[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to love a car that isn't aged or unique?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: r32.jpg (104 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
r32.jpg
104 KB, 720x480
A few cars I'm thinking of buying are new (Fiesta ST, BRZ, WRX) or newish (BMW 135/335) but I'm worried about the possibility that I'll just see them as "just a car." Is it true that a car has to feel like it's from another era (no infotainment/modern styling/etc) and feel unique (not something I see every drive) for me to have a chance of truly loving it?

I've only driven popular autotragic econoboxes and work trucks up to this point, so I don't have any experience with "MUH FEELS" and don't know whether that actually has any value.
>>
nice autism OP
>>
yes old cars have a special feel that is absent from newer cars. its not autism or whatever.

>muh heavy steering that has feedback
>muh hard brakes that have feedback
>muh feel every single part of the car and every single crack in the road through my ass
mainly though the smell is the best part
>>
>>14071812
I have the Fiesta ST and was considering cars along the same line as what you're looking at. I'll say the Fiesta ST drives/feels special and I've seen maybe 5 others in the time I've owned one. Lots of brake/steering/buttdyno feedback in the little hatch.

Also the interior is rather spartan, but with minor modern conveniences. I have bluetooth, navigation, automatic climate control (though, i never use it), and heated seats, but the gauge layout could not be more classic and the drive is about as engaging as I can imagine.

TL;DR you won't know if you love 'em til you drive 'em.
>>
I think the best part of driving an older car isn't just because of another era, but because of the work you personally put in to bring it back to what it is now. The blood sweat and tears are worth it in the end. The feels are reals.
>>
>>14071812
Op, you can love any car. It's about the memories you share with it. If you're a person who likes cars and driving, chances are you will love your car, even if it's bland boring econo-shitbox. I own a very common FWD with barely three digit horsepower (although it is lightish weight), and I still love the thing.

And if you're a person who likes performance, you can always put some money into and make a slow car better. Likewise you change aesthetics and interior features, to some degree.
>>
>>14071812
I've become quite a the cunt over the years on this topic. Nowadays when I see someone in a common as fuck new-ish car with personalized plates, a loud exhaust and some wheels I feel amusement instead of being able to relate to them. You just know they're going to sell it for something newer when the novelty wears off.
>>
The nice thing about old cars is that ten years lets you know if it was a good car or not. It's only after the car's been aged that you know if it's actual quality, or if you bought a Lexus.
>>
>>14071906
>electric steering ford
>lots of steering feedback
kek
>>
>>14072036
>says the dude who's never driven one

>>14071812
Just drive 'em all mate. If you fall in love with an old car you can get the satisfaction of restoring it, if you find a modern car you like more, you'll appreciate the little conveniences.
>>
>>14071936

Anon, you are 100% right. It is all about the memories you have in/with your car. I had a cobalt that I absolutely loved, even though there are about 4 million of them on the road and most people seem to hate them. Teaching my brother how to drive a standard in my cobalt, among others, is one of the reasons I loved my cookie cutter car.
>>
File: ws62.jpg (520 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
ws62.jpg
520 KB, 1080x1920
>is it true that a car has to feel likes it's from another era and feel unique for me to have a chance of truly loving it

Absolutely not. For my car (pic) it does help even though it's not that old it's not something you see everyday.

>I've only driven popular autotragic econoboxes and work trucks up to this point, so I don't have any experience with "MUH FEELS" and don't know whether that actually has any value.

You're just going to have to go with it and see if you love it. I've driven a FRS, 2016 WRX and an older focus. They were all good and you should go test drive all three
>>
>>14072170
>car sold in the 90's

Definitely old enough to feel very distinct from modern cars. Even early 2000's cars can feel different.
>>
>>14072131
I disagree. Some people might be able to bond with a terrible appliance-mobile but not me.

If I can't feel the engineers pride through the controls and in the engine I'm just not interested. A fwd shitbox is never gonna cut it.

Call it car racism if you will.
>>
>>14072224
>I can't feel the engineers pride through the controls

Do you feel like it's possible to tell the difference between a car drawn on paper and built by human hands, compared to designed in CAD and built by robots? Just from driving it?
>>
>>14072443
I'd imagine the absence of rack and pinion steering would make the difference pretty obvious.

