[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping Bags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: comfyjap.jpg (135 KB, 640x538) Image search: [Google]
comfyjap.jpg
135 KB, 640x538
Can we have a good ol' fashion sleeping bag fag thread?

Post your comfy fap capsules, ask questions, recommend bags to the bagless, don't discuss wool blankets and we'll have ourselves a grand thread.
>>
Wish I kept my REI receipt so I could try out different sleeping bags.

Oh well, my current one is OK and compresses really well.
>>
File: 370447.jpg (64 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
370447.jpg
64 KB, 880x660
Well, I have a Browning™ Yellowstone mummy bag. It's rated for 20ºF, although I wouldn't try to use it that cold without a pad or underquilt. I've been quite comfy in it on cots, in my hammock, and on the ground but if it's gonna be below like 30-40 you need an under layer for sure. I was hard-up for a new sleebin bag on short notice and went to my local redneck shop and they had this, so I bought it for about $90. My friends have MASSIVE ~10lb beasts that are impossible to carry, so I'm pretty happy with my 3lb bag. The thing I really love about it is just how cumpfy it is. It's just the most amazing soft nylon that it just lulls you to sleep. Even when the bag is freezing cold when you climb in, it still feels so nice and inviting. I call it my warm horsecunt and it doesn't disappoint!

If I start doing long hikes and become an ultralight fagét I'll have to leave it behind but that's not really what I'm into.
>>
>>761227
Sounds and looks comfy, Anon. Does it pack well?
>>
File: Photo on 10-05-16 at 2.06 AM #3.jpg (107 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 10-05-16 at 2.06 AM #3.jpg
107 KB, 800x533
>>761252
It's sorta bulky, but not compared to typical cheep sleeping bags. It's just not crazy lightweight is all. It's just over 3lbs but it packs to about the size of a couple soccer balls or something. I have no trouble lashing it to my external frame pack and it's not heavy, just kind of a blob to carry through the bush is all

pic looks weirdly bigger than it actually is
>>
File: IMG_20160508_192123.jpg (281 KB, 1077x1813) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160508_192123.jpg
281 KB, 1077x1813
Thinking about getting one of these. It's rated for 30°F but I live in Kentucky and that's pretty much as cold as it gets in the winter. It stays nice and hot during the summer though, so will hold too much heat?
>>
>>761204
>>
>>761640
grimmace is a total bro. i bet he'd bring all the food and do most of the work, plus he's comfy af fuck when the night is cold

10/10 would camp with anytime
>>
>>761553
>>761227
How are coffin/mummy bags for stomach sleepers? I imagine they are total shit. They look super comfy but I cant fall asleep on my back to save my
life
>>
File: mummysleep.jpg (71 KB, 650x550) Image search: [Google]
mummysleep.jpg
71 KB, 650x550
>>762137
no bro they're fine for everyone. most mummybags are long enough where the hood is sort of "extra" length at the top. in the course of an evening i sleep on my back, side, and stomach and i have no problem with the hood at all. unless you have the hood wrapped up tight around your head it's basically just more blanket/pillow under your head. if you sleep face-down you still don't have to use the hood as a hood.

pic not perfectly to scale but 10,000hrs and you get the idea
>>
>>762145
alright thanks

I have a big rectangle one and I think its too wide in the leg area; like it isnt close enough around my body to give me max warmth.
>>
Here comes the BEST sleeping bag a human could ever own

>waterproof
>wind proof
>breathable
>durable
>0 degree
>$100!!!!!!

Gentlemen I present you the Mt.Rainer 0 degree sleeping bag
The sleeping bag I will own for the rest of my life
>>
>>761553
Dont kid yourself kentucky is known to be 70 degrees in january and then 0 the next fucking day

-life long kentuckian

Keep yourself prepared for our retarded weather
>>
>>762187
Did I mention this thing goes into a compression sack and gets tiny as fuck? Because it does! Check it on amazon if you want. God I love this fuckin thing.
>>
>>762187
0 degree celcius?
>>
>>762187
>Mt.Rainer 0 degree sleeping bag
post specs
>>
>>762192
>>762191
http://www.freshairjunkie.com/index.php/2011/04/high-peak-mt-rainier-sleeping-bag-review/

This seems to be a solid review
>>
>>762191
Nope they did it in american temp bro
>>
>>762187
>0 degrees

