[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
coyotes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: night_eyes_1.jpg (22 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
night_eyes_1.jpg
22 KB, 667x500
so I just went on my first real overnight, not like the ones before where I can leave easily if I need to. During the night I had Coyotes and even a feral dog or something surround my camp and make a lot of noise. I like this spot I camped at and would like to go back but these coyotes literally kept me awake most of the night. what do I do to make them go away. the first time I built a fire from ready materials because they were really close. but I ran out of wood halfway through the night and they ended coming back multiple time. do I need to pee everywhere to mark my territory, also do coyotes bark, because I had a something literally bark at me for 10 minutes, it was to dark to see it. I don't think dogs chill in forests. also does sleeping near a pond increase the number of mosquito's because they were everywhere last night.
>>
>>800104
gather your firewood during daylight. activity and fire keep coyotes away. pissing attracts coyotes and bears, only retards and alcoholics seem to think their babysitter's grandmother was right when she told them to piss everywhere to ward-off wild animals. coyotes howl all night and won't come near you. you could have gathered wood after dark and they wouldn't bother you. being near water increases the number of mosquitoes. nobody here can tell you anything about a dog barking at you in the woods.
>>
I wouldn't worry about coyotes too much. Attacks are really uncommon. Don't take small children camping there. You should be more afraid of deer or little things. Like bees, ticks n shit. If you want piece of mind get a gun. You don't really need it, but if it makes you feel better. If you can't get or take a gun , firecrackers will scare em off. Mace is nice to have too. Secure your food properly.

Really it sounds like you're just freaking out because it was you first time camping. Consider it experience and learn from it. Next time gather more firewood and get a better flashlight. Get whiskeyed up and shot bottle rockets at em.

>do I need to pee everywhere
Ha! No. I mean, you can if you want, but they don't really care. They've learn that people leave food laying out and if they wait for you to go to bed, they can slip in a get it.

>do coyotes bark
Kinda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcN5kBXAiw

>mosquitoes
It's less the pond and more stagnate air. Less breeze = more mosquitoes.
Use off, keep your fire going, and if you can, tiki torches.
>>
>>800131
Ponds actually can mean more mosquitoes if it's standing water, as those are their breeding grounds. But yeah less breeze usually means more mosquitoes. Also! You can try not breathing, as mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 you breathe out.
>>
>>800131
dang to bad there isn't any good firewood around just prickly bushes and high grass. but i should be fine then if the coyotes aren't likely to attack, if anything i have a knife and a strong flashlight. I'll also keep my food sealed and hung up so they cant get it in my sleep.
>>
>>800134
ok i'll hold my breath the whole time
>>
>>800153
Where are you? If there isn't any firewood and the place is infested with mosquitoes, try somewhere else. I promise you, there are better places.
>>
>>800186
well I probably wont be going to that area anymore since it's far there is a feral dog in the forest, that keeps barking and running around. it followed me out in the morning, I didn't see it but I heard it's barking get closer and closer to me on my way out.
>>
>>800129
>pissing attracts coyotes and bears
[citation needed]
>>
>>800227
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/5-ways-to-attract-bears6.htm

try google soemtime dumbass.
>>
>>800225

Quit being a Nancy boy. Shoot the dog, rape it's carcass and then spitroast it
>>
File: geo_geeps.png (23 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geo_geeps.png
23 KB, 261x195
>>800248
>rape it's carcass and then spitroast it
but that's redundant anon
>>
>>800153
This sounds like a terrible place to camp.
>>
>>800237
>howstuffworks
>by two jewish women who have never be camping in their lives

That's not a good source. Nothing google brings up is. There's no evidence one way or the other. They probably don't care about your piss and are much more interested in the food you're carrying.
>>
>>800256
other then the mosquito's it was a great spot. I managed to find enough wood to make my noodles. also since it was on a hill it blocked any animal from sneaking up on me.
>>
>>800104
Coyotes are like the 2nd most skittish wild animal I know personally. 2nd only to bobcats. Just make a lot of noise. A few small firecrackers are great for that. Just the kind you light and drop "CRACK!"

Coyotes don't bark like that, it was probably just a dog, which have all sorts of different stupid personalities, one is to bark FOREVER. Coyote packs make one hell of a noise as a group with their yips and howls. It is unmistakable.
>>
>>800249
>dick long enough to spitroast a dog carcass
plz be my bf geeps anon
>>
File: Figure1RevisedFeb2013Version2.jpg (966 KB, 3623x2995) Image search: [Google]
Figure1RevisedFeb2013Version2.jpg
966 KB, 3623x2995
Coyotes won't bother you. They'll make a ton of noise but humans are not something they're really capable of killing and they know it. They don't have the same degree of pack-hunting instincts that wolves have and coupled with their much smaller size they have a hard time taking down prey larger than they are.

Maybe you should consider re-evaluating your food and toiletry storage methods. Might help reduce, or at least redirect, the coyotes stalking around your camp.

If you're in the northeast or Canada and you're encountering coyotes, then you have a little more to be concerned about due to hybridization with wolves, but just regular coyotes aren't anything to fear.
>>
File: winnah.jpg (13 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
winnah.jpg
13 KB, 289x174
>>800261
>>800237
I bet if you're diabetic/prediabetic it might attract them, apparently there's a sweet scent/taste to diabetes piss. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

Otherwise, it might depend on the area/bear. Some bears, who live near and fear humans might avoid the smell. Others might come that way because humans sometimes present a source of easy processed food/trash. In true wilderness, I feel like it might definitely mean the bear will come your way.

This kinda sucks because I've always been a ring of piss for security kind of guy.
>>
>>800104
>being afraid of coyotes and dogs
do you sit down while you pee?
>>
>>800562
when there's 5-6 surrounding you, ya i got a bit scared, they were like 15m away from me
>>
>>800407
nice im northeast canada so i should not fuck with those coyotes
>>
>>800104
Coyote noises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gxCU_Wi58

They're harmless, unless you have chickens or something. I have them behind my house yipping all the time.
>>
File: 1456935247236.jpg (52 KB, 450x460) Image search: [Google]
1456935247236.jpg
52 KB, 450x460
Put on a high power "head strapped" flashlight for visibility and to keep your hands free, eye how many their are whip out your gun and start hunting them. That sure as fuck will scare the shit out of them (blitz charge them), and if they think your bluffing then shoot the closest one with your 40S&W and pistol whip its body and pretend like your eating it. If the others come back in dismay that your eating their capadre then blow their brains out. Take them to your local hunting extension and claim your bounty for $10 a head since most areas have open season on them and consider them a nuisance.

I sure as furk don't like it when something harasses me while I'm trying to sleep.
>>
>>800670
>most areas have open season on them
idunno about that brochinksy. in my state 'odie season is between october and march
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.