[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Talk about things you've learned about nature, such as botany,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: DSCF1940.jpg (463 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1940.jpg
463 KB, 1280x960
Talk about things you've learned about nature, such as botany, plant ID, bird watching, climatology, soil science, silviculture, evolution of life, geography, biology, biogeography, oceanography, and unknown spiritual goo substance of the primordial.

I will start by asking a question; I was collecting seeds of a plant, and right after I harvested them, some of them got wet and immediately sprouted. This seems odd as they have a specific growing cycle, and would need to sprout next year to complete that cycle, so they should be able to NOT sprout until the next year.
>>
>>802928
I enjoyed reading Terrence McKenna's Food of the Gods, in which he attributes the birth of advanced human consciousness to Psychedelic plants.

He explains how as animals we moved from the trees to the ground to forage for food and in doing so stumbled across plants and fungi containing psilocybin. These mushrooms lead to a growth in consciousness and cognitive ability and pushed us on a path towards tool use, further increasing our brainpower still.

Not totally related but it's interesting and I want to add something to your thread.
>>
>>802928
Yeah, I isn't very smart so I is gonna ask another question.

In the wikipedia article on "Subarctic climate", they display this sentence:

>Low precipitation, by the standards of more temperate regions with longer summers and warmer winters, is typically sufficient in view of the very low evapotranspiration to allow a water-logged terrain in many areas of subarctic climate and to permit snow cover during winter.

So, my question is, does low evapotranspiration (due to low overall temperatures) contribute to increased snow cover? I'm assuming it's not, but this long sentence and it's wording are sort of confusing me.\\

>>802973
That is interesting, but it's hard to imagine what exactly progressed due to shrooms. Some animals eat them and then avoid them after, because it can be unpleasant and endangers you when you're an animal trying to survive. Those land monkeys could have had some profound prelinguistic insights but I don't think they could process them as well as humans who can speak and think in words can. Maybe it helped them make tools by enhancing their creativity? But it's even hard for me to imagine how much it could affect semi modern humans, at least technologically. It probably helped their culture, but not necessarily increase they chances of survival. But culture is very important. So did he say at which stage in evolution we gained insights?
>>
>>802981
Yeah you're actually right on the money with your mention of linguistics.

>To summarize: McKenna theorizes that as the North African jungles receded toward the end of the most recent ice age, giving way to grasslands, a branch of our tree-dwelling primate ancestors left the branches and took up a life out in the open -- following around herds of ungulates, nibbling what they could along the way.

Among the new items in their diet were psilocybin-containing mushrooms growing in the dung of these ungulate herds. The changes caused by the introduction of this drug to the primate diet were many -- McKenna theorizes, for instance, that synesthesia (the blurring of boundaries between the senses) caused by psilocybin led to the development of spoken language: the ability to form pictures in another person's mind through the use of vocal sounds.

As he says himself, he's an explorer, not a scientist but I think his theories may hold some truth to them.

Got any questions about bird watching? That's my shit.
>>
>>802928
I studied horticulture at university, but I don't really understand your question. What is a 'specific growing cycle'?
Seems you just broke the seed's dormancy, perhaps out of season
>>
File: Group this year.jpg (194 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Group this year.jpg
194 KB, 960x720
>>802928
I just store all my seeds inside an old coffee can with small holes punched into the lid with my knife. Stored it every year, for five years, inside the garage during winter.

Spring arrives, I just pop it open and shake it to check for spiders. After they are slain, I just plant the seeds in the ground.

I grow marigolds every year because I find their color and petal formations to be amazing.

If I find a particular flower that I like, I make sure to mark that plant with a little bread tie around the stem. I save those certain seeds in a different container.

Just like the first people to use agriculture, I select plants with traits that I like and give their offspring the best possible chance to succeed.

I even sometimes mix them with mums for additional flare... only problem is their hybridization gives the offspring the worst possible traits from each parent.

>took this a couple days ago
>>
File: Firecracker variant.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Firecracker variant.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>804054
Last year I made sure to save this one's seeds. I love the mix of colors
>>
File: burgundy variant.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
burgundy variant.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>804056
The deepest red I could get. It took four years of inbreeding one that had a milder red than the others. Again, saved the seeds using a coffee can and no special care whatsoever.
>>
File: DSCF1957.jpg (458 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1957.jpg
458 KB, 1280x960
>>803353
>>803353
I assumed that the seed should have the ability to stay dormant until next year. The seed got wet less than a day after the seed ripened, and then it sprouted. I know that some seeds in my area have to be exposed to cold temperatures (like winter) and then once the temp goes back up they will sprout.

I'm not sure of the specific life cycle of this plant (wild blue lupine), idk if it's a perennial or annual for example. How do perennials seed cycles work? If a plant's "first year" consists of growing a small basal rosette, and then in its "second year" it grows larger and produces seeds, at what point does the seed germinate? (hope that made sense)
>>
>>803018
I doubt creatures needed to trip out in order to make new noises with their throats.
>>
>>803018
yeah I got a question do you do anything other than watch birds?
>>
File: DSCF2052.jpg (445 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2052.jpg
445 KB, 1280x960
>>804721
It possibly made them more self aware. But like I said, shrooms are so intoxicating, at least if you're really tripping, that I think a half monkey half caveman would have a hard time getting anything useful from it. More modern humans on the other hand may have benefited a lot
>>
>>804723
yeah I do

any more questions
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.