[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how are German brands compared to the competition? like reliability
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 539x539) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 539x539
how are German brands compared to the competition?
like reliability and longevity
I'd get a German car but I hear they aren't as reliable and are more expensive to keep and maintain
>>
>>14141477
Less reliable
More expensive
Offers nothing worthwhile you can't get cheaper that will last longer from the likes of Lexus or Cadillac.

German cars start calling apart from the most simple mechanisms after only a few years.
Door/window electrical contacts and switches will fail causing you to have to buy the entire "door module" for $500 and tear apart the entire door. Some random "seat" sensor will go out lighting up your dashboard that will cost $1000 to fix.

If you ant one, fine. But get it under a bumper to bumper warranty and sell it before the warranty is up.
>>
My 944 has given me nothing but problems, Porsche parts aren't cheap either.
>>
>>14141477
>>14141613
>but I hear they aren't as reliable
some old bmws and mercs were long lasting machines. simpler VWs with DI engines (before, say, 2010) can go on for quite a while if maintenance is proper. I'm in the market for any sDI VAG plebmobile right now. opel claims to be german but it's shit. don't trust audi too much either.
>>
File: b1NIPz5.gif (2 MB, 530x279) Image search: [Google]
b1NIPz5.gif
2 MB, 530x279
>>14141613
>German cars start calling apart from the most simple mechanisms after only a few years.
>>
File: IMG_20130305_160631.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130305_160631.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>14141641
>simpler VWs with DI engines (before, say, 2010) can go on for quite a while if maintenance is proper.

Lel. I had a 2008 GTI.

High pressure fuel pump wore through the follower at 64,000 miles. Fucked the pump and the cam. New pump/follower and new cam plus labor. $2800

Valve came apart at 86000 miles and ground a groove into the block. Pic related. Also, when the head was removed the combustion chamber was caked with carbon buildup. VW tech said this si typical of the DI TSI/FSI motors. Pic related.
Needed a new motor out of warranty. $8400 installed.

Then the transmission spun a bearing at 100,000 miles. I just sold the car as scrap.

Car was stock, taken care of, and not beaten on, replaced the motor oil more often that their retarded 10,000 mile intervals (every 5-6000 miles with VW approved oil)

And this isn't counting all the little shit that went wrong.
>>
Most German cars are overhyped because MUH ENGINEERING, but some are actually pretty good. Buying one outside of Europe is pretty useless though, because thats the only place they are dirt cheap.
>>
>>14141613
>wrong
>>14141701
>wrong

>>14141477
you both haave to idea what you are talking about, ok please shut up the fuck up now i can talk to op
german cars are more reliable than any cardboard nissan or plastic amercan cars, dont let idiots asshles tell you tellaren't. yes, i admit i yes i know yes they aremore money to fix but they worth it. more powerful than any japanshit, ok? more like if you understand yes the porblems you own on i like do you wouldnt no not regret it op.
>>
>>14141802
>Mercedes
>bmw
>fiat
>reliable
Kek
>>
>>14141802

Hellatyte opinion u got there, breh
>>
File: IMG_20130305_160624.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130305_160624.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>14141802
How are you going to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about? I lived it retard.

This is a $27,000 German car that mechanically shit the bed THREE times before 100,000 miles. It also had stupid problems like the radio head unit shorted out (under warranty) and I had to replace a $500 "door module" for the back drivers side door out of warranty because inside of it a small switch failed and made it so I couldn't lock my cars doors. Like at all.

A co-worker has a '10 5 series that is out of warranty. It was in the shop for two months because a seat airbag sensor went out and the BMW techs couldn't figure out which it was. That sensor tripped a check engine light and an airbag light on the dash. Cost him a couple grand before it was finally worked out.

And how about the e46's who's rear subframe literally falls apart under spirited driving and BMW's fix was to glue that shit together.

Or how about the air ride on Mercedes' that shits the bed and costs like $2000 per strut.

Should I even mention BMW and their VANOS clusterfucks?

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>14141802
>Autism at its finest.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_133413293_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_133413293_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>14141852
As someone who owns a personal fleet of old Mercs, let me tell you that your problem is that you bought a VW OP.

