[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Downshifting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 15
File: audi stick.jpg (103 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
audi stick.jpg
103 KB, 1024x768
I recently took the plunge and bought myself a manual transmission car in order to learn to drive it. It is an 03 audi a4 1.8t. As i drive i noticed i dont really downshift ever. i just move to neutral with my foot off the clutch and slow down with the brake. if i need to go before coming to a complete stop i quickly shift into gear (usually 3rd or 2nd depending on speed) and go. The general consensus seems to be that you dont do this, instead gradually downshifting through the gears until a complete stop. Is what im doing really that bad? am i damaging my car or putting others in danger by coasting in neutral? should i practice more before going on the major roads?
>>
>>14690587
I do the exact same thing but it depends, ill downshift for a turn or speed limits. If your coming to a stoplight it doesnt really matter. I put the stress on my brakes because its a 1000 dollar job to replace the clutch here
>>
>>14690587
You aren't going to damage anything but your brakes, and, you should learn to downshift properly in order to not need new brake pads every three months.
>>
>>14690587
What you're doing is only damaging if you aren't reviving the engine to the correct rpm when you're shifting into gear out of neutral. It puts stress on the synchros and clutch.
Plus coasting in neutral is just generally unsafe.
Down shifting is easy and will come to you in time.
When you want to downshift just push in the clutch, and simultaneously blip the throttle while you're moving the stick into gear and then release the clutch. Blipping the throttle (rev matching) will makes downshifts smooth and prevent wear on the synchros.
>>
>>14690605
Not op but how do I know when the conditions are right for downshifting? Like the correct rpm range
>>
>>14690611
I always downshift when slowing down, cause my car is old, don't want to ruin the brakes/(1969) , doing this gets you good at that. Once you feel that it isn't engine braking anymore, then downshift
>>
>>14690611
Lugging the engine is bad. Lugging is when the rpms gets too low (less than 2k rpm) it puts strain on the engine. So whenever my rpms start to dip below 2k I just downshift to keep my rpms at a desirable level. Slowing down to a stop requires you to downshift rapidly so most of the time putting it in neutral is fine.
>>
when the car is in neutral it is injecting fuel to keep idle rpm's

if you stay in gear, the momentum of the car moves the crankshaft and no fuel needs to be injected.

it is safer and more fuel efficient to just stay in gear as you slow down.
>>
>>14690600

? in an auto you brake every time you need to stop, engine braking isnt that helpful.
>>
>>14690618
>>14690626

Very helpful, I just picked up a manual myself. Another question: is it ok to skip shift? As in from 2nd to 4th and what not? What actions will result in wear or damage that I need to know about?
>>
>>14690644
Maybe
>>
>>14690644
Autos downshift on their own as you're braking, baka
A closer automatic transmission equivalent would be shifting your car from D to N every time you hit the brakes and come to a stop. You can imagine how unsafe this is, and thus why it's frowned upon to not engine brake in a manual
>>
>>14690645
As long as you aren't lugging the engine in 4th after you switch out of 2nd it's fine. Some manual cars such as the newer corvettes and chargers actually have a lockout feature which will actually lock 3rd gear and force you to shift from 2nd to 4th for better fuel economy. It's some bullshit but I think it helps them meet regulations.
>>
>>14690652

yea but the torque converter slips to lower engine rpms anyways. Engine braking in an auto is most effective when the torque converter is locked which usually only is in overdrive.
>>
>>14690587
even if you aren't actually in gear because the clutch is all the way down
it's a good idea to have the leaver in the proper gear for the speed you going in case you ever need to accelerate to avoid an accident
>>
There is literrally nothing wrong with switching to neutral and stopping with your brakes.

Nor do your brakes wear out quicker, its normal wear.

If anything, by stopping while downshifting you're just economizing your brakepads a tiny bit.
>>
>>14690864
Modern cars also use no fuel during coasting, so there's that.
>>
>>14690911
Coasting in gear, I should specify.
>>
Only excuse to engine brake is if you're going to be going a very long, steep downhill, every day.

That's the only condition that would wear out your brakes quickly.
>>
>>14690587
>>14690864
In all modern cars (since 1980s?) your brake is connected to the engine via some kind of "vaccum assistance" which means when you use your brakes when in gear your are more easily able to apply pressure to the brakes.

It's not damaging your car at all to use the brakes when in neutral but you'll find it much easier to brake when in gear (try it and see).

