[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for some hiking/approach shoes for the summer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 2966294-p-4x.jpg (482 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
2966294-p-4x.jpg
482 KB, 1920x1440
I'm looking for some hiking/approach shoes for the summer, as I'm going to be hiking a lot. I'm looking for something light and study on a budget. Are Vibram Five Fingers any good ,specifically the Trek Ascent? What else could I try?
>>
>>786699

Wtf you smoking man? I'm assuming you meant "light and sturdy". You do realize Vibram toe shoes are literally just covers for your feet? They're minimalist shoes, not sturdy at all. You'll also get laughed at by nearly everyone. They're also $120 and not anywhere near an approach shoe.

Shoes are so personal and there are millions of models. Check reviews on outdoor gear lab to get a start. I doubt you'll want real approach shoes, as they typically suck balls for hiking. Just get trail runners, as they fit the bill for a lot of people. Unless you're getting into serious mountains or carrying 100 pound backpacks.
>>
Check out scarpa zen. They're without goretex so they can breathe pretty good and they're rather comfy.
>>
>>786715
I've run gnarly, rocky trails in socal 5 days a week for a year straight in vibrams and they showed little sign of wear or tear. The only issue is they can get real funky, but as far as actually getting not usable, they're fine.

One pair did rip p much right out of the box but that was a defect and they replaced them.

They have a specific trail running version with like a fiber glass bottom. I found that to be overkill and that even their lightest models can handle rough terrain.
>>
>>786699
oh yeah man don't listen to them, this shoes are excellent for hiking, and as you can see the tips of your toes have a reinforced sturdy plastic. I am a huge faggot tho
>>
>>786832
Glass bottom shoes don't sound sturdy or like a real thing. Do you mean carbon fiber?
>>
>>787343
>wut iz fiberglass

>>786699
Get some real shoes OP
>>
Everyone will tell you fivefingers are meme tier mall ninja shoes. I have a pair of KSOs and I really enjoy them. I don't wear them in public because I get too many people asking about them. I can't speak to the capabilities of their other shoes, but I wouldn't hesitate to do some light hiking in my KSOs.
>>
Disregard the haters, I've hiked a ton in mine. Yes they can small a little after a while, just wash them. Just keep i n mind how minimal they are, it's easy to injure you toes on rocks or roots if you are not vigilant.
>>
File: 20150203_160935.jpg (450 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20150203_160935.jpg
450 KB, 2048x1152
in my experience five fingers are for comfy, not travel
>>
>>788005
Your feet have got to be freezing.
>>
File: 20150707_203426.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150707_203426.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>788020
surprisingly not, i bought them in the winter and it was cold yes, but as my feet never got wet it never became uncomfortable actually,
the main problem i have encountered is dirt, your feet become incredibly dirty, dont know why, has a shitty pic i took while drunk at a camp, but it shows it the best
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.