[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Season 2 Alone thread #2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 22
File: season 2 contestants.jpg (135 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
season 2 contestants.jpg
135 KB, 960x540
Old thread >>739383

My predictions:

Jose
Larry
Mike
Nicole
Justin
Pastor with glasses
>>
>>772196
>>772223
The slingshot rubber can also be used to make a polespear for spearfishing or hunting.

For those not familiar, you attach rubber to back of spear, then loop rubber around palm and grab spear near head. When you let go the head rockets forward; can be used to catch fish either in the water or from the surface, and the speed and force mean you can generally catch larger fish than with a regular spear. Larger fish it can't actually get through can sometimes be stunned long enough to catch too.
>>
>>772820
Also forgot to add: the polespear can be good life after death for slingshot when the rubber starts to wear out, since the max you can stretch it is only limited by the rubber itself and the length of your spear so you can get a bit more power out of it whereas with the slingshot you are limited by arm length how far back you can pull it.
>>
>>772820
>>772832
Nice idea, definitely a factor worth considering.

>>772546
I did some brief research online, it seems most people so you can get a bit over 1000 shots with the right kind of band and if you take proper care of it. One guy mentioned that he got just over 1300 shots.

I got the impression though that the high power bands, most likely the type you would need to hunt something big like deer, wears out much quicker, somewhere in the 100-200 shot range.

I'm actually a bit disappointed by that, I thought they were more durable, but 1000 shots with good aim can still translate into a lot of food.

I also recall some slingshot designs are basically just a simple metal frame wrapped in something like paracord for the grip, so you can sneak in some extra ninja gear that way. When the band fails, the frame itself could also be repurposed for something else, but I can't think of anything right now.
>>
Just watched the hippy take several minutes to saw the spine of a fish with her knife.

Have to wonder if that knife is even close to sharp, and why she did not just use the fucking point and stab it just behind the eyes.

Then she proceeds to gut the fish with her 10 inch blade while holding on to it by the handle.
FFS i thought these were supposed to be "experienced survival experts".
>>
It would be nice to see Survival Lilly on a show like this.
>>
>i need to learn to live with my painful past

what the fuck? can't they just pick normal people that enjoy nature?
>>
>>774804
not enough "drama" for the producers.
>>
>>773388
Milf tho
>>
File: 1562.jpg (182 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1562.jpg
182 KB, 736x736
>Everyone is worried about bears and cougars
>No one has begun building a perimeter wall

Why?
>>
when the bearded dude was blowing on the sparks to make fire they played this dramatic music i thought his beard was going to burst into flames any minute.
>>
>>775090
Not even that
>Continuing to cook and store food in the same place you sleep
I thought these people were supposed to be experts
>>
>>775090
Energy cost to do so is enormous: I'm still catching up on Season 1 and havent started watching season 2 yet but the calorix expense of such a project is huge .
>>
>>774787
absolutely

she is so sexxy plus her new *companion* now.
>>
anyone interested in me replaying the last 5 ep?
movietme.com/VAL.html

usually the normies leave when I stream anything concerning bushcraft (ray mears) or doomsday durvival. yea, i'm tipsy. Thor is on now but I will steam current season of Alone then Mr. Proenekke living in the Alaskan wilderness.
>>
>>775323
besides movies I steam pretty good tv shows like arrested development, China XL, Chrildens Hospital among others.

C0me by and see us and chate!
>>
>>775326
I also plan to steam Dick Proenneke surviving in tghe wilderness
>>
File: salmon.jpg (1 MB, 2250x1006) Image search: [Google]
salmon.jpg
1 MB, 2250x1006
>>772535
It bugs me that all the survivors are filleting the fish instead of just gutting them and cooking them whole. If I was desperate to get every calorie possible like the contestants should be I'd just gut them then boil it in a bit of water.
>>
>>772535
How smart would it be to begin working on a long term shelter almost immediately after arriving? Most contestants who last long enough work on something anyways, and if you start early you can work on it while you still have a full stomach and aren't all thirsty.
>>
>>775370
Not smart at all.
>build shelter and wall first two days after arrival
Now you've got your shelter, but you're cold, thirsty, tired and hungry. Your muscles won't cooperate, you are having trouble striking sparks or setting traps... and it's only day three. Your stomach is empty, your reserves are depleted. You're about to have a bad time.
>>
>>775488
Survival is a lazy man's game, Whoever burns the least calories wins.
>>
>>775314

Is she up 4 anal doe
>>
>>775364
Even better, making fish soup and just boiling it until the meat fall of the bones.
>>
>>775488
It will just be even worse the longer you wait.
>>
>>775653
Yeah, when they fillet it they lose lots of calories, and again when they cook it in a pan all those good juices dry up and they get washed off. So much waste.
>>
I can't watch this, these people never fucking stop complaining. OF COURSE EVERYTHING IS GOING TO SUCK, YOU'RE IN THE FOREST!
>>
>>775370
>How smart would it be to begin working on a long term shelter almost immediately after arriving?
>>775488
>Not smart at all.