>>leave it in gear to accelerate if you need to

Clearly true but not what OP is asking.

>> Engine braking
If you are slowing over a long distance, up to a roundabout or something then you can drop a gear, take your foot off the accelerator and let the rpms drop 1k or so then drop a gear again. In theory this is the most economical way to brake as it dosen't use pads. Just make sure you rev the engine a little so when you release the clutch your revs stay the same, just takes practice.
>>
>>14690915
How the fuck does the engine stay running then?
>>
>>14690969
In gear the engine is connected to the wheels. The wheels are turning because they are attached to 3000 to 4000 lbs of kinetic energy.
>>
>>14690919
agree, but i still like to just engine brake if im coming to roundabouts or just when i feel like it.

Ive never driven automatic but to me it seems that people that dont know manual try to overcomplicate it.
>>
>>14690966

how much more assistance does an IDLE engine in gear at 27 inches of mercury provide than a idle engine at 23 inches of mercury in neutral.
>>
>>14690611
Try driving around for a while only ever shifting up at one RPM (somewhere around 2.5k) and only ever shifting down at another (say 1k). Note where the tachometer needle jumps to after different downshifts, then try revving the engine to that point before letting your clutch out when downshifting, and ayy lmao ur rev matching
>>
Get a car with a manual transmission that automatically rev-matches (blips the throttle) on downshifts. You'll never coast in neutral again.
>>
>>14691033
Porsche Sport-O-Matic was really, really fun to drive. Kinda dumb, but hilarious.
>>
>>14690969
busrider
>>
>>14691053
>not knowing internal mechanics makes you a busrider

Wat.
>>
>>14690626
>less than 2k
What? I have a 1.6 with 7k redline but when just driving on highway I keep it at around 1300-1500, because it sounds like a racer at 2,2k+. Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>14691061
i'd assume everyone who drives a car on /o/ has atleast opened hood of their car once in their lifetime
>>
>>14691071
no, he probably drives some sort of ricecooker with fucked up gearing. 1.5k is more than enough, I drive around town in fifth gear at 55-60kph at about 1500 rpm and no lugging.
>>
>>14691071
Nope.

It's only wrong if you're trying to accelerate; like putting the pedal to the floor in 5th. If you push the go fast pedal down in a high gear, and the engine changes to a deeper tone, but you don't really accelerate, it's lugging and you should be in a lower gear.

If you're at a constant speed it's fine.
>>
>>14691073
That still wouldn't impart the knowledge of what all happens underneath said hood. Never mind something rather specific and somewhat counter intuitive (you're imagining a fuel bang at first, after all).
>>
>>14691089
>tfw tried to go a really steep hill curve in 3rd while 50kmph
The sound of an engine at 600rpm haunts me to this day
>>
>>14691103
I miss a gear sometimes and coming to a corner shift into fourth instead of second. Now that puts some sweat on my forehead.
>>
File: 1360216394307.gif (590 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
1360216394307.gif
590 KB, 250x166
>taking it out of gear is unsafe!11111111111
cucks like this make me laugh everytime
>>
>>14691114
happens, it will go
>>
Why is this so hard to understand guys?

You don't need to be heel and toeing like a retard every time you come to a stop light. You don't need to be downshifting through every gear either. If you KNOW you will be coming to a complete stop then just put it in neutral. It's the same as letting the car just idle. It's not going to hurt anything.

The only time you downshift is like when the light is about to turn green by the time you come up to it so therefore it is better to just be in gear already so you can blast on through.
>>
>>14690969
0_o
>>
>>14691242
learn to drive and stop freewheeling. its illegal in some places for a reason
>>
>>14690600
You're an idiot.

Nice dubs though.
>>
>>14692100
>thinks slowing down from 30mph in neutral is what the law was made for
>>
>>14692129
fuck you learn to revmatch
>>
>>14692144
I know how to rev match but it's completely unnecessary and a waste of energy just to downshift 5 times within 15 seconds.
>>
>>14690644
In autos the computer does something akin but not exactly downshifting for you.
>>
>>14692159
get an automatic if its so much energy
>>
How real men slow down to a stop
>Slow down in top gear until a little before it'll lug (about the point where you can pull it into neutral without the clutch depressed with no resistance)
>Neutral the rest of the way

You boyracers who downshift through every gear for no reason will get sick of it within a year.
>>
>>14692180
lefalsedichotomyfaec

