[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noob QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: winged insect.jpg (64 KB, 466x720) Image search: [Google]
winged insect.jpg
64 KB, 466x720
1. How does tire pressure affect drivability? I know they're massively deflated for drag and racecars, but for road cars, what does it do? Heard of people adjusting for drifting, how do?

2. Can fwd drift?
(Inb4 fwd can compete fags) , couple of my friends say it can cuz muh /vg/ but I want to know.

3. How hard is it to "bolt on a turbo". Does this kill reliability? Is it meme or mandatory?

Feel free to ask your own friend-/o/s
>>
1) changes the contact patch and how the tire reacts to load. tire pressure lets you fine tune the dynamics of your car as long as the tire stays in the optimal temperature range. but driftfags are retarded so they probably just pump them up to reduce contact patch = easier to slide.

2) no

3) a turbo isn't a bolt on mod by any stretch of the imagination. and the second part of your question is more complicated than just yes or no. on a street car with low boost, no it shouldn't affect reliability if done properly.
>>
so what exactly am i fucking supposed to do when im driving fast to remain safe? when car crash videos are posted everyone is an expert on what he did wrong.

but what DO I DO if i go into a corner and realize i'm going a little too fast??? you're not supposed to lift on the throttle so what, just driftking the corner? what are basic "dos and donts" of driving a canyon/country road quickly. everyone seems to be an expert on this but i must have missed that class.
>>
>>13972499
>what are basic "dos and donts" of driving a canyon/country road quickly
1. Know the road extremely well. Every turn, bump, patch of worn out asphalt. Think of waking up in the middle of the night and taking a piss and going back to bed without waking up completely.
2. Know your car extremely well. What it can and can't do.
3. Drive fast and hope no one from the other direction swerves into your lane.

OR

Don't be a stupid kid and drive responsibly.

>so what exactly am i fucking supposed to do when im driving fast to remain safe?
Don't think that the fact that you're doing everything to ensure your and other peoples safety (other than speeding) means someone else won't fuck up and cause your death or that you won't provoke road rage or other racebois.

TL;DR
Don't speed. You cannot speed safely.
>>
>>13972585
no but i mean like. what do i do if i go into a corner too fast.
>>
>>13972536
1. Thank you.
2. Thought so
3. Figured it wouldn't be that cut and dry, and the motoring world works on "depends" so that's fair.

Thanks based anon
>>
>>13972549
Kek no answers because no one here is actually old enough to drive.

Downshift before turn, let off gas and hope nobody is in the other lane
>>
>>13972588
Pray.
>>
I bought myself a 2015 hoondai shitbox this summer after i graduated. Its an ok DD but that's about it, other than that i dont really like it all. How does one get rid of a brand new car? I would probably wait till im more financial sound, but the benefit of this mistake is that im building credit for my dumbass self.
>>
>>13972549
you cant push the limits on a canyon. you just can't. you're gonna crash if you do its not a matter of if but when. the only way to learn how to drive fast is on a track - after making mistakes.

someone who only drives canyons and has never been to a track is a slow shitty driver they just dont know it yet.

just drive well within your ability and dont push it. realize that you suck, have no recovery experience, and drive accordingly. no one is clocking times so there's really no one to impress. thus its not worth it.

the second part of your question has too many variables. the realistic answer is that theres nothing you can do. if you're too fast and youve apexed too soon into a decreasing radius late apex corner youre basically fucked in all honesty. public roads have no runoff so gg.

as far as lift off oversteer and how to recover slides and how to react to different things, that's all muscle memory and experience. it's not something you can teach through text with a cookie cut answer. it's just a feeling. a feeling you can't hone on a public road.

I know you see ricer vids of people hooning on public roads and highways in hong kong and japan and shit, but the reality is that they aren't going very fast and the roads aren't challenging plus they've driven them a 1000 times. if you get into a sticky situation at actual speed on a canyon road you're fucked, period.
>>
>>13972611
i really appreciate this answer but i want to clarify. i mreally not talking about hooning. i dont go that much faster than the speed limit, i dont want to slide. i just want to knwo what to do if i accidentally misjudge and go too fast.
>>
>>13972628
nothing really. crank the wheel and apply the brake like you would when trail braking into a corner. light to medium braking will keep the car stable and slow you down but too much will induce oversteer. you can usually feel the threshold. just dont panic and start making crazy heavy inputs thats where people get into trouble. just ride it out and make sensible corrections.

if youre not excessively speeding lift off oversteer is not something you need to worry about and in a situation like you describe oversteer will likely be a good thing as long as you dont freak out and over correct.
>>
>>13972646
yeah i get oversteer on a few of the turns every once in a while, it scares me but i just chill and countersteer and kep my foot on the gas because i've always heard people say not to lift off and it usually corrects or DSC will kick in... which im not sure if that is a good or bad thing? what would you consider not excessively speeding?i have 2 roads i drive down where the speed limit is 45-50 and i usually can take the corners at like.... 60-70. i have an e92 m3. should i worry about liftoff oversteer?
>>
>>13972646
**too much will induce understeer

too much brake will just make you go straight. you're trying to find the balance between the brake slowing you down, but still allowing you to turn the car is what I mean. you should be able to sense that balance as it's happening.
>>
>>13972654
yeah, you recover a slide with throttle mostly and sensible steering correction.
most people just chop the throttle and over correct cause they panic then it loops or even worse snaps back the other direction.

I would just go to an HPDE event honestly. Take your car through a sweeper (on a track) and induce some oversteer by letting off the throttle. You just gotta get a feel for it all cars are different. Then you'll have an indication of where the limit is and can stay safe on the road.

And an e92 m3 is a great HPDE car.
>>
>>13972611
HA this was exactly the case in Forza Horizon and Forza 4.

Go race some of these idiots on the mountain tracks. They'll brag and brag about how they're amazing at the mountain, touge, and their times on the leaderboards.

the funny thing is they're all shit on the actual circuit races. Skill from mountain running comes from repetition and learning the tricks of navigating the bumps and tight corners.

Challenge them on any circuit besides Tsukuba(the jdm initial d circle jerk is a real thing outside the Internet) and you'll wipe the floor with them. Then they'll start bitching and telling you how they're faster on the mountain then they are and that's where the most skill is required
>>
>>13972499
One thing that's important to note is that race cars have wildly different tires than what's on street tires.
Racing tires are kind of like big floppy balloons (stupid analogy I'm sorry) compared to street tires since racing tires don't have sidewalls that are defined as much as street tires.
So be careful in comparing your shitbox's tires to race car tires because the mechanics don't always transfer over.