I would disagree, but not in all cases. This depends a great deal on what you pick and what area you end up being dropped in to. Based on my (limited) experience and what other contestants have selected as their gear picks, most seem to take 1 food ration pick, some of them take 2 food ration picks. If you know how to pick the food rations right, you will have at least 10k calories per pick, those one or two food ration picks can last you at least 5+ days on a 2000 calories a day quota. This is assuming zero calories from the land, but opportunity finds are also a factor.

5 days of not having to worry about foraging food while you construct a sturdy shelter could actually be a pretty good strategy, but I personally would only do this after scouting the surrounding area of my base camp to make sure the potential for hunting/trapping/fishing/foraging/water would suffice, otherwise I would use those resources instead to relocate to a better place, if possible.

The advantages of a sturdy shelter for the end goal of winning the prize might be worth the bit of a gamble up front, but in reality I still think it is the best way to go, given the environment you are dropped in to.

For me personally I would very much consider taking two food rations if only to be able to get a nocturnal predator secure shelter up as fast as possible without having to spend time on my short term energy needs. Nearly every instance where a contestant has encountered a big predator they tapped out.

Still, it is hard to say since the premise of Alone is far from an exact science, even when you look at purely from statistical and probabilistic game theory perspective.
>>
>>776557
While I really like this show, at the end of the day it is not aimed at true /out/fags. Most reality TV shows pick people that provide the most entertainment(drama) for the viewers, not the most suitable to meet their arbitrary winning conditions.

At the very least I know I'd have to fake a lot of my motivations for doing Alone to be accepted, regardless of my actual survival skills.
>>
>>776557
Remember that it's probably part of their contract to make these vlogs.
In these situations, if you have to talk, the mind drifts to the immediate needs, which sounds like complaining. Not many have the natural charm to speak about everything else but what's bearing on them.
It's amazing how loneliness works, we are used to get outside confirmation for every action we make. Even lack of comment is confirmation. Suddenly you start to doubt your most simple decisions when you don't have anyone to bounce the action on for that "yeah sure".
Mix this with being tired/wet/hungry/thirsty and a bad night sleep...

I don't know, I'm just inclined to cut them some slack.
>>
>>776824
I don't agree with that, these people aren't exactly 'wacky characters'. Honestly I'm pretty surprised how little they seem to care about catering to people at large outside that overdramatic intro sequence. There's so much time spent with just people explaining what they're building or doing and why they're building/doing it.
>>
Oh geez that episode 6.

Don't scare me like that Larry you're my bro come on. Whew!
>>
so what have you learned from this show? personally its the small stuff,
attach your firesteel to something large and never disconnect it
dont build/ camp right on the beach
if your in a really limited food survival situation dont make a crazy shelter
>>
Larry is our robot representative. May kek guide him.
>>
File: 1463608955133.jpg (297 KB, 662x604) Image search: [Google]
1463608955133.jpg
297 KB, 662x604
>>777283
agreed, pic related

so how will people go out?

From most likely to least:
Randy - crushing loneliness, the one weakness of socially addicted normie scum
Nicole - realizes life with living kids > wasting time on dead kid, probably with some dramatic bullshit exposition of how she felt the dead kid giving her permission to move on
David - the siren call of KFC
Larry - finds soothing inner peace and a reason to continue his painful sisyphean existence
Mike - ??? longing forever more for sweet Lenore?
Justin - ??? drowning in his sleep? bench pressing without a spotter?
Jose - ??? freak boating accident?
>>
>>777414
Randy is such a fucking normie hipster, god damn.
>>
>>777414
Jose will quit earlier. He has only gotten one good meal since he has been there. I believe he lived on his emergency ratio's and built up fat since day 1.

Also David will last much longer I would even bet in the top 3.

