[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which knife to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 1973961.jpg (160 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1973961.jpg
160 KB, 800x600
so /out/

I want to go /out more and so I was thinking of buying a proper knife for that.
Up until now, i used my Victorinox Hunter and I also own a Fiskars X7 Axe, which i occasonally bring along.

So for the new one... First i thought ESEE izula 2 but i reckon it's just a bit small. What about a ESEE 3? something like that...

What would you recommend? specifically when it comes to sizes...
>>
If you want to go /out/ more, then go /out/ more. You will figure out what equipment you should buy as the need arises.

Don't buy it as a toy and don't use wanting to go /out/ more as an excuse to buy a new toy. Nobody can tell you which knife to buy without knowing what you'll be using them for and what cutting needs you'll encounter.

That being said, some real advice:

You already have a hatchet so you don't need anything big enough for chopping or >batoning, but you already figured that out. I have an Izula II and it's rare that I need anything bigger while out. Ask yourself what you need to cut, and if you need that extra blade length and weight for it. Also, 1095 will rust on you if you don't maintain it. Esee are good knives with a great warranty, but they're prone to rust, if they weren't prone to rust then they wouldn't come powder coated.
>>
>>774461
If you like the look of the Esee's have a look at the JG3
>>
>>774461
With a victorinox huntr and that fiskars you are already set anon. Get a foldable saw and you are golden.

Also, listen to the previous anon.
>>
>>774461
>What would you recommend?
depends on what you want
>>
>>774461
I use a gerber bear grylls survival knife. I prefer the serated version. I don't take an axe and just use the knife to baton. This saves me over 2 pounds of axe weight.
>>
>>774461
/out/ more is pretty fucking vague. All I will say is that the blade that I use for gutting, skinning and for the meat cutting part of quartering big game has a blade that is about 2"-2 1/2" long. If the knife is for that specific purpose, I'd go with the shorter blade. You have more control.
>>
>>774531
thats arguable for that knife. its not full tang and not a particularly burly or high quality piece of steel. some knives can make that claim, but the bear grlls survival knife is not one of them, as far as i know
>>
"Depends on what you want" non-answer. Get the big one, since they are both so similar looking.
>>
>>774544
Come on man it was clearly bait, bear grylls, gerber, serrations, batoning, no axe - he's ticked almost all the boxes there.
>>
>>774531
>Gerber
>Bear Grylls Survival Knife
>serrations
Not sure if b8 or legitimately retarded.

Please visit the knife threads on
>>>/k/
And be sure to lurkmoar
>>
File: jx2.jpg (106 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
jx2.jpg
106 KB, 864x576
>>774461
the general idea for a woods knife is:

blade 4-5 inches long (3.75 will do).
1/8'' to 5/32'' thick (thicker is pointless)
full flat grind (better for game) or scandi grind (better for wood)
comfortable handle.

By "comfortable handle" I mean something that provides great support for your hand in multiple positions, not just one. Finger grooves and profiled handles look nice, but they usually (depending on how aggressive they are) support a single grip position.

Pic related is one of the most comfortable (if not THE most) handles I've ever used. It's also expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you can casually spend $230+ on a knife.

However, the NEW line of esee knives, with redesigned handles - that's another story. Also the camp lore series, here's a couple of links:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RCRB3/esee-knives-camp-lore-reuben-bolieu-rb3-fixed-uncoated-scandi-ground-blade-micarta-handle-leather-sheath

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RC3HM/esee-knives-esee-3hm-plain-edge-modified-micarta-handles-leather-drop-sheath

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RC4HM/esee-knives-esee-4hm-plain-edge-modified-micarta-handles-leather-drop-sheath

Other options besides esee. Condor bushlore for example - about 40 bucks, based on the woodlore (that's where all the x-lore names come from).

Also numerous traditional scandi knives, that the Sammi people have been using for centuries.

And the Izula 2 is good as well. It's only small for food prep - specifically, cutting bread and buns - it helps to have a longer knife there, but you can manage.

Above all - avoid heavy, die-hard "survival knives" that you can supposedly abuse the hell out of - they're nowhere near what they're hyped up to be.
>>
>>774578
k's knife threads are a spin off of outs thread, although obviously there have been knife threads through the years. i mean, out as a board was a containment board for k. they arent separate. so when i see people go like "kommando here", i know they havent been here long. like you said, lurk more. outs knife threads are often superior
>>
>>774461
Esee 3, or even better, a Fallkniven F1.
>>
>>774483
Just shut up. Stop acting like you know things. You aren't wise. You aren't even a skilled outdoorsman.