>A co-worker has a '10 5 series that is out of warranty. It was in the shop for two months because a seat airbag sensor went out and the BMW techs couldn't figure out which it was

Your friend either dealt with the dumbest BMW tech on the planet, or just let himself get ripped off. The ECU logging in german cars is so detailed, if it was a seat senor, they would have known exactly which one it was the first time they hooked a scan tool to it. My 2001 E Class even logs what sensor trips the fucking car alarm (pic related)

Grandfather has a 2006 E Class with air ride that he bought new. The only time it's ever had a problem is when he went full 90 year old man and ran over a parking divider going 35 and wrecked the strut. It cost 400 dollars for a brand fucking new one, and my father and I changed it in his garage in 2 hours. Outside suffering the driving the habits of an old man, that car has never had an issue, and the air ride has never had an issue outside that self inflicted injury

Fuck, my ML 430 was beat on HARD by it's previous owner, and it fucking runs flawlessly. My SLK 350 has 170,000 miles on it, and I've had ZERO faults. None. Nothing.

Can old german cars turn into money pits if you buy one that was ragged on? Absolutely. Are most VW's pieces of shit? Again, absolutely. But don't generalize against an entire sector of cars just because you had one shitty experience bro
>>
>>14141852
ok fuck you, ok? ok?
number one you are idiot.
number two its your are fault car was broken everytime. hahayou are so dumb, ok?
number four. if you shit on car, car shit on you. thats why.
number five. i don not care about your friends cars, ok? they were probably bad on cars like you on yours.
i cant even tell how much of a big asshole iodiot you are, ok? go back to your shitty ricefield
>>
File: dudewhat.jpg (44 KB, 445x799) Image search: [Google]
dudewhat.jpg
44 KB, 445x799
>>14141701
>VW tech said this si typical of the DI TSI/FSI motors.
>I'm too stupid to work on my cars so I take it to the official service
>GTI
>diesel
>buying any golf after the mkIV
>carbon buildup in a car this new is somewhat unexpected
the list goes on. why are you even here?
>>
>>14141910
>Your friend either dealt with the dumbest BMW tech on the planet, or just let himself get ripped off. The ECU logging in german cars is so detailed, if it was a seat senor, they would have known exactly which one it was the first time they hooked a scan tool to it. My 2001 E Class even logs what sensor trips the fucking car alarm (pic related)

Funny part is it did tell them what the "problem was" and they replaced it. And it continued to throw the same code.

>Grandfather has a 2006 E Class with air ride that he bought new. The only time it's ever had a problem is when he went full 90 year old man and ran over a parking divider going 35 and wrecked the strut. It cost 400 dollars for a brand fucking new one, and my father and I changed it in his garage in 2 hours. Outside suffering the driving the habits of an old man, that car has never had an issue, and the air ride has never had an issue outside that self inflicted injury

Then you used some Chinese or reman shit. The OE replacement struts are not that cheap.

>>14141926
As I said, the car was stock, and taken care of BETTER than VW recommends.
Nothing I could have done would have stopped the HPFP from failing, the valvetrain from failing, the carbon from building up, or the transmission from failing. Unless I just didn't drive it. Which is pretty much the only way a German car is reliable.

Again, you're an idiot.
>>
>>14141964
>Nothing I could have done would have stopped [...] the carbon from building up
>Again, you're an idiot.
>>
>>14141947
>>I'm too stupid to work on my cars so I take it to the official service

I'm not going to tear down a near brand new car. I have a job, I don't have time for that bullshit, and I'm not a mexican. I can afford to pay someone else to deal with this shit instead of eating up my weekend trying to figure out why my German car decided to shit the bed, only to find out it needed a new motor. Then having an immobile car that I gotta swap an engine into in my garage.

This wasn't a project car, it was a stock commuter car that had 86,000 easy miles on it.

>>GTI
>diesel
It wasn't a diesel retard. It was a DI FSI GTI.

