook.

>>803276
That's a tiny lure for that big reel. Even with light line, casters still need some weight to get the spool moving. Once you get to 1/4oz+, it should launch them.
>>
File: furrymaced.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
furrymaced.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>803271
dam really maeks u think...
>>
File: image.jpg (355 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355 KB, 640x1136
>>803271
Jesus Christ skid

>>803272
I have that one and then a MH with my Revo STX. They're my favorite rods by far.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
baby mackerels are pretty
>>
File: 20160623_131047.jpg (5 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
20160623_131047.jpg
5 MB, 3024x4032
Little 3 pound cat that tried to eat my crankbait.
Still a fun fight on a 6 pound line.
Fucker followed it right up to the shore line in the middle of the day.
>>
I want to go fishing but I don't want to move. I've got nothing to use as bait but lures and I've no money to buy bait. Fuck
>>
>>803466
Go dig some worms,
I've been doing it every day abd I have a few hundred sitting in my garage
>>
>>803466
Dig some worms, catch a bluegill, then use that as bait?
>>
>>803466
get a job you fat worthless fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 506x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 506x800
Skid is a furry sick fuck.
>>
>>803481
I do, but because bills and my hours getting cut I'm broke till next pay day
>>
>>803475
>>803468
Maybe.
>>
>>803484
Get a second job , even if it's sucking dick
Seriously, even when I'm working at the hatch, if I can il work atleast 8 hours on the weekends if I can at the farm
>>
>>803484
get a real job and stop living with your parents*
>>
File: 1441464528952.jpg (21 KB, 606x496) Image search: [Google]
1441464528952.jpg
21 KB, 606x496
>Tfw todays plan was to catch dinner, but the weather tirned the water into pea soup
>>
File: 18472483.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
18472483.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>803466
>don't want to move
Just catch some fish with Jamie-chan
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Got a dink bass again

I think that's my pb sunfish

Didnt bring a scale though
>>
>>803486
Every year they do this
School gets out and all the college kids and high schoolers want more hours so the regulars get stiffed, then school starts up again and we're short staffed every morning for the next 3-5 months
>>
>>803491
Where do you even work?
>>
>>803493
Head Chef at Wendy's
>>
>>803496
jesus christ man, why the fuck are you 19 and still working a 16 year olds job.
Apply somewhere else.
>>
>being an adult and not having a decent paying desk job

Wendy's is pretty good though, I'm currently enjoying one of their fine $4 meals.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>803505
Pic is my desk
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Pepsi i think i saw you having some chatter jigs

I bought some zman chatterbaits

When do i use them

I've been getting strikes but no hooksets
>>
You lot of off topic, circle jerking cunts should be ashamed of yourselves
This is /out/ fishing general
Not "oi furry bullshit off topic shit flinging contest" thread

Money of you have the right to call anyone an autist because you're all a bunch of rabid autists looking for something they don't like to throw the whole god damn thread off topic
If I had my way everyone who participated in that bullshit should be banned for off topic discussion

Talk about fishing, not the fat manchild's personal life
>>
Am I a faggot for using spincasting reels?

I can't cast anything else worth a shit.
>>
>>803491
Get a job at a car dealership. You have to be absolutely retarded to get fired from a porter position.

>>803523
Spinning reels are easy to use though. What problems are you having?
>>
>>803523
Nothing wrong with using a spincasting reel, anyone gives you shit about using them take their teeth as trophys. They don't really make any good ones for salt water though. I use a very small one on my Emmrod
>>
>>803514
I have one chatter bait I got from MTB and haven't used it. My local Bass Pro carries a lot of them so they must be popular here. When I asked about those things, it sounds like you fish them like a buzzbait.

>>803520
This thread did go to hell while I was sleeping. Glad I had no part in that.

>>803523
Yes
>>
>>803538
I guess

I think im just getting bites on the softplast and i should probably use a trailer hook
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>803543
They are topwater, right?

Fish just have shitty aim. Trailer hook might help. But with all topwater, you have to give the line some slack as soon as they hit it and let them pull it under for a second before setting the hook. I get a suprisingly good hookup rate on poppers after figuring that out.
>>
>>803544
It's like a shallow to mid diving crank but it vibrates. The depth depends on the angle you bend the blade
>>
>>803545
Oh ok. Then it's probably like spinnerbaits and shit too. Those single hooks aren't the greatest at hooking stuff. Are you twitching it at least? A lot of times they will hit on the pause and that can help but otherwise it might just be the nature of the bait.