There's a difference between driving manual and being a complete fucking retard who misinterpreted something someone else said then swore by it.
>>
Not OP but I have a question.
Usually when I downshift in my car I skip a gear because it will give greater engine braking.
I never redline it with this since I know my RPM to mph.
I know engine braking is safe but I just want to know if making the engine rev a lot or at high RPMs when doing so is bad or not.
>>
>>14692200
You're just wearing the shit out of your engine by doing this.
>>
>>14692190
you lazy car cunts dont even know

revmatch and stop being leetle beech
>>
>>14692185
This guy gets it.
Less fuss on transmission and engine.
Been driving for longer than most kids here been alive.
I do this all the time.
>>
>>14690600
>need new brake pads every three months
is this what dumbfucks actually believe?

on your standard pickup truck/car/suv sized vehicle, downshifting aggressively is not harmful to anything but your clutch if ur not proficient but its necessary to learn, but suggesting you're going to go through brake pads faster is bullshit. This might only be a real issue on tow trucks and other bigger sized trucks where their pads are excessively beaten on a complete daily basis under heavy load. otherwise, FUCK OFF.
>>
>>14690645
you can skip gears upshifting but its not desirable, more strain on the transmission. downshifting doesnt matter
>>
>>14690611
The general rule of thumb is if you floor it and you don't accelerate, downshift.

But with a VW 1.8t, you'll have enough low-end torque to avoid most downshifts.

>>14690626
>never lug below 2k rpm
Ancient advice from the days before knock sensors and EFI. Fuck that shit. Modern engines can happily do a full-throttle cruise near idle RPM if you let them.
>>
>>14690645
>ok to skip gears?

yes, both up and down.

It is damaging to rush the shifts, forcing/slamming it from one gear to another before the internals have a chance to speed-match. Generally speaking you just want to pull/push the lever with no more than 1 or 2 fingers worth of force and it will naturally fall in as the synchos do their magic. Ram it hard every time and you'll end up needing a rebuild quickly.
>>
>>14690652
>Autos downshift on their own as you're braking, baka

Not quickly enough to provide any engine braking. Autos will hold the highest possible gear and coast to a stop, not downshifting until the car actually stops or someone steps on the gas.
>>
>>14690969
It's not techically "running", it just happens to still be spinning because the car is moving and the transmission is in gear. The computer will turn the fuel back on before it reaches idle RPM so that it doesn't stall when the car stops rolling.
>>
>>14692100
>its illegal in some places for a reason

And that reason is that the laws in those places were written back when everyone was driving cars with non-synchronized transmissions and no front brakes. To shift into any gear required rev-matching, and a lot of people could only rev match well enough to get from one gear to the next. They'd pull it out of gear to coast, wouldn't be able to get back into any gear, and didn't have enough brake to stop.

This is the same reason truckers are told never to coast - unsynchronized transmissions. Yet automatic trucks coast and skip gears all the time, and that's legal because the automatic can always get back into gear if need be.
>>
>>14692351
well thanks for the information but the correct way to drive is to rev and pop it in like a sick cunt going down the box
>>
>>14692206
Another thing that I've noticed is that, if I gradually let go of the clutch while downshifting, the engine slowly increases its revs. Because I typically have my foot lightly on the break while doing this, it matches up the revs.

Is this an alternative to rev matching while downshifting?
>>
>>14692457
Thats the point in downshifting, helps slow the car down
>>
>>14692595
Yea I understood that was the point of downshifting, but from what I've interpreted in this thread everyone is wondering how to downshift properly when slowing down.

Unless I missunderstood the entire thread and they are all trying to downshift to accelerate, then you obviously gotta rev match.
>>
>>14690587
>I don't really downshift ever
You downshift when you want to accelerate.
examples
>on freeway, take exit and slow down, then speed up to get back on other freeway
>driving along, come to stoplight that just turned green so traffic just starting to move, downshift into lower gear to go fast
>>
>>14692457
This is your synchros doing the rev matching for you, the synchros are there to keep your gears from grinding in case you don't rev match. It's technically an alternative but will wear out your synchros. Treat your synchros as a safety feature for your transmission.
>>
>>14692682
Oh alright, I get it now.
Thanks anon
>>
>>14692457
are you saying that you let out the clutch gradually and the whees force the engine to spin faster. how else would you downshift

holy fuck im starting to think that /o/ can only shift up
>>
>>14693898
I'm not saying I don't know what's happening. I know how to shift up and down. I drive stick and only stick.

