[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
learning manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: nozomi_sasaki-173.jpg (102 KB, 1046x768) Image search: [Google]
nozomi_sasaki-173.jpg
102 KB, 1046x768
Hey guys, I bought a manual car without knowing too much about driving manual, what are some good ways to practice or good skills I should learn if I'm going to be driving around?

I know enough to start the car without stalling and drive around with no problems (friend taught me a few months ago and I more or less remembered it) but sometimes I'll do a small burnout when starting from a stop and it's really fucking hard for me to drive forwards/backwards just a little bit when parking, meaning I have to go for the easiest spot to get into/out of while parking.

How do I do this? From what I understand I have to rev the car to around 1000-1200 RPM and then slowly take the clutch out until it catches and starts to move, and then just hold it there right? Doesn't this burn the clutch? Also, what do I do to start on a hill, or park on a hill? I feel like I can start on most hills by just dumping the gas and clutch and having my tires spin before catching (have to learn to stop doing that but it works for now), but if I have to do a small move on a hill I can't react fast enough without the car starting to roll.

Anyways, tips/thoughts/advice? Car is a 1993 300zx by the way.
>>
>>14039857
>How do I do this? From what I understand I have to rev the car to around 1000-1200 RPM and then slowly take the clutch out until it catches and starts to move, and then just hold it there right? Doesn't this burn the clutch?

Yes it does burn the clutch, the trick to learning how not to do that is to learn how to get the car moving without using the accelerator.

Eventually you'll get good enough to do hill starts without rolling but in the mean time learn how to use the handbrake while starting to move forward, that will keep you from rolling back on a exceptionally steep hill.
>>
>>14039880

how do i not burn the clutch
>>
File: 2842001121158906.jpg (240 KB, 540x735) Image search: [Google]
2842001121158906.jpg
240 KB, 540x735
>>14039880
>the trick to learning how not to do that is to learn how to get the car moving without using the accelerator.

What do you mean? Won't it not get enough gas and stall out? Or is there some way of taking out the clutch that let's it catch and go forward. Is that something I should be trying to learn or should I just use my method for now?
>>
>>14039896
A little bigger front end and this is my favorite body type.
>>
File: 1420247009516.jpg (446 KB, 2000x2667) Image search: [Google]
1420247009516.jpg
446 KB, 2000x2667
>>14039917

Got a full folder of these kinds of girls, I'm willing to trade them for tips and advice on driving manual :^)
>>
>>14039880
what the fuck is this post
what the fuck
>>
>>14039896
The point of learning to not use the gas pedal is to learn where the bite point of your clutch pedal is, and to learn clutch control, forcing you to smooth out your motion, and making it muscle memory.

And yes if your car has more than 100hp you can easily get it moving on a flat service without stalling.

Eventually you can push the accelerator down as you let the clutch back up, at the right time not stall and more importantly not burn the clutch.

This also will help on hill starts, since you automatically know where the clutch bites, the timing of you pushing the gas in will be perfect keeping you from rolling back.

90% of manual is knowing how to to work the clutch.
>>
>>14039934

more
>>
>>14040179
Iiniku Ushijima
>>
>>14040190

good god
>>
File: qt.jpg (203 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
203 KB, 1000x1333
>>14040116
Huh, thanks.

What's the best way to practice? Just drive around loads every day? Should I drive around in a parking lot and practice using the clutch the first few days and then just drive around normally after that?

>>14040179
with pleasure
>>
>>14039896
You want to get to the point where your not over revving when your letting the clutch out. You want to let the clutch out in a smooth solid motion. Once you start to let the clutch out you don't stop letting it out until your foot is off the clutch.
>>
Also to save wear and tear on your clutch never sit at a stop light with you holding in the clutch more than you have to. Put the car in neutral and let the clutch out until you think you're about to go then put the cat in gear.
>>
>>14040213
Practice makes perfect, I made the change from driving an auto to a manual a couple of years ago and pretty much had the same problems as you, its easy to learn but just takes time to master it.