>money as motivation to continue

>has 2 gillnets

>immune to loneliness

The guy is a divorced ex-pastor and probably lives distant of his kids. He wants to win the money to finally get some more attention from his kids by buying them presents.
>>
>>777283
Larry's freakout this episode was amazing, he wants to burn the forest down with every rodent trapped inside
>>
>>777765
How long does it take him after losing to go postal?
>>
>>777462
honestly I'm not sure about the order at all, save that there is no fucking way Randy will win this thing. he's like a rough hipster copy of that musical instrument making faggot last season.
>>
>>775635
>>Survival is a lazy man's game, Whoever burns the least calories wins.

Unless your just saving up calories for a predator's belly.

Geographic context is everything.
>>
I enjoy the show immensely, but can't forget the
massive fakery of Season 1 --now apparently
masked this Season by the non-appearance of
the 'overview map' of Vancouver Island, showing
all contestants.

Anyone with access to Google earth could see
what a sham some locations were (Sam's in
particular, and to a much lesser extent, Joe's
as well), so History are playing us smarter this
time.

Rooting for "Cussin" Larry, against all hope,
just because of the raw deal he got, location
wise.

I think David will win this
Mike may miss his wife too much. Or not.
Nicole's location is (almost too) nice.
Jose is too reckless, and is off-script re survival.
I mean, it's one thing to burn calories and risk
small injuries on what Justin's been doing for
giggles, but Jose seems to have a death wish.
>>
>>777793

>>777777
>>
>>778091
>Anyone with access to Google earth could see what a sham some locations were
explain

also for some reason I got the feeling that the "random" selection of locations by the contestants early on was not random at all.
>>
Nond of these people thought to bring a book on edible plants in vancuver?
>>
File: alone season 1.jpg (83 KB, 800x394) Image search: [Google]
alone season 1.jpg
83 KB, 800x394
>>778151

Okay, fine.
Pic related is the overall map of Season1
contestants' locations, take note of Sam's
location on Winter Harbour, and Google it.
>>
>>778252
Pic related is zoomed in on where Sam's location
is indicated, the west peninsula at the northern
chokepoint of Winter Harbour.
>>
File: alone season 1 sam 1.jpg (82 KB, 470x466) Image search: [Google]
alone season 1 sam 1.jpg
82 KB, 470x466
>>778256
Whoops, forgot pic.
>>
File: alone season 1 sam 2.jpg (136 KB, 907x541) Image search: [Google]
alone season 1 sam 2.jpg
136 KB, 907x541
>>778257
.aaaand here's a real-close look at
the peninsula.

If the map was accurate, that's not a
wilderness at all, to put it mildly. It's
more like someone's large backyard.

Joe's location was much worse, but
still within a half-mile from drop-off to
a coastal road. The drop-off footage
matches with the marshy delta seen
on Google Earth, and it's just off the
"Spencer Cove Recreation Site".

I don't think Joe cheated, though, lol.
I suspect Sam was favored by the
show's producers from the start.

This Season, I have serious issues with
where I think Nicole was dropped off,
but the producers have decided not to
show a map of contestant locations,
so I can't be sure.
>>
>>775653
daily reminder: fish heads are entirely edible.
>>
>>778260
>This Season, I have serious issues with where I think Nicole was dropped off
you may be right. it felt like they all but pitched her tent for her.
>>
>>778260
Thanks man, that's way worse than I thought.
Given winter harbor location, all of them save Alan and Mitch should have seen a bunch of boats sail past them every day.

My issue with the show is that they neglect to show some of most interesting parts for me.
>Randy: show me what is he doing to keep the fire/embers going 24/7.
>Mike: As many have mentioned, how did his shelter fare through the storm, what did he do to prepare for that?
>Nicole: How come we got no video of her building her shelter, except the door. Would be interesting to see.
>>
>>778361
You're most welcome, lol.

I'm trying hard to locate all of the Season 2
contestants, but it's terribly slow going, lol.
I would have thought Mike's little island was
going to be a geographic gimme, but at this
rate, the show will be over before I get it done.
>>
>>778372
go back to episode one or two, I swear they briefly should the starting positions on a map and the supposedly random process of site selection.
>>
>>778301
to be fair, she has to live with bears hanging out with her everyday she gets food. Her reaction is a million times better than the black commando who left the first day
>>
>>778260
>that's not a
wilderness at all, to put it mildly.

In Sam's "Extended Dropoff Scene" video on the history channel web site, you can even see buildings in the background when Sam's camera follows the plane as it leaves.
>>
>>778406
she's a fucking safari guide. it's like commending a botanist for being able to hang around plants
>>
>>778479
It's easier for her, sure ...but she's still to be commended for having her shit together in that department, regardless of how she got it together prior.