Also, FWD can't really drift because they can't maintain oversteer through throttle application.
>>
1.4 TSI engines from this decade - any drivers here?
I want to get the current Jetta in, like, 6-8 years, so its mileage is gonna be high. I like the car, but I want to ask about maintenance.
>>
File: pop quiz.jpg (59 KB, 668x513) Image search: [Google]
pop quiz.jpg
59 KB, 668x513
Who has the right of way /o/?
>>
>>13972588

Depart from your line of travel and hope there's nothing in the way.
>>
>>13973296
Easy, sad car, turning right as opposed to left-turning Twing.
>>
>>13973296
right rule.
>>
>>13973315
The twinger is going forward and why is the 86 sad?
>>
>>13972606
Well to be honest, the longer you keep the car, the more it depreciates and the more you lose. Since you bought it new, you've already taken a pretty big hit on depreciation. I don't know how much your loan is for it, but my advice would be to sell it now and pay off the rest of the loan. Then think hard about what car you want and get that instead. I don't think it's a huge fuckup because Hyundais aren't too expensive, but consider this a life lesson about buying expensive things.
>>
>>13973332
Because it's not a Twingo in this pic. :^)
Twingo is going forward but leaving the main road, so it has to use its left blinker, m8.
>>
>>13973339
What? Why does it have to use the left blinker? He's just going forward.
>>
>>13973370
The confusion here is that the arrow points forward but the Twingo is facing a bit left so it looks like it's turning.
>>
>>13973388
>tfw too dense and didn't get it in time

Damn it.
>>
>>13972499
1. http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/massive-list-of-solutions-to-understeeroversteer/

2. They can not do a clutch kick entry under WOT

3. impossible to "bolt on", very difficult to DIY, supercharger kits -are- bolt on and more reliable than a turbo. A professionally done turbo won't kill reliability. It's a meme, all a turbo allows you to do is go faster, but seeing as how most cars on the road can already go the speed limit, there is no need.
>>
File: windows 10 still has this tool.png (20 KB, 845x557) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 still has this tool.png
20 KB, 845x557
>>13973370
I didn't think I'd have to use my touchpad+mspaint.exe skills, but here ya go m80.
>>
>>13972499
on old cars with weight balance issues tires with the most weight on them are slightly deflated to improve grip

the important thing is to keep a very close eye on the slip angle of the front wheels and modulate the breaks and throttle accordingly
smooth application of steering lock and throttle helps here (in general cars with 60% mass over one axle require micro management)

>very short inertial drifts
>trail breaking and hand brake slides work much the same way
>lift off over steer (very dangerous and difficult to recover from)

you are loosing speed during a drift and when you get back on the power in an fwd car the drift ends
minimal counter steer is used when getting a fwd out of a drift - a little esoteric but it works

the complex part is ensuring correct lubrication and cooling for the turbo
some motors do fine on stock internals others require new pistons and connecting rods
other considerations are the waste gate controller and turbo timer
and if your car is efi you want to make use of anti knock sensing

a word of warning is that some warrant of fitness stations can check for the presence of a turbo by the presence of certain metal flecks in the oil
cheeky beeky who de mod there car to pass rego then put the parts back on after get caught out by this
>>
>>13973419
Good info, all of it.

Are most of these mods illegal? Would a cheap supercharger or turbo kit make my car a rolling misdemeanor?
>>
>>13973404
But the not twingu is going right.
>>
>>13972588
dopple apex of surprise and fear
prey no one is coming the other way

I have seen too many videos where the red line is taken
>>
>>13973440
Forgive me padre I'm tired and post bullshit. Will repost in a moment.
>>
>>13973448
Nah it's ok lmao, I get it.

>tfw nobody can ever laugh at me for asking this retarded question because we're anonymous

devilish.jpg
>>
>>13973296
>top of the t give way to me
in nz the twingo wins
>>
File: windows 10 still has this tool.png (30 KB, 845x557) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 still has this tool.png
30 KB, 845x557
>>13973459
But I WILL deliver. The joke was at me confusing left with right. I am definitely not driving anymore today.
>>
>>13973464
Interesting. What about the UK?
>>
>>13973459
And, at least from my point of view, why would one laugh at instead of rather be angry at someone, when we want safe traffic?
>>
>>13973470
Yo I am retarded. The left blinker is part of the joke earlier, right?
>>
>>13973475
>tfw nobody can ever get angry at me for asking this retarded question because we're anonymous

D E V I L I S H
E
V
I
L
I
S
H
>>
>>13973439
>Are most of these mods illegal
it depends where you live
some places are very dickish about the upper power limit available to learner classes of licence
and yet other places will be strict on emissions and noise level
then insurance company's will try to claim your car is a death trap

thankfully where I live only significant changes to structural integrity or suspension components raise eyebrows during inspection
>>
File: i love you touchpad.png (14 KB, 845x557) Image search: [Google]
i love you touchpad.png
14 KB, 845x557
>>13973478
Toyota (or whatever was at the pic somewhere above) leaves the main road and goes RIGHT.

Twingo wants to leave the main road going LEFT.

The right rule says Twingo it has to let Toyota go first.

BOTH cars leave the main road so drivers HAVE TO use appropriate blinkers, right for Toyota and left for Twingo.

If Twingo doesn't use the left blinker it indicates it STAYS on the main road -> so it has to turn right OR have sex with the car driving as in pic related.
>>
>>13973512
What country are you from? I'm 100% certain where I'm from we don't need to signal unless we're changing lanes or directions, or entering roundabouts So if I'm the twingo I wouldn't signal since I'm driving forward.

I feel dumb right now.
>>
>>13973538
Interesting. I thought it was obvious for any LHD country to use blinkers in that situation. Poland, what about you?
>>
>>13973547
Bulgaria. My driving instructor has never told me I should signal left in that situation. I've driven on that road several times with him.
>>
>>13973472
nz law has changed very recently so its a bit of a clusterfuck
most fully qualified drivers did not even follow the old law
http://www.themissingyear.com/archives/665
>>
>>13973560
Mine - on the contrary - said so. Otherwise I'd be honked and kurwa'ed at.
http://nigge.rs/id/chen
>>
>>13973398
You need some overhead so that you can drive efficiently at the speed limit, you also need a great amount of acceleration, handling, braking and traction to merge and also to avoid accidents from 15 year old on the road Tweeting about dumb shit. This performance overhead also usually means a bit higher top speed which smarmy people like to claim isn't necessary, but I call bullshit. Poor-fags in their Toyota Tercels just like to justify themselves.

