[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E46 M3 vs 2013 Mustang GT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Can't decide on this /o/. Currently have the Mustang, but really, really like the e46 m3. The car would be a DD during warm weather.
>>
>>15006785
>I want to get raped by BMW maintenance costs when I already have a better, faster car
You do you, bro
>>
>>15006785
You really have to test drive one to know. I am an unapologetic bmw cock sucker so i know what is in my driveway. Dont let retards like the poster above fool you, maintenance is not that bad as long as you avoid the dealer. But yea, driving an M car you should be able to afford to fix it or do your own wrenching.

E46 M3s are also pretty old at this point and hard to find with low miles and a manual, you may consider a Z4M or a newer e92 M3 if possible.
>>
>>15006785
That said you are buying a true sports car and have to expect the costs that come with it. For instance things Ive run into that were pricey are an alternator is $600 (thankfully wasn't bad), brake rotors are $160 each, oil is $11/L for 10w60 shell. Any other repairs have been normal prices. You gotta pay to play but it wont bankrupt you if you are smart. The aftermarket for these cars is simply superb with every suspension component you ever dream of being made. If track days are your thing there is no better car in this price range
>>
>>15006905
I'm definitely not experienced with wrencing myself. Should I just find some 3rd party repair shop with good prices and competent people?
>>
>>15006792
Found the bench racer.
>>
>>15006785
Do it.
Even the SMG can be converted to a manual for ~$3000
>>
>>15006905
Not a fan of bmw's but I agree about paying to play. Not very many people understand that when you buy a premium vehicle, you pay a premium to keep it taken care of. That's all there is to it.
>>
Depends. Very different cars in style.

The mustang is the more brutal less refined car (by no means meant as an insult) that's pretty cheap to buy and maintain.

Whilst the BMW is more refined and elegant but costs more of a premium and will also cost you that premium in maintenance.
>>
>>15007844
>>15008707
>Pay to play
>That's all there is to it.
Exactly, and as long as you know that going into it then you have nothing to worry about. Being blind to the costs is not wise but simply believing the horror stories and memes is equally silly. The truth lies somewhere in between. People who own BMWs, especially the M cars, accept this trade off for the finer touches.

Oh OP, I also forgot another big one with the S54 engine, every 30k miles the valves must be shimmed like an old car or sport bike. Part of how they got over 100hp/L out of this thing. Its moderately expensive at the shop but like all things BMW, you can DIY for pretty cheap. Its not a big deal but if you are a penny pincher keep your mustang.
>>
>>15006785
And if you want more specific advice hit up the BMW thread, there are a couple of us guys with S54 (e46 M3) engined Z4M coupes and roadsters and quite a few guys with e46 M3s.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.