[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When are smart traffic lights going to be become a thing for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1455859425012.png (2 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1455859425012.png
2 MB, 2048x2048
When are smart traffic lights going to be become a thing for rural areas? All too often I'll be driving and the light turns yellow and I'll have to stop and wait several minutes. And I think to myself god damn there's not another car traveling in my same direction for several hundred yards, the damn light should have noticed that and just fucking stayed green for a few seconds longer so I could have had time to make it through the yellow. Truly this would be more efficient.
>>
stop being a puss

treat them like a stop sign
>>
>>14546789
Depends on where you live.

Where I live, these lights are common. They'll skip the left turn phase if there's nobody in the left turning lanes. They'll even remain green in one direction if there's nobody waiting in the other.

There's one annoying thing about them though. When they fuck up. The weight sensing ones are the worst. If you're driving a light car they sometimes don't notice you're there, and then you're stuck at an eternal red light.

There are tricks though. Back up, brake hard, accelerate, brake hard. Anything to get the damn thing to notice you're there.
>>
>>14546809
Heres a trick, run it.
>>
>>14546844
after living in a city with a stupid timer based traffic light system for 14 months. I am now so pissed off with having my time wasted I run reds everyday.
Don't get me started on pedestrian controlled lights for cross walks.
If you can't tell whether its safe to cross the road or not you shouldn't be allowed out of the house.
Retards.
>>
>>14546844
>Heres a trick, run it.
I can tell you haven't been to Melbourne, Australia.
>Literally every single controlled intersection has a red light camera
>>
>>14546809
Kek, shits even worse for motorcycles
>>
>>14546882
also from Melbourne, we are lucky because all of our intersections do have sensors, hence why you never really get stopped by a yellow when nobody else is around
>>
>>14546895
South Carolina actually passed a law a couple years ago saying that if you're on a motorcycle and your light is been red for 2 minutes you can run it as long as there's no cross traffic.
>>
>>14546877
I have the same issues with the timers in New Orleans. Whatever retarded engineer set these hasn't updated them with the massive surge of niggers that moved back since Katrina. Far too often the light you are stopped at will turn red again before you can get past it. Way too many lights are set up to turn red immediately after the preceding light turns green causing horrible stop and go and makes alot of people end up stuck in an intersection.
>>
>>14546789
There is a light near my house that will turn green with green turn arrow despite the fact that I a the only car there and wanting to go the opposite direction. It will then completely skip my side turning green and force me to wait an entire cycle to go through.

I can't run it because it is a populated area with people and businesses everywhere.
>>
File: 1422559748753.jpg (123 KB, 962x642) Image search: [Google]
1422559748753.jpg
123 KB, 962x642
>>14547021
>Far too often the light you are stopped at will turn red again before you can get past it.
I can only imagine... I guess it's not all bad living in the middle of nowhere.
>>
in the midwest, the light turns red when you're approaching, and when there's no traffic on the other road that it's going green for. not to annoy you, but because if you live in the midwest you're probably drunk and if you don't stop at a red light you're too drunk to drive then
>>
>>14547040
>in the midwest, the light turns red when you're approaching, and when there's no traffic on the other road that it's going green for. not to annoy you, but because fuck you.
Amended for in case you're sober.
>>
>>14546877
The pedestrian lights are to inform drivers that the pedestrians have the right of way
>>
>>14546789
reminds me of those driving rugs from when I was little
>>
>>14546895
>>14546995

i actually had to get off my bike and push the pedestrian button at a busy intersection once :\
>>
>>14546789

This looks like a map from Grand Theft Auto 1. Liberty City?
>>
>>14547401
vice city, had more of the ghetto than the actual beach
>>
>>14546995
This, in Washington state, lights that do not change for motorcycles are officially considered "malfunctioning" and thus are legally 4-way stops.
>>
>>14547192
I always do this on the Main Street in Auckland. Pedestrian phases are faster and last longer so I get off my bike and push it through
>>
>>14546809
I don't think I've ever seen a weigh sensing one here. They're all the magnetic field loops here. I've heard you just a couple of strong magnets on the bottom of your bike and it'll sense them no problem.
>>
I hate the mongoloid lights that will turn red for you when there are literally no other cars in any other direction for miles
>>
File: 8lpT4EPaZtqOPqg31o6E7g_r.jpg (51 KB, 499x700) Image search: [Google]
8lpT4EPaZtqOPqg31o6E7g_r.jpg
51 KB, 499x700
>>14547861
Oh fuck no.
>>
>live in rural area
>traffic lights take fucking forever, so people use them like stop signs and run them if clear
>police take notice of this
>spend millions of dollars to install red light cams, and park cruisers at each light
>instead of fixing the lights, they spend millions of dollars we can't afford just to pull people over
...and yet cops still wonder why the general populace doesn't like them.
>>
>>14547069
I know what they're for and I don't give a shit.
I see these dumb cunts stroll up to the crossing with no traffic,
push the button, and stand there like a twat when they could just cross the fucking road like a normal human bean.
So the car than was 400 yards down the road gets to the crossing and is forced to stop at a red light.
All because spastics need a little green man to tell them they are allowed to cross the fucking road.
Seriously, take some fucking responsibility.
>>
>>14546809
They don't sense weight, they sense the EM field produced by the car, usually they don't sense motorcycles or small cars, and sometimes they're programmed to not do anything unless there is more than one person waiting.
>>
>>14548310
They've done this where I live too.
Well they don't park police cars there, but they have cameras to stop people running reds instead of just fixing the lights.

Its unfucking believable desu.
If it where up to me I'd turn off 90% of the lights and only switch them on when they're needed. like during the busy times.
I'd also pay some cunt to design a proper switching system.
I know they can model shit like that, theres no reason for it, just a waste of my god damn time.

I should invoice the council for my time when I'm stuck in traffic because of their shit fucking traffic shit cunt wanker nigger twat arse fuck cunt.
>>
>>14548373
Dude they're just doing the right thing. What if they were blind
>>
>>14548373
Dude you do realize the vast majority of those little buttons at crosswalks don't actually do anything, don't you?
>>
>>14546789
They are here in the UK. Various sets of lights detect cars and change in time.

OP, you need to learn the timings.
>>
GTA for Gameboy map?
>>
>>14548310
It's America, isn't it? Shoot the lights out. Use your freedoms. Enough times replacing the bulbs, housing, poles, and the like will teach them.
>>
>>14546789

Why don't you just floor is as it's about to turn red? Let me guess you're one of those people who think crawling around saves gas? Learn to sync up light cycles or stop driving so slow.
>>
>>14546789
Usually if I'm going straight on some intersections if the light is taking forever I'll just cut right, make a right on red, turn around, and make another right on red and I'll usually beat the fucking light.
>>
>>14546789
Not sure what city you live in, but I think we have these traffic lights here that will turn red on purpose as you're about to come to pass it around nights. I was told they do that to try and stop speeders or some shit like that. Not sure how true that is. We have a lot of traffic lights that use a camera instead of weight sensors.
>>
File: TM54977.jpg (41 KB, 615x923) Image search: [Google]
TM54977.jpg
41 KB, 615x923
here in the UK most rural traffic lights have a light sensor on top.

usually it counts headlights and is set for either a 1 , 3 or 5 car count.

thats ok during the day but at night it can take too fuckin long for a third or fifth car to arrive behind you.

pro-tip: these lights are also set to change if they detect an emergengy vehicle, so flash your lights at it as you approach and they'll change as you get closer.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.