>>13972499
Drive at the recommended tire pressure, because you're using stock sized tires and wheels (you better be) and that is what the car is designed to use and is tested with. Changing your tires and wheels out of spec is not the way to go about getting better handling on a daily driver.

It's possible to drift with front wheel drive, you just go about it differently than with a rear wheel drive. You learn how to flick the steering wheel just the right way and start sliding after a while, it just came natural to me. People who say front wheel drive can't drift or can only drift in reverse are just meme spouters who haven't applied themselves to learning how to drive a FWD vehicle, and then go on to post in RWD master race threads and buy Fast And Furious movie tickets.
>>
I have an 8 inch wheel, I want either a 45 or 50 profile tire, do I choose a 205 or a 225 width tire?
>>
>>13973578
My driving exam is next week and I keep getting confused more and more.
>>
>>13973598
Hope you make it without paying for retake, sir. :^)
>>
>>13973607
Joke's on you, this is gonna be my retake. :v)
>>
>>13973621
"What went wrong 2015?"
>>
>>13972499
>vw beetle
and nothing of value was lost
>>
>two cars try to change into the same lane on the highway

Who has right of way, assuming they both do it at the same time?
>>
File: ETRTOSchwalbe.jpg (46 KB, 600x247) Image search: [Google]
ETRTOSchwalbe.jpg
46 KB, 600x247
>>13973584
https://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/pbnew8inch.pdf
what is going on here ?
even an Austin mini has 10" wheels
>>
>>13973630
Don't wanna make excuses, but my first instructor didn't teach me shit and the exam was in a city I've never been in with a car I drove for the first time, because the instructor's car had broken down a day before. Got stressed out like a bitch and made a bunch of mistakes, couldn't even park because he made me do it on a tight street and there were cars in front of me and behind me so I spazzed out.

Right now I'm home and doing great with my new instructor 5 hours in. I've got this in the bag.
>>
>>13973640
>two cars try to change into the same lane on the highway
From left and right both into the middle or both from right to left?
>>13973645
I'm still not good at parking and have never driven in a city which has trams. I've had great instructors though and I'm really happy about it. I was examined 2 times longer than others yet made almost no mistakes, just once didn't accelerate back from 30 to 50 in a tight, yet "50" city road.
>>
>>13973678
In my opinion trams don't make it more difficult. They just have priority over you and you need to stop behind them when passangers are about to get on/off.

>didn't accelerate back from 30 to 50 in a tight, yet "50" city road

Is this really a mistake, as long as you're driving in the right hand lane and there's no minimum speed required sign? How long was your exam? Mine should be around 20 minutes.
>>
>>13973716
It would be considered demerit for "driving dynamics" then but:
1) laws changed so far so could the exam process
2) with "ecodriving" bullshit required now I have no idea what is more important, revs, empegees, speed or time
3) I just looked at my exam paper.
and
I see no demerit for driving dynamics here! But it seems I had to miss... a blinker. :^) "Lane change" - 1 demerit. So I fucked up a thing I am constantly telling you how not to fuck up. Well.
>>
>>13973744
My exam took 50 minutes, some drive even below 15 minutes and pass.
>They just have priority over you
Yeah, I'd let them go every time since my 780 kg shitbox is nothing compared to tonnes on rails but there are situations I'd be at fault. Seems strange.
>>
>>13973756
What the heck, there's no way they let you drive for 50 minutes.
>>
>>13973778
In this country it could even be EU-paid fuel reserves we had to consume and it was 31/12.
Even when it was nice wednesday morning, both I and the examiner were sleepy, btw.

Fucking captcha loves cactuses and grass.
>>
File: smug seat.jpg (45 KB, 282x327) Image search: [Google]
smug seat.jpg
45 KB, 282x327
PLS RESPOND!!!!!!

so like when your car is in neutral or park in an automatic or manual transmission car is the transmissions main shaft spinning? like are any of the shit in the transmission rotating?

pls respond!@@@@@@@@@
>>
>>13973820
Just use legacy captcha bruh, it's much better.
>>
>>13973833
I don't mind, just post that statement, but thanks. :)
>>
I want a second hand rx-7 FC I heard the GTUs is extremely rare and has LSD, how does a differencial change the driving experience?
Also is this 2+2 or 2 seater?

http://www.milanuncios.com/mazda-de-segunda-mano/mazda-rx7-s5-gtus-148677437.htm
>>
File: Mazda-RX7-S5-GTUs-148677437_4.jpg (30 KB, 640x383) Image search: [Google]
Mazda-RX7-S5-GTUs-148677437_4.jpg
30 KB, 640x383
>>13973929
I'm a bit suspicious over it only having 85.000
kms I tend to think that the more used a car is the better it's been looked after
>>
>>13973976
Mind it's a dorito which burns as much fuel as it can. I don't think they are considered the only DD anywhere except /o/.
>>
>>13973285
bumpito
>>
What if you're rich and very politely ask a car company to make you a classic car model you like that's out of production, instead of having to buy an old, rusty used one?
>>
>>13974080
>old chassis rusted to death
>can't rebuild cuz no chassis to be the base with VIN
>the are safety and emissions regulation car companies have to obey
>ur fukked
>>
>>13974099
Fuck I wish I was 18 and rich in the early 90s so I can drive cool cars.
>>
>>13974110
We all do, right?
>>
>>13974122
Right.
>>
>>13974039
>DD
What's a DD?
I drive a Shitbox Megane Coupé 1.6 wich is sorta OK I get 800Km out of a full deposit, I think I can handle the Rx-7.
I initially wanted a 944 but I'd be fucking nuts to get one.
I mainly like the looks and the fact it's a good car, with reasolnably priced replacements.
Any alternatives?
>>
>>13974216
Also did the math I think I drive a 32.9300417 Miles per gallon atm doing allot of highway
>>
>>13974099
>>13974110
>>13974122
>>13974124
Btw I wish I was a nignog, too.
https://youtu.be/yoYZf-lBF_U?t=22s
Or in Japan.
>>13974216
Daily driver.
>I think I can handle the Rx-7
I hope you can and will keep it in good shape for long so your kids know what a sports car is. Once again though - dorito is a bitch. Very expensive, demands special treatment and driving in the city will deafen you.

Since most of us are benchracers, I'm no worse and nothing provided in this post comes from my experience. :^)

Mine empegees are 33,6 only "highways".
>>
>>13974248
It's one of those situations where I feel I'll never be happy if I don't get that car.
I'm disgusted by any car produced lately and by that I mean like by 99% of cars I see on the street.
Spain's market is mostly modern family cars and civics.
I can afford rebuilds every now and then and I'm happy to invest a bit more than usual in engine oil and general maintenece.

