[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ luxuries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: carbonator.jpg (55 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
carbonator.jpg
55 KB, 736x490
I just bought a portable carbonator. Not the one in the pic, it needs proprietary mix that releases CO2 as it dissolves (like pop rocks). I got one that uses standard food grade CO2 cartridges like seltzer bottles. I just didn't post the exact one I got so I wouldn't get called a shill.

It's really small. About the size of a single can of cola. It's lightweight. Including the cost of cartridges, flavor concentrate drops and shipping, it's about 5 cents per litre of soda.

Is this justifiable? Or is making your own soda from filtered stream water inna woods crossing some sort of line where it's not real camping anymore?

I mean don't get me wrong I'mma do it either way, I love compact gadgets that let me bring amenities /out/ with me. I just want to know if it'll trigger anyone here.
>>
Who gives a shit if it triggers any of the sperglords here. The point of going out is to have fun.
>>
Most retarded shit ive ever seen
>>
>>785171

Is it? All told I can fit the carbonator, a couple CO2 cartridges which are about the size of shotgun shells, the sawyer filter and a little bottle of flavor concentrate in one pocket.

It takes up very little space and weights very little but allows me to have sweet, fizzy drinks wherever I can find a water source. That seems like a pretty cool capability to have in such a small, light package.

What would be retarded is carrying cans of soda. Carrying water in general is retarded if you plan to camp by/near a water source.
>>
>>785167
>it's about 5 cents per litre of soda
I find that a little hard to believe.

It sounds like it would be neat for car camping and shit, but it's not something I'd ever consider bringing on a serious outing.
>>
>>785174

I happen to have a source of dirt cheap food grade CO2 cartridges through a friend who works at a restaurant, which is how I got the idea to buy this thing. But even if you buy them off amazon the price only goes up to ~50 cents per litre.
>>
>>785167
looks pretty nice, but the day I can't carry a couple 2 liter bottles of coke and a fifth of Jack in my pack is the day I need to stop hiking.
>>
>>785175
>50 cents per litre.
That sounds a bit more believable for the average person. Like I said, might be neat for a more family getaway. Or shit, that thing would probably work great in fairs and shit where a cup of soda is like $8.
>>
>>785176

That actually is a substantial amount of weight though. Why carry all that when you can just carry the stuff you need to add to water to turn it into what you want? Like the concept behind dehydrated camping meals.
>>
>>785179
>Why carry all that when you can just carry the stuff you need to add to water to turn it into what you want?
because carrying more weight keeps me in better shape than you.
>>
>>785180

Haha, fair enough.
>>
>needing the fizzy jew
>not drinking water and milk from the teat of an almond.
>>
>>785184

Regular soda is the fizzy jew. Making your own for vastly cheaper defeats that scheme. Almond milk will make you grow man boobs.
>>
File: just.jpg (74 KB, 565x471) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
74 KB, 565x471
>>785171
youknownothingjonsnow.jpg
>>
>>785180
carrying more than about 1/3 of your body weight on long hikes will damage your body instead of strengthen it. there is an upper limit to how much you should carry. I imagine that clomping around 10 miles with 4 2L bottles of soda in your backpack and nothing else would leave you with no food and 4 bottles that are ready to explode from being shaken around

sweetened fizzy water is dumb, but if you really want to bring it on your own personal treks then have at it
>>
>>785204
Man, your shit is all fucked up.

4×2L bottles is 8kg.

>as if a normal healthy person cant carry 8kg of stuff for a few miles.

And man, i dont get it, are you implying that 8kg is 1/3 of op's bodyweight, that means that op is 24kg, so op is what? a surly drunken child who only takes coke and jack on his hiking trips?

Also bottles dont explode if you wait like 2 minutes before opening them regardless of how shaken up they are, theyre not kinetic batteries that store energy and then explode when you twist the top.

And who the fuck needs 8L of coke to mix with a fifth of jack, those proportions are way the fuck off...

a fifth is about 25 standards, standard is 30ml, jack and coke is usually about a 1:5 ratio jack to coke, so thats 150ml of coke per drink, lets assume he smashes through the whole bottle of jack with perfectly poured drinks, he still only needs 3750ml or 3.75L of coke, just shy of half your 8L estimate.
>>
>>787676

Water is very heavy and an unnecessary thing to carry with you when you can source it from your surrounding environment. This is why dehydrated food is popular with backpackers.
>>
>>787678
I suppose the preface there is
>when you can source it from your surrounding environment.

