[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bear Saves Mushroom Hunter From Wolf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wolf-bear-bait-joanne-barnaby-nwt-1.3636604

>What's the best way to fend off a wolf that's stalking you? Bait it with a bear cub, of course.

>It sounds incredible, but that's exactly what Joanne Barnaby did when she got into a terrifying situation while out picking morel mushrooms near Fort Smith, N.W.T., last Friday.

>Barnaby and her friend Tammy Caudron headed out to an area burned by wildfires to spend an hour or two searching for the elusive morels. They soon became separated, leaving Barnaby alone with her loyal dog, Joey.

>Once her pail was full of mushrooms, she turned to head back toward her truck.

>"I heard this growl behind me. There was a long, tall, very, very skinny wolf. A black wolf. And his legs were spread and his hair was standing, and he was growling, and baring his teeth."

>Joey charged the animal, but the wolf stood its ground.

>"I don't think Joey expected that," Barnaby says. "I didn't want him hurt, of course, but I also knew that if the wolf got Joey, I'd be next."

>The wolf started pacing back and forth in the direction of the truck. Barnaby says it was forcing her to go farther east, away from the highway.

>"It took me a while to realize that he knew what he was doing. He was trying to wear me down. He was trying to separate Joey and I," she says.

>"I think he was weak. He didn't look healthy. He looked old to me ... I don't think he wanted to take us both on."

>What followed was a 12-hour hunt. The wolf continued to pursue Barnaby and Joey, as they were pushed farther from her truck.
>>
>>795655
>"He was dogged. He was just determined," Barnaby says. "I was in trouble."

>Barnaby said she became dehydrated, her calves and thighs were aching, and there was another vicious attacker that was testing her mental strength.

>"I was going crazy with mosquitoes. There were zillions of mosquitoes."

>At about 4:30 a.m., Barnaby heard a loud noise. She quickly recognized it as a mother bear. Listening closely, trying to drown out the buzz of mosquitoes, sure enough she heard a cub respond from far away in the distance. The two bears had been separated.

>"I realized that there was a chance that the mother bear would tackle the wolf if she felt that the wolf was a threat," Barnaby explains.

>"So I made the choice of walking towards the cub."

>It worked. After walking about 20 minutes, Barnaby's dangerous plan paid off.

>"I heard this big crashing behind me and realized that the mama bear had attacked the wolf, or maybe the other way around, I don't know, but they were fighting and I could hear the wolf yelping and I could hear the mama bear growling and I could hear all this crashing and I just took off!"
>>
>>795659
>Finally free of the wolf, Barnaby and Joey both "perked right up" when they saw a lake.

>"I had brought one can of beer with me. Silly choice," she laughs. "That little can of beer ended up saving my life."

>She drank can after can of water and finally took a break.

>"I started praying to not let the mosquitos drive me insane. Then I just started talking to people I love, some of whom are still with us, some of whom have passed.

>"As I talked to them and told them how much I loved them," Barnaby said, her voice breaking, "everything they mean to me, it energized me, and I was determined to see everybody again.

>"All night I had been making decisions of sorts, but this one was a decision to live and it was really powerful."

>When the pair finally climbed onto the highway Saturday morning, Barnaby saw vehicles parked on the road about a kilometre away.

>"I was like, 'OK, we're good. We're really good.'"

>A police truck, carrying a local RCMP officer and a Parks Canada worker, drove to Barnaby and Joey.

>"They both jumped out of the truck and we had big hugs, and of course they were full of questions, but they didn't have any bug spray for me! I couldn't believe it!" she laughs.

>Barnaby is still kicking herself for not bringing her gun into the bush, calling it a "huge mistake."

>"Don't do what I did. Don't go without your gun," she says. "Anything can happen.

>"If I had had that gun, it would've been a very short situation."
>>
More

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/17/a-starving-wolf-stalked-a-woman-and-her-dog-for-12-hours-then-along-came-a-bear/
>>
Thanks OP that's a hell of a story.
>>
>be canuck lesbian
>get drunk innawoods
>wander off from partner
>pass out under tree
>make up heap big bullshit story and smear face with mud
>call news have big laugh
>>
>>795655
>Joey charged the animal, but the wolf stood its ground.

i call bullshit on a domestic dog charging a wolf.
>>
>>796306
Depends what breed desu
>>
>>795772
This. Widely considered a fabrication.
>>
>>796306
my dogs pretty dumb and would probably try to charge a pack of lions to 'eat' them all, he's a black lab.

also the story seems bullshit, her dog followed her for HOURS with a wolf close behind, any domestic dog off a leash would of either charged the wolf, or ran off on its own..

also wolves are scared of sticks [spear like things] a shovel handle works fine in terms of size and length, they won't charge as long as you have one in a defensive position, low to the ground. they think they're spears and have some sort of weird fear of humans with long sticks. I've taken on a pack of wild street dogs with a single broom handle. its actually kinda funny.
>>
>>797663
> ive taken on
> a pack of wild dog
> with a single broom handle

That's a rather sweeping statement.
>>
>>797762
dont make light of his... brush with death
>>
Bitch should have had a gun.
>>
>>797762
Yeah. I work for animal control. Kys.

And what do you do for society besides consuming unhealthy amounts of mountain dew and cheese puffs? Faggot.
>>
>that little can of beer saved my life
>pockets loaded with morel mushrooms

Why do we let women out again?
>>
>>795655
I would've just fought the fucking thing. It would've been two on one, and she even said it looked old and frail.
>>
>>797832
woosh
>>
>>797832
Someone is a little bristled. Why don't you brush that chip off your shoulder?
>>
>>797776
Kekkled

>>797846
Like if she didn't have a container she would have just stared at the water not knowing what to do
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.