[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
first time growing a veggie garden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: grow_bkyd_top01.jpg (20 KB, 226x200) Image search: [Google]
grow_bkyd_top01.jpg
20 KB, 226x200
Hello! I've really been getting hyped up to grow a small veggie garden. I would love to be able to grow a big amount of veggies. Green beans, strawberries, peas, carrots, blueberries, corn, potatoes,raspberries/blackberries, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.
But I've never had a garden before. Never planted flowers and such. I've helped my family move bushes around their property but that's about it. Idk how to properly care for veggies/fruit so they would grow and produce some stuff for me to eat!
Any pointers? Any beginner veggies/fruit i should start with?
I will appreciate any advice you have to offer. Even the proper tools to use or how much/often i should water
>>
>>771280
Start with easy stuff. Peppers, onions, corn if you have the space. Cucumers and zuchini but you need fence or structure. Brocalli and coliflower later in summer. And green beans.

People think potatoes are easy but unless you plant a million you have to keep reburying them.

Start with peppers suchini and onions. And tomatos but understand you actually have to care for them.
>>
>>771280
FYI, we have a long standing series of farming/gardening threads for this stuff. The latest one is: >>771350

Old one is: >>762858
>>
File: jabuticaba.jpg (320 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jabuticaba.jpg
320 KB, 1280x720
>>771280
>Any pointers? Any beginner veggies/fruit i should start with?

It depends on your specific situation. A suggestion on easy garden plants from one person might leave another scratching their head.

For example, you often hear mint plants will take over a garden, but in my yard they just die. There's a guy here who swears cherry tomato plants are awful tomato plants, but I love them and they always do fantastic for me.

So, I'd recommend trying a wide variety of plants and doing research on planting tips in your area. In the US, you can google "[your state here] extension garden" and you may get good results, in my state they recommend varieties that do well here and give growing tips.

>the proper tools

Some that I use often- long handle hoe, a long handle cultivator, a dibber, a trowel. A rake can be handy too.
Some consumables I use- long bamboo skewers (marking things, pinning down things like netting,etc), clips, twine(or something to tie things up).

>how much/often i should water

It really depends. You can get an iea of how much water is in the soil by sticking your finger down into it. Some plants will visually indicate they could use some more water (and/or it's very sunny and hot) by drooping their leaves. I'm a fan of a general method of watering deeply & infrequently... but not all plants tolerate that well.
>>
>>771280
It would help to know what USDA zone you're in if in the US. If not, first and last frost dates will be helpful.
>>
Op here, im in NJ
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.