Reminds me of those damn chartruese tail worms and lizards. They piss me off because 2/3 of the bites will just be a fish hanging on to the tail. And it takes a few seconds for them to let go so it feels like you actually hooked em until you get it out of the water and the hook hasn't even popped through the plastic.

Trailer hooks will pick up a little more weeds and shit though.
>>
File: cm.gif (1 MB, 200x145) Image search: [Google]
cm.gif
1 MB, 200x145
>fishing in freshwater
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 500x667
>>803551
Only because I'm hoping she will be there
>>
File: 1450312273074.jpg (57 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1450312273074.jpg
57 KB, 645x773
>>803551
>tfw my saltwater fish suck
>>
File: salmon_nigiri.jpg (197 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
salmon_nigiri.jpg
197 KB, 1280x960
>>803551
>>803552
>>803555
I've always found freshwater fish to taste like bland sewerage. when it comes to good eatin' saltwater is king.

the glowing exception is salmon - it's the best of both worlds. delicate texture and freshwater overtones with a hint of complexity you only get from ocean livin'
>>
File: giRODfT.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
giRODfT.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
Is this a white bass or a baby striper?

I've been catching alot of these little fuckers when going for real bass. IDK how they think they can even swallow my lures.
>>
>>803570
That looks like a hybrid striper
>>
>>803570
Could be a yellow bass. I think they normally have more solid stripes than white bass.
>>
>>803570
i straight up cant tell the difference between white perch, stripers and hybrid striped bass

doesnt help that they can interbreed.
>>
>>803491
So get another job, I work 40 hour weeks at the hatch (can't work anymore there)
And when I can il pick up another 8-16 hours on the weekends at the farm
If I could pick up an afternoon job even part time I might

When I worked construction for family I worked 50-80 hour weeks,

Throw yourself into your work and hobbies
>>803560
When it's ice season fish firm up and taste cleaner , though i prefer salt too
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
To feesh or not to feesh...

I wish that peacock lake was closer.
>>
>>803599
Man id love to fish for peacock bass, how is their fight?
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>803611
Good. I mean I have only caught 3 since I finally figured out what they will bite. But they are def a little more feisty than largemouth.

All of the exotic warm water fish fight harder than typical North American cold water fish. Snakeheads just take off and try to dig down when you hook them and the Mayans are a blast to catch on lighter tackle because they just don't give up. Largemouth are fun but sometimes you get some lazy ones. And a lot of largemouth won't fight too hard until you get them close to shore and then they start running.
>>
>>803616
You shore fish then?
Also do you ever eat the snakehead you catch or do you just kill them? I hear theyre tasty.
>>
File: 00039364937851-LF01.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1437) Image search: [Google]
00039364937851-LF01.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1437
>>803053
Which of these hooksizes would work best for bobber + nightcrawler bluegill/panfishing?

I tried two larger ones and kept loosing bait.

Are they all too large?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>803642
I really like 1/32 to 1/8 oz jigheads for panfishing.

You can put them on a bobber if you want.

If you just want just hooks, you can get this wheel thing of 144 aberdeen hooks at walmart for like $3 and those hooks will work fine for panfishing
>>
Eh Fuck it. I'm /out/ fags
All I ever really do is shitpost anyways
Pepsi thanks for the mepps and braid, bub thanks for the flies, and hatcheryanon thanks for the wader reccomendation
This place can't stay on topic well enough
Catch a big one for me
I might lurk now and then

/Skid
>>
>>803694
Wait are you a furry?
>>
>>803694
try to leavem, youll come back, Just try to not sadpost, though it happens from time to time
>>
>>803701
He is fat, a furry, and he wants to die. :D
>>
After a couple trips, I can safely say, Loch Raven reservoir in MD is FULL of bluegill.

Only other fish I've seen there is a single yellow perch.

That all being said, I think there's catfish or something very crafty out there. Ten out of my Twelve worms were ripped off the hook too fact for me to react. Two quick tugs, and then nothing
>>
>>803490
Some kind of sunfish.
>>
>>803719

It most definitely has good populations of LMB and pickerel as well.
>>
>>803723
green sunfish
>>
>>803175

cut your nails before i throw up on my keyboard

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>803694
I hope you turn into a furry in your sleep.
>>
>>803642
It's time to buy more shit. You will need to do it eventually so just grab the little wheel of hooks and maybe one of split shots. That's one of the reasons I don't like those starter kits, you need to buy more stuff almost immediately anyway.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>803694
What he said >>803702

>>803634
Yeah shore fish and I never eat anything I catch but I hear the sneks are good too.
>>
>>803842
left /b/ found /out an /o/ , eft /o/ now full time shitpost on /out/ ,
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>803855
I can't deal with /o/ much anymore either. It used to be fun and somewhat interesting, now it is just weeb stickers and shitposting.