How?
>>
>>762196
See
>>762194
Read review. It is truly the best bag on the market. I even use it for summer camping, I just sleep on top of it.
>>
>>762187
>5lbs 14oz
that's not crazy heavy but it's still heavy and it's probably bulkier'n horsecocks. and waterproof to boot? sounds like a bit of a pleasant fiction to me. probably amazing for car camping or short hikes but this isn't quite a silver bullet.

also amazon has it listed for $180
>>
>>762201
I have tested the waterproof myself held it under a bathtub. It is 100% waterproof. Also it gets to 18 inch x 9 inch which by all accounts is pretty small for what this thing does, I can pull the straps on the compression sack and get the 18 inch down to about 14 inch
>>
>>762187
That shit must be hot as fuck to sleep in in any sort of temperate climate.
>>
>>762201
Also, to note the price. You can always find a sale. I paid 85 bucks for mine 2 years ago.
>>
>>762205
Sleep on top of it man
>>
>>762201
Sorry to spam post but it honestly never crossed my mind that the weight would limit people on a hike. I routinely take this baby on extended hikes upwards of 100+ miles. That just never crossed my mind. Is this an issue to people?
>>
>>762203
You are literally describing my dick, did I happen to fuck you? Is it you, Stella?
>>
>>762216
I love you baby please come back to meeee
>>
>>762215
weak people and/or people who bought shitty packs
>>
>>762191
>>762196
fucking Yuroniggs
>>
>>762188
Honestly, you're 100% right, maybe I should get a better insulated bag
>>
>>762243
Well, fuck them.
>>
>>762253
I suggest
>>762194
>>
>>762244
The only ones not using the celcius standard are you burgers so fuck off cunt
>>
>>762500
Meet me on the moon faggot and talk shit. Imperial system best system
>>
>>762571
/thread
>>
>>762137
They're shit if you like to bring your knee up towards your hips, or like to spread your legs out in a V.

>>762195
It's called fahrenheit and surprise from the name it was invented by a German.

>american temp

kek.

>>762215
total weight is more of a concern than individual items, of course total weight is a function of those individual items and thus why people worry about 'heavy' sleeping bags. IMO if I'm sensible in what I pack in my other gear I'm quite happy to have a big proportion of my pack weight being insulation.

Personally I use a cutdown Rab 400 goose down bag. It does me 3 seasons.

Been thinking about picking up (an albeit heavier) synthetic bag as the down bags can be a real PITA with dampness over extended trips.
>>
>>762571
yeah cos everyone wants a confusing fractional system.

remind me again why we don;t use pence, shillings and pounds? OH YEAH BECAUSE IT'S CONFUSING AS FUCK.

Well so is 1760 yards to a mile, 3 foot to a yard, 12 inch to a foot,

Equally, the F scale is stupid. C makes much more sense. Equal divisions, 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling water. Not a retarded scale based off a predefined concentration of brine. Kek.

Final nail in coffin: Why do you think everyone else has abandoned Imperial measurements apart from you fucking idiots?
>>
>>762631
It is honestly one smaller sized bags I've ever seen. Never seen a 0 degree bag get so small, not even if I check every REI and Bass Pro and Cabelas within 100 miles. Smaller than most 30 degree bags.
>>
>>761642
>and do most of the work

You think he got that fat by doing work? You're prolly right about the food though
>>
>>762634
>Why do you think everyone else has abandoned Imperial measurements apart from you fucking idiots?
Because it's beyond them. While you faggots are counting everything by 10's we've already left the moon and we're on our way to Mars. Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>763243
don't badmouth Grimdawg. he would totally look after shit and keep the fire going. look at his shape - he's obviously not lazy, he's downy with a glandular problem, and he can campout with me anytime

#freegrimmace
>>
I really want one of these, but holy fuck does shit get expensive

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Micro+McIII&o1=0&o2=0&o3=033RR
>>
>>763267
FOUR HUNNED DOLLA!? Fuck I know it's glorious and no expense of perfection is spared but damn, that's wholly unjustifiable except for the richest of richfags. Which sadly isn't me.
>>
>>763245
I think you mean BEHIND them. Imperial is outdated, and you're just being obtuse arguing otherwise.

You're as bad as the folk who say AMERICAN MEASUREMENTS when they mean Imperial, which they conveniently forget was colonial and British.

