[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/n/ here, I have a question for you all: How long do you expect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 28
/n/ here, I have a question for you all:

How long do you expect to be able to drive a car that contributes to climate change? Realistically, you have to understand that every year more and more restrictions are being passed to limit emissions. Blame the petrochemical industry and the car industry for burying electric cars and stifling innovation. It's 2015, the idea that everyone can burn as much gasoline as they want anytime they want is outdated and needs to be retired. We need to stop being so selfish, driving less and biking more is a good start in the right direction. Teslas are also a good step forward. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and we all need to recognize that fact for the good of humanity.

Pic related should be obscene to any decent person, especially people who drive.
>>
Good pasta, some underage b& here will get butthurt

In all seriousness, industrial fuel consumption contributes the most to greenhouse gases. Everyday commuting actually doesn't do that much compared to the huge factories and coal-fired power plants.
>>
Obscene to people who don't understand it maybe.

Tons of research is going into ways to create fuels that are both renewable and function with our modern infrastructure.

Do you realize how much of our entire world relies on the use of oil? Just take a mental note when you see something that uses oil. Oil is used to make the computer you are using. It's used in every vehicle in the world in one way or another. It fuels the vast majority of our vehicles.

I don't see it going away. I see the source of the oil being replaced, not the entire infrastructure of the world.

Here you go.

http://www.pnl.gov/news/release.aspx?id=1029
>>
get rid of all the methane produced in beef production and we can then talk about my gas guzzler
>>
>>13993762
Grandfathering is a thing.
>>
>>13993806
>Obscene to people who don't understand it maybe.
>literally modifying your small-dick compensating truck to spew more pollutants into the air

What the fuck is there to understand? Coal rollers are the most retarded people in the country.
>>
>>13993762
Whilst they have limited emissions on newer cars, they haven't outright banned more polluting older vehicles, and they can't.

Considering most cars on the road are a decade old or more, you would be requiring even the poorest people to give up their only source of mobility, not to mention pissing most other car owners.

Also you do realize the soot he's putting out actually cools the planet in the short term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
>>
>>13993830
To be fair I think coal rolling actually reduces NOx emissions although it ups CO2. Pick your poison, literally.
>>
>>13993843
>>13993848
>justifying coal rolling

If it's so great why not sit next to the exhaust pipes and just breathe it in. It's healthy so what's the problem?
>>
>>13993869
I'm not necessarily justifying it, humans don't run on CO2 and coal rollers are fags, just was pointing out the chemistry of it.
>>
>>13993762
I hate coal rollers because they only mean more restriction for those of us who aren't huge pricks in the long run. I want muh sports cars to last longer.
>>
>>13993806
>Obscene to people who don't understand it maybe.
It's obscene to people who do.
>>
>>13993896
This, to be honest. Wouldn't be surprised if most coal rollers were actually hardcore environmental activists.
>>
>>13993869
Not saying its great but saying that what he's doing is causing global warming isn't exactly true.

Soot causes cooling, while causing acid rain and other issues.

And trying to curb emissions here is a moot point when you still have India and China claiming that they're still third world countries and should be allowed to pollute as much as they want since they can't "afford" it.

And that's before we even mention the main cause of pollution, human overpopulation.

There's is absolutely no good reason to be pushing 10 billion people on this planet in decade much less double that by 20 billion.

You want reduce emissions? Get china and India to fucking get on board with climate control and tell everybody else get neutered.
>>
>>13993787
Do you have any sources? Also, I think that whataboutism is actually counterproductive to this discussion. Sure, cows farting and shitting causes a bunch of methane gas, so do planes and boats but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't limit the emissions that cars have. It's a logical fallacy - come on /o/, you're smarter than this.

>>13993806
We don't neccesarily need oil to power cars we can replace it with hydrogen or lithium battery cells - sure we'll still use oil to manufacture plastic but if the majority of the fleet of cars that a nation uses is replaced with energy gathered from renewable and/or green sources then it will definitely help reduce pollution and halt climate change.

>>13993843
Holy shit the thread got even dumber.
>>
>>13994003
Cyclist detected
>>
>>13993869
>>13993830

Look you may have good intentions and all but your posts are coming off as a college age tumblr reactionary. Not bad if troll.
>>
File: Cloud formation.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cloud formation.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>13993762
As long as i damned well please.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7It81_habgs
Fucken straya cunt.
>>
>>13994003
Except cars aren't even among the biggest polluters. Your strife would be better directed at industrial pollution. A lot easier to force huge profitable companies to revise their shit than force individuals to update their transportation.
>>
Can't wait to drive my diesel truck tomorrow. Just thinking about how much it annoys some people will make my day better.
>>
>>13994037
How is anything I said wrong? Coal rollers are literally horrible people who get off on pissing others off and destroying the environment.