But the way this thread has been going has made me feel wrong because of all the weird ass questions where the answers are pretty simple.
>>
File: 35995497654.jpg (36 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
35995497654.jpg
36 KB, 576x576
>>
>>14694145
Nah 1st gear for 1st place
>>
Why isn't there a consensus on something this simple?
>>
Why would you buy a manual? Autos are now faster
>>
>>14694247
I can't and you can't afford a manual that is faster than me at shifting. Now before you respond think about this, is it worth your time to lie on the internet.
>>
>>14694268
>I can't and you can't afford a manual that is faster than me at shifting.

What the fuck are you talking about? The new camaros and probably mustangs are faster in auto
>>
>>14694268
>Implying
A built 4L60E will probably cost you around $2000. 4th gen F-body owners will swap them in from having a T56 because they make the car faster.
>>
>>14694268
i granny shift better than u come at me legss faster than a fkn praying mantis armms
>>
File: rustling imminent.jpg (253 KB, 896x960) Image search: [Google]
rustling imminent.jpg
253 KB, 896x960
>>14690587
>bought myself a manual transmission car in order to learn to drive it.
> It is an 03 audi a4 1.8t.
>>
Finally, a decent thread that's relevant to my interests.
>>
If you are just downshifting naturally while slowing down (i.e. low revs on 4th to 3rd) rev matching is completely unnecessary. If you are smooth on the clutch the engine should speed up by itself to match the gear and speed.

I've driven manuals all my life and 90% of people in Europe drive manuals without rev matching every downshift.

The only reason you need to rev match is if your traveling at a fairly high speed and rpm and need to downshift for more power in situations like overtaking.
>>
>>14690864
It's really bad form and you'll fail your licence test if you do it.
You'll look stupid doing it too, if any of you passengers actually know how to drive manual.
>>
>>14694362
>taking test in a manual
>being this autistic to think everyone in your car is watching your every shift instead of conversing like normal human beings.
>>
>>14694416
>>taking test in a manual
In Australia, if you take your test in an auto you can only drive auto until you get your full licence
>>being this autistic to think everyone in your car is watching your every shift instead of conversing like normal human beings.
If a mate was in 5th and stopped with out changing gears I'd find it incredibly weird. No one drives like that around here maybe Americans are just shit drivers.
>>
Fucking morons, rev matching (bleeping the throttle) has no effect on your synchros. They match revs BETWEEN gears and not with the engine.

Modern engines are designed for:
>push clutch pedal
>downshift
>release clutch pedal

If you really want to get anal about wear you need to double clutch and rev match:
>push clutch pedal
>put into neutral
>release clutch pedal
>blip throttle accordingly
>push clutch pedal again
>downshift
>release clutch pedal

Have fun with THAT shit.
>>
>>14694448
Double clutching creates more wear than just rev matching with modern transmissions
It's entirely pointless and imo anyone who does it is a try hard autist

> buy muh 1950s truck
Yeah okay
>>
>>14694444
backwards ass rules for backwards ass toilet flushers

you bogan fucks have nothing better to do than get overly anxious while a friend is driving?

i assume if you dont skewer the shrimps on the barbie without alternating onions you go ape shit as well
>>
File: 1458454961181.jpg (16 KB, 484x519) Image search: [Google]
1458454961181.jpg
16 KB, 484x519
>>14694468
>Americans in charge of banter
>>
>>14694444
> not throwing it in neutral and slowly coming to a stop
So many people do this
Litetally no one cares except for your autistic ass
Stop making my nation look bad
>>
>>14694487
>no banter yourself
>saving images
>>
File: dick_asslick.jpg (180 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
dick_asslick.jpg
180 KB, 1024x1024
>>14694362
>>14694416
>>14694444