Don't choke on your stars and stripes you degenerate amerifat
>>
>>761257
Goatse?
>>
So when I sleep I tend to have my arms spread out a bit or sleeping on my side. Don't really like having them at my sides at all. I should stay away from a mummy shouldn't I?
>>
>>762634
>f-fractions are hard!!!
Also Fahrenheit is better for human standards as its based on shit like saline, which is far more similar to the human body than just water.
>>
>>763383
A mummy bag can feel tight especially around your feet.
>>
>>763383
When it gets really cold you will not mind at all being tight. Takes time but you get used to it
>>
>>761553
do not get that bag. i have one and it sucks. there are no horizontal baffles along the bag, meaning all the stuffing is loose throughout the entire bag, and before long it all clumps together leaving bare patches between the fabric, rendering it totally useless.

it's also not compactable at all. shit bag. get something with baffles.
>>
File: Salsa.jpg (39 KB, 960x615) Image search: [Google]
Salsa.jpg
39 KB, 960x615
I've been thinking about getting a Nemo Salsa 30 for backpacking. Anyone have experience with it or suggestions for alternates?
>>
>>763443
>>763415
Thanks guys, don't really plan on camping in the winter around here (tends to be mad schizo), but for now I think I'll stick with my rectangular bag.
>>
File: 1-160110112050404.jpg (43 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1-160110112050404.jpg
43 KB, 280x280
My body sack
>>
File: Mountain Hardware Pinole II.jpg (17 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
Mountain Hardware Pinole II.jpg
17 KB, 460x460
Is this a good sleeping bag?

I'm looking for a 2.5 - 3 season bag (32F/0C) that is ultralight + small and is reasonably priced ($100).
>>
>>763245
Ironic since NASA uses metric for everything, and the Mars Climate Orbiter crashed because a third party fucked up by leaving their units in imperial...

Look it up FAGGOT
>>
File: 2403_1.jpg (32 KB, 960x615) Image search: [Google]
2403_1.jpg
32 KB, 960x615
>>763661
my wife likes to sleep on her side with her knees pulled up, so we bought her a nemo and she likes it way better than a mummy bag

i have a marmot trestles 15-heavy, but only cost me $70, so i can take the weight hit.
>>
>>767501
americucks BTFO
>>
So what did you call the game where you jumped around in your sleeping bag trying to knock everyone else over? It was always eskimos in my scout troop.
>>
>>762634
Fahrenheit is for human sensory to temperature.
>>
>>761204
Sauce for that bag?
>>
>>762634
Fahrenheit is much better for everyday weather temperature readings.
>>
>>769426
No it's not. It's subjective as fuck if you see it as a nice feel-scale.

Celsius is more logical looking at how it came to be and is very easy for daily use and estimating/rating the weather.

>But I dont need decimals!

Who cares. Decimals arent an issue when using Celsius. You can use them and it's fine, or you dont and it's fine.
>>
What do I want for summertime backpacking?
>>
>>769603
in my sperience, anything around 30ºF/0ºC will do ya. i know it might seem overkill, but in temperate regions the ~6 months of notwinter varies from just freezing overnights to ~75º overnights. you can always open the bag to cool-off but you can't add layers to warm-up. plus when you're /out/ you have humidity and breeze to contend with. i find generally my 50º fleeze is too chilly by around 4am even in summer. there are exceptions of course, that one week of ultraviolet apocalypse where it's 80º and humid at 4am but you just lay on top of the bag in that case.

what region are you in?
>>
>>769603
I camp out in the desert all the time and even in the summer I use my zero degree bag which is overkill. I'll sleep with it open and use a thin 10 degree sleep sheet with a couple of layers if need be. Pretty comfy.

Also what you should know is that a zero bag can still be too cold even about zero degrees. Much of the time the internal temp depends on how much air volume you allow inside the bag. So in the summer weather I'll just use it as a blanket and just sleep with my back right on the thermarest.
>>
>>762203

Got any pics with it compressed? Looking for a smaller sleeping bag
>>
>>763245
>we do it the hard way cause we so smard XDDDDD

It's like when two kids solve a mathematical problem and the first one can finish it in 10 seconds with a single formula and the other one needs 5 pages and 30 minutes to solve it and then saying the latter one is smarter because he took more effort when solving it

Sciences are about efficency and doing basic things in the most simple and fast way possible and the metric system aids that.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.