>>13994070
fuck off
>>
>>13993762
Nice B8 M8.

Speaking honestly, though, it's going to be a LONG time before fossil fuel powered vehicles disappear, whether due to economics or law. Pure electric vehicle technology (rather than the hybrid technology currently used to extend range like in the Prius) has a long way to go before it can provide good range for all vehicle types (not just compacts) and provide it at a low price. After that, you still have to get the infrastructure in place so that fast electric charging stations (or battery swaps or something equivalent) are as prevalent across the country as gas stations.

Alternatively, we might end up seeing improved public transportation systems (light rail, for example) if the government ever gets off its ass, which could conceivably slow the adoption of electric vehicles (people won't put as many miles on their fossil fuel powered vehicles, so they'll keep them longer). If fewer people are driving, there might also be less incentive or push to changeover to electric vehicles.

In addition, there's also the chance that we'll just change to a cleaner-burning fossil fuel, such as natural gas, given that the US produces so much of it. Many public buses and trucks already run on natural gas, and it's really not that difficult to modify a gasoline vehicle to burn natural gas. Plus, natural gas is higher octane, so you can run more timing or more boost and get more power.
>>
File: OIaBg.png (200 KB, 392x411) Image search: [Google]
OIaBg.png
200 KB, 392x411
>>13994082
>>
>>13994082
Oh by the way I DD a diesel with stacks. Here's my boat too, with a chevy 350 with zero emissions equipment on it. dumps exhaust straight into the river.
>>
>It's 2015
>privilege

Fucking Trudeau, stop shitposting. You're supposed to be running a country.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 800x533
>tfw DPF/DOC went in the trash
Straight pipe a best

Feels great man
>>
>>13993762
>hurr durr electric cars
Electric cars are terrible for the environment.

If you want change, start looking for affordable and renewable low emissions fuels that can fuel existing engines. That interchangeability is going to get people using the fuel in older vehicles. Those people are going to get stations selling the fuel. Those stations are going to pave the way for new vehicles to be designed around that fuel.

Otherwise you'll be spending billions of dollars just to ask people to spend their own money on making a change they don't want that really doesn't help the situation out any substantial amount and will probably end up being temporary anyway.
>>
Anyone have that image of the Ameribear rolling goal :DDD
>>
>>13993762
Cars have very little impact on global warming.

You really want to make a difference?

>Convert all power production to nuclear.

>Streamline industrial transportation of goods using trains and ships

>kill off the shit half of our population that contribute nothing useful to society

>stop buying manufactured goods
>>
File: IMG_0016.jpg (399 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0016.jpg
399 KB, 2048x2048
>>13994026
Get raped
>>
>>13993830
Why is it always about dicks? You people are more dick-obsessed than that fat kid in Superbad.
>>
>>13994207
Not enough fluff and platitude in the post. Couldn't be the new supreme leader.
>>
File: 1446957523116.jpg (172 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1446957523116.jpg
172 KB, 800x800
This is bait.
>>
>>13994677
Shoo shoo, slimy limey.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 1920x1080
Hey man, you cant bike all you want but im gonna keep on driving man, i dont really care about how much my car pollutes, but if i had to and if there was a cheap way to convert a car to electric from gasoline then i would
>>
>>13993762
I'll bite.

I care far more about my own convenience, feels, and the current economy than I do about the health of the planet in the far future.
>>
>>13995426
Congrats, you're the cager equivalent of an SJW.
>>
>>13993762
>every year more and more restrictions are being passed to limit emissions
nah m8 where do you get this shit, every single year i take my car for its mot, they look see the lack of cat and registration pre-93, thus making it emmisions exempt.
also work out how much coal and gas you'd have to burn to replace every car on the road with electric cars. given that an average car can do about 200k miles and theres a shit tonne of cars.
but i see where your going, we could re-open the coal mines and support the economy by creating a whole lot of new jobs.
>>
>>13994049
Thought the biggest polluters was all the bovine creatures shitting and farting
>>
>>13995450
No he isn't. A SJW wants other people to change to satisfy themselves.
All this guy wants is to live conveniently. So long as nobody fucks with his shit then he doesn't care.
>>
Why are people from /n/ so terrible?
>>
>>13995655
Ask heartbreaker the next time you see him.
>>
>>13993762

It doesn't matter. We should have done all of this shit years ago when it would have made a difference at this point there's no going back so your choices are A. Keep the economy running smoothly so that you can figure out how to solve the incoming consequences of fucking up the atmosphere. Or B. Tank the economy and struggle to figure out how to deal with the incoming consequences of fucking up the atmosphere. You're going to have to have everyone switch over to hybrid or electric vehicles eventually anyway since gasoline will run out and the cost of operating with it will spike but as far as "we need to save the earth!" We can't at this point. Maybe if we had switched to nuclear in the 50's and 60's, doubled down on public transportation and really pushed for emission control 40 years ago... oh and preventing China, India, and Brazil from industrializing.