>>carbon buildup in a car this new is somewhat unexpected
No, the carbon buildup was determined to be a contributing factor to the valve failing. You see, VW (like BMW) hasn't figured out how to make a DI motor that can clean it's own ports/valve like a port injection motor can. So this carbon build up is common and causes the failure of the motor.

The cam/HPFP failure was pure and simple engineering failure. The flat tappet follower was a poor design and they redesigned the motor with a roller follower with the TSI redesign.

The transmission failing, I didn't even pull it apart. I was so sick of that car. But a simple manual transmission failing at that low of miles is inexcusable.
>>
>>14141998
>>Nothing I could have done would have stopped [...] the carbon from building up
Do tell what exactly could be done other than tearing the motor down and pulling off the head intermittently to scrape the carbon off the valves/ports?

Some people now go so far as to pour seafoam into the running motor to try and clean the carbon because these motors were so poorly designed. It doesn't work.

You're an idiot.
>>
There`s only one thing this thread proves and its that germancarfags are the most delusional fags around.

Not even boomers... even hellatyte swagfags are this delusional.
>>
File: airbag.png (197 KB, 1196x690) Image search: [Google]
airbag.png
197 KB, 1196x690
>>14141964
>Funny part is it did tell them what the "problem was" and they replaced it. And it continued to throw the same code.

Again, either the tech was a retard, or the dealership took him for a ride.

>Oh yes Mr. Derp, we replaced the sensor the computer told us was bad, but it didn't fix the problem, now we need to replace them all, is that ok?

Because that's a tactic that's never been used by any dealership service department anywhere. The pressure sensor in each seat is wired on it's own circuit. Even if you ran into some crazy 1 in a million one off where the ECU reported the wrong cruit as open, the tech could have checked the system with a fucking multimeter in 10 minutes to figure out which loop was shorted open

>A co-worker has a '10 5 series that is out of warranty
Nope, it was brand new OEM, it just didn't have 'official mercedes part' logos on it. You would only ever pay 2 grand if you were stupid enough to buy the strut from the dealer. Mercedes doesn't make the air struts bro, you can buy the OEM strut from one of several dozen places online, the only difference being it won't have mercedes logos stamped all over it

Fucking remanufactured struts are 250-ish now (again pic related), and only getting cheaper.

>>14142014
again, come talk to me about reliability and cost of ownership when you've owned and kept up over a dozen of them anon
>>
>>14141477
If you buy a N/A German car, especially a 6cyl in a Merc or BMW, the engine should run great for 250k miles.

The problem is when you get into luxury brands with lots of options. When non-necessary shit breaks, if you can't find a used or aftermarket replacement, OEM parts can get pricey. Even for dumb little stuff.

But that is the same for lots of American cars too. If something mechanical breaks, you can go to VatoZone and grap a Duralast whatever. But when something real particular breaks, it will cost a bit and you have to order it from a dealer. This happened with the rear window hinge on my car, nobody but Ferd makes the part and they want ~$100 for a little hinge.
>>
>>14141999
>It wasn't a diesel retard. It was a DI FSI GTI.
>DI as in sDI or TDI
>trusting VWs dealership mechanic services
I can see the sparkplugs, I'm not as stupid as you are. I was talking about diesel direct injection engines, especially non turbo, and you replied with a GTI mkV.
>>14142012
>Do tell what exactly
floor it. especially in petrol engines. nigga that's a basic.

golf mkVs are shit. mkIVs and IIIs are great, even in petrol format. Vag has made some really nice SDI and TDI engines from like 95-2005 (dates source: my ass).

>>14142014
>germancarfags are the most delusional fags around.
if they try to defend german cars from the last, say, 10 years, yes, they'd be quite delusional. a classmate's dad has a v10 bmw autotragic with half a dozen electrical gremlins. he still talks wonders about it.
>>
I own an '07 A3 Sportback, 1.9 TDI with 160.000 KM
It's a shitbox but I've never had any problems whatsoever and the only expenses were maintenance or consumables
>>
File: 0000000.png (327 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
0000000.png
327 KB, 500x652
>>14141631
>buys an old ass porsche with no money to maintain it
>it's somehow the cars fault
>>
>>14142050
With Mercedes, you really only run into non-essentials being an issue on Chrysler era cars, or first-model-year-of-a-new-generation cars.

