[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a cabin on Vancouver Island
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: preon.jpg (141 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
preon.jpg
141 KB, 800x400
I'm thinking of building a cabin in a semi-remote part of Vancouver Island. I only have an AWD vehicle so I imagine I will have to use forest service roads and fill in a couple deactivated sections to find a semi-isolated area.

I've been treeplanting for a decade and am an avid hiker. I know my limits, and have some foraging and preserving skills also. I intend to bring plenty of food, water, fire starters and backups, cell phone, compass, maps, and all that shit.

I'm just wondering if this is beyond retarded. I know that if the cabin is found by a govt worker it will most likely be torched and I'll be fined.

Let me know what you think. I can't be bothered to pay 600 dollars to rent a room with strangers. Also buying property in BC is incredibly expensive, especially somewhere you'd want to live.
>>
If it's a permanent living thing instead of a pet project, then you're technically squatting and you'll be found out eventually.

You should build a semi-subterranean hobbit home with a living roof and camouflage it.

I wish you best of luck. Maybe you can find a way to just buy a small parcel from your local land management
>>
Lets say you are making a 20x20 cabin.
Lets say you can take down 1 tree a hour which is realistic (that includes delimbing it)
1 hour x 50 logs = 50 hours, Debarking and moving the logs = 1 hour ea (thats insanely fast closer to 1/1/2 hour each) so 100 hours
Per notch 30 minutes (if you know what your doing)
150 hours just to knotch your logs and have them there
roof 50 hours and foundation 20 hours for a basic gravel one.
220 hours total at the moment, windows, doors, chimney etc 30 hours 250 hours. and all you have is a basic house. 8 hours/ per day 31.25 days min of solid work. Thats pretty damn unrealistic unless you are planning on living there.
>>
Edit: Vancouver Island although has alot of wildlife doesn't have alot of useful wildlife. You'd be better off in the Northern Yukon/NWT, just buy a trapline and live on that.
>>
>>800267
Are you going MGTOW?
>>
>>800278
I do plan on living there. Ill have 10K saved plus ill be on EI for a few months.

This will be a tiny cabin. More like 4m by 4m. Enough for a bed, table, and possibly woodstove eventually. I'll be doing my cooking outside.

I intend on fishing until I can clear some space for a little garden.

As for timber Ill be using discarded wood from cutblocks. You'd be damned surprised how much good quality wood is left behind. Also itll be preseasoned and precut. I have all the equipment needed to debark and notch the wood. I'm just looking for ways this could go wrong easily.

Ill probably be found out, but whatever really. It'll make for good stories in the least.

>>800285
Not exactly, on Van Isle. there are tons of hippie girls who would love to shack up with a guy like me oddly enough. I dont really want some washed out hippie retard gf anyways though. I've noticed I'm happier not jerking it/having a gf anyways.
>>
>>800293
Okay so when you are found you will go to jail for 10+ years for illegal hunting etc. You will need a wood stove and on top of that you will be found within a couple of months. a 12 foot by 12 foot cabin isn't big enough trust me. I've lived in a room that was 13 by 13. The wood you will be grabbing isn't enough so you will have to cut more wood. To my point your stupid.
>>
>>800267
>especially somewhere you'd want to live.
Like the woods on Vancouver Island?
>>
>>800296
Illegal hunting?

Why couldn't I just hunt legally boyo? Also I'm not sure if you know how woodstoves work. It isn't a smokestack.

If you've seen ONE slashpile you'd know there is enough wood there for a small wooden box.

I'm looking for feedback beyond your experience of living in a small room.

>>800300
Yeah, essentially. Buying crownland is very difficult from what I hear.
>>
I think the problem that's going to break this scheme is that you need seasoned timber for log cabins. Otherwise your logs are going to warp something awful once they've been shaped.

Ideally you'd harvest your timbers in the autumn when the sap has gone to the roots, then strip the bark, paint the cut ends, and stack them off the ground (use sacrificial short ends perpendicular to the rest of the stack).

Takes a year or more to properly season timbers, and leaving a bigass stack of illegally logged timbers out in the woods for a year is just not going to work. Either the government will find them and fine you, or someone will steal them.
>>
File: 2-EarthenFeature_JosephOR2.jpg (581 KB, 1348x1010) Image search: [Google]
2-EarthenFeature_JosephOR2.jpg
581 KB, 1348x1010
build into a hill or something

if you're trying to be incognito why not go the whole 9 yards
>>
>>800414
That seems more difficult, also waaaay cooler, but more difficult.

>>800375

I was thinking of using slashpile wood. It's essentially seasoned already as they tend to not burn slash wood as much these days.
>>
>>800462
>slashpile wood.
twigs?
>>
>>800462
>slashpile wood
Then abandon the idea of a traditional log cabin like in your OP picture, and shoot for a daub-and-wattle structure instead. See the Primitive Technology channel on Youtube for details.
>>
File: bendertent.jpg (234 KB, 1000x762) Image search: [Google]
bendertent.jpg
234 KB, 1000x762
>>800267
Don't build a cabin. If you're almost fully done on the cabin and some ranger finds it and orders you to take it down, then the hard work is wasted.

Don't even build a wattle and daub structure like >>800804 suggested. It's easier to build, but for wattle and daub you need cowshit, straw, some clay but mostly mud. And it takes a lot of work.
What i suggest you make is a gypsy or bender tent. It's made using curved sticks and a large plastic tarp. If you need insulation or camoflage, just pile a shitload of brush and leaves and logs onto it to make sure it stays on (pile them over the tarp). Then it is like a bender tent with a wikkiup modification.

You can get a stove in there as well, and all you need for a floor if you need it is just a few pallets and mdf or plywood. A lot easier to make than a log cabin or wattle and daub structure.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.