FWD does kinda suck though
>>
>>803857
i was strictly /dbt/ we shitposted so hard mang, (ran one thread to 1098 posts before it fell off the board ) Now i just shit/blogpost here about fishing and anything, Btw peps, ik you smoke, But have you done any of the free malboro rewards things?, youll get junkmail, But get neat free shit, i may sound like a shill, But i litterally have gotten 4 zippos, a wireless speaker, a headlamp, a thermos, some little container things,
>>
>>803859
Nah I saw those posts but I just don't care. I do want to get down on a Bass Pro credit card one day though and get some free rewards. I think there's a $50 gift card if you spend $100 at Bass Pro in the first 90 days.
>>
>>803551
>2000miles away
>>
>>803866
noice, the headlamp is pretty nice, and the thermos is too though mine leaks slightly, The speaker is suprisingly loud, Though doesnt feel that rugged as advertised, Zippos are free zippos, Im just glad i got the speaker, il throw it on the inside of my sit on top ayak and play the fishes my music
>>
>>803694
Thank god, noone here likes you.

You'll be back tomorrow though since you're an attention whoring faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 640x1136
>>803762
How else am I suppose to get out shit like this?
>>
>>803919
Grab the ends of the untangled mainline and pull as hard as you can.

If it makes a tighter worse knot, cut it
>>
>>803925
I normally give it a little tug and see if it'll make it worse, but I don't like cutting braid so I usually attempt to undo it for a few minutes.
>>
gonna go out and try to catch a river striper tomorrow. got some 1/0 circle hooks that i'm going to load up with cut bream and float under big bobbers through a deep fast fun. hopefully it'll pay off.
>>
>>803835
>buy more shit
What size hook would you recommend when I do this?

I did buy some size 1 wormhooks and bullet weights the other day.
>>
>>803944
For worms and other bait, just get an Aberdeen hook assortment like other dude said. They are cheap. Then you will have a size for whatever is biting. I don't even remember the sizes for those hooks since I haven't bought any in years. I just have a big tangle of them in a tackle box.

Size 1/0 worm hooks? Those are gonna be pretty small if going for largemouth.
>>
What are some meme lure to avoid?
>>
>>803955
soft plastics, jigs, mepps, and rapalas.
>>
>>803958

>soft plastics
>jigs

So basically you know fuck all about actual bass fishing.
>>
>>803958
Fug im a colossal meme

But really, meme lures are livingston lures and livetarget baitballs right?
>>
File: Reb-Crickhoppers.jpg (25 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
Reb-Crickhoppers.jpg
25 KB, 500x349
Anyone use these and have alot of success?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>803944
>>803946
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 640x854) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 640x854
Went to the golf course pond that has the 10#er in it

Caught half a dozen bass, the lunker was a 3#er

Pic related (also caught today) is the coolest bass I've ever seen in terms of color though he was predominantly gold
I'd never seen a bass like that before
>>
>>803946
It just says #1 wormhook. Is that 1/0
>>
>>803969
I've caught a bunch of sunfish with those.

>>803975
That is a cool looking fish. What was the water clarity like?
>>
what kind of line should i rig up for my gold/silver wobbling spoon? i'm fishing in murky ontarian waters, bass, pike, etc
>>
>>803981
The water at that pond is usually very clear but it does have a black bottom from decaying plant matter

Today it was a little murky as it had recently had a lot of water pumped into it
I think it's a retention pond for irrigating the golf course in addition to being a water hazard
>>
>>803570

It's a hybrid.
>>
>>803570
I'm new to fishing:
>why does the fish attack something that can't fit inside its mouth?
>because the bait is so big, the fish can't exactly grab and run right? how do you know when to set the hook?
>>
File: 10212351_stainlesssteel.jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10212351_stainlesssteel.jpg
56 KB, 500x500
>>803996

Above 6lb test, mono fluro or braid up to you. Make sure to use a snap to maximize its wobble action (just snap not snap swivel- that would take away some wobble) also check out ivo from thundermist lures he's from Ontario and has some great videos out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-hWQ8yOYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSOqW9Fk3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSxODTU1wI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjKQm7vUj0
>>
>>804012

A lot of fish strikes are aggrestion not hunger.... & you'll get the feel for setting the hook the more you fish
>>
>>803271
And here I though /out/ had gotten past its high school mentality
>>
>>804012
>>why does the fish attack something that can't fit inside its mouth?

