[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car camping essentials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Tentsile-Sting-Ray-Tent.-2.jpg (131 KB, 740x494) Image search: [Google]
Tentsile-Sting-Ray-Tent.-2.jpg
131 KB, 740x494
Hey /out/ists. I've been a long time camper, but now that I am learning2adult, it has fallen on my shoulders to start assembling my own camping trips. I know the basics of car camping, but what are some things that are absolutely crucial to the success of a camping trip? Lets assume that I am bringing supplies for 2 people, for a 3 to 4 day weekend. I'm not talking consumables like wood, or food. I have a tent and a sleeping bag, but not much else. Also, my car is a mid-sized sedan so, it doesn't hold a whole lot.
>>
>>803787
If you are going car camping, sleep in the car. It's much less enjoyable than camping out in a site next to your car, unless that's important to you. In my experience with car camping, it's better to go on trails and explore rather than spend time on an actual campsite, due to the fact you can pack in food you don't need to heat up and keep it in your car, and you don't need to put much work into a fire because you can bring in truck stop wood. Honestly though, if you're going to put thought into a camping trip, why not do it right? Most camping places you don't hike to have families screaming all around, car sounds near your tent, and maintain a mostly synthetic camping experience.
>>
>>803832
Not much less enjoyable****
>>
You need food water and shelter to start.

The next thing you need is stuff for fun. We can discuss that later.

You have a tent so there is your shelter. You also have sleeping bags which you will want. Now you need beds. Sleeping on the ground socks. Cheapest route is Walmart air mattresses for about $8 each. They will take forever to blow up without a small pump. They are comfy too surprisingly.

Now you need food. I know you said no consumables but this is important. You need a way to prepare food. If you can bring a small folding grill you're good to go. You'll also need coolers to store food. A good trick is to freeze bottles of water. They will keep stuff cold and as they melt, you have water. Can do the same with gatorade.

Water is a pain if the campground doesn't have it. A container to hold water is nice if water is a ways away. Allows you to wash your hands, clean up, ect.

2 basins to wash dishes is nice. One for soapy water, one for rinsing.

Plan your meals so you know what you need to cook with. Plan meals to use the least amount of pots and pans if possible. Less to clean.

Bring bug spray and sun screen.
>>
>>803832
I can hike in my shit just fine, and if I wanted to do that, I would. I am a young-ish male with a normal amount of friends and a social life. If I am car camping, it is to entertain other people, or to be sociable. I'm not car camping to "escape into nature" I'm car camping because I want to get shit wasted and be loud as fuck in a semi secluded area.
>>
>>803839
For fun, bring whatever you want. Alcohol is at the top of that list usually. You can also bring a frisbee, some yard games like corn hole, some books to read, or various games to play. Some of these work better with a large group of people.
>>
>>803843
I do drugs for fun. But, cornhole sounds sick as shit while coked out.
>>
>>803787
> laser required for blinding bears
> assuming N. Hemisphere
>>
Beer darts is a fun game for camping. Inverter/generator is nice to have for phones/griddle/trolling motor batteries.
Lots of lawn games are fun to bring.

Also acid.
>>
File: 1378171185455.jpg (40 KB, 352x315) Image search: [Google]
1378171185455.jpg
40 KB, 352x315
>>803841
i am in the same boat :-) i also get drunk as fuck and sleep in my car. the motto is, "get drunk enough to sleep in your car"

you will wake up at 5 in the morning though, its just a given. alternative, is buy a 3 person tent and just bring a back seat full of blankets for mucho confort. works like a charm and takes like 20 minutes to take down / set up.

PRO TIP, ITS VERY IMPORTANT::: start drinking AFTER the tent is set up.
>>
>>803892
I thought car camping meant packing all your shit into a campsite via car. Unfortunately where I camp in Oregon gets a lot of rain, so cotton blankets are kind of a no-go.
>>
>>803787
>long time camper
>learning2adult
choose one
>>
>>803905
>I thought car camping meant packing all your shit into a campsite via car.
It does. Car camping can be done in random US forests on logging roads or developed pay campsites. Don’t listen to this guy >>803832
I often do it on the way to backpacking trailheads as part of a road/carcamping/backpacking adventure.
Sometimes it is helpful to car camp at altitude for a night, before you hit a high altitude backpacking trail.
Car camping increases your versatility, and saves money on hotels.
I’ve even done suitcase camping via public transit, and I’m no crusty/gutter/scumpunk beggar.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.