Steering feel on cars before rack and pinion is generally terrible by comparison. The widespread introduction of R&P in the 80's changed everything.

Electric steering is changing everything again but many would argue it's for the worse on most cars.

It's pretty obvious if the car has a fly by wire throttle too.
>>
>>14072224
I understand what you mean. Different strokes for different folks. You need to be able to feel some passion from the manufacterers standpoint with a vehicle, and that is fine.
I, like many, associate some great memories with our cars which make us love them.

People who love their cars love them for different reasons. It's one of the great things about being human. I loved my fwd 'shitbox'. It had what I was looking for in a car. Manual trans, good mpgs and it was cheap. I can't complain about a 140$ a month car payment lol.

I've never been in a ferrari or lambo or some hand crafted car made with passion but that's ok. You want to feel pride in their work and I respect that. It's our differences that allow for there to be hundreds, if not thousands of different cars to choose from when we buy one. I am a car guy and I love all cars... except mustangs, I fucking hate mustangs.
>>
I know things like where a car gets its maintenance/how its driven/collision history matter just as much as the number on the odo, but for the sake of searching, what's the maximum number of kms I should be searching for in a DD?
>>
>>14072651
Depends on the make and model and year. If it's a 5 year old car with 150k miles I would pass. Try and find a low mileage car if possible. Lower the better I think.
>>
File: Kristin_Z4M_Cover.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1199) Image search: [Google]
Kristin_Z4M_Cover.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1199
>>14071812

qualifications for gud car you can love forever

>quick steering rack, pref hydraulic steering.
>stiff chassis
>0-60 under 5 seconds
>glorious sounding engine and exhaust
>great looks
>under 3400lbs
>in good condition
>stickshift
>>
>>14072750
>quick steering rack, pref hydraulic steering
this is literally the opposite of ideal

a progressive, minimally assisted, rack that starts slow for the first 45 degrees would be ideal.
>>
>>14072651
depends on the car. my 1996 jeep xj has 208k miles and runs/drives like new
>>
>>14072750
yuck, gross picture
>>
File: hatsun3.jpg (81 KB, 800x375) Image search: [Google]
hatsun3.jpg
81 KB, 800x375
>>14072827

here's a better pic senpai
>>
>>14072862
this is much better thank you i was getting triggered
>>
File: is this a hatch.jpg (32 KB, 600x370) Image search: [Google]
is this a hatch.jpg
32 KB, 600x370
>new Civic Si is a near perfect car for me, going by the feature list, numbers, and aesthetics
>don't want one because it's modern and also a Civic

How irrational is this?
>>
>>14072896
its completely rational.
who the fuck would pay type r money for a front wheel drive grocery cart.

buy rwd and never look back
>>
>>14072896
>won't buy a car because of the image associated with it

pretty normal if you ask me
>>
>>14072896
>implying the civic is not the god machine
>>
>>14071812
135/335 have heavy as mother fuck steering, but they're pretty unengaging in real life driving.

That HP curve, though...
>>
>>14072938
>they're pretty unengaging in real life driving.
no they arent.. 335i is fun as fuck.
>>
File: IMAG0017-1600x900.jpg (317 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0017-1600x900.jpg
317 KB, 1600x900
>>14072945
Whatever you say, bud.
>>
>>14072973
Okay you own a car. Grats, I've driven my friends with a tune countless times and it's a blast every time. Maybe you just can't drive?

maybe the fact that you have run flats might have something to do with it
>>
>>14072519
>It's pretty obvious if the car has a fly by wire throttle too.

Yeah. The electrically assisted steering in my BRZ feels fine but the drive by wire throttle sucks. It has a bit of a dead spot or something in the first few mm of travel and it makes giving it just a little bit of throttle a pain (e.g. everytime you start from a complete stop).
>>
>>14072982

neither the 330, the 335, nor the Mazda in the garage have runflats. Keep attacking me because I'm telling you a car you drove for 20 minutes isn't that good.