Desmond's quick tap-out must have really annoyed the thousands of applicants who didn't get into the show.
>>
>>779758
The [commendable -------------- expected] scale is significantly influenced by experience in this instance, IMO. Now what would be commendable to me is if someone without prior exposure managed to keep their shit together. Like, if a doctor does CPR that's expected - you'd shit on them if they fucked up something so basic. But if a 7 year old does CPR, that's commendable.

Desmond should be berated for being a pussy after that ghetto '''IMMA KILL DEM BEARS NIQQUA, DA BEARS SHOULD BE WORRIED BOUT ME, NOT DA OTHER WAY AROUND' jibber jabber. Hate that fucking 'acting hard' shit, it's so goddamn primitive. If you're scared, voice your concerns like an adult or just stfu.

I hope his friends never let him live down the fact that he didn't even SEE A FUCKING BEAR and literally got scared away by bear shit.
>>
So, i lost count. This is Larry's FOURTH shelter location?
>>
>>780814
Second. When did he change his location?another 2 times?
>>
>>781057
Does the "moron move" on the beach count?
If so, then the creekside is 2nd,
the two large, dead logs (mouse included) is 3rd,
and this A-frame overlooking the sea is 4th?
>>
>>781136
Didn't notice desu, but could be.

But he also got a very bad area to start with.
>>
>>781294
Larry seems to have gotten the worst real estate.
No wonder he wants to blow everything up, lol.
>>
>>777414
larry is going to burn the whole island to the ground over one mouse
>>
>>782079
Meh, it's not like we need the Island for next season.
>>
Super pissed that ep 7 has been bumped to June 9 by the Roots remake.

Maybe Desmond will be in it, lol.
>>
>>783862
This, so much this. I want my innawoods show!
>>
Jose finds sea snails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BkNQtAYfo
>>
>>786191
Good stuff, lol.
I like Jose.
>>
>>786191
How this sort of footage fails to make the cut, IDK.

They have all the airtime for Nicole giggling over her SECOND salmon cleaning...
...guess I know who's "anointed" to win this season.
>>
>reality TV show
>stupid drama shit
Is this good with actual survival or the same old trash?
>>
>>775641
>Is she up 4 anal
I am sure that Survival Lilly would bang you in the ass with a hand carved strap-on.
>>
>>786625
JMO...
It's entertaining, and occasionally educational,
which means it's already way ahead of nearly
all the other survival-themed shows out there.

This season, I'm watching chiefly in hope/fear
for Larry being brutally taken out.by the
Canadian Armed Forces, in order to save
Vancouver Island from utter destruction.
>>
first episode season 2. that hulking she-beast pushes down a tree. oh wow
>>
>yells at a bear
>get so butthurt because she got angry that she cried all night and went home
>unironically calls herself "the rage monster"
this fucking show man
>>
>>772535
What are Nicole's boots in that picture? I really like them.
>>
>>786980
>she
I still have doubts about that famalam
>>
>>777414
Now that Larry's found a better camp-location, I fear his odds of winning have worsened. :(
>>
>>786858
May kek help Larry fulfill his destiny and become king of scorched Vancouver Island.

>>787295
His new campsite is better than all his other ones. At least he has some flat terrain to explore instead of climbing all the time.
>>
>>787330

Yes, as I said: a better camp-location, hence
there is less of the Island to blame for shit.
Too much of Larry's rage may turn inward now.

We know Jose's boat capsizes from the trailers,
but is that Larry who nearly sets a tree on fire?
>>
>>787378
Standing right outside his new, "better location" ...Larry taps out:

0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFujI2S1cA

or does he?
>>
File: larry breakdown.png (539 KB, 535x439) Image search: [Google]
larry breakdown.png
539 KB, 535x439
>>787433
"I just didn't want to let my family down... *sob*
"I just didn't want to let myself down..."

REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: alone-alan-01-435.jpg (61 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
alone-alan-01-435.jpg
61 KB, 435x580
why havnt there been anyone as based as Alan?

also, anyone know if the sheath for his Kukri is custom or if its comercially available
>>
>>786625
It's a mix. Enough drama and bullshit to get airtime on a major network, but enough info and genuine skills to be worth a watch. You also have to remember that a lot of things that you or I may dismiss as obvious, might be interesting/useful tips for someone who doesn't go innawoods often.
>>
Is there a torrent of episode 7 yet?
>>
>>787804
looks like kydex so probably custom
>>
>>787804
I think Jose is pretty up there, although he's not as funny.
>>
>>787933
Ep.7 hasn't aired yet.

