[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, friends. I'm a filthy citydweller and I need to cross
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1319934979998.png (31 KB, 113x136) Image search: [Google]
1319934979998.png
31 KB, 113x136
Hello, friends. I'm a filthy citydweller and I need to cross 250 kilometers of average, european, slightly hilly, terrain. On foot.
Time is not really a factor but I'd really prefer to not die.
I'm in alright physical condition and I excercise and run, though I've never done anything quite like this.
There will be several town-stops on the trail though, for refilling and shit.

I've got some questions but feel free to tell me anything you might consider applicable.

1) How to sleep on such a long-distance journey? Do I like climb a tree every night and unleash my inner ape to be safe?
2) What food to bring? I understand I'll need some calorie-dense sustenance.
3) What to avoid?

Please no bully.
>>
>>768038
Do you have any camping experience?

Find a light weight tent (alps mountaineering makes a good quality affordable one man ~$100usd), sleeping mat, and bag, or go with a hammock set up. It's all about preference and how much comfort you need to get a good nights sleep. I personally don't like sleeping on hammocks because I like to be able to sleep on my stomach and side which isn't very comfortable given the shape of hammocks.

You should get a decent sized pack, 65-80 liters, and some light weight cooking gear. I like jetboil but people here poo poo it (there are a lot of unnessisarily picky people on this board). It works great and boils water super fast which is what you'll need since the meals you should bring should be dehydrated stuff. It's lightweight and full of the nutrients you need when exerting yourself.

Another likely essential would be a water purification system. From a lot of experience, I'd recommend buying a hanging bag system. It's the simplest design with no moving parts meaning that, as long as you're somewhat careful not to puncture the bags, it is the least likely to experience mechanical failure.

Don't pack a lot of clothes. One pair of pants will do and a few shirts, a hoodie, and 5 or so pairs of underwear. Bring some biodegradable all purpose soap (Dr. Bronner's ftw) to clean your cloths and body.

I recommend a mid height boot especially if you're an inexperienced backpacker. They offer better ankle support than a low so you're less likely to twist your ankle and become stranded.

Hope this helped! Have fun OP!
>>
>>768108
Hi and thank you, anon, for your response.
I don't have much camping experience in the conditions I have described but I do have some experience in general.
I should've clarified I barely have any money to work with but your post was very helpful anyway. I'll try to get as much stuff as you described as possible, though it might not always work out.

From what I'd like to respond to, I think I'll get the hammock.
How should I be placing the hammock? If I place it too high up, won't I be fucked if it breaks and I'll be on it, asleep? If I put it close to the ground, the wildlife could come and get me.
Safety during sleep is very important to me and I'll take any advice I can get.
Maybe I could plan it around getting to places where sleeping would be more safe. What kind of places would you recommend? Certainly not a middle of a forest.
>>
Me (OP) again.
I have done some reasearch and discovered that there aren't that many predators lurking around. In fact, they are very rare. Still, I wouldn't like to meet any of them.

Though there is a lot of wild boars on my way lately and I heard those can fuck you up.
Been reading about them for a while.
I don't suppose they can get up into trees with their piggy legs.
>>
>>768140
>I wouldn't like to meet any of them.
They wouldn't like to meet you either.

As for food, calorie dense, yes. But if you stop in cities from time to time, get some fresh stuff for the short term too.
The biggest part of the weight will be your food either way.

Which route are you taking?
>>
Pack light. Set up a comfortable weight for you to carry and then pack under that limit. Fill the rest with water.

Carry a good pack ( I use Deuter) with waist support

Bring a good and unintimidating folding knife or multitool. Victorinox / Leatherman

Bring some dank boots or hiking shoes, I recommend Merrell Moab

Eat according to the exercise you do. Buy food at towns. High caloric food for good output, but if you're walking 10km a day just eat healthy.

A good pace on flat terrain is about 5km / h. You'll probably do around 3 to 4km/h.

Ideally, you should end up walking around 20km a day, so that's between 5 and 7 hours.

Bring plenty of money.

You can sleep in a one man tent in a sleeping bag or you can sleep at the towns. The most sensible thing to do is to plan your route according to the towns, so you cand spend the night there. If you're light on gear, it's almost always better to sleep on the streets of a town than in the outdoors.

Avoid being lazy, walk 15 to 25 km a day depending on your health and how much time you have. Spend time planning your meals. Eat RELIGIOUSLY, never skip meals. NEVER drink booze or do any kind of drug.

If you're very unhealthy you might want to consider some legal drugs like those pills that have a bunch of shit like vitamins and caffeine etc to save you if you ever get in deep shit.

Remember, you'll do as good as your mind allows and as good your gear is.
>>
>>768151
>>They wouldn't like to meet you either.
I hope so. All sources I have read tell me the same thing. Hopefully the animals will keep their end of the bargain.

>Which route are you taking?
The exact specifics are yet to be determined but I know the start point and end point. Actually getting there is the first priority.
Aside from that, as a bonus I'll detour a bit and probably gonna do some sightseeing, I'm a fan of water so I'm going to make sure to visit some lakes here and swim a bit. Keeping it all close to a somewhat of a straight line between the start and finish, of course.
I'm not too fond of staying close to major roads though so I'll be avoiding those.
I'll be adding more criteria to my route and modify it according to that and write all down.
Not entirely a super /out/ experience, I'll give you that, I'm not aiming for a super nature walky take-it-all-in goal but this is really the only place that I thought would have good advice. And it does!

