[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BMW 3-Series (F30)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160426_184850.jpg (183 KB, 1433x1075) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_184850.jpg
183 KB, 1433x1075
I got a BMW 320xi as a loaner car for a few days... it's shit!

My impression...

#5 The gear selector. It's not hard to use... press the top button for park, hold the side-button while pulling down for drive, etc. But what's the point? It's like BMW is trying to trick consumers into thinking the transmission is something high-tech when it's just a generic slush-box.

(continued...)
>>
File: IMG_20160426_104149.jpg (402 KB, 1433x1075) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_104149.jpg
402 KB, 1433x1075
#4 The seating position leads me to sit crooked with my body facing the front corner of the car instead of straight ahead. The pedals are offset because of the transmission tunnel. That's not unusual, I've owned four RWD cars so I'm used to transmission tunnels. What's different is, although there's bolstering on the seat back, there's none on the seat bottom. The seat bottom wide and flat and the pleather is slippery, so there's nothing to keep my butt centered in the seat. Instead of being held in my seat, my body is free to slide and twist to match the pedals.

#3 The interior materials are on par with a leather Honda Accord or Kia Optima. Nothing horrible, but far from "premium".

(continued...)
>>
>f30 is shit
Even bmw owners agree. Nothing new here
>>
File: IMG_20160427_205355.jpg (159 KB, 1437x1075) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160427_205355.jpg
159 KB, 1437x1075
#2 The instrument cluster is very cheap. They tried to make it look like the background is an LCD screen, but the illusion doesn't work. At night, or even in a parking garage, the backlight square of the LCD shines through, and you see an off-center rectangle outlining the actual LCD screen.

#1 The (lack of) performance. Sure, this is the base model, but the base engine has no torque and the 180hp is very peaky so you have to rev the shit out of it just to merge with traffic (and it doesn't sound too happy about it). I've driven the base 185hp Honda Accord and Kia Optima, and they feel quicker and more rev-happy.

In summary, I don't understand why anyone would pay $10K more for a base 3-series over a similarly equipped Accord or Optima (with leather and navigation), unless they just want a BMW badge.
>>
BMW has been utter garbage since the early 2000s
>>
>>14981676

wow is that ACTUALLY how it looks?

that looks like fucking shit, jesus christ

it's not even a good LCD, you can see the backlight leakeage on the bottom.

I'll stick to my dead pixel bmw, thanks.
>>
>>14981667
That setup is actually really nice because it lets you select the right gear with 100% certainty without looking. Most auto selectors just kinda have a half-dozen or so options in a row without any mechanical feedback to tell you which one you just picked. It also allows you to use the same stick to select gears yourself in "manual" mode.

>>14981668
>#3 The interior materials are on par with a leather Honda Accord or Kia Optima. Nothing horrible, but far from "premium".
It's the base model. Pretty sure you can buy an Accord that costs more with options.

>>14981676
>#2 The instrument cluster is very cheap. They tried to make it look like the background is an LCD screen, but the illusion doesn't work. At night, or even in a parking garage, the backlight square of the LCD shines through, and you see an off-center rectangle outlining the actual LCD screen.
Base model. My 5 series doesn't do that.
>>
>he fell for the german build quality meme
>>
>>14983129
>Without any mechanical feedback
traditional auto selectors click, and you can count, I hope.
>>
>>14983462
Still simpler to know that pushing one way always puts you into drive and the other puts you into reverse. Absolutely no chance for confusion even if you can't count or haven't driven the car before.

I personally think the gear selectors in Camries are awful about having to look to be sure you're in drive.
>>
>>14983474
My point of reference is my XJ. It's got the best feedback in terms of traditional autos IMO, and once you're in drive, you can only switch between neutral and drive without pressing the button.
>glorious AW4
>>
I've owned 4 new bimmers and an oldie:

2006 325i
2007 335i
1989 325ci 5spd
2011 M3 coupe
2014 550i

They're all fairly nice in their own right. The 550i really showed me where BMW shines - expensive luxury. I've had 750Li loaners and 328i 6spd manual loaners. The worst one I ever drove was an E92 328i vert. What a basic piece of shit. BMW has its quirks (turn signal is retarded), but they make fairly nice cars overall. However, their edge in performance is a joke these days. I took the M4 out for a test drive and felt really disappointed.

I own a 2002 C5 Z06 Corvette now that I have been building up into a wicker track beast. I still would like a bimmer. I might try to pick up a 2010 535i for cheap end of this year/early next year when the next 5 gen is out (price drop).
>>
>>14983532
I've never owned a BMW. Currently driving a Jaguar F-Type R. Fun to hoon in but devastatingly impractical for a daily driver. I'm looking to get in to something with at the very least 4 seats and more boot space. How do you like the 5 series? Looking at those, the m6, and alpina b7. How was the 7 series to drive?

Competition is pretty competitive in the $100k+ price range. I would have to be pretty impressed by a Beamer to buy one over an s-class coupe, s8 or Aston Martin. I'm also not looking to buy used...if I was I would just buy a RR ghost or wraith and be done with it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.