People who deny that humans cause climate change are the same people who probably would line up behind automakers and their claim that leaded gasoline is harmless. As well the dumb as a bag of rocks liberals and their captain planet fantasies are going to do nothing but prevent us from actually solving any of this shit by tangling up the economy.
>>
>>13995700
You raise a good point by mentioning that we already passed the tipping point of no return on climate change, according to their climate zealot's own figures. If that's the case, the best we can hope for is a smooth transition into more sustainable energy and less reliance on fossil fuels. If the planet is already fucked, peak oil is a more pressing concern than climate change, since we can't do anything to fix the latter. Why artificially destroy the economy with climate change legislation if all that will accomplish is undermining our ability to survive the future challenges we will face.
>>
>>13995766
>artificially destroy the economy
the economy is based on a soft lump of pleb tier metal and peoples attachment to it. were in it for the long haul m8. hopefully theres enough sane people in the world that when goverments start telling us to stop doing something that we enjoy we tell them to fuck off and keep to themselfs
>>
>>13993762

I gave my eternal soul to Satan. I will continue to buy the least fuel efficient cars and drive them till the water level rises and floods all the land. Then I will attach a snorkel and propeller to them and sail them until I die of thrist.
>>
>>13993810
About that...
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34540193

>>13993830
Coal rollers are retarded simply because injecting more fuel than you can burn is an idiot's way of tuning an engine. You can make more power and get better mileage doing it properly, and it will burn clean.
>>
>>13993762
Electrical engineering major here. I'm totally behind the concept of electric cars when they are either cheaper, don't suck, or preferably, both. Unfortunately I won't be contributing to making them cheaper, better, and faster because I'm going into the semiconductor industry so good luck auto people. Hope I haven't drowned by the time they are viable.
>>
File: 1410792733718.jpg (18 KB, 275x253) Image search: [Google]
1410792733718.jpg
18 KB, 275x253
Grandfathering will always be a thing, meaning if it's ever been registered for the road you can drive it forever without a change to it, but the fluctuating factor is the affordability. With environmental legislation and finite supply fossil fuels will eventually become much more expensive, but I doubt that legislators even have classic cars in mind in their environmental concerns because only a tiny fraction of cars will ever not end up on junkyards. What they're mostly interested in is finding new technology for future cars.
>>
>>13993762
Everything you do, including the simple fact of being alive, contributes to climate change you brainless twat.

And if you think that electric cars are good for the environment, you need to look into what has to happen just to get the batteries for one to you. The environmental cost is astounding.

But guess what? Our entire world is built upon oil. Everything you own is either made from it, or transported by something that uses it for fuel or lubrication.

You got a better idea? Lets hear it.
>>
Some are saying that we can be clean within so-and-so much time, but on a general basis the full transition to fully electric vehicles and public transport would only be functional in the richest and most well-established cities in the world, and even then the power itself needs to be green and sustainable, the production and recycling of the cars must be green and sustainable, and even then there would be people whose transportation needs would be too much for the range and capabilities of any EV-vehicle we have now or that we are likely to see within 15 years, which is the timespan that a lot of politicians around my parts have said that we can make our capital and larger cities completely pollution-free
>>
Why dont we just use ethanol or similar again? It works for brazil, and given that you can make it out of almost anything im sure it could be done without a huge hassle, we already have e85 pumps here and there and everything ford and chebby make are flex fuel. You wouldnt even need a new car. Sure it still emits co2, but at the same time your producing x amount more plant biomass to create it in the first place.
>>
>>13993762
Is it possible for an electric car to have a manual transmission?
Doesn't Tesla only have one gear?
I'd have no problem driving an electric/solar car if it was still manual transmission.
Things I'd miss would be the smells of petrol and exhaust sound.