Because fish can actually open their mouths quite wide. Even if they can't immediately swallow something, it's possible that after grabbing and killing it, they can maneuver it in such a way that they eventually can get it into their mouth.

And since prey items can get away/be eaten by something else if the fish isn't fast enough, it's often advantageous for the fish to strike first before the opportunity passes. THEN it can afford to waste time worrying about if the food item is big enough to eventually fit down its throat later at its leisure.

>>>because the bait is so big, the fish can't exactly grab and run right? how do you know when to set the hook?

General rule of thumb is you wait at least a second or two before setting the hook. The kind of fish you're fishing for is also a factor.

If, for instance, I'mt catching panfish, particularly aggressive/large mouthed panfish like Green Sunfish or Warmouth, I'm not going to let them run too far before setting the hook.

If I'm fishing for bass while using artificial, I might wait a second or two.

Fishing for catfish, I may wait for an indication the fish is really moving with the bait and not just mouthing it, which could be several seconds.

If I'm fishing with fiddler crabs for sheepshead, I'm going to wait and feel for that unique tug before setting the hook.

If I'm fishing with cut bait for gar, I'm going to let that fish swim for over a minute (if not more) before trying to set the hook.

Hook size and type are also factors.

But even if you account for all that, you are still going to miss fish and sometimes just get lucky.

It's an art more than a science and getting reliably better only really comes with experience and experimentation.
>>
>>804012
General rule of thumb is to wait a second or two before setting the hook cause if you set too soon the fish might not have taken the entire bait yet so you'll just rip it out of its mouth
If you see your line start moving across the water then set the hook immediately

As you fish you will (quickly) pick up on the difference in feel between a fish biting, a turtle biting, going through weeds, and just going over some underwater debris like downed branches
>>
>>803490
Bluegill/greenie hybrid ?
>>
>>803642
Anything above size 10 is a waste of time. Owner mosquito are GOAT but expensive, Aberdeen shape are probably good. Cricket is best bait, followed by worm. Having some really small jig heads is good too, you'll learn when to use them. Good luck dude, panfish are a blast.
>>
File: foish.jpg (97 KB, 960x690) Image search: [Google]
foish.jpg
97 KB, 960x690
My first fish ever
>>
>>804061
I've actually had the most success with panfish on a 3" rapala jointed minnow

I've had them hit it the second it hits the water
>>
>>803498
Look at the trip before you reply, dumbfuck.

>inb4 I WAS JUST TROLLING XDDDDD
>>
>>804071
Nice

>>804078
It was also a /b/ joke but pretty close to what Skid does
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>803958
>everything Pepsi fishes with

>>803955
Any of those "As Seen On TV!" or "50% More Bites!"

Some of them may work well in the right situatoon, but don't go and buy a $30 crankbait and expect it to be the only lure you will ever need.

I gotta say I thought those Spoilteks were meme lures but lots of people are loving those.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>803976
Offset worm hook? I have no clue without seeing a pic. 1/0 worm hooks can work for thin finesse worms but if you are catching bigger largemouth, a 1/0 offset worm hook doesn't leave a lot of room to hook them.

>>803968
I think there is a fine line between meme and gimmick. Haven't figured out exactly where it is, but Mepps and Rapalas are OG. And you can't really bass fish without soft plastics. I may have helped make Mepps a meme, but they do work.
>>
File: 14672002861361904309349.jpg (274 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
14672002861361904309349.jpg
274 KB, 1280x720
Right, where do i attach my line to this little guy?
>>
>>803857
>now it is just weeb stickers and shitposting.

Newfag spotted. It has always been like that.
>>
>>803919
Drink more coffee then break pole in frustration.
>>
>>804100
>>803955
Lure tech hasn't improved for over 50 years. Just use the lure styles your grandfather had access to that are still being sold today.,
>>
>>803997
I've heard that water clarity can effect their color, but I think they get more pale the darker the water is.

>>804127
Kek I still haven't managed to break a pole yet.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>804126
The shitposting was never as bad. There was a time when the sticker threads were all about WAT stickers and not every thread had a pic of a Corvette on fire.
>>
>>804129
Ehh, materials, paints, and colors have gotten better and I think some of the cranks have better action but it would have to be a really picky fish that would refuse the 30 year old Rapala but hit the new one.