Just go out whenever you can and find an empty hill or slope to practice hill starts on and an empty flat space to have a go at letting the clutch out without gas and get a feel for that biting point
>>
>>14040213
Yeah generally the best way is to be driving constantly, but if you're afraid of looking like a slow driver I would try it in a parking lot first.
>>
Once you get stopping and going down everything will come together and become easy. Just try and keep everything smooth. And try not to ride the clutch in the middle. The middle is where all the major wear and tear comes from. It's either all the way in our all the way out. Keep it smooth and you'll be OK
>>
>>14040213
My first car was manual. First two or three times I drove it I was shit and hated it. Fourth time I could suddenly do it, not well, but I could get around town without a problem.

Fast forward maybe two weeks and I wasn't thinking about it. Started to work on rev matching, downshifting, etc, while driving around.

Forget how many years ago that was.
>>
>>14040275
>Once you start to let the clutch out you don't stop letting it out until your foot is off the clutch.

This is correct, But don't let it out too quick once you do feel the bite point it can induce bunny hop, remember one smooth motion.
>>
>>14039857
>>14039896
>>14039934
>>14039917

I'm dating a Thai girl right now with a body exactly like this and a perfect face.

Leaves something to be desired in the boob department but jesus is she hot everywhere else. She waxes everything and has perfect light skin.
>>
>>14040275
> Once you start to let the clutch out you don't stop letting it out until your foot is off the clutch.
>>14040306
And try not to ride the clutch in the middle. The middle is where all the major wear and tear comes from. It's either all the way in our all the way out.

Wait, really? I thought the way to inch forward or backwards while you're trying to park was take out the clutch about halfway while keeping it at 1-1.2k RPM. This is what I've been doing so far, I feel like if I kick it up to 1-1.2k RPM and then take the clutch out it either will move too much or it will stall. Or do you guys mean it's okay to do that if I'm only moving a few feet or inching in traffic but I should be taking it all the way off for regular driving?

>Also to save wear and tear on your clutch never sit at a stop light with you holding in the clutch more than you have to. Put the car in neutral and let the clutch out until you think you're about to go then put the cat in gear.
Guilty of this, was making this mistake until I went to go pick up my dad to show him the car and he asked me what the fuck I was doing when I slowed down to a stop, shifted from 3rd into 1st, and then just sat there.

>>14040289
>Just go out whenever you can and find an empty hill or slope to practice hill starts on and an empty flat space to have a go at letting the clutch out without gas and get a feel for that biting point
Planning on doing this when I have the time. There's not that many hills near me though so I'll have to find a good empty one.

>>14040301
>but if you're afraid of looking like a slow driver I would try it in a parking lot first.

Can't really say I'm too worried about that, just worried about fucking up either my car or hitting someone elses if I end up rolling or flooring it accidentally.
>>
Just let the clutch out until the car gets goiing while maintaining ~1500revs.

Once you can repeatably do this you will then naturally start tailoring your takeoff rpm and clutch rate to your particular vehicle.

There is no exact science too it, every vehicle/clutch/engine is different and the method depends on the vehicle and you'll automatically adjust to them.
>>
>>14040335
I wouldn't worry too much about clutch wear, it is a wearing item after all no matter how good you are.

Of course it'll take a bit of extra wear until you get used to driving manual, but that's just part of the learning process.
>>
>>14040335
If i'm having to inch forward or reverse just out of a space I pop the clutch enough to get rolling then immediately go back into neutral since your going to stop in a couple of feet anyways.
>>
>>14040350
>Just let the clutch out until the car gets goiing while maintaining ~1500revs.

That's basically what I do now, but isn't that bad for the clutch. I understand that the car is going to wear no matter what like >>14040373
said, but won't that wear it out way faster than just learning how to drive correctly instead of doing this every time?

>>14040384
That actually sounds pretty smart, I'm going to start doing that, thanks.
>>
>>14040396
>won't that wear it out way faster than just learning how to drive correctly
That is driving correctly.
It only wears excessively if you take too long letting the clutch out.

Once you learn the engagement point for the clutch (and are able to get there repeatably) you can more quickly let it out and induce less slip.

Once you learn the engagement point, you'll rev to ~1500rpm and progressively less the clutch out as the car gets moving.