Maybe water combustion or something like that would sound cool or smell funky.
>>
>>13996156
>The environmental cost is astounding.
Right. This is a big problem, because the raw materials for conventional cars are gifted to us by unicorns and thus have no negative affect on the environment.
>>
>>13993762
>climate change
Prove it, bernie prius fag
>>
>>13998058
Climate change is real, but it's 95% natural. We're not helping though. The gay ass Prius that OP drives does fuck all for the environment.
>>
>>13998212
>>13998058
>being this clueless

I love how polution is a political issue in america

such a backwards country
>>
File: 1393192776533.jpg (530 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1393192776533.jpg
530 KB, 2000x1500
>>13998058
DID SOMEONE SAY PRIUS >:Ξ
>>
>>13996466
Making Ethanol expends more energy than it produces, uses more petroleum products than it saves, it artificially drives up crop prices, and there will never be enough land to sustain the needs of just our country's own fuel consumption.
>>
>>13995794
>the economy is based on a soft lump of pleb tier metal and peoples attachment to it.
We don't even use gold. Our economy depends on numbers we can trade, and we accept it only because others will accept it.
>>
File: br_fc_street.jpg (89 KB, 1000x418) Image search: [Google]
br_fc_street.jpg
89 KB, 1000x418
I used to care, but now I understand that nuclear energy will never be accepted by the frightened public. There's no effective preemptive action available, because we aren't at a critical point yet, and people/governments/industry won't take productive action until they feel the effects in their daily lives.

So fuck it. Let it happen. I just hope we become an aesthetic as fuck environmental dystopia.
>>
the only way fossil fuels will die out is when we literally run out or it becomes economically unviable. the best way to kill the petroleum industry is to use and waste as much of it as possible.

humans are reactionary in nature

I truly believe this. not trying to be b8
>>
File: 1447892500867.png (217 KB, 476x310) Image search: [Google]
1447892500867.png
217 KB, 476x310
>>13993762
>Driving is a privilege, not a right, and we all need to recognize that fact for the good of humanity.

Fuck off, freedom of movement is a right. I guess now that it's impossible to say anything that goes against SJW dogma, the Greens are revealing their authoritarian nature.
>>
>>13993762
>i dont own a truck
>you shouldnt be allowed to own a truck
>i dont own a gun
>you shouldnt be allowed to own a gun
>i dont vote
>you shouldnt be allowed to vote
>i dont eat meat
>you shouldnt be allowed to eat meat
>i dont make any decisions for myself
>you shouldnt be allowed to make your own decisions

Communism is best, right /k/omrade?

also
>>13994070
>Can't wait to drive my diesel truck tomorrow
this
and
>>13994234
>Electric cars are terrible for the environment.
this
>>
File: prius_repellent.jpg (309 KB, 1997x1124) Image search: [Google]
prius_repellent.jpg
309 KB, 1997x1124
>>13998305
>>
File: 1411341209622.jpg (607 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1411341209622.jpg
607 KB, 4500x4334
>people still believe the "fossil fuels will run out soon!!!" meme

At the rate we're extracting oil right now, we'll be 1000% more likely to run out of fresh water than oil.

>Canada proven oil reserves: 175 billion barrels
>Venezuela proven oil reserves: 297 billion barrels
>Saudi Arabia proven oil reserves: 268 billion barrels
>Iraq and Iran proven oil reserves: 204 billion barrels
>Kuwait proven oil reserves: 104 billion

Just those six countries alone have over 1,040,000,000,000 combined barrels of oil. The world currently consumes approximately 1,400,000 barrels per day, and it's not increasing very fast. Just those six above listed countries could support our oil consumption for the next 2035 years, but yeah, we're totally going to run out of oil within our lifetime!!!
>>
>>13999810
Its the rate at which oil can be exactracted that's going to pose a problem sometime this century, not the total reserve of the stuff.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-08-02h09m49s027.png (404 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-08-02h09m49s027.png
404 KB, 1280x528
>>13998885
>I just hope we become an aesthetic as fuck environmental dystopia
I too hope it's one filled with bicycles.

>>13999121
>freedom of movement is a right
You are absolutely right, but it's not an absolute right. There's no right to drive a combine harvester down a busy pedestrian street. Likewise, the privilege of driving a motor vehicle generally is restricted to those who have demonstrated the ability to operate one safely and in accordance to the limitations which ensure the safety of others within and in the vicinity of the motor vehicle.

I think you'll find that most rules that apply to motor vehicles apply exclusively to them, so it only makes sense that cyclists only follow half as many laws.

>>13999810
>wat is energy return on energy invested?
>>
OK, so calm down. Think of it this way. How many people are driving cars that are 20 years or older? Not many. All transportation is 1/3 of pollution, that's including the huge boats that are = to 200k cars a day. 1/3 is heat, 1/3 is electricity. So in 20 years when 75% of our energy is renewable or nuclear, do you think anyone is going to care about a tiny portion of people who are doing a hobby? Oil will be more expensive then too, so even fewer people will be able to drive old fashion cars.