Those SpoolTeks are cool though, I think I'm going to grab a couple one day. It's a good design where it makes it harder for the fish to shake the hook loose.
>>
I bought a mega cheap rod & reel combo at target a year ago.

I'm looking to upgrade. What's more important, a better rod or a better reel? I'm leaning towards the reel. Also, what's a good spinning reel that's under $100?
>>
>>804148
But, there's been no new paints, colors, or materials in 50 years unless you are making them out of graphene. 50 years is like no time at all in the fishing industry. The only thing that people usually see is the marketing and they are suckers for that every time.

>>804145
>The shitposting was never as bad.

Newfag.
>>
>>804160
You must just be trolling if you don't think plastics and paints have come a long way in 50 years and /o/ was just as bad two years ago.
>>
>>804100
I think the best thing to do is to find a local fishing store.
Not necessarily the big chain ones, but the smaller local ones.
You'll be more likely to find out what works in your area.
Just pick their brain for a bit. In those small stores they usually know what works because they are out there on their days off.

We got cabella's bass pro, and a dicks sporting goods. But I still got the best advice on local waters from the small family run mom and pop store.
>>
>>804178
Forgot.
As a bonus they'll sometimes tell you about some good spots to hit.
>>
>>804119
That is a lipless crankbait.
Rapalla knot in the front hole?
>>
>>804178
>>804179
That's what I always tell people who are just getting into fishing. It's part of my copypasta.

I used to have a great one in IL, but near me now I have been to 3- the one close to my house I buy bait at, I'm not a big fan of. Another is all saltwater and the third the dudes were tellin me a bit about peacocks.
>>
>>804192
Was it Lee's Global Tackle by busse lake?
That's what I was thinking off.
>>
File: 20160627_182402.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160627_182402.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
Anyone use these Mimic Minnows? I bought a pack without knowing anything about them just to see how they work.

What am I supposed to do with these? Just cast and retrieve like everything else?
>>
>>804188

Similar silhouette but that's a blade bait.
>>
>>804196
I stand corrected.
You learn something new every day.
>>804195
I use similar ones. I usually do a steady retrieve and keep it near the bottom.
>>
>>804119
>>804188
>>804196
So just a knot on the front hole?
>>
>>804194
Nah Salmon Shop in Palatine. I believe it's still there with Crazy Jim at the helm.

Was Lee's the one on Arlington Hts Rd?

>>804195
I normally use Storm or Tsunami brand, but those are good in clear water for me. Run em slow, fast, deep, shallow, whatever you want.
>>
File: bladebait.jpg (46 KB, 650x580) Image search: [Google]
bladebait.jpg
46 KB, 650x580
>>804202

I'd probably put a split ring on it. You could also use a snap or tie a loop knot.
>>
>>804203
Aye that's the one. Right off oakton.
>>
>>804205
Just made a call. Crazy Jim is going to get a visit the next couple days just for the hell of it. probably after fishing tomorrow.
>>
>>804205
Is that one still there? There was a bait shop in that plaza that closed down like 10 or 15 years ago and a new one may have opened. I never really messed with Busse a ton. It was hard to find good shore spots. I know some other decent bass ponds around there though.
>>
>>804211
It's right on the corner of higgins and arlingon hts rd.
They just opened a 2nd location I guess.

I don't go much to busse myself either since you pretty much need a boat. Still got skokie lagoons which is great with a bike and places like lake opeka and other well stocked local lakes.
And if you want a fight carp are flogging to the river access at big bend lake at the moment.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>804213
I heard about the Skokie Lagoons but never really checked them out. I had a few little lakes around Palatine, AH, RM, EG and those places. But I didn't fish for like a decade and then picked up again 3mos before I moved.
>>
>>804214
You are better off than me then I only started fishing 2 month ago after a buddy took me to axehead lake and I used one of his spincasters.

Got my own 2 now, Picked up a quantum bundle with a 40 reel with 12 lbs line at 7 foot and just picked up a jawbone rod 6'6 to throw the ugly stik reel i had, and upgraded that to 8 lbs line.

I gotta say though, I'm surprised in the lax fishing laws in the US.
I thought it would be like back in Germany where you had to take tests for a fishing license.
One of the main reasons I never picked up fishing here. Now that I know how easy it is I regret not getting one sooner.
>>
Question: is the lure size recommendation on the side of a rod based on the stregth of mono that you'd normally use it with?