The esee 3 is a great tool just like every other esee on the market, if you want something perfect for multi use then the esee 3 is your knife. If you want sharp careful work, that izula will work just fine but there are clearly better options.
See below

For game, you want a knife that a surgeon would use. For nornal camp stuff a medium sized knife with an edge is great(90% of knives fit this criteria, that is hundreds of thousands of knives you cannot pick the best one and arguing about which is the best is down syndrome tier and will never achieve anything). For bushcraft, get a prybar with a high quality steel. Think RTAK II. These particular knives have the added benefit of having a hammer and a hatchet and a blade all rolled into one. You can also kill somebody with the dull end of the knife. What a plus!

I'd pick the esee 3 because I assume you will be doing stereotypical camping.
>>
File: MHF1.jpg (46 KB, 724x256) Image search: [Google]
MHF1.jpg
46 KB, 724x256
>>774780
>or even better, a Fallkniven F1.
Or even better a 3V CS master hunter, same thickness at the handle but it's got a distal taper unlike the F1, more belly, more blade, better hard use steel, fair bit cheaper.
>>
File: 5339884353_3a2e5da4c4.jpg (209 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
5339884353_3a2e5da4c4.jpg
209 KB, 500x375
>>774461
I think you should consider a Helle knife. You don't need a knife that can baton because you carry a hatchet. Helle use an awesome laminated stainless steel on most of their knives. They keep their edges for a long time and come very sharp. You also don't need to worry about rusting as much as an esee. They are true scandi ground which is great for carving wood and general outdoors use, its also easy to maintain in the field and imo the easiest grind to sharpen. On top of that they're gorgeous. If you take good care of it it will outlive you.
Pic is helle harding
>>
File: 4chin.webm (3 MB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
4chin.webm
3 MB, 500x294
Just get a hatchet or small axe.

Add a Victorinox to that and you're ready to go.
>>
I have had an ESEE 3 for about five years now. It is the oly knife I will ever need, it gets sharp and stays sharp, is pretty much unbreakable, and the coating ensures rust is minimal.

I love going /out/, but I also work a ranch and hunt, so the ESEE gets tons of use.
>>
>>775359
Not only did you not read the thread, you even failed to read OP's post, well done anon.
>>
File: 71rVM-RT78L._SL1500_.jpg (70 KB, 1500x819) Image search: [Google]
71rVM-RT78L._SL1500_.jpg
70 KB, 1500x819
is this any good? I heard it had some problems so any alternatives in the sub 130 range?

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Vantage-Folding-Knife/dp/B00I0MAH6W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
>>774461
>I want to go /out more and so I was thinking of buying a proper knife for that.
You don't need a "proper" knife to go /out/ you fucking pussy.
>>
>>774496
I agree with this anon. OP, the Victorinox Hunter is a God-tier knife. I EDC it everywhere I go including inna-woods.
>>
>>775381
>Not only did you not read the thread, you even failed to read OP's post

I don't see the problem.
The hunter knife is made by Wenger. It's like saying a Kershaw knife is a Zero tolerance blade.
A Fiskars x7 also can't be called a hatchet. It's a brittle china wedge mounted on a dildo.

YOU should read the thread instead of shitposting like the ADHD tortured kid you are,
>>
>>775359

dafuq did i just watch?
>>
>>775359
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdmyL3OhWo
>I need a hatchet
>>
File: Sperglord.jpg (128 KB, 529x399) Image search: [Google]
Sperglord.jpg
128 KB, 529x399
>>775506
>>
>>775523
And a good hatchet would have been through that 2x4 in the same time
>>
>>775685
3 whacks with a fiskers
4 tops
>>
>>774461

I have plenty of knives and ESEE are one of the best by design.

The only weakness of ESEE is the regular steel for a premium price.
>>
>>774568
>>774578
what's wrong with serration?
>>
>>775506
OP here. The Hunter is made by Victorinox. Wenger look like shit.
Since apparently i don't need another knife, I might just buy one for shits and giggles.
>>
>>774587
>Above all - avoid heavy, die-hard "survival knives" that you can supposedly abuse the hell out of - they're nowhere near what they're hyped up to be.
this is what the jessmuk is, an overbuilt mora
>>
>>777536

Nothing

Just harder to sharpen and they serve a different purpose

They're better for cutting (sawing) dense fibers if that's what you need.
>>
So are the Tom brown trackers worth anything? My dad has had one and uses it regularly while camping, says it gets everything he wants done. Just wondering because that's a 200$ purchase and I'd like to know some other opinions before buying it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.