>>768162
Hi anon and thanks for your help! Nice post.

>Bring plenty of money.
>towns, so you cand spend the night there
How do I make sure some hobo won't find me and take the money or worse?
>>
Did 4chan shit itself? I sent a post but apparently it got lost somewhere in the internet limbo.

In short, again:
>>768151
>Which route are you taking?
I'm taking a straight line from the start to my goal (since actually getting there is pretty much the only real purpose my travel has) but I'm modifying it based on your and my criteria. I'm keeping off the major roads but there's no way I can avoid villages and regular roads, so I'll be using some of those. I'll be sure to do some sightseeing that doesn't derail me too much and I love water (goes well with that water purification thing) and swimming so I'll make frequent stops at nearby lakes and the kind.
Really though, I'll only be setting the final route in stone when I've gathered all the info because that all counts into modifying it.

>>768162
Hi and thank you for your post, anon!
How do you suppose I should avoid the city dangers during the nights I'll be sleeping in the cities?
How can I avoid getting robbed by some hobos or worse?
>>
>>768176

If you're going to a city maybe it's better to sleep outdoors, however people in small towns are usually nice or at least down to earth. You'll have to go to town for breakfast or lunch anyways

>>768167

People never guess a dirty hiker has a lot of money. However i advise you have it. Chances are you wont be mugged. Europe is not Mexico or worse, people are usually peaceful.

If you dont know how to defend yourself it's up to you, hobos are usually harmless or easy to fend off anyways. The worst that could happen to you is being bullied by a bunch of drunken young males or some gang, but that's a worst case scenario.

You'll probably have more trouble with the police than anything else, because in most places you can't sleep on the street.

Also all medium towns and cities have places for you to spend the night.
>>
Is this your first time leaving your parents basement or what?
>>
>>768119
Where do you live, Africa? The wildlife in your country isn't just going to kill you in your sleep.
>>
>>768264
Yes.

>>768337
Yurop.
I haven't had much experience with wildlife, that's why my thoughts about them are skewed. I am aware that they are not really a threat though, see: >>768140
>>
>needs to cross europe
>time is not a factor
>money is a problem

Are you a refugee?
>>
>>768977
No.
>>
>>768996
Again, what country, homolord? Spain? Norway? Slovenia?

If in germany, don't sleep on the streets, its unavoidable that you get harrased by police. Sleep inna woods, bring a groundsheet, a sleeping pad, a sleeping bag and a tarp. Stealth camping is what you want. You get food and water every few km, so just keep enough for a day. You can make 20 to 25 km a day.
>>
Can I just ask why real quick? Like, just real fucking quick, why?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>768038
No need to
Anything edible
People
>>
>>769018
Middle to east yurop, Poland, Slovakia, Czechia and the shebang.

>>769071
I always wanted to do it. Like as far as I can remember.
I want to do it, I want to know I can do it and I need to know that if shit hits the fan really badly in the future I can always just disappear.
Regular backpacking or camping won't do it for me.
>>
Ok I'll bump this one last time and if nobody has anything to add anymore, let the thread 404.

Just a little unimportant tidbit, I've been on a trek to help me prepare and my average pace has been like 4,5km/h over the day. I think that the minimum of 25 km (or more, but this is just the minimum I'm setting for myself) won't be a problem to do every day constantly.

Thank you all guys, you've been super helpful.
I'll always think of /out/ highly because of you.
>>
>>768038
HAHAHA IS THAT ACTUALLY A PIC OF YOU OP YOU LOOK RETARDED
>>
>>769071
Is that Severian?
>>
>>768038
that should take less than a week, why are you being such a pussy ? especially if you're going through towns
>>
File: qwertyuklknbvcdx.jpg (45 KB, 539x400) Image search: [Google]
qwertyuklknbvcdx.jpg
45 KB, 539x400
>>768038
1. Buy a swag, find some trees, clear a small area of ground to sleep on, sleep with your knife beside you.
2. Jerky, lollies, lot's of water. Grab a jet boiler and bring along some easy to make meals/tea too if you're feeling homo.
3. Bad shoes (good ankle support, decent fit, no heel rubbing), bad hygiene (Bring babywipes and clean yourself bruh), losing pace (set a goal of x km a day and hit it every day), getting lost (make sure your map to ground skills are good).

Goodluck OP.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (157 KB, 644x644) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
157 KB, 644x644
>>771418
Actually he posted a pic of a mirror.

Who is the retard now, retard?
>>
>>768038
>Tent
>Sleeping Bag
>Good pack
>Good Jacket. Preferably waterproof.
>warm and cold weather gear
>Boots
>Good woolen socks
>The best knife you can possibly get
>Fire starting Kit
>Canteen
>Enough food to last a week at a time

Id personally take my crossbow and dog for companionship, protection, hunting but theyre optional i suppose
>>
>>771722
Someone with no experience is going to find it hard going to walk 25 miles a day for 6 days.
>>
>>771418
>>772000
>Elementary school kids giving survival advice

Only on 4chan I guess
>>
File: image_9.jpg (23 KB, 236x316) Image search: [Google]
image_9.jpg
23 KB, 236x316
>>772248
Jokes on you, i'm actually 43. But yeah, i'm sometimes childish. So?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.