[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doing up my cruiser
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: current.jpg (63 KB, 737x297) Image search: [Google]
current.jpg
63 KB, 737x297
Any fellow cruiser owners out there done up their ute?
I got a 2012 79 Series Landcruiser just the other day (got 50k on her)
Looking to do her up.My previous one I had done a bit here and there.
Already got a DPU chip in her and am going to get a 4 inch exhaust.
The plan is to lift her and put her on 37 inch tyres.
Just after any recomendation on how high I should go.I was going to go 5 inch lift kit as I live in the NT and often go out in the mud/bush bashing.
I got mates who think 3 inches is enough and I got mates who say fuck it go 5.
Just seeing if anyone has an opinion on here.
(Usually browse /Pol,/Fit,/Co and /Tv)
Moneys not too much of an issue I make good coin and now that ive bought a house and already married ive got money to spend.
pic related.looks much the same as this except has bullbar and whinch already
>>
>>14640754
I'm not into 4WD's but I do occasionally read the 4WD and camper magazines. I'd recommend picking a few of those up, the ideas those guys come up with a properly ingenuous and very creative.
>>
You should be looking at how you want the suspension to perform and what you want it to achieve (payload, travel etc) before you get too preoccupied with overall ride height gain. That said, there's not too much to be gained with the leaf rear end without having dropped mounts fabricated. My advice is to aim for ~2-3" overall by way of springs and extended shackles if need be, ply whatever coils up front and springs to match.
>The plan is to lift her and put her on 37 inch tyres.
Prepare your anus for constant steering componentry replacement and rear floating axle locating studs shearing off. Honestly, I would stick with 33" if it's a road going rig. Bigger than 35" is a pain in the ass, regardless if it fits.
>>
Another question OP, did you get the Workmate or the GXL?
>>
Mate I'm so jealous you got a landy.

I want a landy too, but can't afford it (family, single income while wife studies, and saving for house) but also can't justify for the two or three times a year I actually go innawoods
>>
>>14641001
>referring to a Land Cruiser as a "Landy"
This is bait right?
>>
>>14640987
i got the workmate
>>
>>14640945
she would be half road
half off road
I kinda want the extra height cos im a tall batard (6'8 130kgs) and always wanted a bigger rig
>>
>>14641001
I live in Darwin.I go out bush for work everyday.For me its practical
>>
File: matesute.jpg (149 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
matesute.jpg
149 KB, 960x720
this my mates ute.
His is on 5 inch lift with 35s
goes sick
>>
>>14641041
So, you're looking at blowing all this money on showy shit, but didn't get the model with factory diff locks standard? Does your Workmate at least have the option fitted?
>>14641087
They "go sick" standard.
>>
>>14641113

I got her 2nd hand
I work in mud,with grease and oils
i dont want carpet floors or electric windows.
I come home covered in shit 6 nights a week.the workmates are easier to clean
>>
>>14641133
You still would've been better off with a GXL an retro fitting a Workmate interior. You'd get the locking diffs an wide alloys in one go.
Did it come with the diff lock option fitted? If not, a set of e-lockers or air lockers would be first port of call.
They'll get you further into the bush than a superficial height increase. And good set of mid terrains for wet season assurance.
Then get an idea of what sort of performance you need out of the suspension.
>>
>>14641148
>mid terrains
Mud terrains*
Fuck you phone.
>>
You want a 3" lift with 35s if you're not a faggot just after showing off, too many issues with steering and general suspension geometry fuckery when going higher and bigger.

Your next goal is to invest in large, quality skid plates underneath everything and then after that only add weight when it's actually needed.
No retardedly big bull bar, no massive cargo boxes.
Weight is your enemy when dealing with soft squishy shit, so keep things as light as you can while adding the functions you need.
LED light bars are for faggots, you get 2 quality little LED spotlights to do the same job with none of the rice, weight, drag or space taken.
>>
>>14641148
going to be getting Detroit E locker in the front.then eventually will go for them in the back too.
prob gonna go 20 inch,wide alloys and get some mid terrains.Had micky thompsons on my previous cruiser they did a good job.just want bigger ones this time around.
Where I work 9 out of 12 fellas have some kind of cruiser so always get good tips from them.
Cheers for all ya advice so far mate
>>
>>14641186
haha mine did it too
*mud not mid
>>
>>14641173
>>14641173
ive got the bash plates off my old cruiser already
was the first thing i did on my last one
got my spottys off my old one too
>>
>>14641186
No dramas.
>>14641173
While you make some good points, you're severely underestimating how important front end protection is up here. Especially once you cross into cattle grid country.
And those storage boxes serve a purpose. Not everybody's idea of off-roading is taking day trips in a jeep.
>>
>>14641202
Unless your bar is mounted directly to the frame and is built extremely strongly, it won't help for shit if you hit a cow.
For roos and similar you just need something that protects most bits and is fairly strong, none of those massive hang-halfway into the other lane bullshit ones with 500 spotty mounts and fishing rod attachments.

And steel tray mounted boxes are shit. If you actually go anywhere you can use portable boxes and tie them down like you're not a spack combined with cargo nets, when all you're doing is fucking around in the mud or on a beach they do nothing but worsen the experience.
>>
>>14641408
>Unless your bar is mounted directly to the frame and is built extremely strongly
How the hell do you think aftermarket bars are made and mounted?
The Porta boxes are great for the occaisional trip, but from what it seems OP works out of their truck. In which lockable metal boxes are a godsend. Steel tray mounted boxes on the back of a Landcruiser ute makes a bees-dick of a difference in terms of offroading performance.
>>
>>14641450
Shittily, in 99% of cases.

If he works out of it he'll have a shitton of equipment going onto the back of it, that advice was for if you're setting it up to go offroad alone, not for work. There's no real way to make a decent sized generator light.
>>
>>14641486
>If he works out of it he'll have a shitton of equipment going onto the back of it
Like stuff that'll fit into the toolboxes?
>that advice was for if you're setting it up to go offroad alone, not for work
That's literally the target market for 70 series Landcruisers. Vehicles that can traverse severe conditions whilst carrying a payload.
Again, not everybody's definition of offroading is point to point rock crawling in buggies.
>>
>>14641408
Coming from someone who doesn't know how to mount a bullbar...
u r a expert
>>
Look up the Belgian couple that took a 70 series troop carrier through the Congo with open diffs, no flashy shit and 1.5 tons of payload.

The only thing they said they wished they had was a winch
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.