[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever worn Vibrams /out/? I like the pair I wear to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 15M4602.jpg.png (213 KB, 595x438) Image search: [Google]
15M4602.jpg.png
213 KB, 595x438
Anyone ever worn Vibrams /out/?

I like the pair I wear to the gym, but am not sure how this style of footwear would hold up on hikes, even though they sell types geared for outdoors.
>>
File: runningsandals.jpg (10 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
runningsandals.jpg
10 KB, 241x209
>>798087
depends on the kind of hike OP.

I take mine trail running through a wooded lowland area near my house. Sometimes I go barefoot. been thinking about making a pair of running sandals (pic related) when they give out

Personally I'd never take them hiking outside of something ultralight. Distance wise, I wouldn't trust them if I wanted to make serious miles.

Again, if you live someplace that's really rocky, thorny, or otherwise demanding protection, you might be better off with something more substantial.

That said, I like thin & minimal shoes .Makes you pay more attention to your stride/where you step, also makes your feet strong as fuck. Kinda makes regular boots feel awesome
>>
>>798284
those sandals look awful,
>climbing hill
>slipper flap gets caught on root causing you to trip up and stub your big toe
>broken/black nail
however i did see some hippy scampering up a trail last weekend without shoes, he was moving quicker then me with some trail runners on.

>>798087
kys if you wear those shoes to the gym
>>
ive tried them and they were shit
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 550x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 550x403
>not wearing anything but bottled water sandals to go /out/

It's 2016 guys. Cmon, get on my level
>>
>>798295
Saw a clearly ill prepared guy on the trail this weekend with tevas. Part of a big group. See him a couple hours later alone jogging. Not sure if he was separated or had somewhere to be, but about 50 yards past me he stubs his toe bad and stops.

>>798087
Dunno about those vibrams but I wear minimal trail runners and after about 10 miles, you really start to feel those rocks and roots. Also stubbed toes.
>>
>>798418
I use a pair of new balance minimuses as my main hiking/trail running shoe. I wouldn't take them hunting but they have been fine on 30+ mile overnighters.
I want to buy one two sizes too big and line it with bunny fur but I guess that would defeat the purpose.
>>
>>798323
I mean come on, it's the current year.
>>
File: 7236a0c20.jpg (60 KB, 672x450) Image search: [Google]
7236a0c20.jpg
60 KB, 672x450
>>798323
I've always wanted to make a pair of Ho Chi Min Sandals. They make them out of car tires.
>>
I have vibram soles on my boots. I guess they dont count, right?
>>
I would really like to go barefoot more, but if you've seen what eastern Australian eucalyptus scrub is like you'd know why you just can't do it. I've got no idea how aboriginals got by without shoes.
>>
>>798087
Nah I just wear my flippy floppies everywhere like a casual boss.
>>
>>799370
They were just to stupid to care. Try huffing some keyboard cleaner
>>
>>798087
just wore a pair of these on a week long canoe trip. great canoe shoes IMO

longest portage was 3 km with no troubles.
>>
>>798295

>kys if you wear those shoes to the gym

they are literally the best footwear for squatting/deadlifting
>>
>>799065
Jesus those make me cringe. I have the foot fur of a hobbit and I can't even wear regular leather sandals without the straps tugging at my hairs. Thank god for the fall of communism.
>>
>>798295
time to get educated idiot.
>The Rarámuri or Tarahumara are a Native American people of northwestern Mexico who are renowned for their long-distance running ability.
>these people developed a tradition of long-distance running up to 200 miles (320 km) in one session, over a period of two days through their homeland of rough canyon country
>The Tarahumara's wear huaraches, a traditional form of minimal footwear (essentially the same style as those sandals)

in summary, the tarahumara run hundreds of kilometers in rough terrain with similar style sandals and have no issues
>>
>>799841
u read Born to Run too? good book. definitely overplays the chia seed shit tho, they're good, but not that good.
>>
File: 20150203_160935.jpg (450 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20150203_160935.jpg
450 KB, 2048x1152
>>798087
they are comfy camp shoes, good for stream walking and just general comfy around the camp,

your ankles and upwards will become more dirty/dusty then your used to if you roll with boots

wouldn't recommend them for hikes, but they weight half of my sandals which i used to bring for camp shoes, so for comfy and weight for a superfluous luxury they cant be beat imo.

