[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newbie Survivalist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: Classic2.png (127 KB, 400x385) Image search: [Google]
Classic2.png
127 KB, 400x385
tl;dr: I need advice on essentials for a short survival-based wilderness hike. I want to bring as little as possible but still be able to make it out without any unfortunate incidents.

Okay /out/doorsmen, here's the deal.

I've been living in Tennessee my whole life, and I can fish and hunt as well as any other red-blooded Southerner. I am, however, relatively new to hiking. I recently moved to Chattanooga, and the Smokies have inspired me to get in touch with the mountain spirit.

I'm planning a four-day hike, not sure where yet. I don't want to be near many people (if anyone), and I want it to be a trial-run for a bunch of survival-themed trips I'd like to go on.

I need a recommendation on a good bag, and I need a small list of essential supplies. I'll be fishing and hunting for my meals, so I'd really only like to bring the smallest amount of rations needed. I know that's usually a big "don't" but it'll only be for four days.

Berate and enlighten me. You folks are usually good at that.

pic related the bag I'm lookin at
>>
>>627420
Hiking is really just walking, and you're going to get a lot of different answers as far as what a good gear-out is.

What's your distance? How often do you camp? What's your body weight? Do you stay in shape, and walk or jog in particular?

I'll type out my gear-out while you answer those.
>>
>>627420
four day? I won't give you a list of supplies and such, but I can tell you that a 35L is generally considered an overnight bag. a four day trip you need a 45-60L. I suppose some of the ultralight guys might be able to tell you how to pack for 4 days in a 35L.

give /out/ some time, and you should get some pretty good comments on here.
>>
>>627422

5'7, 180 lbs, and I am in pretty good shape considering the lack of exercise. I'm definitely making adjustments to the way I eat and I started a workout routine a few weeks ago.

I don't camp often anymore but when you live in the South, sleeping outside is a way of life. I guess I'm not wanting to go "hiking" so much as I want to walk a certain distance (maybe 10 or 15 miles), pitch a tent next to a water source, fish for some trout or the like, and dick around for four days. Probably smoke a lot of weed and read some good books.

>>627424

honestly wasn't even expecting two responses given them time it's been up.

What is your overall recommendation for a bag?
>>
Gear first, bag second.

You should never rely on catching your food, especially since you have never done something like this before. Bring at least the bare minimum ~2000 Calories per day you are out

Sleeping essentials:
Shelter (hammock or tent)
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat

Clothing:
2x wool socks
Base layer
Insulating layer
Outer shell
Hat
Gloves

Cooking stuff:
Lighter
Stove
Fuel
Cookware and utensils

Other essentials
Flashlight (+backup batteries)
Map and compass
Trowel
Food
Water bottles (enough for ~3-4L)
Water purification method (filter and chlorine/iodine)

Once you have everything above, find a pack that fits everything plus your fishing tackle and is comfortable.

If you are going out alone, buy 2 maps. Keep one for yourself, on the other mark more or less where you plan to be and give the map to someone who knows you're going out.
>>
>>627422
As a lightweight, long-distance hiker, I try to keep as light as possible.

Basics:
-Lighter, folding knife, belt (EDC)
-Dromedary, Sawyer mini filter, dirty water bag, salt.
-Hammock, GI poncho, closed cell pad, SOL escape bivy, thermalite extreme liner. (Plus a sleeping bag in cold weather)

Emergency:
-4000 calories MRE PB, first aid kit, duct tape.

Optional:
-Fishing pole, tackle, bait (if I'll get to use it)
-Solar kit, battery (if I'm documenting)
-Bike tools and spares (if I'm riding)
>>
>>627426
>>627428 continued

Keep your bag weight under 30 lbs. You're not covering a lot of distance, but even ten in a day can seem like a lot when you're not used to it, and especially when you're carrying extra weight. Otherwise, sounds like a good time. Good gear will cost you a fortune, but don't waste money on cheap shit. Every single person on /out/ has bought gear they've used once and threw out. You're far better off buying just what you really need, and not worrying about all the fedora-tier items like fancy knives, UV bottle purifiers and such. All you really need is to stay warm, dry, fed and hydrated. If you're packing something that isn't absolutely necessary for one of the those absolute necessities, it's a waste of weight and volume in your bag, that would be better used making the hike more comfortable.
>>
>>627431