>tfw Canadian
>tfw no restrictions on taking test with auto or manual car
>tfw took final driver's test (hardest one) with manual Mazda3
>tfw flawless shifting and dank rev matches
>tfw instructor is visually butt-flustered at how well I am doing
>tfw I know he gets personal pleasure from failing people on this test
>tfw I have given him zero excuse to dock marks
>tfw he is frantically searching for some criticism
>tfw he decides "you should really be shifting all the way down to first gear before coming to a complete stop" is a valid critique
>tfw I tell him that's ridiculous, that we'd eat the dashboard or come to a creeping stop if I did that
>tfw he asks "how long have you driven manual?"
>tfw I tell him "that's not relevant, I'd still be correct if I started driving yesterday"
>tfw we get back to test center without him saying a word the entire last 5 minutes
>tfw I am sitting patiently with smug look on my face
>tfw he hands me paper and licence back
>tfw he starts getting out of car without saying anything
>tfw I ask him "So, did I pass or what? Or was that 1st gear an automatic fail?"
>tfw he turns around and looks buttflusteredly at me, says "there are no marks for driving manual, we don't mark on it at all. you passed."
>tfw I look at him and say "then why did you even mention it you clown, the test is stressful enough without your stupid personal remarks."
>tfw he can't say shit back because he knows I'll be a bitch and report him and get him disciplined/fired

Felt good man.
>>
>>14694493
Are you from NT or something? Makes sense that you wouldn't have time to down shift between petrol huffs
>>
>>14694503
yeah well i whipped out my cock for the test driving lady to see.

she took out her dentures and gummed at the head because the mushroom was too big to fit in her mouth even sans dentures.

then failed me because i couldnt get her off in return
>>
>>14690626
I cruise under 2k all day nigga. Ain't lugging shit until I'm under 1500
>>
>>14694538

did u do big cums? i know is thick like mushroom, but big cums important
>>
people actually pay attention to the rpms?

ive always done it by feel
>>
>>14694583
no i dribbled five dropps
>>
>>14694572

Really depends on the vehicle and transmission tbhfam. Bigger trucks, especially diesels, cruise under 1500 all the time. Whereas my 4 cylinder mallcrawler SUV with a 4 speed transmission turns at 2100RPM around 90kmh. If i take it on the freeway at 110kmh I'm pushing 3000RPM.

Fucking faggot car I hate it.
>>
>>14692272
/thread
I regularly cruise in 4th with my foot off the gas pedal in muh terbodiesel.
It has the prefect speed for 30kmh zones and even pulls up hills because torks
>>
>>14694590

>current year 3027 - 1011
>not doing big cums

do u even jack it
>>
>>14690911
Coasting in neutral with the engine running is more efficient than coasting in gear with fuel cutoff
t. Hypermiler
>>
>>14694596

>tfw my car's speed drops rapidly as soon as I hit a hill
>tfw I have to mash the gas pedal down to more than 2/3 just to get it up the hill
>tfw revs spike and it goes insane and jumps to 4,000RPM
>tfw fucking retarded autotragics with no middle ground

jesus christ i don't know if i'll ever buy an automatic car again, this shit drives me insane. there are about 7 big hills on my way to college, if i use cruise control i'll be doing 80kmh at the bottom of the hill, and 120 at the top because it's retarded and can't modulate throttle worth a shit.
>>
>>14694607
>Coasting in neutral with the engine running

In an automatic or a manual car? In an automatic car this is retarded, and in a manual car it's dangerous. Not to mention you're beyond Jewish if you do this. My 5 speed Mazda3 would turn about 1400RPM at 80kmh, vs. 800 RPM in idle. Idle doesn't activate VVT either, and if your car has cylinder management it turns off in neutral.

t.gentile
>>
>>14694611
It's you again! When are you just going to admit that you bought a shit car?
Even my '94 Commodore doesn't have problems holding its speed even on a hill.
>>
>>14694621
>in a manual car it's dangerous
What the fuck.
And yes, it's a manual.
If you can coast all the way without having to brake, coasting in neutral gets you so much further than coasting in gear, so it offsets the fuel saved by the cutoff by a huge margin.
>>
>>14690626
Nigger I don't lug until sub 1k RPM. Time to brush up on modern cars, Grandpa.
>>
>>14694643

I don't think I'm the guy you're thinking of, but I readily admit that my car is weak as fuck and I hate that part of it more than anything.

But it's a base model RAV4, so idk what I was expecting really.
>>
>>14692185
This, so much. Fucking spergs act like "stopping in neutral" means putting it out of gear first and then using nothing but the brakes to slow the car.

Let the engine help slow you in the gear you're in, Then shift to neutral and finish with the brakes. Shifting down through the other gears is a fucking waste of effort if you're just trying to stop.
>>
>>14694654

It is dangerous, and some places actually prohibit it. You are expected to maintain care and control of the vehicle at all times, and if you can't accelerate instantly you're at a greater risk of crashing. I know you might not think it's a huge issue, and on some straight backroad without any traffic it's perfectly fine.