I think the bigger issue will be how many roads are "auto" only. Meaning you have to have automation to go through. Certainly all major cities will not allow drivers.
>>
>>13999987
Alberta (just by its oil sands) produces double that per day. Just one section of Alberta'a oilpatch is making over 2 million barrels a day.
>>
>>13999987
that's certainly not a problem. Clearly consumption is going to drop.
>>
>>13994105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFTOUfhOu8
just incase anyone was wondering.
>>
>>13993762
>How long do you expect to be able to drive a car that contributes to climate change?
>Pic related should be obscene to any decent person, especially people who drive.

Well since diesel always influenced the troposphere the same way forest fires do while not even producing downright harmful carbon monoxide that directly influences the stratosphere, I would say I feel pretty good. Diesel is currently the closest to be a renewable fuel that works better in both power and emission than the previous petroleum mixtures.

>>13993787
Confirmed to never be in Los Angeles, or that point would actually be validated if you were to stay in Guadalajara which is not even close to Mexico City.
>>
>>14002196
it's really a shame that diesel is shunned because of coal rolling faglords

diesel is based

and fuck all oil companies for pricing diesel above premium gasoline, that shit makes no fucking sense
>>
File: 1447845079826-3.jpg (12 KB, 241x241) Image search: [Google]
1447845079826-3.jpg
12 KB, 241x241
>>14002207
>fuck all oil companies for pricing diesel above premium gasoline, that shit makes no fucking sense

If you live in California, diesel is currently the cheapest.
>>
>>14002212
but I don't, I'm on the other coast m8
>>
>>13993806
> no one reads the article about biologically sourced feedstocks for fractional refining that fit current distribution infrastructure but are lifecycle carbon negative.
I feel you bro. Worst side effect of the Saudi dumping, it's really dimmed the research into the shit that makes current technology and infrastructure environmentally friendly.
>>
>>13993934
Birthrates are falling even in developing countries. We will never see 15 billion, never mind 20.
>>13995979
Diesel isn't gasoline. For a given amount of air or power adder, a dirty tune is more powerful than a clean tune. Injecting more diesel doesn't cause quench, and EGTs are highest rich, not lean.
>>14002207
Diesel is shit for passenger cars, deal with it.
>>
>>13993762
I have a pickup truck I just got a few weeks ago.
The fuel gauge, like most old ass cars, doesnt work.
The other day, I fucking ran out of gas after about 40 miles of trips to smog centers (california), muffler shop, ect.
It has a 16 gallon tank.

How does this make you feel, faggot?
>>
>>13993762
>/n/ here

How the hell could somebody "main" a board as low traffic as /n/? Threads will get a couple posts per day and stay up for weeks.
>>
>>14002207
The oil companies don't do that.. it's called taxes.

>>13995979
>you can make more power and get better mileage doing it properly, and it will burn clean.
Kid who has never tuned an engine detected

A car can be a) economical b) clean or c) make power
it cannot be maximizing more than one at a time.

and a rich mixture will make more power than a stoich one. depending on cylinder pressure sometimes as low as 11:1 rich is super rich.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (365 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
365 KB, 2560x1440
>>13993762
OP will never stop me from driving my virtual death machines
>>
>>14002334
Throwing molotovs out the back of that at niggers owns
>>
File: 1449088799655.gif (557 KB, 214x188) Image search: [Google]
1449088799655.gif
557 KB, 214x188
>>14002242
>Diesel is shit for passenger cars, deal with it.

Confirmed to never have passengers in a loaded car going uphill.
>>
>>13994234
>Electric cars are terrible for the environment.
Check out captain 90s over here

>>13996535
>Is it possible for an electric car to have a manual transmission?
No, because electric motors do not have the narrow torque band that combustion engines have so don't need a gearbox, clutch and all the usual parts that go with it
>>
>>14002717
This, diesel-powered engines are more fuel efficient than any gas-powered engine in every way.
>>
>>14000396
Clearly.
>>
>>14002328
Oh, I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of properly tuned diesels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18R5ZEKxuc
>>
File: 1431504644313.jpg (106 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1431504644313.jpg
106 KB, 500x667
>>14000375
Something is wrong with this math. We're consuming 1.4m barrels and producing 2m just in one area? Where is the other 700,000 barrels from the sands going? Let alone the rest of the world's production.