As far as water filtration goes, what is my best bet? I was looking at the Lifestraw but I assume I'll need to chuck out a little more than just $20 to keep my water supply clean. There has to be a catch.
>>
>>627433
Lifestraw actually gets used in Africa to purify the truly disgusting water they have over there, I'd say it's a good product. I think it also has a carbon filter in it, which may mean you have to replace it eventually. I like the Sawyer mini. $25 gets you 100,000 gallons or purification and works in-line gravity fed (by far the easiest way to filter). But it doesn't have carbon, so lake water is safe but still tastes lakey, and you NEED to make sure it doesn't freeze at night, or the filter lines will burst. Overall, I highly recommend.
>>
File: 1429788784533.jpg (262 KB, 2212x2212) Image search: [Google]
1429788784533.jpg
262 KB, 2212x2212
>>627427
>no bladed tool
>no first aid kit
>no toilet paper

add these and you're good to go
>>
>>627433
Also, carry a really tiny drop bottle of store-brand unscented bleach. Far cheaper and more effective than tablets. You can do a rough filter, and use the bleach or just add it after the Sawyer as a double safety measure.
>>
>>627436
I assumed his fishing gear would include a knife.
TP is not an essential
>>
>>627436
Everyone should always carry a knife, it's a useful tool and that has nothing to do with camping.

First aid kits are a joke. There's not a single item in a basic first aid kit that's going to help you in a survival situation.

Toilet paper? You think it's impossible to go a couple of days without something people lived for millions of years without? Use a leaf! Mullien is my favorite.
>>
>>627441
>First aid kits are a joke
au contraire mon frere. mine contains, among other things, iodine, bandages, and moleskin-bandaids
>>
File: CHUCK.jpg (35 KB, 409x450) Image search: [Google]
CHUCK.jpg
35 KB, 409x450
>>627441

but what if you get a splinter?
>>
>>627427
>If you are going out alone, buy 2 maps. Keep one for yourself, on the other mark more or less where you plan to be and give the map to someone who knows you're going out.
lol never in my life i actually managed to follow a plan wtf is with these game plan advice if you go out you go where you find interesting stuff or stuff suitable to your needs you pretty much improvise all the time. much better would be to check in with someone from time to time.
>>
>>627448
And mine contains, amongst other things, codeine, antibiotics, and sutures. But you won't find those items in a basic first aid kit, which is why first aid kits are a joke.
>>
>>627427
>Sleeping mat
nah this is the most useless stuff ever there was not a sleeping mat made i could sleep on comfortably and they take up shitton of space. the inflatable ones are comfy enough but weight a ton
>Cooking stuff:
>Stove
>Fuel
>Cookware and utensils
ooor stick to just the essentials and bring a pan or a canteen cup
a spoon or spork is all you need you have your knife anyways i usually just cut a stick clean it from bark and cook/eat with that a canteen-cup and some chopsticks is pretty much all you need pans are luxury items if you spend a lot of time out and like some variety
>Trowel
a digging stick you make with your knife will perform just as well

the most important is water you need 3-4 liter per day that is the focus of the majority of weight in a good gear also always bring mylar blankets they weight nothing and in a pinch will just mean the difference between life and death.
>>
>>627456
Sleeping mats aren't meant to be deep ring mattresses, they're meant to insulate you from the cold ground.

Cookware is a completely personal choice, I prefer not bringing any, and cooking my fish and critters directly over the fire, while carrying trail food that doesn't require cooking at all.

I do agree with the digging stick, as long as your colon gives you enough warning. I know people that get just a few minutes notice... so take that as you will.