Example: my med rod says to use 1/8-3/4oz lures and i normally do so when I've got it spooled with 8lb mono. If I spool it with 30lb braid, will it work if I run a fish finder rig with 2-8oz of sinker and 2" pieces of cutbait or small live bream?

I won't be distance casting just lazily swinging it out into a hole
>>
>>804223
My med bass rod the most im comfortable tossing with it (even gently) is about 2-3 ounces , depending on what rod,

Those gentle tosses are 10-20 foot max

The heavier you go the more you risk breaking the rod, specifically the tip
>>
>>804219
FYI this guy has a good writeup on what is needed in order to have a fishing license in germany.
http://fishinggermany.jimdo.com/taking-my-german-fishing-license/

The primary thing you'll notice? You have to kill what you catch unless it's undersize or in spawning season. You also have to be able to identify any diseases the fish may have that would prevent you from eating it. You also have to know how to kill any fish you catch humanely. Though this boils down mostly to knocking them out with the back end of your knife then cutting through the gills as they are knocked out.

Common sight fishing in germany is a portable smoker so you can smoke the fish the moment you catch it. Also the testing and classes are in german only.
>>
>>804177
They haven't. 50 years is not that long ago. We've had plastic fishing lures since 1932. You're swallowing marketing hype that is all. They have you hooked.
>>
>>804219
Game is still plentiful in the United States, so it's pretty easy to get a license to go out and shoot or catch it.
>>
So I went canoe fishing to get some campfire food for part of a camping trip and I had a white and red walmart spinning lure that brought in a four 8-10" chubby perch that made good fillets for eating.

I also took out one very tiny finger sized maybe 4" perch out, not because it was a good eating size but because unfortunately it lipped all three barbs on the treble hook on my lure and by the time it was reeled in basically there was more mouth in the tears around the fish's lips than there was in the mouth itself, like the lips were more than halfway past falling off entirely.

Did I make the right call? I feel kind of bad because I'm worried that I was fishing with the wrong tackle. Maybe I'm just a giant bitch when it comes to fishing ethics?
>>
>>804264

You did what you could. Sometimes you hook up on fish you weren't targeting and panfish are well known for having eyes bigger than their mouths.

If anything, small crippled panfish are practically as good as dead. I either use them as bait (whole or cut) or toss them to nearby waterbirds and watersnakes.
>>
>>804264
>boohoohoo da poor fishies

Fish are very primitive organisms that can react to pain, but don't feel it like we do.
>>
>>804265
>If anything, small crippled panfish are practically as good as dead.

And by good as dead, I mean more likely to be eaten than it is to just die.
>>
>>804241
>You have to kill what you catch
The fish over there must be Jewish.

That is an odd rule though.

>>804258
So you're saying there haven't been ANY new designs, plastic formulas, or moulding processes? Yeah okay.
>>
>>803380
Is it illegal to have sex with a fish?
>>
>>804241
>You have to kill what you catch unless it's undersize or in spawning season.

No catch and release?
>>
>>804278
Unless it's in spawning season, undersized, or on the endangered list.
My friend who actually had a license never had any issues catching any fish, what put me off at the time was that i didn't have the time to learn all the stuff about fish. You had to know which fish are bone based, cartilage, etc.

Now I'm in the US and it's 5 bucks for a license at walmart.
>>
>>804258
Check out a Megabass lure and compare it to one from the 1930s
>>
File: image.jpg (514 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
514 KB, 3264x2448
>>804059
Who knows man

>>803969
I got some cory catfish i think they are comparable to nibblesworth

They sit around resting next to each other or rooting around in the sand
>>
>>804239
Yeah. I'd like to have my surf rod for river stripers but it's not available. I can free line 1lb mullet on that and cast it past the breakers. I'm gonna limit myself to about 6oz total and be very gentle. I'm basically dropping it into a run so it can do that without much casting
>>
>>804214
oh wow, should have figured that an anti-gun faggot such as yourself lives in the chicagoland area.
>>
>>804282
>50 years =/= 1930s

50 years ago was 1966.
>>
>>804111
Nice trips. You got me interested in mepps/in lines but desu I don't have great luck with them. They're easy to work but I catch more and bigger fish with the same jig and curly tail grub combo I always use.