I ran into that same kind of parts bullshit with my wife's old Blazer. The little bulb in the instrument cluster for the check engine light died, and because of that, it wouldn't pass inspection. GM dealership wanted 35 fucking dollars for the bulb. I spent 4 days searching online cross referencing parts numbers until I found a bulb at NAPA that would work
>>
>>14142067
>>DI as in sDI or TDI
No, DI as in direct injection. As in the FSI and TSI GTi DI motors.

>I can see the sparkplugs, I'm not as stupid as you are. I was talking about diesel direct injection engines, especially non turbo, and you replied with a GTI mkV.
You are stupid if you think DI only refers to diesel motors.

You said DI VW motors and I posted my DI VW motor that fell apart.

>floor it. especially in petrol engines. nigga that's a basic.
You don't understand how a DI motor works.

There is no flow of fuel that is cleaning the ports and intake valves. There is a very real and documented problem with the VW gas DI motors and carbon buildup. I had a GTI. I didn't baby it everywhere. I had fun in it but didn't abuse it. I changed my oil more often that VW recommended and took care of the car. This carbon buildup is a problem with the engine's design. Just like the failing flat tappet follower and high pressure fuel pump on those motors.

>golf mkVs are shit. mkIVs and IIIs are great
MKV's have much nicer interior and amenities, which is why I bought it for a fun commuter car. The MK3/4's are shit on the inside and I wasn't looking to buy an old car.
>>
>>14142111

Should have chosen the not VAG route.
>>
>>14142111
>MKV's have much nicer interior and amenities, which is why I bought it for a fun commuter car
u dun goofed. Golfs went to shit after MK3/4
Also good on you for having the money but I think there are much nicer cars for the same price that aren't a rip-off with tacky interior and everything on the extras list
>>
Bottom line is nowadays any car you buy will be expensive to fix.

People have this idea in their head that German cars are inherently less reliable and/or more costly to fix, but let's be real, any car made in the last ten years is gonna cost a pretty penny to fix when something serious happens. Maybe 20 years ago comparing something from VW and something from Honda would net you a significant argument on their differences, but now there isn't much of a difference. Reliability, as much as /o/ and stubborn people with dated mindsets would disagree, has evened out among the big auto manufactures. What I mean by all of this that is on average a 2015 Honda Civic statistically with break down and cost as much to repair as much as a VW Golf will over its lifetime, in contrast to that 98 Civic which will run with water for oil and the 98 Golf which throws a fault code if a leaf hits the headlight. Now the repair bills and services won't be one for one but over the life of the car the difference will be negligible.

In a positive spin, we live in a golden age for new cars. Reliability evening out over the last few years means you can't go wrong buying a new or late model car, it really comes down to choice. Sure, you'll always have horror stories like our GTI bro above, but I'm sure if you dug you'll find someone with a Corolla who's had worse. The only caveat to this is research the model before hand; there isn't a general lack of quality with manufactures like there use to be (think Chrysler in the 80s) but some cars have common faults (like the new Jeep Cherokees with automatics made of wood and glass) which will show up with a little research.

I speak from experience having owned a 2003 VW Jetta with a 5 speed manual and the NA 2.0 engine for 4 years/60K miles (bought it at 90K) of trouble-free service and doing a ton of research into the current market before buying another VW.
>>
>>14142111
>There is a very real and documented problem with the VW gas DI motors and carbon buildup.
They've supposedly fixed that in the latest generation of DI engines.

You know, a little Seafoam and some elbow grease every 40K miles will stop harmful build up. It's not the best solution but it'll work.
>>
>>14142111
>MKV's have much nicer interior and amenities, which is why I bought it for a fun commuter car. The MK3/4's are shit on the inside and I wasn't looking to buy an old car.
>buy car for interior and amenities
>car known for being shit
>prior generation engines are know for being bretty gudd
>my car was shit
hahahahahahahaha oh god this it comedy gold
>You said DI VW motors
and then I specified sDI. also, I don't think it makes sense that someone referred to a kind of engine as "direct injection" engine since... pretty much every car since the late 90s has some form of direct injection.

as I said, VAG made some breddy gubb SDI and TDI engines a few years ago. any given specimen of the most reliable engine ever may shit the bed for reasons because fuck you shit happens.

your an fagget, you got what you asked for.
>>
>>14142213
Yes, in hindsight I should have bought a WRX. But they were ugly for those years.