As >>783862 noted earlier, Ep.7 was bumped to June 9 by a ridiculous, multi-channel airing of that silly "Roots" remake.
>>
>>788088
the shemagh belt carry looks slick as fuck
>>
Two are tapping out, this Thursday's (seventh) epsiode
>>
File: Alone_S2_David_McIntyre_Bio-B.jpg (22 KB, 158x158) Image search: [Google]
Alone_S2_David_McIntyre_Bio-B.jpg
22 KB, 158x158
>>788614
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/season-2/episode-7/alone-trial-by-fire-preview
>>
Just started watching season 1, never heard of this show before.

It's fucking good!
>>
>>787918
>but enough info and genuine skills to be worth a watch
i sometimes wonder if that's true i think the amount of interesting skill show is ridiculously low and the drama is way too high, but what ticks me off most is the useless repetition of footage and narration that is more annoying than an ad block.
>>
File: nicole again.png (826 KB, 774x499) Image search: [Google]
nicole again.png
826 KB, 774x499
>>788694
>>i think the amount of interesting skill show(n)
>>is ridiculously low and the drama is way too high

It's important that you said "interesting" skill.
What "interests" a newb can bore a old scrooge.

I think of "Alone" (the title is a joke and a lie)
as a gateway drug. If it gets more people in
a mode of survival thinking --which is native
to an independent, free mindset-- then that's
a good thing.

I totally agree the show spends way too much
airtime to the contestants' personal dramas.
>>
File: 2 will leave.jpg (68 KB, 947x693) Image search: [Google]
2 will leave.jpg
68 KB, 947x693
>>788614
>>788616

If one of them is Larry, I swear I'll find a way
to burn the whole %^@#**& place down.
>>
>>773388
Bitch you wouldn't be able to last as long. Fucking keyboard warrior.
>>
>>774811
do the producers just hate nature?
do they find survival and bush skills boring?
fuck them then i won't watch this shit anymore!
>>
>>775090
if a cougar came to my tent at night it would be snuggle time.
cats can say all the nasty things they want i can sleep with them.
>>
File: cougar safety.jpg (320 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cougar safety.jpg
320 KB, 640x480
>>789664
>>
I think I'm close to fn done with this show.
>>
>>790013
Me too. For the first time I actually checked the bar to see how long this will take. Did never happen in season 1.
>>
>>772535
halfway through episode 7, no spoilers but man the reasons why people are tapping out are fucking retarded. Call me an autist but a month alone in the woods wouldn't be so bad in terms of not having to talk and interact with people. The only reasons you should leave are for injury and starvation, otherwise everyone back home, the people you're pining for, will call you a pussy
>>
>>790483
I sort of knew Mike's days were numbered
when he spoke in depth about heartache. He
certainly seemed to have the bushcraft skills to
keep on going, but like Mitch from Season 1, it
was intense emotion for a specific loved one
that made him decide to tap out... when he
could have kept on going.

Randy impressed me with his comeback from
losing a ferro rod, and like Mike he kept busy
with projects to improve his campsite. In
contrast to Mike however, it was a general
loneliness and longing for generic human
companionship that got to him.. which sort of
recalls Lucas from the first season.

We're all wired differently from each other, and
maybe even differently from how we claim we
are, online or otherwise. That's what the show
is about. I guess.
>>
>>790013
>>790180

Haha...
Larry's blundering perseverance isn't enough
to keep you (however-reluctantly) tuned in?

If Larry's tapping out (he still hasn't had that
sobbing meltdown from the preview), and if Jose
is tapping out (perhaps due to that maritime
mishap in the teasers), that leaves Dave, Justin
and Nicole.

Justin's burning calories unnecessarily towards
an injury-prone commemorative climb, when he
should be devoting his energy to relocating his
camp. I get that fellow veterans are his motivator, but come on...

David's got food problems, period.
The teaser has his gill nets are getting rekt, too.