I don't pretend to know the numbers, but I do know you're retarded.
>>
based supertruck
>>
>>14003005
I can't hear you over basic fucking physics. Go read a beginner tuning manual and then come back.
>>
>>14003005
>properly tuned diesels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22b27P9Pk9E
>>
>>13993843

>you would be requiring even the poorest people to give up their only source of mobility

what are mopeds
what are electric bikes
what are bikes
what are shoes
what are feet

stay retarded /o/, stay retarded
>>
>>13993843
>to give up their only source of mobility
The United States of failed infrastructure, everyone.
>>
>>13995979
Even actual coal burning vehicles (steam locos) know that black smoke is un-burnt fuel going out the exhaust, and therefore total waste.
>>
>>14002717
>>14002976
What kind of gutless penalty boxes do you drive?

For stop and go driving, a car that can use regenerative braking (eg. hybrid or electric) is superior, and for long highway cruising, a variable displacement engine correctly sized to the car is just as good.

Diesel has NVH issues that necessitate higher weight equipment, and with the exception of cheaty diesels, the modest fuel efficiency gains are outweighed by the increased cost of maintenance, and increased purchase price.
>>
>>14004457
What increased cost of maintenance?
>>
>>14004421
>therefore total waste
Diesel isn't literally coal, if your diesel is blowing black soot, you've had to create that soot in a reduction reaction. This reduction reaction is exothermic. You can't quench cool a diesel like you can a gas motor, running rich means running hotter.

Yes, if you could cram more air into the combustion chamber to balance the AFR, it'd make more power, but for a given safe level of boost on a given flow rate setup (ie a given maximum achievable combustion chamber air capacity), injecting more diesel than the stoichiometric AFR will result in more heat and more power than a clean burn. The limiting factor is how much heat your engine can withstand. Exhaust valves start to fail as Exhaust Gas Temperatures approach 1500°F, so you limit your fueling to keep temp below that level, to prevent meltdown.

Which is why all the turbo specification limited classes of sled pulling trucks blow huge quantities of black smoke. That's how you make power with diesel.
>>
>>14004382
>electric anything
67% of the electricity produced in the US in 2015 comes from burning fossil fuels.

You ecofucks need to check yourselves before you wreck yourselves.
>>
>>14004465
Greater quantities of more expensive oil, coking on EGR motors much worse than GDI motors, injector rebuilds that can cost as much as a complete top end refresh on a gas motor, ablu refills, service to SCR equipment, service to DPF, more expensive fuel filters, more expensive oil filters.

There is a reason why all three major manufacturers offer gas engines in their medium duty trucks, unless you are doing a lot of highway running, the gassers are cheaper to run than diesels. Despite burning around a third more fuel.

The story is the same with the 3 series and the Cruze.

The Golf diesel was the one exception, but now we know why. They cheated.
>>
>>14004358
Look at all that power going out the exhaust that couldve been burned in the cylinders if you'd only gave it some air.
>>
>>14004358
>>14004816
Not to mention that engine will clog itself in less time than it takes a dorito to eat its own apex seals.
>>
>>14004553
We can produce electricity from nuclear power if the will is there. Pouring uranium into your fuel tank is not as effective.
>>
>>14004866
>Implying the same hippies that decry fossil fuels aren't also stopping widespread nuclear power

Muh chernobyl, muh 3 mile island, muh fukishima
>>
>>14004946
Strangely there's no "muh SL-1."
>>
>>14004984
No one knows about SL-1, they only care about Chernobyl and maybe Fukishima since they were far more recent and high profile
>>
>>14004995
Well as far as those limited to US, TMI didn't kill anyone, whilst SL-1 shot a control rod through a guy.
>>
>>14005019
TMI made a lot of hubbub, SL-1 was ignored by the plebians
>>
OP i dont a car that drives itself or keeps running to the charge point like a crackhead.

i dont need a car that gets its fuel from a coal fired power station.
nor do i need a car that has battery that has the same charge life as a iphone. and doesnt cost a small fortune to make the car when 90% of the cost is tree hugger tech.

you are telling me watered down corn gas is better for my car? its not long term.
or run a diesel on used fry oil? who is in dreamland now? to use the amount you are talking about you have to own and run your own commercial deep fat fryer...
>>14004946
you are years too late the big three was thinking about nucular powered cars in the 1960's
>>
>>13994003
Guess out of what these lithium battery cells are made, and how costly and energy consuming their prodution is.
>>
>>14005019
SL-1 was nearly brushed under the rug because of its relative remoteness.
>But who gives a fuck about the radiation it shot into the atmosphere, so long as it didn't kill some of my forest or some of my civilians then I don't give a fuck
Seriously we need to develop fusion or focus solely on solar power by placing panels in space.
>>
>>14000060

If you don`t believe in absolute rights then you are authoritarian. The geography of North America makes a motor vehicle integral to freedom of movement. Taking away the means of movement is the same as abolishing the right itself.