I find that I don't need to carry more than two litres of water at a time, so long as I top off my water at every source I come to, be it faucets, streams, creeks or lakes. Gas station ice machines are a delicacy, when you've been hiking for a week, though...
>>
>>627457
*Box spring mattresses
>>
>>627457
sure i get it, but if you stuff soft fluffy stuff under you anyways like twigs and leaves or use a hammock it's pointless that's all i'm saying.
when i go camping with a tent i do bring inflatable mattress that insulates rather well and comfy as fuark.
>>
File: mfw4.gif (985 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
mfw4.gif
985 KB, 500x252
>>627454
>you won't find those items in a basic first aid kit, which is why first aid kits are a joke
understood as:
>basic first aid kits doesn't contain what i deem important so the whole idea of carrying a first aid kit is redudant
>>
>>627461
If you use a hammock, you absolutely need a pad or underquilt, unless you're camping in the tropics. And while you certainly can make a bough bed, and I recommend that everyone know how, it usually requires fresh boughs, and it's incredibly irresponsible to do that much damage except in an emergency situation.
>>
>>627463
Well it was intended as: basic store bought first aid kits are basically just a few bandaids, and should be supplemented with actual emergency medical supplies so that you aren't trying to fix a compound fracture with a hello kitty bandage and a lollipop.

But I solo, deep in the woods and away from trails. I actually could die from something as simple as a sprained ankle, so I prefer to be more prepared than most in that department.
>>
>>627441
>Use a leaf!
i'll keep my tp, thank you. I store half a roll in my jacket, and the other half in my backpack. It weight next to nothing, it doesn't take much space and i can use it as tinder. there is no reason not to use tp over leafes, pine cones or sharp rocks except for being indian or something
>>
>>627468
While you are having a point here, I (as >>627436) wasn't talking about run-of-the-mill first aid kit, but first aid kits you can actually use. My bad if this wasn't understandable.
>>
>>627470
To each their own, but I don't have to worry about running out, or carrying it in, or buying it in the first place, when nature provides everything we need.
>>
>>627472
Well, I'm probably a little on edge, what with being very much stuck indoors until I can get my winter gear out of storage, not to mention the fact that I came to /out/ hoping to maybe learn something new, and practically everything I've seen on this board has been dick-measuring and misinformation.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 599x337
People are so nice here
>>
>>627453
It's not a bad idea if you are going somewhere where you really aren't likely to see anyone. It takes 2 seconds to print out a google map of the area, it's not like you need to order a 7.5 min map from the USGS.

>>627456
A sleeping mat is really important if you're on the ground and you don't want to die, especially during the winter.

Cookware I bring is the bare minimum. Lot's of place don't allow from campfires so you need a stove/fuel. Cookware and utensils are pretty much what you said, a small sauce pan and a spork.

I bring a trowel because I don't feel like making one from wood every day.
>>
Bring a buttplug dont try to make one from a pine cone
>>
>>627428
are you me?
>>
I did something like this earlier this year. I fish a lot myself and camped my whole life but actually never a hike in. Did 3 days. planned 4. I might recommend a Fjallraven Kaipak if you are looking to make this a regular thing.
As much as anything I can talk about where I went wrong. Make sure your shoes are very comfortable and easy to walk in. And that they breathe. Runners are not a terrible choice if you are sticking to trails.
Bring a bush knife and a fork and a spoon. Don't bring a massive sleeping bag. Get something compact and light but speced to just below the temps you can expect as a low. either a light tarp or small tent for sleeping. Have a good 50-100 feet of strong cord. Second set of clothes should only be underwear t shirts and socks. poncho is useful.
take the downhill sections easier. I walked about 15 km in one day and it took 2 to hobble out because I fucked my knees by having too much weight and going down hills to haphazardly. Have gauze, tape, polysporin, and iodine on hand rather than bandaids. Iodine can be used to sanitize water without boiling as well. Have at least a 1L/quart water bottle.
pack weight no more than 40lb. trust me. I did like 80lb. I died. insect repellent is never a waste to bring. I was eaten alive.
I find the bahco saw more useful than a hatchet or axe.
Bring a little food. But only enough for 2 light meals a day. Instant pasta is nice, I put oatmeal and brown sugar into a ziplock. Bring a bit on trail snacks like granola bars.
Luci light lantern really worked out well for me. Cheap and light and bright. Throw some leaves under your tarp or tent and leave the sleeping pad at home.
>>
>>628181

All of that stuff will add up to way more than 40lbs
>>
File: 34566.jpg (37 KB, 616x453) Image search: [Google]
34566.jpg
37 KB, 616x453
>>627991
You're you, I'm me.
>>
>>628237
the similarities are strong with this one haha
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.