That means Nicole, who got the best gift, errr ...
"randomly selected location" from the start,
is still the odds-on pick to have won this thing.
>>
>>790483
i think you can spend more time alone if you are physically comfortable.
when you are cold wet and hungry your mind does not entertain you and you miss company "misery loves company" right?

the whining seems retarded to me too, but deny a man a days sleep and food he will get pretty emotional.
>>
Why did Mike tap out in the middle (apparently) of scouting out a new campsite? Or, why scout out a new campsite if he was close to tapping out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzmY44kcNw
>>
>Barbara

I fucking KNEW IT.
>>
>>790595
Thanks for spoiling. I hope you chokes on a bears cock.
>>
>>790941
yup that was obvious from the get go.
a pity because he is exactly the type of guy i like watching doing stuff. him and jose and justin is fun to watch too he has good ideas these three in one camp would build factories and a telecom station on week 3.
>>
Jose seems like a chill guy. Also, seems like he's cool being on his own.

Falling out of his canoe won't be a big deal for him.
>>
>>791005
Oh fuck off. If you can't keep up with the episode don't check these threads you faggot.
>>
File: blow this whole place up.jpg (11 KB, 262x202) Image search: [Google]
blow this whole place up.jpg
11 KB, 262x202
>>791005
My apologies, but...

I posted that WELL AFTER the fucking episode aired, and after >>790519 had already recapped the episode's tapouts.

Cheer up, man.
At least haven't lost Larry yet!
>>
>>791287
*we*
fucking keyboard...
>>
>>777414
update
>R̶a̶n̶d̶y̶ ̶-̶ ̶c̶r̶u̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶e̶l̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶k̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶i̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶u̶m̶
>M̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶-̶ ̶?̶?̶?̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶w̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶L̶e̶n̶o̶r̶e̶?̶
>David - the siren call of KFC
>Justin - burning himself up unnecessarily and being unable to recuperate while looking for a new spot
>Larry - finds soothing inner peace and a reason to continue his painful sisyphean existence
>Jose - ??? freak boating accident?
>Nicole - other thread has this right, gifted a sweet spot by the show and basically just has to chillax
>>
>>791427

see
>>778091
>>778260
>>778301
>>786492
>>790525

Both threads seem to harbor a suspicion that Nicole has been unfairly favored by the show's production team...

There's the disgusting precedent of the producers having favored Sam with a ridiculous neighborhood location in season 1, to feed such suspicions.

>>778252
>>778256
>>778257
>>778260
>>
>>791046
>>Jose seems like a chill guy
>>Falling out of his canoe

That would chill anyone.
*ba dum tssshhh*
>>
>>790483
You're an autist
>>
>>776916
You make it sound like living in the woods for some weeks is hell. I think they need to think about the trips an opportunity for self discovery and becoming awaure of yourself. Its a mental game, food is overrated.
>>
I don't give a fuck about reality shows but why is this on the History Channel?
>>
>>792655
>>History Channel

You mean the "Was Hitler an Alien?" channel.
Shoot, at this point it's whatever sells, and this
show does sell.
>>
>>792844

This is more ahistorical than that shitty viking soap opera.
>>
>>793018
There's still a difference between content
unrelated to history, and content that
deliberately ignores and/or distorts history,
the way "Vikings" does :^)

Then again, if Larry gets frustrated enough,
"Alone" may set the stage for history-making
destruction of vast geographical features.
>>
Finally got around to watching episode 7
This show got really lame at some point. Its not about people doing bushcraft/wilderness stuff alone on an island, its "how much whinging about loneliness can we fit into 40 minutes."
I mean, I get it. The only reason the average normie is going to watch the show is for the human element, but its just become pathetic at this point.
Did they specifically coach all the contestants in overemotional twatspeak or are they just naturals?
I'm thinking if Larry drops out I drop the show.
>>
>>794841
I expect the show to talk less about being alone and more about skills in the later episodes. Now all those who can't handle the loneliness are quitting and we'll stay with real contestants like Larry, Jose and Nicole.
>>
Jesus, watching Nicole just makes me cringe so hard now.

Everyone else is starving and she's just using the same spot since day 1 and getting fish daily with no effort. Random location my ass.
>>
>>795421
Yeah fuck it. David is practically killing is his body body or his kids and she's just throwing fish away. All the guys will go home with new perspectives about hunger and whatnot and she'll just have the same mindset over again.
>>
>>795434
Oh no, it's going to be even worse.