But if you're coasting in neutral on a freeway surrounded by other people or something, you're retarded.
>>
This thread literally gives me cancer. There is absolutely no harm with throwing it into neutral and slowing down, downshifting is a waste of time.
>>
>>14694668
So if you're in 5th you won't down shift? Why not? Are you just being lazy?

The only time I go from a gear into neutral is when I'm coming to a stop and I'm in 2nd, unless I have to break really hard if someone cuts me off or something.
>>
>>14694675
So you're basically saying old shitboxes with no hp are dangerous because they can't accelerate fast?
>>
File: aussie.jpg (10 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
aussie.jpg
10 KB, 236x236
>>14692185
>>14694668

I drove stick for years and only downshifted sequentially for the first few months. Realized it was usually a waste of time and started skipping gears. Never dropped it in neutral, unless I came to a stop though, seemed pointless unless you KNEW definitively that you were gonna stop.

Slowing down when approaching a traffic light though, I'd just drop into a lower gear and kinda pace myself so the light would go green before/just as I got there.

>mfw autotragic faggots behind me losing their shit
>they can't RACE up to the RED LIGHT and slam on their brakes
>they can't WASTE all that delicious inertia
>they have to sit behind me, a sensible driver trying to maximize his clutch life
>>
>>14694678
>waste of time
It only takes a second. Have you go something better to spend your time on when you're driving?
>>
>>14694687

>>mfw autotragic faggots behind me losing their shit
>>they can't RACE up to the RED LIGHT and slam on their brakes
Why does anyone do that? I've never understood it, it's like they're in a big hurry but they always take forever to take off again.
>>
File: bane.jpg (5 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
5 KB, 320x180
>>14694685

I'm not saying it directly, the law says it.

But yes, old shitboxes are somewhat more dangerous if they can't get out of the way of a collision quickly. Any car is, old shitbox or new shitbox (i.e. Mirage).

I think the neutral-coasting law is meant to combat the panic and failure to shift properly in the event of a collision/near collision. You could be coasting along calmly in neutral, then some fucker starts swerving into your lane beside you as he passes. You react by slamming the gas pedal instinctively, but there's nothing. Then you realize you have to shift back into gear. But now you have to take a split second to check your speed, think about which gear you should be in, and do the leg and arm work to get it in gear. That's all time wasted that could be avoided by simply DRIVING in the proper gear.

People saying automatic drivers are lazy and dangerous, but I've met just as many manual drivers who have really lazy, stupid habits too.
>>
>>14694696
Yeah, not downshifting.
>>
>>14694709

because they're fucking retards who shouldn't have a licence, obviously.

i love when half of them jump into the right lane at an intersection to use it as a passing lane, then slow right the fuck down and fart along past the intersection. faggots.
>>
>>14694713
Eh, you're right. I could actually see it being somewhat more dangerous in this situation.
But how am I going to get my delicious 60MPG US in muh Diesel shitbox?
>>
File: 1430401574920.jpg (714 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1430401574920.jpg
714 KB, 2048x1152
You can easily get away with dropping to neutral all the time, but imo everyone who drives manual should at least know how to revmatch into the proper gear for moments when you don't come to a full stop.

My cars a 6 speed and I used to drop gears 1 by one. now it's pretty easy to skip one gear and decide from there if you need to downshift or just come to a full stop. I pretty much always leave it in gear right until I lose the engine brake effectiveness

>>14694687
>tfw coasting hard and then never stopping
>>
>>14694734

Weight reduction brah, just rip out the rear and passenger seats, headliner, airbags, seatbelts, carpet, air-con, radio, and glass.
>>
>>14694448
>rev matching (bleeping the throttle) has no effect on your synchros

who said it did bitch
>>
>>14694752

>6 gears

so unnecessary. i hate how they just keep adding more and more gears to basic cars for MUH MPG's

5 speed is the GOAT, dat symmetrical shift pattern. 6 speed triggers me, and 7 is way too fucking much.
>>
>>14694335
This. I'm from the US but I've always subscribed to this principle of downshifting and didn't really realize there was so much discussion about it
>>
File: 90s.jpg (334 KB, 609x700) Image search: [Google]
90s.jpg
334 KB, 609x700
>>14694448

Rev matching reduces wear on synchromesh gears because it literally reduces the amount of rotation they have to match. They are designed to limit the difference between input and output rotation speeds, but simply dropping the clutch on a downshift isn't good for them.