I think it's because you can work weed lines but up here in Georgia our cover is mostly rocks and fall downs. I just can't risk tossing a $5 mepps into that shit when I've got 25 jigs that cost me just as much that I can use.
>>
>>804274
>So you're saying there haven't been ANY new designs, plastic formulas, or moulding processes? Yeah okay.

see

>>804129
>Lure tech hasn't improved for over 50 years. Just use the lure styles your grandfather had access to that are still being sold today.,
>>
>>804213
>>804214
Any other decent lakes near the O'hare area? The only lake that I was able to find that wasn't overfished was the lake in Bensenville Ditch County Forest Preserve, but that place has a playground near it so you constantly have some little shitheads throwing rocks into the water. Also, as far as I know it only has catfish and carp.
>>
>>804295
Show me a 50 year old soft plastic brush hog, turtle, ect. Show me some 50 year old lipless cranks then tell me they literally haven't changed at all in that timeframe.
>>
>>804297
http://windycityfishing.com/
That's pretty much my go to at the moment.
>>
>>804300
They literally haven't. Everything looks much the same then as it does now. Although, most baits are more poorly made now it seems. I think that is only because most American bait makers started outsourcing to Asian countries and making production cheaper.
>>
People say "watch the line" when you're fishing - but I'm not using a bobber, and my 8lb monofilmaent line is pretty much fucking invisible against the water. The only way I can see the line is if I look up and contrast it against the sky, but I don't want to be looking up the whole time I'm fishing.

How do you "watch the line" when it's too thin to see? The lure landing in the water is the last time I have any idea where my line/lure is.
>>
>>804311
You feel it.
>>
File: Stren-Catfish-Mono.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Stren-Catfish-Mono.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>804311
I use 1-2lbs sewing nylon line and I'm still able to see it. You probably need to use a clear leader and change the rest of your line to something with high visibility.
>>
>>804311
Keep your line tight and go by feel. Good polarized blue blockers will help you see your lure in clear water.
>>
>>804307
Lmao okay buddy still waiting for a picture of that 50 year old brush hog
>>
File: brush hog.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
brush hog.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>804313
>>804318
If I went by feel, while bait fishing, I'd never catching much because 1 fish would be on the line forever and I'd not know it. Simply because they don't have anywhere to run and typically just swallow it and don't give a fuck. Being able to see that tell-tale faint twitch of the line is how I get tons of fish one after another.

>>804320
Why don't you post a new pic of a brush hog?
>>
>>804315
thanks I think I'll try that by getting a bright green line and then tie the clear leader on using a uni-uni knot (just watched on youtube). should make things a bit easier
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>804321
Not sure what you're trying to prove but okay
>>
>>804321
I use a bullet weight about 12 inches above the hook with a small drop shot weight below it.
You'll still be able to feel it and keep the line tight while the bait is loose enough for fish that don't like resistance.
>>
>>804324
>lots of jig heads

I'm just now learning about those today - what do you catch with them? I've been looking up how to rig them with a little grub plastic for sunfish
>>
>>804324
oh wow a plastic worm! So innovative.

Kid, there's been 10s of 1000s of variations on plastic worms in the past 65 years and I've seen that one come and go and come again.
>>
>>804327
That doesn't work here, unless you don't like catching fish I suppose.
>>
>>804129
> berkley gulp formula
> zoom's super fluke, brush hog

Also, I don't know what them nip do with those lucky craft flash minnow but those shit cast very nicely for a long profile crankbait.

>>804332
yea, but not all of those work and become a staple of fishing. Yamamoto senko can be considered something new and starts a trend with fishing plastic worm design even if it's just a plastic worm.
>>
>>804335
Marketing is a staple of fishing. The point is, that isn't new at all. Just the more recent incarnation of it is marketed better.
>>
>>804333
If you don't like a carolina rig use a drop shot then. There are plenty of rigs you can use.
>>
>>804331
Bass and sunfish. I don't use them too much, but they're GOAT with grubs.

>>804332
>a variation of x is literally the same thing as x

>something designed to look nothing like a worm is a worm

Okey
>>
>>804339
lol No, I'm talking the exact same lure being remarketed 20 years later. How old are you to not know this? Not American I assume?
>>
File: 213.jpg (709 KB, 1575x1540) Image search: [Google]
213.jpg
709 KB, 1575x1540
>>804339
>one more danglely bit = brand new

Anyone remember the 1980s and the plastic worm revolution? we must have made more than 100,000 worms in 1000s of crazy styles in my hometown back then. Every kid had a worm making kit and the Boyscouts even had a design competition.
>>
>>804290
>anti-gun
Wut? Retarded people.

