[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rebuilt vs Remanufactured
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: hero_RemanEngines.jpg (124 KB, 760x250) Image search: [Google]
hero_RemanEngines.jpg
124 KB, 760x250
Looking into getting a replacement engine. One yard has a remanufactured engine while there is the option of a used one. Is it essentially a rebuilt engine?
>>
Rebuilt sounds like its got new parts that would have worn over time

Remanufactured sounds like its been machined. If it's just been through processes to replay surface treatments then fine but if it is dimensionally different a factory engine then eyebrows should be raised
>>
Remanufactured is refurbished. They look at it and replace if necessary. I would go for the rebuilt.
>>
Actual fucking tech here with a legitimate answer.

Refurbished engine means that it was taken apart and checked to make sure things were within manufacturer's operating limits. This can mean many parts are very NEAR out of spec, but edging by, if you are dealing with a shadier refurbisher. This is a bigger risk, but slightly cheaper.

ReMANUFACTURED means the engine has been completely taken down and rebuilt to zero time specs, much tighter than refurbished specs. This will always include having the heads and block machined, along with full rebuilds on both with new seals, guides and bearings and usually a new set of pistons if the bores need honing. THIS IS A BETTER OPTION IF YOU'RE NOT A CHEAP NIGGER.

There is a difference. Know if you are buying a reman or refurb engine.
>>
>>14139039
Wow! Thank you for this excellent feedback and advice. I am in no way cheap and am leaning towards the remanufactured engine for those reasons. Thank you again!
>>
>>14139064
Also when buying any engine make sure to receive a work order and/or rebuild certificate to certify to you as a buyer that work was performed. While this is no substitute for a warranty, it does provide an avenue of redress should the motor fail because all they did before selling it to you was pressure wash it and paint the valve covers.
>>
>>14139039
>every other industry uses these terms interchangeably but I'll type this shit out to make it sound like I'm not just some inbred hillbilly that will repeat the same shit my uncle daddy said and call you a nigger
>>
>>14139078
Refurbished and Remanufactured are legal definitions when dealing with engines. Those are terms that are not only legally endorsed, but used by both ASE and the fucking FAA for aircraft powerplants you dumb cunt.
>>
>>14139090
>legal definitions
>has zero source other than much anecdotal evidence
>calls me a dumb cunt
>can't type a response without being an angry sister fucker
>>
Re reading the OP. The remanufactured engine is better than a straight up used one unless you plan to rebuild yourself. Ask for proof of it being remanufactured and if there is any sort of warranty that comes with it.
>>
>>14139106
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.421

>14 CFR 91.421 - Rebuilt engine maintenance records.

I'm angry because your sister gives such shit head. Here's your legal definition.
>>
>>14139124
You retard. That's for logging hours on an airplane engine thats required by law. NOT at all what you said. Goddamn this board is full of retarded weeaboos and hillbillies that think they know jack shit about cars.
>>
>>14139111
OP here. Did a second call and confirmed it is remanufactured and comes with a warranty. 6months or 6k in miles, which ever comes first of course. Now I just need to save my pennies.
>>
>>14139133
Mad for being...
REKT!
>>
>>14139106

Retards like this: ruining message boards since 1999!
>>
>>14139133
you're one of em.
>>
>>14139106
Learn when to shut the fuck up about shit you know nothing of, dipshit
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.