>Driving along
>downshift from 5th to 4th
>push in clutch
>revs drop from 2100RPM to 700RPM
>move shifter to 4th
>blip throttle to bring revs up to ~2000
>release clutch pedal
>smooth shift

vs.

>revs drop from 2100RPM to 700RPM
>don't blip throttle
>synchros now forced to compensate for 1400RPM difference
>as opposed to 100-300RPM difference

You do the math, it's quite simple. Rev matching isn't NECESSARY in modern synchro cars, but it does prolong their lifespan.

Double clutching in a car with synchros is fully retarded and only boiracer niggers do that, because they can't rev match.
>>
File: 1418962880891.jpg (44 KB, 1087x569) Image search: [Google]
1418962880891.jpg
44 KB, 1087x569
>>14694783
just wait until gm comes out with their 9 speed manual corvette
>>
>>14694840

>9 speed manual

>shifting literally just becomes a fucking chore
>people start forgetting what fucking gear they're in
>gears 6-9 are never even used because muh displacement

GM's logic: MORE MOVING PARTS IS A GOOD THING.
>>
File: P1010061.jpg (143 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1010061.jpg
143 KB, 1024x768
>>14694774
Prefect.
I'll also finish my hot air intake
>>
I don't get how people can't Rev match. I just clutch, shift, Rev, then release clutch. There's no wheel locking, slowdown or anything. Perfect way to keep track of your gears as you slow down, and continue going if you don't need to stop
>>
>>14694607
depends on the situation I'd imagine
>>
>>14690969
in gear, the wheels are connected to the crankshaft, so it's forced to keep spinning
>>
6 speed z28 I just picked up, 1998. I'm afraid I'm going to shift into reverse instead of 5th one day. How do I prevent this?
>>
>>14695016
While the car is off practice moving the gear shifter. Get a feel for it. Also reverse is hard/impossible to shift into for some cars while moving. Not sure about yours
>>
>>14690969
FLAT EARTH
L
A
T

E
A
R
T
H
>>
>>14694783
It depends on the car. I have a 5-speed CR-V and I've always said how I'd enjoy it so much more if it had one more gear on the high end since I end up in the low- to mid-3,000 rpm range on highways, but that's mainly because the gear ratios (dunno if that's the right term) seem to be weird on older Hondas (the gearing being generally the same between the '04 and '98 CR-V's that I've driven).

Other manuals I've driven have been better on RPMs on the highway and it isn't nearly as necessary for a 6th gear.
>>
>>14695197
That's the right turn
>>
>>14691033
I've never heard of a car that does this. It seems like the kind of thing /o/ would frown upon, like training wheels
>>
>>14691103
>600 rpm
That sounds horrifying
>>
>>14694709
I see this kind of behaviour all the time and it drives me nuts. Does nobody care about their brakes?
>>
>>14695375
They're most likely all leasing their cars.
>>
>>14695375
no people are dumbasses

my friend works at a dealer and he says people often come in complaining about sport model cars brakes squealing. instead of replacing them with the same sport model pads they're told to put lower model pads on because they last longer and the customers don't know the difference

>mfw people out there literally buying the top model sport trim and just use them to daily and slam on the brakes all day in traffic
>>
>have motorcycle
>rev match erry downshift
>have saab with manual
>rev match almost erry downshift
>ride in car with kid that just bought his focus St a month ago
>is a manual and has fucking leds scattered around the car
>drives it nicely
>ok fine whatever
>coasts in neutral everytime he stops
>wtf kid
>full 50‰ mad
>>
>>14694591
kek my civic turns 3600 to make 120kmh
>>
>>14694856
some semis have 18 gears
get gud fgt
>>
>>14695421
This guy gets it.
>>
>>14695421
To be honest, when I first learned to drive I never got any instruction on downshifting, rev matching, or any of the real intricacies of manual that most people should know. Driver's Ed, at least at my school doesn't even touch manuals anymore, and my parents only knew how to drive and shift comfortably without grinding gears. They never taught me, so I never even knew that those techniques existed.

Once I started getting more technically inclined, I practiced and picked up the skills, but because of my history I tend not to blame younger manual drivers for ignorance and treat it as a learning experience to get them going on some new and useful techniques.