Only other car I find atractive is the prelude but dem damn pop-ups senpai.
>>
>>13974278
>It's one of those situations where I feel I'll never be happy if I don't get that car.
When you can afford nice things, get them, at least you can.
>>
>>13974324
>When you can afford nice things, get them, at least you can.
Thanks for the inspiration, I recently finished my studies and I'm a webdev for a sorta ok'ish company, It all payed off
>>
>>13974335
I am to earn what 4chinz called gold tier degree, too, but I'm a shit of an engineer so far and I probably don't get a job and keep rolling same rust until it dies again.
>>
File: Abotond7-201110211605_6.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Abotond7-201110211605_6.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>13974358
I'm really pissed because I was happy with my shit megane coupé and I was self conscious I was driving a cheap shitbox, till I got ran into my back end.
The car has never been the same.
>>
Can someone post that "ranger danger" pic with the worried looking car please? I want it but can't find it on google.
>>
>>13972499
What's it like going fast?
>>
>>13977048
scary
>>
>>13973579
>You learn how to flick the steering wheel just the right way and start sliding after a while, it just came natural to me. People who say front wheel drive can't drift or can only drift in reverse are just meme spouters who haven't applied themselves to learning how to drive a FWD vehicle, and then go on to post in RWD master race threads and buy Fast And Furious movie tickets.
You're literally retarded.

you can't "drift" in a fwd car, period.

yeah you can slide into the entry of a corner, but that isn't drifting you incredible retard.
>>
>>13973579
Good point, but lets wait 10 years and see if those performance overheads last with self-driving autoautomobiles.
>>
>>13973827
define "main shaft" first, use schematics, drawings, diagrams, etc for clarification.
>>
>>13973929
If you drive economically, on dry days it makes very very little difference.
In low-traction situations, however, it can make maneuvering a RWD car more difficult, but the power delivery is much better, so it's much harder to get stuck in snow, for instance.
>>
>>13974496
But man, if dorito is not only what you want, but what you can have, go for it, don't let us talk you out of it. In few years there may be no fun RWD cars in yurop except rusted or superexpensive shit.
>>
>>13972588
git gud and lrn2crash properly
>>
>be me, 17 and lazy in usa
>get cool with the track coach
>he ends up being the driver's ed instructor next year
>always got weed, smoke him out a few times because he's my friend's dad and a huge stoner
>tell him after class that I'm too lazy to go take the test
>writes waiver for driving test because muh A+
>go to DMV
>$15 and a kiosk test later walk out with a permit
>cousin gets shot a week later
>back to DMV for hardship waiver cuz I don't wanna wait a few more months
>$15 more and I walk out with a full license at 17

tl;dr get cool with your driver's ed instructor for fun and profit
>>
One of the pieces of panels near my hood was coming off (1984 Benz 190E) so in my haste I applied gorilla glue. It holds, but I added too much and it seeped out of the area and looks like crap. Any way I can remove this, preferably without damaging paint? Don't have any pics right now.

>tl;dr how to remove gorilla glue from panel
>>
>>13978185

Try using an electrical buffer and some polish... most likely won't work, but its worth a try
>>
>>13978185
>14:39:53
>Benz
>>13978187
>14:41:46
>mightyBenz !glGDvWS83I
Do you scan the catalog for such keywords, M9? I approve, of course.
>>
>>13973827
I don't believe anything is spinning other than the output shaft because the driveshaft has to spin to something.
>>
>>13978187
Nah )% change that'll work, 100% change it'll ruin the cutting pad.

>>13978185
Cut that shit off carefully with a razor blade anon
>>
Is the rack and pinion another name for the steering column or is it a different part? I couldn't find a part called the steering column but the rack and pinion looks exactly the same, but I want to make sure before I blow that much money for something that might not be the right part.
>>
Why can't I pop the clutch to start my car anymore? I used to be able to...
>>
Nah - I'm an attention whore for sure, but I just happened to see that one and figured maybe my suggestion could work
>>
>>13978209
>>13979135
>>
> bfgoodrich at ko2
> 265 75 16 or 235 85 16?
>> they are the same height
> 7 inch wide rim
> pizza cutter is 4.5 pounds lighter and $17 MSRP cheaper per tire
> google says thinner tires are better in the snow and off road
which do the g/o/ds suggest?
>>
File: 280.jpg (288 KB, 1051x1685) Image search: [Google]
280.jpg
288 KB, 1051x1685
If I want to wire an amplifier so that it turns on when I turn on the ignition and turn off when I pull the key, is + to ignition and - to ground the correct setup? Thanks in advance
>>
>>13979391
That's not how amplifiers work in cars anon.
Amp is wired directly to battery.
Head Unit (Stero, Radio, whatever you call it) is powered by the OEM switched power. Most head units have a blue wire in their harness which you wire to the amp. This is called a remote turn-on wire. This signals the amp to switch on and draw current from the battery. Do not install an amp without connecting power to the battery and grounding it to the car properly.

If none of this makes sense, read Crutchfield.com's help guides, pay Best Buy or other audio shop to fuck your shit up Fäm.
>>
>>13979413
and lots dont like more than 500ma

id seriously not connect it to the ignition
>>
>>13978892
the steering column is the part behind your steering wheel, usually there are levers for things like wipers and turn signals attached to it. It also houses a shaft to connect the steering wheel to the rack underneath the car.

>>13979377
More contact patch = more grip
Though extremely wide tires may hydroplane in very wet conditions, you won't notice the increase from a 235 to a 265.
Assuming this is for a truck, a bunch of added weight on the rear will help a ton in snow.
You didn't specify the kind of off-roading, so thin tires are not necessarily better.
>>
How well does a rx-7 fc sit, I still have half a year insuarance on my old car and I've found a great deal of this car. I could lift it so it doesn't sit on its wheels.
>>
>>13979438
Letting a car- any car- sit for long periods of time is about the worst thing you can do. How long are we talking, though?
>>
>>13979449
Same question, but about a car bought new, driven for <5K kms and put into barn (one of the most ultimate shitboxes + bare, nothing interesting, but near me) for 10 fucking years?
>>
>>13972499
1. Too low = washy handling, excessive tire wear. Too high = twitchy handling, excessive tire wear to the middle of the tire, danger of blowouts. Just stick with what the manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual.

2. By definition, no. They can do oversteer, but not through application of power.
Want fun oversteer in a FWD car? Stomp on the throttle, snap the wheel one way, lift off throttle sharply. Back end should kick out.