also, if you have a pair. i would recommend trying stepping on snow, the feel of fresh snow, without the feeling of getting wet is very interesting
>>
I frequently go for trail runs on rough terrain in my 6 year old vibrams that i've beat the shit out of and barely take care of. They're still holding up great and serve me well.

I don't see any point to wearing them personally though unless you are into running with a forefoot strike for the purpose of avoiding knee and shin pain. That's the only reason I started running with them.
>>
File: footpain.jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
footpain.jpg
15 KB, 300x225
>>801091
nice! I just mended my 5+ year old ones, they're in a tub soaking with soap n water now.

What do you think about running on roads with them? I personally hate it, and avoid going over 2-3 miles (I'll happily go 16-17miles in the woods with them). That said, this cut as fuck woman passed me on a marathon wearing a pair of them. It was on a downhill and I still remember the sound of her soles slapping the pavement... makes me cringe thinking about that impact.
>>
>>799498
Damn, I want an Abbo as a pet now. Too bad for the shitty import laws. Maybe I will smuggle one over here.

From listening to you cunts, they sound like a combination of Native Americans and niggers. They must be so awful.
>>
>>799646
Short femurs/mini-legs chimp-esque manlet detected.

But in all seriousness, my bio mechanics do not allow me to hit proper squat depth without squat shoes. I've tried literally everything and had a highly recommended powerlifting coach work with me to try and fix the problem but the only thing that works is squat shoes.
>>
>>798323
>>799065
You guys are stupid and I hate you.
>>
>>801119
Check out mobilitywod on youtube
>>
>>798284
>running sandals
If you want blisters at every point the straps meet your skin, then sure go ahead.

Blisters on ankles and between big toe and the next are the definition of "not fun"
>>
>>798323
>ultralight hikers in a nutshell
>>
took em hiking through bryce, zion, grand teton, arches, and grand canyon national parks
>pros
comfy
dry out quickly
thin, soft sole (this might be a con for you)
good grip
>cons
stinky
rocks can get stuck b/w your toes sometimes
>>
Your feet will be sore as fuck if you're not used to barefoot or wearing vibrams. People don't realize that they've atrophied their feet from wearing boots and tennis shoes.
>>
>>802941
yeah this. when I go running barefoot (which isn't too far off from running in 5-fingers) I some sort of comment from some dumbass like "wow, ur brave" or "jeez, doesn't that hurt?", and I usually just smile and pass them, but if I ever find myself in a conversation I'll say that;

No it doesn't hurt and

No I'm not brave, or stupid or insane.

Humans evolved running like this for a long time, and it's completely fine to do it. The feet complex structures on our bodies and need to be strong and dynamic like the rest of us You just need to build up to it. It's like having never gone swimming and expecting to go diving for pearls.

That said, I still hike in well built, thick soled shoes, and I like to work in boots.When your feet get in shape and you put on an old pair of shoes, it kind of feels like god mode. Your balance goes through the roof and you +20 sneak.
>>
>>802953
i had the opposite experience
>most of my shoes are pretty minimal
>feet are used to it
>put on a pair of skate styled shoes
>walk maybe 3 miles with breaks in between
>feet sore as fuck the next day
>>
>>801279
Huaraches are strapped tight to the feet and don't move about, look into it.
>>
File: DSC_2679 Panorama9r.jpg (1 MB, 1334x864) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2679 Panorama9r.jpg
1 MB, 1334x864
I've hiked a few 14ers in kso's but they aren't durable enough for regular 12+ mile hikes
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.