[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visitors not following the rules.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
How do you handle people that visit state or national parks and don't follow the rules?

ie, not paying attention to the signs or just being general idiots
>going off trail and falling into boiling hot water and dying in yellow stone
>taking photos up close of fauna and getting attacked
>walking out onto cliffs and either falling or accelerating erosion

Should I be yelling at or confront the people or silently let them get away with it and notify the park Rangers?
>>
>>791501
take pictures.
give pics to rangers.

I can tell you as an outdoors criminal, it's not really safe to confront people that are breaking the rules. They probably know they're doing wrong and aren't going to appreciate you telling them about it.
>>
>>791501
In the past I've always silently let people do their thing leaving it for rangers or otherwise. But that changed this year when a group of 12 off-road RV vehicles drove off the road to park in an alpine area (when they had recently put in a carpark no more than 30m from where they were pulling off the road). Their support vehicle with a trailer also pulled off and drove about 40m off the road into the vegetation before turning back. Then they get out of the car with their dogs and yell "AHHH THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, ISNT IT?"

Yeah, its beautiful mostly because of conservation efforts to preserve intact vegetation and expensive taxpayer funded re-vegetation and weed removal programs that have and try to reverse problems caused by bogan hicks driving off road. fucking idiots, I tell you what, park in the fucking designated areas and obey the signs that clearly say "DO NOT DRIVE OFF THE ROAD"
>>
Today I yelled at a group did six Asian tourists that went past the DONOTCLIMB FALLING AND EROSION RISK signs to take fucking selfies. I yelled at them to get the fuck off the weak ground and they proceeded to Chinese chimp out at me threatening to fight me but eventually left after I called the Rangers. Fucking people. I was having such a nice day too until those fuckers decided to be retards. I probably could have been more calm in confronting them but fuck their idiocy. I think the reason I didn't get shanked was the crowd of eight people that gathered behind me in agreement
>>
>>791501
Dont be a fucking bitch

Unless they are harming something other then themselves
>>
>>791501
Yosemite 2 years ago
Porcupine Flat Campground up on Tioga road
230 am, fall Tioga road will be closed in a week or two
4 vans show up, music pumping, unload about 8 people per van, bunch of dogs, tons of kids
Fire up a generator, set up a TV start a DVD of Lion King, microwave set up on food lockers, set up some floodlights
Campground is pretty sparsely filled, this late in the year, it is a self serve area no ranger on duty
Hear a chainsaw fire up, me and two buddies are out of tents along with a couple near us, everyone has mouths open
Guy and his friends start cutting down trees, another guy starts up what they are downing and the start a huge bonfire
This is a National Park
Lots of booze is flowing, smashing empties, guy digs a trench for garbage and kids are squatting and shitting in it, the campground has bathrooms
Cell reception is bad so I head out for Tiago Road to try and get a signal, buddies stay, while I am on the phone with the ranger station in the valley, they start whooping it up and shooting
Rangers finally get there, buddies are packing up, so are a few others
Rangers come and tell us, there is a language barrier and a cultural one, too late to sort it out, they will be back in the morning, we split, slept in the car outside the park, headed to Hetch Hetchy in the morning
Now we only backpack in, no more car camping
>>
>>791573
Jesus humans are vile creatures.
>>
>>791519

Asians are seriously the worst.

What is it about National Parks that draw Asians in such great numbers? I remember at Grand Canyon, my family were like the only white people there.
>>
>>791573
This seems a little bit too rediculous to believe.

>>791506
Depends on the situation. Some people don't know certain rules that might be exclusive to the park they are in. IE, I informed a group that was planning to have a fire at sub alpine lake that fires are banned up there because of how scarce the trees are. They didn't know this thus didn't have their fire. Another park didn't allow dogs because it's a nature reserve full of bears. Let a few hikers know on my way down that this rule is strictly enforced and the rangers will give them a ticket. They thought about it but they carried on up the hike. Ranger was chillen at the top while I was going down so I'm sure they will enjoy wasting their time going all the way up those switchbacks only to be told to turn around.