3. I have no idea because I'm not a mechanic, but don't try it unless you know what you're doing.
But a turbo won't solve inherent lack of power issues.

>>13972549
>but what DO I DO if i go into a corner and realize I'm going a little too fast

Slow down a little. You're not meant to decelerate SHARPLY while cornering. Unless you're at the edge of the performance envelope of your car, just lifting off a bit won't do much to it.
>>
>>13979413
Thanks, I will definitely inform myself further before installing it
>>
>>13979468
Good luck with every single seal, gasket, plastic clip, and rubber component on the car turning to dust, all the bolts welding themselves to the car, and if it was sitting on it's own suspension, shocks, springs, and bearings are probably shot, too.

Especially in the case of engine seals, flowing oil is usually required to keep them from drying out, so if even only that has gone bad, it's a write-off.
>>
>>13979534
Hell, my miat stayed in my folks garage for a year, and while they drove occasionally in my absence, the bearings are very noticeably worse off.
>>
What are likely candidates for the cause of excessive negative camber?

I'd like to rule out 'worn' items as the ball joints, struts and springs are all new.

Backstory: Bought a 1987 MR2 from a guy, he's had a lot of the suspension parts replaced and an adjustable sway bar added in (which he's said he's adjusted) and the front end of the car has excessive camber on it which gets sucked back in when the car is jacked up. I'm trying to figure out what would cause the wheels to just start sagging outwards like that.

Could he have mis-adjusted the sway bar, could that cause excessive camber?
>>
>>13972611
I could smoke you on the touge faggot. Track is for pussies who are scared of dying.
>>
>>13980748
Nevermind, the guys at leschwab said that jacking the car up fixed the crazy camber going on, and that the likely cause was the previous owner just eyeballed the alignment.
>>
So in order to reach the driver side axle on my car I have to remove crossmember and support the transaxle with a transmission jack. My question is can I just use my plain old floor jack instead?
>>
just noticed my throttle cable is quite frayed, like 1/2 of the cable is stranded. oem cable costs $100, cheapest i can find is $70. for a fucking steel cable. any way i can fix it or replace it for not $70?
>its fraying on the pully channel, so i cant really put a gob of jb weld on it because it wont fit and it needs to flex
>>
>>13980941
kek
>>
>>13973640
The dominant one. Happens all the time and usually one or both people will realize it before collision and then go back into their original lane and adjust spacing accordingly. Back the fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up is the general rule of the highway.

Legally speaking, I'm not sure who would be at fault. Unless there are witnesses, the person at fault will be the one the cop likes the least.
>>
>>13973827
When in neutral, the clutch or torque converter is engaged with the engine, however none of the gears are engaged so the engine is essentially just spinning the idler gear.

If you ever notice in a manual when you put in neutral, there's a distinct difference in sound when you take your off and on the clutch.
>>
I have a ford ranger 1993
It's been having trouble starting and lately it just won't start without a jump and the battery isn't charging at all and its not holding a charge
A hear ago I replaced the battery
In April I replaced he solenoid
In July I replaced the alternator
In September I replaced the starter motor
I'm thinking itight be the solenoid on the starter motor itself but I'm not sure
There is also a short in the battery wire from the battery to the starter motor but its recent

Why won't my battery hold a charge?
>>
>>13973296
the twingo because the AE86 driver is a weeaboo
>>
Why do manual cars stall when you're in gear at a stop, without the clutch pushed in?
>>
>>13982371
Because the engine is connected to the wheels and you're preventing the wheels from spinning which prevents the engine from turning.
>>
>>13982371
Think of this way. When in gear, the only thing separating your engine from the wheels is the clutch being closed or open.

If the clutch is engaged and the wheels aren't moving your engine also isn't moving hence it dies.
>>
>>13982148
Check the voltage of the battery with the car running. If it's not over 13 volts it's not getting charged.

If it's getting charged then probably something is drawing power while the car is off.

Idk shit about electrical systems, but I'd imagine with car off you can check for amp draw on the fuses with the same multimeter you checked the batts voltage with.
>>
>>13982423
Actually you don't even need to check through fuses, well you do if you want to narrow down where the draw is coming from, but to simply check for any amperage draw you can just check that straight from the negative batt terminal.
>>
>>13982423
>>13982433
Sounds good thanks
>>
I got pulled over for having blue underglow on my vehicle and given a Civil Infraction for "Improper Use of Lights"
If I remove the lights and show it to an officer when I go to the hearing do you think it would be dismissed?
Michigan
>>
>>13982661
>your honor, i may have vandalized that building yesterday but today i did no such thing
no, pay your fine and grow up
>>
File: 1447016475550.jpg (25 KB, 389x264) Image search: [Google]
1447016475550.jpg
25 KB, 389x264
Why do FF cars need rear wheels
>>
>>13983298
to hold the shopping up
>>
>>13981745
>for a fucking steel cable

And the protective rubber/plastic, the mechanism that holds it to the throttle body and pedal, the flange that makes it so your feet don't get any water on them, the bushings that hold the whole thing in place, the fact that it has a bunch of bends and curves but it doesn't jam and the fact that it's one of those lifetime components that almost never break and the manufacturer has loads of them collecting dust in warehouses which are not going to pay themselves.
>>
>>13981405
Use something between the jack and the transmission like a wide, flat piece of wood so the weight is better distributed and you don't risk scratching/cracking/breaking anything.
Make sure it is stable of course
>>
>>13983298
So the car can understeer even more
>>
What are some cool/interesting terms and techniques about cars and driving I should google? Stuff like engine braking, heel and toe, scandinavian flick and such.
>>
>>13972711
Racing tires can have huge sidewalls like NASCAR tires, or really small sidewalls like GT tires.

The major effect the sidewall "geometry" has is the cornering stiffness of the tire and doesn't necessarily affect the peak lateral force.

As far as changing the tire pressures on racing tires, it has a very small effect compared to suspension changes (like wedge, packer, bump rubbers).
>>
>>13983767
http://skipbarber.com/
>>
>>13983793
>As far as changing the tire pressures on racing tires, it has a very small effect compared to suspension changes.

You realise high level racing involves being extremely precise with tire pressure down to the hundredth of a bar? That's because tires are extremely sensible to pressure changes.
Even a tenth of a bar can make a huge difference.

Everything you modify on the suspensions is to make the tires work properly, tires are everything.
>>
What's the best GPS smartphone app for Europeans? Waze? What do you guys use?
>>
I am looking at getting a 2001 Camry. Went to look at it today and the only thing was that the radiator fans didn't turn on. The engine didn't get very hot but it was running idle in a parking lot for a good 20 minutes and they didn't turn on. Is this something I should be worried about?
>>
>>13984195
Google Maps always works fine for me
>>
>>13985153
You should look more at the temp gauge than at the time the engine has been idling.
Was the needle above normal temperature? Then you got a problem. Was it below? Then no problem.