That being said, If they refuse to learn or are self-proclaimed "car guy" douches whose only experience with cars is through FnF, then they're fuckheads who shouldn't own a manual.
>>
>>14695421
>Drive an 86 Honda Shadow V-Twin
>Always see sport bikes Rev matching on downshifts, decide to try it out
>Works fine, can even clutch less shift, but gearbox is pretty clunky, plus heavy driveshaft
>Worth it?
>>
Downshifting is really bad for your engine and everyone here pretends to like it and hail it as the best thing ever in order to trick outsiders into downshifting their own cars and destroying their engine.
>>
if you're just in street traffic who gives a fuck? Brake pads are like $30, and if you're coasting you'll never be hitting them when you're going fast, you just need them to finish the job of coming to a stop.

unless you're doing something dumb, or at a track day there's no point in actually downshifting.
>>
>>14695620
This fucking guy, thanks for ruining it asshole.
>>
File: 1408781819930s.jpg (10 KB, 187x249) Image search: [Google]
1408781819930s.jpg
10 KB, 187x249
>>14695626
>no point to down shifting
>he has to stop if he wants to speed up again.
>>
>>14695654
I just coast in neutral until it's time to go, then based on road speed and having driven my car more than 8 minutes I know what gear I want to put it in, then I'll bump the throttle and put it in gear.

But I'm not going to click through every fucking gear on the way down, why would I?
>>
File: _20160323_150925.jpg (159 KB, 1080x870) Image search: [Google]
_20160323_150925.jpg
159 KB, 1080x870
This is how Reddit changes gears everybody.
>>
>>14695686
Just release the gear. Just let it go from your car and you transcend downshifting entirely.
>>
>>14695345
I've got a manual '02 Rav4 that does this. Had to go look it up to see that it was normal behavior because my last 2 manual cars didn't do that.
>>
>>14690626
My car (DCT) keeps rpm between 1300-1700 when not flooring it. Highly doubt that's bad.
>>
>>14695620
> downshifting is bad for your engine
> revving is bad for your engine
kek
>>
>>14690641
>guaranteed 0 replies

What this anon is correct. In Neutral you need fuel to keep the engine turning.

When rolling in gear the cars momentum keeps the engine spinnging without using fuel.

Not reving for your downshifts puts a bit of extra stress on your clutch and gearbox. Should you do it? Yes. Is it that big of an issue? Not really

NOt using engine braking will just cost you extra in terms of brake pad and disc maintainance.
>>
File: 1458499796844.jpg (189 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1458499796844.jpg
189 KB, 800x600
>>14692185
this.
I let go to neutral in 4th or 3rd though, almost never in 5th
>>
>>14694809
no, no, no.

That's not how a gearbox works. You have to clutch in neutral in order to make the secondary axle spin. If you just blip the throttle, you're making your primary axle match the wheels speed but your secondary axle will still be at low speed... Synchros will still eat dirt, you'll only preserve clutch disc.

Plus you'll wear out your clutch bearings doing that

T. industrial designer
>>
Why do Muricans have so much trouble with manuals? Is it because they are dumb or because they are stupid and dumb?

Learn how to heel and toe my dear american fat-fucks.
>>
>>14697759
Our roads are retarded here. Seriously.
>>
>>14697759
you do realize that most cars a stick in murica, right? We have to learn how to use manual on our own unless you are one of the few whose parents drive stick and taught them like me. give the guy a break and stop being a fuckwit, at least he is trying.
>>
>>14699685
i mean automatic, not stick
>>
>>14699685
Learning anything is easy as fuck these days. Practically everyone has access to the Internet, the best resource in history.
>>
>>14695609
I started by practicing on my dad's Goldwing gl1500. It wasn't hard, just drag the rear brake while practicing on it until you get gud. It doesn't matter how heavy the driveshaft is.
>>
>>14690587
It's illegal to do that in the UK, no use of engine breaking and going into neutral makes the car speed up, plus the fact you're using just the breaks and no gearing to stop, it's a failure on a driving test also
>>
>>14701518
Curious, you're the only guy in this thread to spell 'braking' incorrectly.

>Going into neutral makes the car speed up

Oh.
>>
>>14701518
> going into neutral makes the car speed up
lel
>>
>>14701739
he is a brit. its different
>>
>>14701739
>>14701854
dont be cunts, you know what hes on about
>>
>>14692222
i think the quads say your right wise man
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.