[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Truck problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160124_121650.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_121650.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but does anyone have any ideas as to why my truck won't start and stalls when I come to a stop? 1995 GMC k1500, just have no idea how to narrow it down to a diagnosis and can use all the help I can get
>>
>>14621213
More information needed.

-transmission type
-fuel system type

Does it stall on hard braking while in neutral?

Get some speed, throw it in neutral, brake firmly, post results.
>>
4l60e transmission, TBI system, and I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow as its too late where I live
>>
>>14621266
Def post back what you find out after doing that.

Could be a few things.

Go through the vacuum system.
Check that the engine can maintain idle under load while parked (throw on lights, ac, stereo, turn the wheels lock to lock etc).

The engine should increase speed to compensate when doing these things.

If not any of those, move on to the transmission.

Don't know much about the autos in these trucks, but there are a few more connections to the engine systems than on a manual.

Transmission might not be disengaging fast enough when stopping.

When it stalls does it lurch forward like if you stalled a manual? Or just putter out?
>>
I'll do some research on vacuum systems. It just putters out and rolls to a stop when it stalls. Radio keeps running and everything, engine just drops to 0 RPM out of nowhere it seems like. Sometimes it stalls right after I start it and sometimes it doesn't stall at all. Also it won't always turn over but it does always crank.
>>
>>14621314
My case was a bad distributor.
My wife's car had a similar issue though, turned out to be the camshaft postioning sensor. Wasn't that bad to get too.
>>
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me
>>
>>14621213
Replace fuel filter, check any sensors you may have, could be as simple and stupid as a bad gas cap, check for vac leaks as others said. Give us some more information, did this just start out of nowhere? Gradually got worse? Do any recent work or make any changes to anything?
>>
Fuel pump (unlikely), fuel filter, MAF sensor, crank position sensor, cam position sensor.
Testing the MAF is easy, if it's bad your car will run better with it unplugged.
>>
Tried the hard braking and neutral thing, didn't stall. I fired it up this morning with no issues and took it around the block and it ran fine, parked it in the driveway, turned it off, tried to turn it back on but it won't turn on again. Fuel pump and sender and filter all recently replaced like in the last 6 months. The engine idle didn't change when I turned on all the electronics and I have 2 ten inch subs so they suck a lot of power.
>>
I'd suspect fuel. Hows the ground for the fuel pump on the frame? I had issues with my '97 S10 stalling out. Cleaned up the corroded connections to the fuel pump and that seemed to fix my issue.
After you clean the connections do these things:
>Check fuel pressure
>Replace fuel filter
>Check fuel pressure again

Also this OP >>14622080 it could be anything, it's hard for us to diagnose over the internet.
When you say putter out is it gradually over 5 - 10 seconds or is it sudden?
>>
It's sudden when it dies. Running one second, not running the next. I know it's a bit difficult to diagnose on the internet, but I haven't got the cash to put it in a shop for three days while they try to figure it out. I'm giving as much information as I can to you guys to try to narrow it down to around 5 things to check, because right now it could be a thousand things. The engine floods pretty quick if its not starting, I don't want to crank it too much if it doesn't want to
>>
>>14623578
I had a 97 Suburban that liked to shut off while I was doing 70 mph on the highway

fun times

it was the fuel pump in my case, apparently pretty common with these chebbies
>>
>>14623578
Even if you have to change the fuel pump or something else, these trucks are easy as shit to work on. Don't take it to a shop.
>>
>>14623838
>Even if you have to change the fuel pump

Dropping a tank with 20-40 gallons inside doesn't seem all that easy
>>
>>14624513
Screw that, I'd sooner take the bed off to do it than drop a full tank to replace a pump.
>>
>>14622080
Maf...on tbi. You new?
>>
>>14624770

This

Back in my day we used to take the bed off with one guy and some logs for levers. If you have a buddy to help it should be EZ mode.

Seriously fuck dropping the tank
>>
My 93 did this for a while. Try replacing the pickup coil inside the distributor. Its like a 20$ part i think.
>>
>>14621213
A '95 will be OBDII, if you pull codes it might at least rule some things out.
My money is on a funky cam or crank sensor, it's really easy to $hotgun parts at things like this, a cheap code-reader and the internet can save you a lot of time and money.
>>
>>14621213
Hey, before you go spending a bunch of money, try unplugging the line on the EGR. I have a '90 c1500 and that fixed my idling problem. It doesn't hurt anything, it's free and easy to do. Give it a shot and let's us know what happens!

Oh and you might have to feather the throttle upon startup... At least I do anyways
>>
>>14621213

Will it start if you hold the throttle down? If yes you have a fuel delivery problem.
>>
>>14629711

Oh ya

>1995

Whens the last time the fuel pump was changed, if ever? Old fuel pumps don't like all the shit they add to gasoline now, and older fuel pumps have a harder time with them, and normally can't make enough pressure after time.
>>
Bumparoo
>>
>>14621213
Check that all of the engine grounds are tight. Have 97' Chevy 1500 and a couple years ago it did something similar. Checked everything twice could figure it out finally dropped it at a dealer hour later was running fine. Was a ground somewhere on the drives side that came loose.
>>
>>14621213
sounds like a float issue
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.