Actually in hindsight I should have traded it for an 4x4 Ecoboost F150 before I had to put a motor in it. Back when those came out you could pick them up for $30,000 or so.

Now you can't get into one with equivalent options for less than like $47,000
>>
File: 2015 VDS Slide1_0.jpg (294 KB, 1358x960) Image search: [Google]
2015 VDS Slide1_0.jpg
294 KB, 1358x960
>>14142217
I would slightly disagree. you still have a pretty wide gap in reliability from the brands at the top vs the ones on the bottom

And as someone who worked around newer model used cars all the time, you still have some very real, very observable differences in build quality, reliability, and running costs
>>
>>14142251
>Ecoboost
The DI system in those motors is pretty bad for carbon build up, hate to tell you.
>>
>>14142099
>$200 in time to save $30
I also do this when angry
>>
>>14142217

Even though reliability has evened out more, some are still better than others. Some manufacturers get away with their bullshit because MUH BADGE and MUH HERITAGE. Koreans are now better than they used to be, yet others have become more subpar.
>>
>>14142245
>>car known for being shit
They weren't known for being shit in 2008. Not at all.
They were known for being heavier than the previous generation and a bunch of people sperged out about that but they had no reputation of being a shit car.

In fact the VW/Audi 2.0T was a Ward's Best engine in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.

You don't know what you're talking about.

> I don't think it makes sense that someone referred to a kind of engine as "direct injection"
You did before I did.

>pretty much every car since the late 90s has some form of direct injection.
Direct injection only really started catching on in gas motors in the mid 2000's

>your an fagget, you got what you asked for.
How exactly did I ask for a german car that had three serious mechanical failures before 100,000 miles?
>>
>>14142264
>$200 in time to save $30

Its not like you are using every second of your life making money.
>>
>>14142255
What I was getting at is it's not as bad as it was say back in the 90s, which seems to be the decade people's opinions on auto makers and reliability stopped.

Oh boy I hadn't seen the 2015 numbers. What's going on at Fiat?
>>
>>14142255
>2015
>All those US manufacturers surpassing MB

Merrika!
>>
>>14142259
I'm aware. But they have a better reputation for reliability than the FSI 2.0T's.

Only real issue they've had is over-efficient intercoolers causing water ingestion due to condensation.
>>
>>14142264
Fuck them, that Chevy dealership is full of cunts anyway, no way i was giving them that much money for a 35 cnet light bulb

>>14142272
Jeep is the fucking worst. I have a small internal stroke every time I get people coming in looking at fucking Jeep Patriots/Compass/Cherokee/GC ranting on about how reliable and durable Jeeps are

>>14142289
>>14142295

VDS goes back 3 years (2015 looks at 2012 model year cars), so this is the first year they are getting data for the 500
>>
>>14141701
You should have got a Toyota m8
>>
>>14142295
JD Power is garbage. CR even has more credibility
>>
File: carparts.jpg (64 KB, 599x495) Image search: [Google]
carparts.jpg
64 KB, 599x495
>>14142282
>They weren't known for being shit in 2008.
4u
>[anything ever] Best engine in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
neither I was talking about those nor that matter in the slightest.
>car is released in feb 2015
>"hurrrrr car of the year 2015!!!1!1!!1"
you should know better than that

>You did before I did.
I was talking about Diesel and Injection, I just didn't want to specify whether turbo or not because reasons (such as "some will argue that TDI are somewhat less reliable and harder to work on than SDI). do I have to type "sdi/tdi" or "xDI" so that you don't get em mixed up?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDI_%28engine%29