Just to clarify, Are you telling me not to carry water because its heavy?

Eh, im allways gear heavy so it dosnt bother me, i cut down on weight in other places and it all ballances out.

Also...

>carrying food at all
>not sourcing it from your surrounding environment
>carrying shelter
>carrying anything at all
>not sourcing everything you need from your surrounding environment
>>
File: catstanza.png (61 KB, 145x157) Image search: [Google]
catstanza.png
61 KB, 145x157
>>787684
>Just to clarify, Are you telling me not to carry water because its heavy?

Also unnecessary.

>Eh, im allways gear heavy so it dosnt bother me, i cut down on weight in other places and it all ballances out.

No matter what you say, it's still inefficient to carry any more water than necessary for immediate access, like hydration.

>carrying food at all

Certainly, it's a spectrum and where you draw the line depends on the person. For casual campers, sourcing water from a stream is much less difficult than relying on hunting for food. There are also legality issues associated with hunting, having a permit, minding what season it is, etc. that do not apply to filtering river water to hydrate meals.

>carrying shelter

Likewise, this is a pretty absurd extreme to go to based on what I said. There is a big difference in terms of the time and effort required to use filtered river water to hydrate meals as compared to the weeks or months it can take to fashion an acceptable dwelling from natural materials, as is demonstrated on the primitive technology youtube channel.

>carrying anything at all
>not sourcing everything you need from your surrounding environment

You keep getting sillier. I don't know why you have done this unless you are just stubborn and like to be difficult. I am not proposing anything so outlandish. It is already a widespread practice to eliminate water from what you carry by the use of dehydrated foods and a filter like the Sawyer Mini or Lifestraw.

As said earlier this is because the added effort involved in sourcing water from the environment, filtering it and boiling it is very small by comparison with the amount of effort required to do the other things you listed, such as building your own shelter from natural materials or hunting all of your own food.
>>
>>787704
Not that guy, I live in Southern California so the idea of sourcing water around here really limits the areas you can have expeditions in. Carrying water is good practice regardless of the topography local to you. The idea of drinking soda and hiking is inherently idiotic in my opinion seeing as it's only a source of carbs and relatively unhealthy and you ought to be milling around in nature to improve your mental and physical health.
>>
>>787706
>Carrying water is good practice regardless of the topography local to you.

If you read the whole post, you will discover I said this myself. But only a reasonable amount that's needed for stuff like drinking.

IMO, unless you're only camping for 2 days or less, you cannot bring enough water physically on your person and may as well car camp at that point.

>The idea of drinking soda and hiking is inherently idiotic in my opinion seeing as it's only a source of carbs and relatively unhealthy and you ought to be milling around in nature to improve your mental and physical health.

Oh I agree but I was disregarding that and focused more on the advantages of stuff like dehydrated food.
>>
>>785167
I'm gonna assume you're from the US. And I'm gonna say that what the actual fuck is up with yanks and their obsession with carbonating shit? You guys have carbonated fucking water there like its nothing. That is just to fucked up to me. It's like you're all addicted to soda and even when you're being healthy by drinking water you have to have that carbonated hit. You guys are weird af.
>>
>>787730

I can see how that might come across as unusual to someone from Europe. Some of your customs, like mass importing Muslim rapists and allowing them to molest your women without serious consequence, also seem very strange to us Americans.
>>
>>787704
Yeah...i can see this isnt going anywhere and ive got better shit to do than argue with a stranger on a bulgarian cheese making forum.

i am going to leave off with a few things though.

Imo Its pretty bad form not to carry water with you, and that sort of decision straight up kills dozens of people a year where i live, i guess thats the crux of my issue with what you said, it dosnt work for me yet you present it as perfectly reasonable.