Not driving a combine down a city street comes down common courtesy, not mention, what the hell is a combine doing in the city? The only reason why licensing exists is because it's an excuse for the government to put it's hand deeper in your pocket. If they actually gave a shit about safety they wouldn't give everyone with a pulse a license. And hey, if everyone was trained to drive decently that would affect their buddies in insurance!

As for traffic laws, you'll find that stopping at stop lights and signaling your intent applies to you too. I can only hope you find out the hard way.
>>
The batteries in your Tesla cause far more pollution during their production than a Hummer ever will. They'll fail long before the saved emissions break even in a country with low carbon energy and you haven't a hope in hell in a country like the USA that generates so much from coal.
>>
>>14005116
SL-1 was an absolutely tiny core and the fallout released was minimal although, ironically the release was larger than TMI.

There's actually a nice INL report on it here:
http://www4vip.inl.gov/publications/d/proving-the-principle/chapter_15.pdf

For the entire book:
http://www4vip.inl.gov/publications/
>>
>>14004946
>if the will is there
I wasn't implying that at all.

>>14005314
>If you don`t believe in absolute rights then you are authoritarian
Ok cool, I'm not an authoritarian by your definition.

>what the hell is a combine doing in the city?
I ask the same question of private motor vehicles.

>If they actually gave a shit about safety they wouldn't give everyone with a pulse a license
Most licensing regimes don't.
>>
>>13993762
Pretending humans affect climate change.... Hhahahahahhaahah
>>
>>14004043
http://www.energy.alberta.ca/oilsands/791.asp

Maybe you should look up the numbers before you call people retards. I don't even think I understand your argument. You do know oil can be held in storage right?
>>
>>14005823
>2.3 million barrels a day

Jesus Christ. If Canada had good politicians Alberta could make the country so rich.
>>
>>14005823
Okay genius. Where do you keep a million extra barrels of oil?
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 1166x837) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 1166x837
>>14005862
Top kek is this a joke? Tank farms. Lots and lots of giant tanks. They're everywhere in any place with high oil production.
>>
>>14005851

Fuck off money-grabbing Quebecois, we already pay literal billions of dollars in transfer payments to you cunts every year. Get your own economy.
>>
>>14005886
I know that feel. The correct statement would be: if alberta has good politicians we could be rich.
>>
>>14002242
>Birthrates are falling even in developing countries
only among whites though
>>
>>14006434
Nope. Completely wrong. Birth rates are lowest amongst European whites, but birth rates are falling fastest amongst sub Saharan Africans. Seriously, they've gone from 14per to 9 per in 15 years.

That would be like Italy dropping to less than 1 child per couple.

The only demographic seeing birth rate increases are protestant Christian whites in the US.

World wide.

Learn calculus, it'll really open your eyes to statistics.
>>
>>13993762
All this emissions and economic crap is a scam. Government and environmental groups push for emissions so every car/truck/rig has to be smogged. Petroleum companies produce less to up the prices. Environmentals push for "green energy" aka electricity powered cars, which then are backed by the electric companies.
>>
>>14007802
>Government and environmental groups push for emissions so every car/truck/rig has to be smogged.
>People concerned with smog are making sure that every car emits less smog.
Is that supposed to seem problematic for some reason?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog
>>
>>13993762
>Blame the petrochemical industry and the car industry for burying electric cars and stifling innovation
>hur dur low loss energy dense batteries aren't worth untold fortunes
>hur dur batteries are thousands of times less energy dense than hydrocarbons or hydrogen because muh tin foil
>muh climate change is the same as catastrophic global warming/climate change meme
>who needs research and facts when I heard someone say something based on a biased survey with small participation created and preformed for propaganda?

Although yes, people should be biking around town simply because bike roads cost next to nothing to create and maintain compared to automotive roads.
>>
File: stuck-in-traffic-jam.jpg (189 KB, 554x365) Image search: [Google]
stuck-in-traffic-jam.jpg
189 KB, 554x365
>>14008776
It would also save millions of euro of productivity lost to gridlock and illnesses related to sedentary lifestyles.
>>
>>14007802
no it is just when commuter fags shit things up
>>
Why is all of American politics and actions based on spite?
>>
>>14009959
Why is the entire rest of the world so concerned with us?
>>
>>14009971
Because the US infects the entire world with its stupidity.
>>
>>14005862
empty salt mines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Petroleum_Reserve_%28United_States%29
>>
>>13993762
There are like 15 shipping ships that pollute more than every car on the planet. Passenger vehicles do fuck all which sucks cause the idiot masses only care about small stuff. These shipping companies pay millions to keep eyes away from them. Nuclear power would solve a lot of problems but people are too scared. I plan on driving "polluting contributing vehicles" for a long time
Also; meat production pollutes more too but hey; why fix the real problems
>>
>>13993762
Man you sound like the car version of a gun grabber. "Anon you don't need 30 bullets in a clip for hunting"
You: "Anon you don't need that V8 with all that horsepower and bad emissions, you can only go 65 mph".
>>
>>13993762
>>>/n/
>>
>>14011607
http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/
Forgot my source
You can look it up yourself if you don't trust gizmag. First one that came up
Just goes to show though the masses refuse to actually bring real change to the world. We get gratification from the little things
>>
>>14011499
You're equally retarded for adopting our shit
>>
>>13993762