You should let the engine warm up at normal temp before worrying about fans.
>>
File: chevrolet-beretta-5.jpg (39 KB, 400x194) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet-beretta-5.jpg
39 KB, 400x194
I think I'm about to get an 89 Chevy Beretta in astoundingly good condition. What tasteful things can I do to it?
>>
Where can I get a new key (not electronic) made? I want a key with the Subaru logo on it because the key I have right now is generic unmarked and bent (makes starting the car hard). I went into my local autoparts stores and none of them make keys which is pretty stupid. I know this sounds like a weird question but I can't actually find where to get a key made with the Subaru logo on it.
>>
is rev matching actually efficient?
>>
96 s10 5 speed no power to crank, has v6 wat do?
>>
>>13973538
You need to use them for EXITING roundabouts as well, or you're slowing traffic by leaving people guessing.
>>
how do i know if a lift kit is better then my factory lift?
>>
File: pdb5.jpg (260 KB, 774x586) Image search: [Google]
pdb5.jpg
260 KB, 774x586
if i were to resurface and paint a rusted to shit brake rotor would it be worth it to prevent rusting again?
i know where the pads come in contact the paint will wear off

or should i leave it like it is and just let the rust remove itself by using it and leaving the rest rusting will that fuck up the pads too?

pic related but alot more the car wasnt moved in years
>>
>>13986862
No, it just makes it easier on the engine and clutch, yourself since its not so herky jerky when you down shift.
>>
>>13986869
As in it won't turn over? Or as in its too weak to drive car, and stalling out?
>>
File: rotor1.jpg (29 KB, 480x361) Image search: [Google]
rotor1.jpg
29 KB, 480x361
>>13987355
Don't paint the whole fucking rotor dumbass, you'll fuck your pads up and probably wreck the first time you try to brake.

If the whole rotor is completely rusted, then its better off replacing the rotor and pads than wasting time painting the old rotor.

And if you're hung up on rust paint the new ones, however just pain the part on the hub and on the edge.
>>
>>13987398
>Don't paint the whole fucking rotor dumbass, you'll fuck your pads up and probably wreck the first time you try to brake.
that pic kek
yeah i thought about that and i wanted to change the pads too so i was going to paint em and then rub it off or shell out $600 for new rotors pads and lines and good brake fluid
>>
File: DSC00220.jpg (217 KB, 967x725) Image search: [Google]
DSC00220.jpg
217 KB, 967x725
>>13987355
there is no definitive way to remove rust and keep it gone from a rotor other than buying new plated rotors (i think theyre zinc plated, but that doesnt make much sense because burning zinc is toxic) so maybe its some other material.

Anyway, even if you paint them the paint scratches off or cracks and peals from normal operation.

the only vital place to remove rust from the rotor is the braking face, which is usually removed in the first few times you brake.

do not paint the braking area you fuicking eejit, at best itll cause you to have little braking ability for the first handful of times you need to stop. at worst it will foul up your pads and cause you to have little braking ability for quite a while after painting.

pic semi related, i painted the top hat of my rotors black only a week before this pic and you can allready see it starting to crack and fall off.
>>
File: iokbSgi.jpg (106 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
iokbSgi.jpg
106 KB, 960x720
>>13987436
also bear in mind the vast majority of paint will have a hard time sticking to the rotors.
>>
>>13987373
Very little torque is being transferred through the clutch when you downshift so it doesn't actually make it easier on anything.

the main reason is to keep the car stable during braking and turn in.
it's basically useless on the road unless you're hooning. most people just let the clutch out slowly anyway.
>>
>>13987355
brake cleaner and scotchbrite pad. that will remove the majority of it.
>>
>>13987473
>>13987465
fuck it then, ill just leave it as is and wait a bit longer for the upgrade i was more worried about the thick coat of rust fucking up the pads
>>
>>13972499
Lower pressure means the tires heat up slower, higher pressure means they take longer to heat up. Playing with tire pressures (on tarmac, at least) is all about keeping the tire at the temperature at which it works best. If it's cold or wet out, you need more pressure, and if it's a hot dry day you need less. If your tires are grossly over or under inflated, you can get undesirable wear patterns, but if you fuck up your pressures that badly you should probably kill yourself.

FWD can drift, but not power oversteer. There's several techniques to initiate a drift, and power over is just one of them.

It's not really possible. You'll need to tune the car, and most OEM ECUs are locked down so you can't fuck with them. This means you have to wire in an aftermarket ECU (Megasquirt, AEM EMS, etc) or use bandaids to trick your OEM ECU into dumping in more fuel. Bandaids will kill your engine, as will a poorly tuned standalone ECU.

>>13972549
You really shouldn't be going fast into a corner in the first place. Proper technique is to brake lightly from the entrance of the turn to the apex, and then power out through the exit. As long as you're before the apex, you can stand on the brakes without too much issue. If the car starts to get fussy and you need more brakes, dial the steering back out and just turn in harder when you get down to a reasonable speed.

Problems happen when you're going too fast or braking too hard at or after the apex. In that case, you just have to realize that the car is going to go wide and aim it at the least dangerous place. If you're plowing, back off the steering and let the tires work. If you oversteer, steer into the turn and ease off the gas slowly as you straighten back out. If you realize you've lost it and the car is going into a spin, just lock up the brakes and pray. The best thing you can do at that point is slide in a straight line; dangerous and predictable is always better than dangerous and unpredictable.
>>
>>13987355
Just drive it. It will resurface itself.
>>
>>13987490
see that image with my rusty rotors? thats just a bit of water getting onto them after a drive.

Heat accelerates rusting, a little splash with the hose washing the car will make your rotors look like total shite, but itll be gone in your first or second stop.
>>
>>13987355
The only time you need to resurface rotors is if theyre warped.
>>
My car accelerates much more in reverse than first gear. It also stalls easier. Is there a good reason for this?
>>
>>13987519
nope.

usually the gear ratio for reverse is similar to first it could just be your perception.

in a toyota C5# series transmission reverse is a touch lower ratio.meaning you'll find it has better acceleration (more touchy on the throttle) but it shouldn't stall any easier.
>>
>>13987544
disregard that i suck dicks half the C5(#) transmissions are at a higher ratio. (C50 to C54)
>>
>>13973507
Man, what a bummer that you can't do anything fun where you live. Everything here 25 years old or older is emissions exempt and the cops are rednecks so they enjoy straight pipes. The inspection stations that I've gone to haven't even asked for my keys.
>>
how hard is it to wrench on a carbied car than an EFI? theres a mitsubishi for sale near me that the owner says needs a new carb or carb rebuild could i get some fancy new carbs and bolt them on? how complicated is carb tuning? how expensive would getting (one?) new carbs be?

its a 4 cylinder but i see things like going with twin carbs or 4 motorbike carbs for more horsepower.
>>
My friend suggested I upgrade my exhaust manifold and install a external wastegate.