>>804292
Even stuff from the 70s and 80s, especially cranks, are really lacking compared to a lot of new stuff. Not sure why you are lying to yourself about this.
>>
>>804340
Everyone copies senkos because it works. what's the big deal

Now we have shit like whopperploppers and chatterbaits
>>
>>804324
What's that knife
>>
>>804303
I'm aware of all the three chicagoland fishing forums, but the regulars there are pretty secretive of their fishing holes unless they're posting in a specific lake's subsection.
>>
>>804331
I almost exclusively use jigs and grubs. I normally feed the grub all the way up to the jig head with the hook leaving the lure right before the tail starts.

I cast near structure and try to reel it a few inches off the bottom in a way that sweeps it downstream past the structure. Keep the line tight and set on any hard hits.

I like pearl or pumpkinseed in clear water and yellow, pink, purple, and whites in murky water.

Use the frilly tailed tubes or crawfish/big imitators if you're going to be bouncing it slowly over bottom cover and curly tails if you're going to be doing what I described.

I think 1/16 with a 1.5-2in plastic is ideal for sunfish and small bass and 1/8 is perfect for bigger bass.

I wouldn't use anything bigger than 6lb mono
>>
>>804347
Yeah, Heddon's, Arbogast's, and Creme's stuff has been ripped off so many times and all the people do is make a slight change to dodge copyright/patent/trademarks and shit. Each one is heralded as some new massive innovation in the fishing world.
>>
>>804357
nice info, thank ya
>>
>>804353
I ran into some at the lakes. Much more open if you run into them there. Probably because it's not quite as public or permanent.
>>
>>804340
20 years isn't 50. Thank you for agreeing with me.

>>804345
>one more danglely bit = brand new

I mean yeah. And if it works better it's by definition an innovation.

Not saying it's some end all be all redefining lure, but to say nothing has changed is ignorant.

>>804348
I bought it at a gunshow, but the dude has a website. I'll find it when I get home.
>>
>>804297
There are some decent ones out west by like Bartlett that a friend fished a lot. There were two small ones I liked a lot for shore fishing and 2-3lb bass. One is Elk Grove, off Devon just east of 290. By these tall buildings, I think one is a Westin hotel.

The other you may get kicked out of, but it's an apartment complex in RM, called "Three Fountains" I think and it's on Algonquin Rd a lil east of 53. That is a great lil lake though.
>>
>>804370
>20 years isn't 50. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Idiot.
>>
>>804370
That dude is delusional. Don't even argue it.

And you can look at an old Heddon's or Mepps and the paints, colors, and plastic or rubber are shitty compared to the newer ones. I have some 70s Rapalas and the paints and fishishes are kinda shitty. The Originals are still pretty similar, but when they first started using plastic they were nowhere near as clean as a new Husky Jerk or X-Rap.
>>
>>804376
https://www.bassmaster.com/gear/worm

>literally nothing has changed since the 60s

>salted lures
>brush hog comes out in 84
>soft plastic jerk in 87
>senko in 97

Yeah. LITERALLY nothing. All the same. All marketing.
>>
>>804376
>>804332
>>804340

assuming these are all you

>calling someone "Kid"
>saying "How old are you to not know this?"
>calling someone "Idiot"

I don't know what's going on in your personal life that's got you so angry, but dude, taking it out on strangers is a jerk move. Chill out
>>
>>804381
That's a whole lot of change in 30yrs...
>>
I've never owned a baitcaster. Looking to get a setup for crank and jerkbaits.

How much can I expect to spend on a good setup? I don't want cheap chinkshit, and I won't be in any tournaments so I don't need an expensive setup. Middle of the road, quality setup that's good for a baitcaster novice.
I'll take suggestions. Also, mono, flouro, or braided?
>>
>>804390
You gotta spend at least $50 to get anything that isn't total garbage normally. $120-$150 is probably a good mid-range price.

And the line, I gotta say braid but depends what you want to do with it.
>>
>>804378
Meh I'm bored at work. Keeps me busy.

>>804382
I just chalk it up to being 4chan. Everyone is kind of a dick to each other.

>>804390
You could get away with $200ish for a decent set up.

If you go with braid, I'd get a pole that that doesn't have a super fast tip. I think it's easier to work jerk baits, and that little bit of give helps hook fish on cranks (apparently, I haven't noticed a huge hookup difference personally).
>>
>>804287
I wouldn't go over 3 or 4 unless you are literally dropping it right down
>>804311
Get better eyesight , get some carrots and shit
I've fished with 8 lb mono and always watch my line, well more so I focus on where the line enters the water and see if that moves
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.