[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Love cars >Loved working on my own shitbox >Friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: TII0k.jpg (701 KB, 3264x1952) Image search: [Google]
TII0k.jpg
701 KB, 3264x1952
>Love cars
>Loved working on my own shitbox
>Friends and family would tell me I didn't know shit about cars and I would fuck something up
>One day the family sedan starts making horrific noises like knocking
>They don't know why
>Suggest checking the oil
>Mother immediately responds with "That should be handled by a mechanic"
>Cuck father agrees
>They actually drive it to a mechanic that is 20 (twenty) miles across town because he's "affordable"
>Engine seized right as they turned out of neighborhood
>They then tow it to a mechanic and they straight up tell my mother that she ran it without any oil
>"Oh well, gotta use anon pos for work!"
>My humble shitbox was kept running smoothly
>Replaced the iac valve, maf sensor, timing assembly, egr valve and more stuff to keep it running smoothly over the years
>Perfect idle with on my 4a-fe
>But no, my retarded family and friends insisted on it being an old junker
>So they borrow it for a week
>Constant complaints about how small and unreliable it is
>Offer me to trade it in for newer corolla
>After all of this, they finally get their molested car back from the shop with a 4K bill
>Pos infinity never ran right again after that
>My car is returned with cigarette ashes covering almost every inch of the interior
>The front bumper now has a scrape on it
>Passages wheels have been curbed

People are miserable when it comes to cars. Only a few I know of actually do mechanic work, but keep it secret to avoid cheap-fucks and moochers.
I have never met a soul that openly expressed their love for cars snice car-culture died.

Does anyone at all live like this?
>>
>cuck anon who calls his father a cuck
>cucks out his own car
>>
>>15019115

Lived with them rent free for a few years after highschool, so I was obligated to given that they had no other options and my sister who was 3yrs older than me had no car, no job, and was being railed by a 30yr'old cable technician while she lived of my parents.
>>
>Rebuild engine in my shitbox
>Family thinks I'm wasting my time and I don't know what I'm doing
>Work on it after work, takes me a few weeks throughout the summer to finish it
>Finally fire it up open headers
>Dat cam lope (Went with tons of aftermarket goodies)
>Family surprised it works at all
>They still think I have no idea what I'm doing because they think the big cam lope means it's running shitty
>>
>>15019213
How tedious would you describe the rebuilding the engine process? And what car? Did you need any insane tools?
>>
This shit right here is why I'm hesitant to buy a used car.
>>
>>15019109
here is your magical life lesson anon
your family does not take care of their shit
you take care of your shit
you had the lack of common sense to let someone with no respect for property play with your toys.

you are the kid in the playground who gives their toy to the kid who just broke theirs. he then proceeds to fuck your shit up and then says its no good and gets bored.

never do this again. drive them around if you must.
>>
>>15019279
not at all. its actually very quick. little work involved.
depends on the car. some have weird inverted torx head bolt sort of things. you will need a torque wrench though.

some things you cant do at home like cams need to be machined with the head to fit their profiles.
>>
>>15019351
Sweet thanks anon, I'm thinkg of buying a used car and I might do a rebuild if the km are high enough and the condition isn't great.
>>
>>15019279
I used a GM factory service manual.
Didn't really need any crazy tools. A crank pulley puller and a torque wrench is the craziest things I used.

>>15019351
What this guy said. Unless you have a lathe or a CNC machine, you won't be able to do any machining yourself. Assembly and disassembly isn't that hard if you go slow, label all your bolts and take your time.
>>
>>15019362
dont let me understate the cost of getting the block and head machined though. engine shops will want to do the whole head for example and its better to have them match your valves and seats perfectly. there's a lot of machining involved. so it wont be cheap. also if its old enough you can wind up with all sorts of electrical problems when you shift the wiring harness.

there's a lot of reading you need to do first. if the old head is dead for example, you might be up for a whole new one. the labor involved in taking it apart is minimal. about as hard as taking a computer apart. but a stuff engine is a bit of a gamble. people easily pay 5k or more for all the parts and machine work involved in fully rebuilding an engine.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.