I dont know what any of this means. Please explain what this is and why I want it
>>
>>13987707
>I don't know what any of this means
Then you don't need it.
>>
anybody have any tips on parking perfectly all the time
>>
>>13987721
Reverse park only. Use mirrors.
>>
>>13987710
I want it

I just want to know what it is
>>
>>13987733
>I want it
Why?
>>
>>13987707
assumin you got a turbo from the wastegate comment

a trick/clever/quality exhaust manifold would improve turbo efficiency.

wastegate isnt that useful without changing your blowoff valve, the wastegate controls the turbo's RPM (not engine RPM)

The wastegate is a valve that opens to keep the turbo at safe/reliable RPM(preventing it from spinning too fast) it allows exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo.

Aftermarket wastegates are installed to open later, allowing for higher turbo RPM lowering the life expectancy of the turbo but allowing higher boost.

The wastegate alone wont increase the ammount of boost youre making though because the blowoff valve will be opening when the manifold hits the pressure its tuned for.

Again the BOV is set by the manufacturer to a safe and reliable limit, fitting a new BOV for more boost pressure can lead to serious engine problems if you have too much boost.

more boost pressure will give you more power, but too much boost will give you knocking and engine detonation and at higher levels will lead you to breaking pistons, conrods, turbo bearings or turbine/compressor wheels.
>>
>>13987762
Very very helpful thank you.

This car came with a different ecu, after market turbo and afternarket blow off valve. It also has a thing to change from high and low boost.

So now I understand why I might need the manifold and wastegate - to avoid destroying engine and turbo
>>
>>13987693
Carb tuning can be a bitch if you don't know what you're doing.

EFI can be easier to work on so long as you're not having to tune it, and its not some throttle body vacuum assisted bullshit.
>>
>>13987762
the wastegate controls boost. nothing else.

bov and wastegate have nothing to do with eachother.

the benefits of an external wastegate are simply efficiency and reduced back pressure if the manifold is designed properly. that and the addition of more precise boost management.

but its a waste of money unless you use a turbo that doesn't have a built in wastegate.
>>
>>13987480
When coming from 2k to 6k yes it does make a difference, it causes a lot of clutch burn in comparision.

And over the life of the car it makes a difference on the engine.
>>
>>13987811
>the bov doesnt control boost
wat
what the fuck do you drive? thats where the goddamn boost controller is installed because that shit opens at a pre-set psi to maintain pressure inside the intake.
>>
>>13987786
that isn't why at all.. this is why you don't need one. because you don't know why you would want one and you believe the first retarded /o/ post you read.

i mean we all know you're just going to stay with the internal gated turbo that's on it so why even ask.
>>
>>13987382
Truck will turn over but not start, calling a tow truck in the morning.
>>
>>13987835
Stop posting immediately. You don't know what you are talking about. Thanks.
>>
>>13987845
>herp de fucking derp u dont know what youre talking about

Sure thing anon, how many cars have you worked on? your little 1.1litre fiat panda NA shitbox?
>>
>>13987835
>the bov is where the boost controller is located
why are you posting in help threads when you dont know what you are talking about?
>>
>>13987849
You don't even know what a BOV is for let alone that it's not where boost is controlled.

I'm not giving you shit because you don't know something. I'm giving you shit because you don't know something yet are still in this thread posting "help".
>>
>>13987862
giving me shit because im trying to help people.

dont you have a camaro vs gtr or miata with a bodykit thread to go post in? or whatever those stupid memes are.
>>
>>13987863
How can you help someone decide whether or not they need an external wastegate when you think a BOV controls boost? You don't even know the basics of a turbo system.

Help with things you know.
>>
>>13987838
I have money.
>>
how do i launch at drag racing properly?
the method i wastold by engineering buddy whos generally pretty knowledgeable was
>Get to lights
>Stage
>engage handbrake
>raise RPM about half way
>find the clutch bite and sit just below it
>as the lights count down, sit at the rev limiter
>when light goes green release handbrake and dump the clutch.
>>
>>13988171
you dont need to handbrake. the surface is level and the asphalt is rubbered enough that you won't move.

where you hold the clutch doesn't really matter it's all muscle memory anyway.

its a 2 stage system, youll pull up, light up the first stage, pull up a little more that will light up the second stage. the last car to hit the second stage will start the lights. which most of the time are yellow yellow yellow green all .5 seconds apart.
>>
are there any good websites to order car parts from? I need new headlights for my 03 accord
>>
I tuned my FR-S to E85 recently and it has been completely fine up until a few days ago when I filled up. There is a strong smell of E85 coming from my engine bay and a faint smell in the cabin. I'm not sure what the issue could be other than a possible leak.
>>
>>13988320
when you tuned it did you take out all the rubber parts of the fuel system? if not nows probly a good idea
>>
>be driving my SC300 last night
>hit a curb while driving
>take car driving the next morning
>rear wheel makes a weird whistling sound and the front wheels squeak every time I steer
How fucked am I
>>
>>13988445
pretty fucked
>>
>>13972549
Depending on the corner and the speed, it usually isn't an issue to lift a bit on the gas. But do it slowly and feel how the car reacts.
When doing trackdays, I sometimes find myself going a bit too fast, and then it is sometimes possible to pick a straight line to brake before the turn.
Practice. Git gud
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 1024x685
>>13972499
The car I just got (2006 mazdaspeed6) is having issues with stuttering and backfiring at wide open throttle. I've been told it's the spark plugs. Yes or no?

When I walked out to the car tonight, there was a puddle of liquid under it that had made its way across the parking lot. It was quite a lot of liquid. The car drove normally all the way home and the oil levels were good. Was it already there or is there a possibility I'm missing something?
>>
>>13987826
>And over the life of the car it makes a difference on the engine.

No it doesn't. Downshifting doesn't add any additional wear on the engine.
>>
>>13988387
I heard that E85 has no substantial effect on rubber components, many people with BRZ/FR-Ss that have gone E85 don't replace anything in the fuel system and they've been fine.
>>
>>13972499
Supposedly sat at a stop light with the car in first and the clutch to the floor fucks up your car.