She'll think that she had it just as hard as everyone else, and that she was actually the 'strongest' because she managed to stay as long as she did.
>>
>>793713
>history
the fuck are you talking about it's made based on sagas
that's like saying disneys cinderella distorts history
>>
>>795421
has she had a single problem or setback at all?

she sees the bears a lot but they dont seem to give a single shit about her
>>
>>775198
kek'ed hard
>>786980
"rage monster" why would someone who is mentally unstable put them self in isolation
>>
>>795473
Fuck off troll and let the adults continue the conversation.
>>
>>795434
>>795435
>>795778

Based on what's been shown onscreen thus
far, if any contestants were unfairly favored
by the show's producers, as Sam and Lucas
seem to have been last season), they were
Nicole, Mary Kate, and Jose, in that order:
tons of reasonably flat and particularly-clear
land for camp-siting.

Aside from Desmond, Larry (and it turns out,
Justin), none of this season's participants
seem to have been in as much trouble,
geographically-speaking, as the first season's:
everyone back then, except the aforementioned Sam and Lucas had to work hard just to find a reliable source of fresh water, and the issues
with dangerous wildlife and harsh weather were
a lot more pervasive than in this season.

I continue to think Nicole will get the win.
She has just too much geographic advantage.

Justin and Jose have motivations directly in
contradiction with "survival", and are injuries
or accidents waiting to happen.

David nurses no such contradiction, but his
lack of skill in gill-netting is a critical disability.

Larry?
I posted earlier that with his new campsite, he
is no longer as-distracted with geographic
hardships, and is freer to be confronted with
loneliness... and Jesus save us, but all of the
critical errors he keeps making (and surviving,
yes)...

I want Larry or David to win the 500,000, but
unless someone pulls an Alan and upsets
the producers' plans, and/or Nicole pulls a
Lucas (again surprising the producers), she
has this in the bag.
>>
>>796145
you mad cause i'm right i get it it's embarrassing for you to make that mistake.
confusing folklore with history that is.
>>
>>772535
Huge amount of respect gained for Justin after ep 8.I don't think he cares about winning this show, really enjoyed seeing him happy

it was also funny how they edited the show so that after Justin almost broke down from emotion and exhaustion you just see Nicole smiling and chilling in here ez mode campsite
>>
>>796543
I really want the bears to start giving her trouble but I don't think they give one shit about her since that river is so stocked with salmon

It's heartbreaking to watch everyone else struggle with food and shitty sites and she's just grabbing fish out of the river and cooking it right in her comfy site without a care in the world
>>
File: 1459480761893.jpg (127 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1459480761893.jpg
127 KB, 960x640
>>796536
Err... I'm the one you originally responded to.
Not the one you're responding to now (I tend
to try to format my posts like newscolumns)

What preceded our modern notion of "history",
if not lore?

There are significant differences between the
modern discipline of history and a largely-oral
transmission of lore, but the attempt to preserve
(and above all, to present) a version of the past
remains.

That is the essence of history: to present what
(allegedly) happened in the past.

"Vikings" tries to do this, among other things.
"Alone" does not.

Cheers. :^)
>>
>>796553
>I really want the bears to start giving her trouble

No, you don't. We shouldn't wish potential harm
on any of the show's participants, except maybe
Larry...

...because it would be awesome to see him go
ape-shit and annihilate every living organism in
a 75 mi. radius.

That would be glorious, my friend.
Simply glorious.
>>
>>796518
>David or Larry winning

I can get behind that. They seem the ones who would get the most happiness from it unlike Jose who already has a comfy life or Nicole who has a Phd.
>>
>>796558
Meh, Larry isn't a tough guy anymore in my eyes. He got beaten by a mouse. Larry would have captured it after a day.
>>
File: holy warrior kneeling.jpg (39 KB, 383x438) Image search: [Google]
holy warrior kneeling.jpg
39 KB, 383x438
>>796580
Blasphemer!

Larry's mercy is but a sign of his greatness
as God's anointed: the prosecutor of Most
Holy Destruction upon this corrupted earth.

Repent, all ye doubters!
>>
>>796630
jokes aside, if you go to his yt channel he talks about episode 7 where he talks about his new location which is great except he doesn't catch fish

LARRY BTFO
NEXT ONE TO GO HOME
>>
File: 1434581888311.jpg (129 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
1434581888311.jpg
129 KB, 800x568
>>772549
>>777787
>>789913

Friendly reminder that I knew that Nicole won the show right from the beginning, it was so obvious yet some of you choose to ignore it.
>>
>>797070

I'd counter ^that with the outcome of S1, where production seemed to have unfairly favored Sam (and far moreso than they seem to have rigged it for Nicole this S2), but were forced to recognize Alan for the win.

Yes, Nicole is tipped to win, but who can be this Season's Alan?