>How exactly did I ask for a german car that had three serious mechanical failures before 100,000 miles?
because you bought a shit car for its interior and amenities?
>>
File: the truth.jpg (114 KB, 720x875) Image search: [Google]
the truth.jpg
114 KB, 720x875
>>14142336
People just shit on JP Power because they take into account non-mechanical faults when they build the rankings

It means a car maker like cadillac can get killed because the CUE system was hard for people to figure out, even though nothing was really broken, BUT it means automakers who make it to the top of the chart have all their shit together. Not only are the cars mechanically solid, but they are easy enough to use that your average dumb fuck doesn't take it back to the dealer complaining about not getting the bluetooth to work

Like anything else, you have to understand where the data comes from, and how it is used to build a score. Yes, the JD Power metric can unfairly push a brand down, but it CAN'T artificially inflate one up
>>
>>14142349
>4u

No really, they weren't. They were getting tons of praise for their refinement and handling, and value compared to the R32. They were criticized for being heavier and people threw a shitfit about that. But they were not known as unreliable cars and the major issues weren't really known. When I bought the car it had been out about one to two years.

>neither I was talking about those nor that matter in the slightest.
You're claiming I should have known somehow about the cars issues. When at the time the cars and motors were being praised. That is the point.

>you should know better than that
I didn't buy the first model year, I bought the third model year.

>I was talking about Diesel and Injection, I just didn't want to specify whether turbo or not because reasons
You used an acronym "DI" that is commonly associated with Direct Injection. It is resonable for me to assume you were talking about the DI gas motors that fit the vintage you listed. Especially considering you said 2010 which is when they stopped with the FSI DI gas motors and introduced the TSI DI gas motors.

>because you bought a shit car for its interior and amenities?
I bought a car that got good gas mileage, with a motor that was on Ward's 10 best for 5 years. That had good handling, amenities, handled well, and fit what I needed in a car (5 door hatch with good rear seat room).

Go ahead and pretend like you could see the future in 2007 (when you probably weren't even driving). But we both know you're full of shit.
>>
>>14142364
>it CAN'T artificially inflate one up

How about the fact that Lexus owners never took their cars in because they are too old to even remember where they bought the car.
>>
>>14142417
fantastic argument, this guy wins the internet here
>>
>>14142417

Is this the beginning of an epic new boomer meme?
>>
I work at the largest german software company (which happens to be the third largest software company in the world, behind oracle and Microsoft) and I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER buy a German vehicle. Germans overengineer the shit out of everything. Saying that twenty things are all "ideally designed" by experts means NOTHING when the interconnection points between the parts are not properly understood.

It's the only reason I have the job I do.

Architects get into dickwaving competitions and bureaucracy in Germany ensures that the worst possible choice is made.

And I know this is not a problem exclusive to software in Germany (I've spoken to people).
>>
File: 02-2015-cadillac-ats-v-la-1.jpg (112 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
02-2015-cadillac-ats-v-la-1.jpg
112 KB, 750x422
>>14142255
>>14142364
>It means a car maker like cadillac can get killed because the CUE system was hard for people to figure out, even though nothing was really broken

Does this mean muh caddies are pretty solid cars?
>>
>>14142450
> Software development =/= vehicle R&D

Also the top three software companies are Microsoft, IBM and Oracle, by revenue in that order.
>>
File: disapp.gif (2 MB, 353x234) Image search: [Google]
disapp.gif
2 MB, 353x234
>>14142413
>No really, they weren't. They were getting tons of praise for their refinement and handling
from the very beginning I heard but the opposite. then I hopped on an antotragic one for a trip and it sucked: it was as bland as described and had quite some electronic gremlins or whatever you call it when stupid gimmicks act crazy for no reason
>Go ahead and pretend like you could see the future in 2007
hey man, it's not my fault you didn't see it coming
> motor that was on Ward's 10 best for 5 years.
which means literally nothing
>acronym "DI" that is commonly associated with Direct Injection.
that might be your case but I don't remember seeing anyone bothering to add "Direct" and to me that D means diesel most of the time. also if you scroll up you'll see I said "say, 2010" as in "really, do I have to search for euroIV and euroV regulations and years and shit?" which can be taken as milestones for generalizations if you care to play that game. but then you risk having to type all this shit because you can't assume things I think are obvious and then assume other things I wasn't implying or referring to.
>>
>>14142474
>implying IBM is third in revenue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_software_companies
Also
>implying IBM is primarily a software company

Anyhow, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, and others use the software the company I work for creates in a very large and important capacity. You talk to people who work at these companies when you fix their shit.
>>
>>14142450

You want to know what the funniest part is.

