[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I re-watched all of the Evil Dead movies this halloween, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9
File: raimi.jpg (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
raimi.jpg
174 KB, 1024x768
I re-watched all of the Evil Dead movies this halloween, and with this new show out, my interest in the Delta 88. I've got the money, and I'd really like to make this a daily driver. Do any of you know anything about them, or own them?
>Gas Mileage
>Performance
>How cramped working on them is (It looks like a bitch)
>Anything I should know.
>>
>>13829110
interest returned*
Good to know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3vb_A496c
>>
>>13829110
Wikipedia on the Delta 88 in case someone else wants to know/bump

For 1973, wider and lower split waterfall grilles flanked a new federally mandated 5 mph (8.0 km/h) front bumper on all Delta 88 models and larger one-piece rounded rectangular taillights replaced the four-segmented lights of 1972. Engine offerings included a standard 350 Rocket V8 with two-barrel carburetor (150 net horsepower) or optional 455 Rocket V8 with four-barrel carburetion and 215 hp (160 kW) with single exhaust or 250 hp (186 kW) with dual exhausts. Model offerings were the same as 1972 with the Delta 88 Royale series now including the sole Olds convertible offering following the demise of the intermediate Cutlass Supreme convertible after 1972.
>>
File: raimi.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
raimi.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
This one looks really damn fantastic, but I'd prefer the white vinyl top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLi3g-ZsDRw
>>
I owned a 1965 Delta 88 for a few years. I did a little restoration work on it but ended up trading it for another project.

>Gas Mileage
Depends on the drive-train. With the big 455ci engine, 4 speed manual and 3:42 geared rear end, I was getting about 12mpg. It would have been more economical with a small block.
>Performance
These cars weren't really built for performance like muscle cars such as the Oldsmobiles 442. They're still pretty good though especially if you get a pre-emissions engine.
>How cramped working on them is (It looks like a bitch)
Huge engine bay, simplistic design, everything is easy to access and a pleasure to work on. Your trouble will be finding parts. Oldsmobile parts demand a premium.
>Anything I should know.
Buy a car that's already been restored or in very good condition. They're very expensive cars to restore and you'll easily end up over-spending and turn it into a money-pit. Get a 2-door as well.
>>
File: delta88_007.jpg (55 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
delta88_007.jpg
55 KB, 600x325
>>13829262
>Depends on the drive-train. With the big 455ci engine, 4 speed...
Good to know.
>These cars weren't really...
I don't really need spontaneous drag racing on my record anyways.
>Huge engine bay, simplistic design, everything is...
The mass of cables always gives me anxiety when I look at them.
>Buy a car that's already been restored or in very good condition.
That's my plan, I'm making it a DD, so I'll need it to get me around.
>>
>>13829319
A better look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikD7g3Ts-A0
>>
File: 73donecar002a.jpg (46 KB, 600x354) Image search: [Google]
73donecar002a.jpg
46 KB, 600x354
>>13829330
>>
File: Sam-Raimi-b1.jpg (134 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
Sam-Raimi-b1.jpg
134 KB, 500x351
>>13829440
Here's Raimi in front of the car during between filming of Evil Dead 2.
>>
File: valuestop.jpg (84 KB, 1138x611) Image search: [Google]
valuestop.jpg
84 KB, 1138x611
This is what I hope to replicate, this shot is from the show. Apparently, due to legal reasons, they had to change S-Mart to Value Mart.
>>
Sam Raimi has made a habit of including the car in every one of his films. The car was originally bought by his father. The model is a Royale Holiday Sedan.
>>
>>13829110
I guess I should just let this poor bastard die, but I'll keep it around just a little bit longer.

Here's what one guy did:
http://www.deadites.net/features/the-classic-delta-88/blasters-classic-delta-88-replica-build/
>>
>How cramped working on them is
It's as wide as a full size truck, if you think this is crammed you're a little bitch.
>>
>>13829461
Well they fucked up, because that sign says Value-Stop
>>
File: eBay_Store_Jan_1973_Oldsmobile.jpg (106 KB, 555x735) Image search: [Google]
eBay_Store_Jan_1973_Oldsmobile.jpg
106 KB, 555x735
>>13832753
Like I said, cables give me angst. Lot of dark roads near where I live, I don't want to deal with that shit. But hey, you seem pretty confident, so I'll take your word for it.
Got any experience with them?
>>13833798
That was my fuck up.
>>
>>13829461
I don't think they had to change it, I think it's because he had to hide out in some town, you could be right though I'm just talking out my ass
>>
File: movies-iconic-movie-cars-11.jpg (58 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
movies-iconic-movie-cars-11.jpg
58 KB, 618x412
>>13835605
>During an interview we had with Raimi back in July,
>“Because of some licensing issues we no longer have the rights to use the name ‘S-Mart,’ and the same goes along for anything that came out of ‘Army of Darkness’,” Sam told us. “I’m not sure exactly who owns the rights, but we’ve made sure… even gone out of our way… to make sure that will not inhibit the fans’ enjoyment of the show.”
>“’Army of Darkness’ doesn’t exist,” says Tapert before clarifying a bit. “Well, certainly Ash went through a bad experience, but we’re not really referencing it [on the show], specifics from that, but he certainly has that in his memory.”

Here it is in the new one.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.