I don't think Jose has his priorities straight, and will go the way of Lucas and more recently, of Mike.

Justin and, more particularly, David and Larry are all suffering from significant caloric deficits.
>>
>>796543
I lost respect for Justin this episode
He's already been burning calories for no reason by working out, then his shelter floods and instead of spending calories to fix it he goes on a pointless climb.
I'm a vet and I understand what he's trying to do, but the name of the game is survival. It's going to get cold soon and he won't have the reserves to deal with it
>>
>>797178
>I don't think Jose has his priorities straight
i think he knows what he needs for long term survival and how little time he has all the others don't seem to realize this.
>>
File: 1456024318711.png (260 KB, 423x680) Image search: [Google]
1456024318711.png
260 KB, 423x680
Oh man, latest episode.

Really made me happy, oh yeah.

Feel a bit bad for Justin, but he did well!
>>
>>800577
I was rooting for Justin, he did pretty good just could not cope with the boredom.

Jose's boat looks nice senpai

>the entire episode and no video of Nicole
Pretty sure she won the show.
>>
>>799214

My comment had nothing to do with long-term planning: it's not as much what he's doing, as HOW he's going doing some of it:

His boat is far more time- and calorie-intensive than it needs to be, and on a usefulness scale ranks below Lucas' and Mike's far less-refined attempts.
>>
File: 1406247151373.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1406247151373.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>801134
>Pretty sure she won the show.

The fact that she wasn't shown this time around
can suggest they're saving up enough airtime
NEXT episode for her breakdown and exit...

...but no, she (and to a much lesser extent,
Jose) have gotten really sweet deals on real
estate, and she's the last woman-stronk left
on the show.

Really happy for David and Larry...
and at this point, to me, David is the dark horse
to front-runner Nicole, when it comes to winning
the 500k.

I'll grant that Larry may leave the most lasting
impact on the season AND the environment...
whatever is left of the latter after Larry is done
with it.
>>
Ive been watching dual survival trying to get my outdoor show fix

it doesn't compare to alone

any recommendations for other shows?
>>
>>801544
dude your wishful thinking will not help you when her wins the show.
>>
>>801558
Anon, try re-reading what you're reacting to.
>but no

>>801553
>>it doesn't compare to alone

Right now, nothing does, which is sad, given how much is contrived/dishonest in "Alone".
>>
>>801538
>>801134
Jose's boat is definitely way more complex than it needs to be. I think in the back of his mind, since his job is a survival coach, he's using it to advertise his skills on TV. As a way of saying, I can build a nice looking boat from scratch while these other (((experts))) build trash rafts.
>>
>>772535
Loved that they show David crab fishing this episode, finally a new hunting technique showcased instead of just Gill Nets and Trout Lines.
>>
Just finished watching ep2 .

>Muh negro afraid and incapable of being /out/ for a half day

>Muh strong womyn with zero skills

>Muh millennial carelessly losing most valuable tool

Are there any stereotypes that ain't true?
>>
>>802117
>Are there any stereotypes that ain't true?

Le "harsh survival situation" isn't stereotypically
"harsh" at Nicole's location.

Granted, it's not as shamefully fake as Sam's
from Season1, but it's replete with easy food,
fresh water, flat/clear and easy-walking terrain,
and "predators" that do not threaten.

Jose has almost as good a deal, but is at least
showcasing survival/thrival skills for the viewer
to learn from, with the exception IMO of that
ridiculously-overbuilt, and yet under-performing
kayak (see prior posts).

What does Nicole do?
Mostly cleaning salmon or letting them go.
>>
File: DAVEFISH.jpg (104 KB, 962x594) Image search: [Google]
DAVEFISH.jpg
104 KB, 962x594
>>802116
So far, the show has featured: gill netting, trot lining, polefishing, handlining and (S1 Alan's) water-bottle fish traps (did I miss anything?).
>>
>>802113
>he's using it to advertise his skills on TV

Then Jose's priorities are badly skewed, especially since he keeps saying he's under time pressure to finish the damned thing.

Worse still, the damned thing is fuckton less seaworthy than what Lucas built last season.
>>
>>801538
both of them junkers had huge problems with tides, maybe joses can fare better it is better designed and more streamlined. but for a sea kayak he really should have added stabilizer(s). i would have.
>>
>>802306
>What does Nicole do?
>Mostly cleaning salmon or letting them go.
and talking to imaginary bears in her awful shrilling voice
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.