Diesel is the most at risk and I find it way more likely that Europoors will have to cope with that than me. Gas engines aren't going anywhere in my life time. If the faggots in power ever try some bullshit displacement tax in the US, it'll be crushed quick. We like our Barges and Trucks too much.

Either way, I'll be driving classics and won't have to deal with any of it. If they do push taxes, I bet fucking money there will be exemptions for "antique" cars.
>>
>>14011838
We don't have a choice.
>>
File: karmann diagram.png (366 KB, 1729x1694) Image search: [Google]
karmann diagram.png
366 KB, 1729x1694
>>14011607
>>14011628
>If the various requirements are enforced, the International Maritime Organization's marine fuel requirement will mean a 90% reduction in sulphur oxide emissions;[9] whilst the European Union is planning stricter controls on emissions.[10]
It's not true to say that cargo ship pollution is going ignored. Shipping is highly efficient energy efficient as well.

>>14011858
>I bet fucking money there will be exemptions for "antique" cars.
That's the usual way of doing things. Where I live motor tax for newly registered cars ranges from €120 (0 g/km CO2) to €2350 (>225 g/km CO2). Cars over thirty years old are taxed at a flat €56. Very few cars that old see significant use, so nbd.
>>
>>13993762
Good thing catastrophic anthropogenic global warming is a myth perpetrated by anti-industrial leftist kekolds
>>
sorry i dont drive american cars so i dont contribute shit to climate change
>>
>>14015978
Hahahahahahaha

American cars comply with the strictest emissions standards in the entire world

Try harder
>>
File: 1313594823636.jpg (10 KB, 200x332) Image search: [Google]
1313594823636.jpg
10 KB, 200x332
>>14015997
>American cars comply with the strictest emissions standards in the entire world
laffin
>pre 70s
>american cars are raping the planets resources 6 ways from sunday
>after 70s
>but we is enviromentell lmao!!111 get ur shit together other countries xD
>>
>>13995700
>>13995766
>the planet is already fucked
>lets fuck it up EVEN MORE

holy fuck, you cunts are retarded
>>
>>14016001
>pre 70s cars having any significance in 2015

Hahahahahaha

Keep trying dumbass
>>
>>13999243
strawman.jpg
>>
File: 1331520303346.jpg (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1331520303346.jpg
17 KB, 640x480
>>14016027
pic related its you
>>
File: 1419448184664.gif (511 KB, 329x240) Image search: [Google]
1419448184664.gif
511 KB, 329x240
>>14016001
>P0456
>>
>>14016034
That's not strawman

That's literally the logic of some Americans and even /o/

>you don't need a truck just use a car trailer
>>
>>14016037
>ur just mad kek

Lmao

You're talking about cars over 40 years old like they have any significant amount of environmental impact in 2015

The US has the most strict emissions requirements in the world now.

Kindly fuck back off to your 1.0L diesel smog ridden third world country
>>
>>14005790
>pretending they arent the cause
how are you going to justify your argument against the scientific community? You know, the people most qualified to answer that...
>>
>>14016045
see
>>14016037
>>
>>14015997
>>14016045
What are the limits for CO2 emissions in the US?
>>
It'll be fine everyone will just buy a brand new low emissions / electric car when the government says oh wait
>>
>>14017354
What are the CO2 limits for emissions in Europe? There aren't any, anywhere, just different tax rates for different fuel consumption levels. In the US, we have the toughest NOx, unburned hydrocarbon, and particulate emissions standards in the world.

But in all seriousness, comparing our fuel economy standards to Europe's is silly considering the hilariously flawed methodology behind the NEDC test. I mean, the EPA cycle favors turbocharged small displacement motors unrealistically already, but NEDC is a joke by comparison, and tuning for a good NEDC CO2 score under Euro 4 or 5 means releasing the maximum permitted levels of several much stronger (and also poisonous) greenhouse gases in the way of NOx and ethylene evaporates.
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.