Germany runs the EU.
>>
>>14142468
>>14142474
Er nevermind I guess you must work for SAP. My comment still stands that software development and its politics is a poor comparison to vehicle engineering and development.
>>
>>14142497
>SAP
Don't you all mainly work on the F1 side of shit?
>>
>>14142497
So by association any car that supposedly uses your software is shit? I don't get what point you're trying to make. You said German cars are shit thanks to your software but now Ford and Toyota are in on the joke too?
>>
>>14142512
FI is an important piece of the software but far from the only part. Supply chain and warehouse management are important, SD within ERP, etc. are also important areas.

I work on yet another area, important enough for a lot of companies to work on, but not be the most immediately obvious.

>>14142522
Not the point. Point is I've met a lot of people in the automotive industry. German software companies and automotive companies have similar attitudes. It doesn't happen at Korean, Japanese, and American motor companies.
>>
>>14141477
W124 Mercedes is pretty good
It's like Hitler's spirit lives in it
>>
>>14142545
Generalizations, got it.
>>
>>14142545
So basically nothing you do goes into the actual cars?
>>
>>14142582
I couldn't go further without putting myself and specific individuals at risk.

>>14142589
I don't. I talk to people who do make such software.
>>
Question, i know DI gasoline engines have that notorious carbon build up problem. But how would a duel injection set up fair? Like the toyota 4-DS direct and port injection system?

Do any other car manufacturers have things like that?

I ask because the new Toyota Tacoma has that shit. And the FRS.
>>
File: IMG_20151127_150803.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_150803.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>14142627
Got my mom a 2014 C300 with the DI engine. People have already but shit loads of miles on these engines with no reports of carbon buildup issues. The few that I have seen were linked to people trying to use 87-89 octane gas
>>
>>14142625
>I couldn't go further without putting myself and specific individuals at risk.
The problem is unclear generalizations don't hold any weight on a discussion like this. I know where you're going with this now but I don't think it's right to judge a company's finished product based on its corporate attitude. Besides, what company isn't a stuffy and rigid bureaucracy nowadays? I don't think German companies are special in that regard.
>>
>>14142255
Do you know what qualifies as a mark against a car brand
>>
>>14142627
Most companies with more than one iteration of DI engines (VW, Mercedes, Subaru etc) have solved the issue. It was first generation of DI engines that had this issue, generally speaking.
>>
>>14142664
Why would using 87/89 octane result in carbon buildup while using 91/93 not result in any? I was under in the impression that the carbon buildup happened because the fuel wasn't washing off the valves due to the new injection method.
>>
>>14142711
The engine was tuned for 91 so putting a lower octane gas was leading to a less than optimal burn.
>>
>>14142664
>>14142688
I mean have both DI injection and low pressure port injection. I used to work at Nissan and the Juke DIG turbo engine failed quite often due to carbon
>>
>>14142837
Oh, can't say for those.
>>
>>14142468
No it means you should actually do some research because what other people consider problems are things you might not.
>>
>>14142684
As I understand it, it's any issue the dealership actually opens a troubel ticket to attempt to resolve

So if you drive into the service dept, and the guy just walks you through syncing your phone, it isn't a hit, but if you go in bitching that the bluetooth is broken and they actually start a ticket and have a tech look at the car, you get hit

>>14142688
true, I know Mercedes even delayed bringing DI engines into cars to work out carbon build up issues

>>14142711
see
>>14142728

>>14142890
This, this soooo much. One of the biggest obstacles in trying to help people find a car is overcoming preconceived notions they build up in their mind from doing half-assed research. Lots of people end up buying cars they weren't ever planning on looking at because of some things/fault they read about one place without ever doing any more research
>>
I recognize that generic anime whore.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.