Maybe you'll be right about something.
>>
File: DSCN1644.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1644.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>14072982
Oh shit a tune bro, is it Stage 3 bro?
>>
File: IMAG0037-1200x2133.jpg (251 KB, 1200x2133) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0037-1200x2133.jpg
251 KB, 1200x2133
>>14073010

Just mentioning it shows me your street cred.
You touge?
>>
File: 20151204_121543.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151204_121543.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>14073041
Only in the Bentley (Stage 4 btw bro) bro
>>
>>14073000
you didnt say good you said engaging. which it is. I also think it's good though.
I've driven it for probably an hour total all together, hard, on canyon roads.
It's a fun car for sure, especially for the year it was out for the price it was at.

maybe it's not engaging when you drive it to work every day doing sick 50-80 pulls. get good casual.

>>14073010
no it's been tuned. as in put on a dyno and reflashed plus some other bolt ons. are you legit retarded or always pretending?
>>
>>14073080
BMW hasn't made a good or engaging car since the E30, a cold air intake and your 2 years of driving experience doesn't make E92s anything more than a boring middle management mobile.
>>
File: 1280px-BMWE9CSc.jpg (332 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1280px-BMWE9CSc.jpg
332 KB, 1280x960
>>14073103
>e30

bmw hasn't made a good or engaging car since the e9, you fkin casual
>>
>>14073103
>>14073103
>BMW hasn't made a good or engaging car since the E30
this is just nonsense and the base e30s are really over rated.

>a cold air intake
loving every meme

>2 years of driving experience
I'm 25 you fat little autistic faggot.. i have tons of track experience. i've been racing something with wheels since i was single digits. meanwhile you're an attention whoring tripfag apprentice whos worked at a shop for like 1 year. you know shit lol.
>>
>>14073127
>so angry he's missing the shift key
>>
>>14073080
Damn, an fbo 335?! Is he sponsored? How could he afford the $1500?

He's mocking you because you obviously don't know anything about cars nor driving. Anywho, enjoy arguing with owners that a 3600lb numb as shit BMW is "engaging" to drive.

Even the e92 m3 sucks to drive by the way. Heads up, I owned one of those too, so be sure to tell me how great that sack of literal shit is.

Maybe you'll tell me more about the runflats you know so much about
>>
>>14073139
>how could he afford the 1500
idk how much it was but he's a single software engineer so im pretty sure he can afford w/e. this was in 2008 when the car was new. I haven't driven one since and my daily is a 2002, so maybe my expectations are lower than yours but I enjoyed it quite a bit and definitely found it engaging even coming from a car with no mechanical assists at all.

the fact is I know more about driving then you probably ever will and can get more out of a car in 15 minutes than you can owning it for a decade so i'm not worried about your opinion.
>>
>>14073179
>he said he knows more about driving

Then maybe you should prove it, by not babbling off about engagement of a bloated turd

>I dd a 2002
Then you're an idiot
>>
>>14073282
>Then you're an idiot
why?
>>
>>14071812
A year and a bit into driving a newer car, I'm saying yes.
The old car had character. It kept breaking, it had quirks and failings, and it earned a nickname. It came alive at higher speeds when the aerodynamics started to work.
I called it 'the rock', because you can't stop the rock. The brakes were utter shit; rusted mostly away, the handbrake couldn't fucking stop it from moving, and no power assist so it felt like I was shoving my foot into the road to stop the car.
And can you smell what the rock is cooking? I certainly could. Every time I ran the heater, it stank of burning oil because I'd spilled some on the heater core.
It DRANK oil. There was no such thing as an oil change, just a filter change. It drank a full reservoir of oil in mere weeks.
The stereo had been 'upgraded' with huge-ass speakers in the boot. That caused issues with the boot space, and I had to drill through the parcel shelf to install cable ties to stop things unplugging them. It could project bass across a car park, with the windows open. With the windows closed, it caused deafness.
The suspension was so low because of an idiot previous owner that it caught the front splitter on kerbs when parking. Half of it was missing and the bumper cracked clean across because of that.
I was genuinely saddened to see it go when I sold it. My final farewell drive in it was emotional. At least, until I had to slow down and discovered why I bought a newer car.

My new car drives perfectly well. Power assisted everything. The wipers work and don't jam. I only need to open the bonnet to refill the screen wash. I don't have a list of fixes. It's easy to drive; my MOTHER could drive it, if not for it having a clutch pedal. The stereo works fine, sounds great after fiddling with the equaliser, and it stores settings. I don't need to program my brain to change the settings on the stereo every time I start it. It handles well at all speeds.
I like it just fine. I just can't love it because it's boring.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.