The only way this is going to excessively wear the clutch is if you do not let the clutch out quickly enough and you just sit there with it slipping forever without progressively letting it out.

You are overthinking it.
>>
>>14040419

so you should always slowly let off the clutch?
how slow is slowly
>>
>>14040491
Just slowly enough to maintain engine revs while getting the car going.

As you get better you'll learn how to more quickly let out the clutch by inputting more throttle to maintain revs. This will reduce the time the clutch is slipping and get in-gear more quickly.

It should only take you ~0.5-1 second or so for a normal powered vehicle to go from standstill to clutch fully out and rolling in gear.
>>
>>14040286
Why is this necessary? If the clutch pedal is all the way down, shouldn't the clutch pad be in free motion and not scraping across the flywheel.
>>
>>14040373
Listen to this guy. I see a lot of advice in here that is complete overkill. Your clutch pad is specifically engineered to endure wear. So long as you don't rest your foot on the clutch between shifts, you'll be fine.

There are also people in this thread suggesting that you never need to use the gas to pull away from a full stop... obviously they don't live around any hills.
>>
>>14040893
Not all pressure plates open enough space for the clutch plate to pushed away from the flywheel.

The flywheel can still be hitting the clutch plate causing glazing and clutch wear.
>>
>>14040912
>There are also people in this thread suggesting that you never need to use the gas to pull away from a full stop... obviously they don't live around any hills

No one has suggested that, you just have piss poor reading comprehension.

The no gas method is to teach clutch control and bite point, you'll still need gas to get moving quickly or up hills.
>>
Pull clutch out slowly until you get comfy with it to pull it out quickly until it engages
>>
Practice until you can pull away on a flat surface without touching the accelerator.

One of my old cars had a high idle in the mornings and i could drive that all the way up to about 25mph without touching the gas, just using the gears and the clutch.

Oh and don't ride the clutch, yes it's a consumable part but that doesn't mean you should go out of your way to wear it prematurely.

EVENTUALLY you will be able to shift as smooth as an automatic. With a bit of concentrating i can change from 3-4-5 with the only clue being the engine note changing.
>>
>>14040331
>Leaves something to be desired in the boob department

Giant bobos are for brutish subhumans
>>
>>14039857
Go to some empty parking lot

practice using your left foot sensibly

Once you can do that go to something with like 5-10° elevation

Keep one foot planted on the brake, practice getting enough clutch in for you to feel it, then easing off the brake so car goes uphill

Done
>>
Fucking american pleb faggot
>>
File: 1406216172081.jpg (119 KB, 400x583) Image search: [Google]
1406216172081.jpg
119 KB, 400x583
Okay guys, I spent all day today driving around and I think I've more or less gotten the no gas start down. I pretty much know the biting point of my clutch, and can use it to either start off a flat surface with no gas or take out the clutch enough to catch and then switch my foot from the brake to the gas to start on an incline.

The only thing I don't get is downshifting. How do I know which gear to shift into if I shift from let's say, 4th or 3rd into neutral, coast, and then need to shift back for some reason? Or if I need to slow down and downshift? Do you do it by RPM or by speed? The way I tried to do it was to wait until I dropped to around 1.5k RPM in 4th gear then went from 4 -> N -> 3 but the car lurched forward really fast and the tires squealed.
>>
>>14046145
Experience as to where your revs drop, in general the only downshift you ever need to is to pass somebody and even then all that's typically needed is down one gear.

Smoothness in downshift is acheived by revmatching but since you're new at I would not seriously try it until you've driven for several months.

So in the mean time:

Coming to a complete stop you can put it in neutral and coast and brake, no reason to downshift at all.

If you're coming to red-light and it turns back to green and traffic starts speeding up then shift into second under 20mph and 3rd up to about 35mph, you should never need to shift into first unless your at almost a standstill.

But give it a bit of gas as you let the clutch back out so the engine can match the revs of the transmission easier.
>>
>>14040331

sending money monthly to a ladyboy you met on a sex tourist trip doesnt count as dating buddy.
>>
>>14046145
rev
match
>>
>>14046275
>For just a dollar a day you can insure that this cute little boy will stick to his horomone regimen becoming your cute fuck toy in a matter of years.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.