As long as you know and understand why those rules are in place then it should be fairly easy to inform others who might be breaking the rules. If there's rules set up that make no fuckin sense and people still break them then I hold that onto the onus of whoever wishes to break the rules.
>>
>>791590
Honestly, though it's mostly the Chinese specifically. It's only recently that they've started to make enough money to go on vacations out of the country, but because they don't have a lot of experience with how to behave in other countries/cultures as tourists, they act like shits.
>>
>>791501
"Park is not liable for any visitors not following posted directions" boom done, like nature take its course
>>
>>791604
I don't see it as liability. I see it as some one is going to fuck it up for the rest of us.
>>
I've yelled at people before for doing stupid shit, they usually say "sorry" and then leave.
>>
>>791604
If the fatality rate for doing stupid shit was 50-100%, I'd be up for that. Unfortunately, most stupid fucks will survive, while still eroding cliffs and throwing trash everywhere.
>>
>>791501
Take photos and report them to the park rangers.

>>791593
>Depends on the situation.

The situation is always, "Take photos and report them to the park rangers." Believe it or not the park rangers have the ability to inform people about park rules and regulations and make competent decisions like any other human being.
>>
>>791501
If they talk about it on 4chin I report their post and hope the cybercrime unit sorts it out.
>>
Park rules are stupid so don't follow them. Besides, we live in a lawless society. Only cucks follow rules when park rangers destroy the environment with gas guzzling SUVs and huge roads and parking lots.
>>
>>791753
What shitty state do you live in?
>>
>>791573
>using green wood for a bonfire

Summefags used to be better than this.
>>
File: CVNP Brandywine Falls.jpg (239 KB, 736x489) Image search: [Google]
CVNP Brandywine Falls.jpg
239 KB, 736x489
>>791590
Yeah it's baffling. Like, I live near Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio. It's seriously nothing special, it's like a slightly larger county metropark, possibly the worst National Park in the country. And yet, even here you find groups of Chinese tourists taking photos of the waterfall. Like, why would you travel to the opposite side of the world to see a mediocre waterfall near a river that is famous for being so polluted that it caught on fire?
>>
>>792267
Because the earn 6 dollars a day so they can't go to the good parks, but they still wanna go somewhere.

How cares if they choose to go to a shit-ass park, it just means they can't do much ecological damage and they bring in foreign money.
>>
>>791501
Piss
>>
>>792267
I'd rather they go to the shit parks then the good ones. Promote the fuck out of those shitty parks and keep the gems hidden before they die taking selfies in front of them!
>>
>>791590

National/state parks are cheap compared to most other family activities (i.e. theme park), so naturally they're popular spots for trailer trash and penny-pinching asian/indian people.
>>
>>791573
>there is a language barrier and a cultural one
Let me guess, Mexicans?

How the fuck it haven't been decided that English is the national language of the US and started kicking out anyone that refuses to learn if beyond me.
>>
>>792546
Most of the US was bought from France and Mexico, you chucklefuck
>>
>>791590
When I visited the Grand Canyon there was nothing but white people there, lots of confused Germans too, lemme just climb down the canyon with no water. Also a group or Amish people, never expected to see them there.
>>
>>791501
if they're not going to die from it, notify the authorities (I don't suppose they'd allow people using radios to transmit on their channels, even if to report something)

if it is likely they are going to die, let nature do its selecting
>>
File: 1465841397084.png (352 KB, 593x439) Image search: [Google]
1465841397084.png
352 KB, 593x439
kill them , no tolerance .
>>
>>791501
there are different levels of what i do with people who are doing stupid shit.
>doing something dangerous
tell them "hey, you might want to watch out for ***" and move on
>littering
pick up trash and hand it to them "you dropped this"
>destroying park/wilderness
"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING"
>>
>>792581
And how many generations ago was that?
>>
File: ted.jpg (18 KB, 220x265) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
18 KB, 220x265
You know what to do.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.