>weeks or months to make a shelter
A few hours maybe, not week.

is your tent the same as a mud hut? I doubt it, one of these is a permanent/semi permanent structure and one of these is temporary, referencing that youtube fella is apples and oranges. As i said, you can make a more than servicable overnight structure in a few hours.

I dont know why you think the idea i present of carrying nothing is any "sillier" than not carrying water.

>reasonable amount
So the amount of water i carry should be a reasonable amount...reasonable by whos standard, i drink 2L of water a day 3-4 if im working hard. If i cant get that water on the trail or at my camp is it ok to carry it on me or is that too inefficient?

>he cant carry his water supply for more than 2 days

If were talking simple brutal efficiency here which at this point is literally the only argument youve made, why go hiking at all? Why expend calories full stop. why walk, or run, or do ANYTHING beyond just exist at a baseline level of living?

Anyway im out, i hope you have a good one man, ive got places to be. Its been real.
>>
File: trashslide.jpg (49 KB, 526x394) Image search: [Google]
trashslide.jpg
49 KB, 526x394
>>787746
>Imo Its pretty bad form not to carry water with you

I didn't say that. Here is what I did say:

>" it's still inefficient to carry any more water than necessary for immediate access, like hydration."

This is in fact a recommendation to carry water, but only in quantities sufficient for drinking. The amount you will need for cooking, washing up, etc. is impractical to carry unless you are car camping or it is a very short trip.

>A few hours maybe, not week.

Go watch primitive technology. It takes longer than you think.

>is your tent the same as a mud hut? I doubt it, one of these is a permanent/semi permanent structure and one of these is temporary, referencing that youtube fella is apples and oranges. As i said, you can make a more than servicable overnight structure in a few hours.

The tent will be considerably better at keeping out wind and rain.

>I dont know why you think the idea i present of carrying nothing is any "sillier" than not carrying water.

Because of the severe difference in time and effort required for one versus the other.

>So the amount of water i carry should be a reasonable amount...reasonable by whos standard, i drink 2L of water a day 3-4 if im working hard. If i cant get that water on the trail or at my camp is it ok to carry it on me or is that too inefficient?

Earlier you claimed I advocated not carrying any water at all. I do not appreciate being misrepresented. Evidently you are a dishonest, untrustworthy person. A reasonable amount is what's necessary to have reliable access to while in motion, for hydration purposes.

>If were talking simple brutal efficiency here which at this point is literally the only argument youve made, why go hiking at all?

I haven't suggested anything "brutal". I am describing the default approach which is already commonplace.

>Anyway im out, i hope you have a good one man, ive got places to be.

Yeah, in the garbage. Down the slide with you.
>>
>>785167
alright, seems to do what it is made for

But, man, going /out/ with soda... This is where I have a really hard time understanding you.
No offence but I feel your next items would be a foldable large plasma TV with a pocket sound system, powdered dorritos, inflatable sofa etc.......

Also,are you north american?
>>
>>787738
ouch
>>
Anyone else have any luxuries to share?

Anyone?
>>
File: 1450008677066.png (53 KB, 262x291) Image search: [Google]
1450008677066.png
53 KB, 262x291
>>787738
Why so butthurt about your sugar addiction? ya triggered? insecure about your weight? Want to talk about it?
>>
>>788105

I bought an electric heated sleeping bag once. Worked the same way as an electric blanket, but sleeping bag shaped. You hooked it up to a car battery using alligator clips.

It worked ok. The battery only lasts about 2 hours but that's long enough to fall asleep. Just don't expect it to still be warm when you wake up. There was also no included electronic protection against over discharging the car battery, so it died after that.
>>
>>785175
>doesn't know you can go to a smoke shop and buy boxes of 50 chargers for like 10 dollars.

Seriously bro?
>>
>>787738
>>788085
kek not even from Europe. Nice try though, I clearly hit a nerve.
>>
>>788408

Link?
>>
If it makes you happy then carry it OP. When I car camp or do short, day hikes, into camp I bring an oil lamp. I like to read by its light after a day of hiking/setting up camp. Makes me feel cozy.jpg
>>
>>787748
>Go watch primitive technology. It takes longer than you think.
because everywhere i hike, i build a tiled roof hut with floor heating rather then a simple lean-to shelter to sleep in, right?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.