I do this all the time and only use neutral to park. Should I kill myself or no?
>>
>>13989298
It doesn't really fuck up your car, but waiting with the clutch pedal down puts unnecessary strain on the clutch bearing. It doesn't do any damage per se, the bearing is still doing its intended job, but it will shorten its lifespan.

Don't worry too much about it, just try to put the car in neutral and release the clutch if you know you are not going to start moving again in a few seconds.

Also, not really a problem in using neutral to park. It's either a gear, the ebrake or both. I always use the ebrake only with the car in neutral and I have yet to see a downside in doing that.
>>
>>13988733

http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol/downloads/Ethanol%20&%20E85%20Material%20Compatibility.pdf
its the reason we dont get it in england, car enthusiasts campaigned agaisnt it so they didnt have replace all of the seals and hoses
>>
How often should shocks and springs be replaced?
>>
>>13990204
>shocks and springs
shocks should usually last 5-7 years depending on the quality. Struts last considerably longer, and unless you have serious ride issues or want to modify the ride height and hardness springs shouldn't need replacing unless ride quality has been compromised.
>>
>>13988685
Downshift with rev matching is the same as or worse than flooring the engine.

The additional wear may not be much but it is there.
>>
>>13992993
Without*
>>
The cleanest and cheapest foxbody i can find is an autotragic. how difficult and expensive would a manual transmission swap be provided i could probably get access to one that needs to be rebuilt?
>>
>>13993451
i should also mention that it is a notchback.
>>
is 150 too much to pay to drive a f430 scuderia for about 1.5 miles on a racing track ?
>>
>>13993744
yes but id do it anyway
>>
>>13993451
depends on how many parts you get new.

$500 at least. upwards to $1k or more with new stuff.

my manual swap was $1k with new clutch, new flywheel, rebuilt trans, driveshaft shortened and reblanced, new clutch slave.
>>
>>13972499
not really a noobish question but im really unhappy with the performance of my 95 lexus sc400, what is the best method of gaining some horsies? also which method of boost would be best for the money? turbo, supercharged, or nitro inb4 hurrdurr fast n dah furious wanna be
>>
>>13994482
cheapest method of boost if buying a kit is a supercharger

nitro isn't boost, thus it's cheaper than either of them.

in your case the easiest and cheapest method for some more power would be a reflash. if you can find someone who even flashes these. might net you 20-30hp or so.

dyno pulls + the flash maybe $400-$500 or something idk i've never done it just a guess.
>>
>>13993790
It should be said that having someone else do it usually runs more than 600 in just labor.
>>
>>13994541
labor would probably be over $1000
i assumed he meant diy
>>
>>13994562
I did.
>>
So.. Insurance job.. How does my old car catch fire allowing me to get more than scrap prices from a dealership
>>
>>13973296
The twingo. The 86 is entering the flow of traffic so therefore it has to give way to the twingo.
>>
>>13994666
put a slit in the fuel line nearest the exhaust and drive it till it smokes then call the fire dept after it has mostly burnt to the ground
>>
Assuming that I don't care about what mopar forums say about me, what would be the ideal engine to swap into a 65 4 door dodge dart. It used to have the 2 barrel carb v8 in it, but that engine looks to be fairly dead. Should I go for a rebuild or put a newer engine in it?
>>
>>13995247
MK4 gti

I'm wondering how impossible it would be to swap a newer (mk5 or mk6) instrument cluster, or actually if it's possible. it seems like a lot of wiring from what I've read, but i'm not sure if it's actually possible.

Thanks guys!
>>
What's better, FF with one rear wheel, or RR with one front wheel?
>>
File: QTDDTOTT pic.jpg (109 KB, 930x534) Image search: [Google]
QTDDTOTT pic.jpg
109 KB, 930x534
1. What does raising the rear of the car and adding slightly bigger wheels do on a rwd hoon machine? I see this done sometimes...
2. Should I use this brake pad setup when doing my brakes next time? I have chromed wheels that I don't like cleaning semi-met brake dust off of and the rear brakes don't need to stop me as much as the front, plus this is cheaper than going all ceramic.
3. I bump my front wheels when 90 degree parking towards a curb all the time. Is this bad for my car?
>>
>>13992993
I don't understand how rev matching makes a difference.
If we keep your previous example (going from 2k to 6k rpm), you are still starting the downshift at 2k rpm and finishing it at 6k rpm, regardless of the fact that you are rev matching or not.
The engine is always running at the same speed.

The only difference is clutch wear, which is almost negligibly higher with a traditional downshift over a rev match.

Please elaborate in your point because I don't get it.
>>
>>13972499
What's good beginners material for gas and diesel engines? I know knotting about cars and I want to learn so I can take care of my car. Plus diesel engines seem cool.
>>
File: $1500.jpg (50 KB, 547x450) Image search: [Google]
$1500.jpg
50 KB, 547x450
How much does it cost to get a car painted? How much does it cost to paint a car yourself?
I'm living off of financial aid for school until I get a job, so I'd rather save as much as I can other than what I'm spending on books and a car to replace my broken down Taurus.
>>
I have a 2008 Hyundai Accent. Exactly HOW shit is it??
>>
File: Capture.jpg (43 KB, 1280x680) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
43 KB, 1280x680
>>13973296
It's just a modified version of pic related. Instead of the straight road in pic related, it's curved in your pic. Which means that the 86 has the right of way.
>>
Can anybody tell me what pic related is?

>>13973285
>High mileage
>VW
Run.

>>13973584
First off, pick the one that has the same overall diameter as you currently have. This will keep your speedo somewhat happy.
If the 45/225 and the 50/205 have the same overall diameter, the 45 profile tire will be stiffer, the 50 profile tire will be more compliant(comfy), the 205 will have less wear and it'll be cheaper, and the 225 will have more grip. So, 45/225 for performance an 50/205 for cheapness and comfy.
>>
>>13996792
The 86 has the right of way in your image, but the Twingo does in >>13973296
>>
>>13977048
Scary, untill you go faster, then it becomes more fun. But also more scary.

>>13979116
Dead battery/electronics, or operator error. Try it in second.

>>13983298
So we can induce lift-off oversteer.

>>13984195
Maps.

>>13985257
>tasteful
>80's GM

>>13986869
Needs as LS swap.

>>13987693
Find a carb guy. You know, an old one, with a proper beard and such. Have him help you. What car btw? A Mighty Max with a built 4G on a set of motorcycle carbs seems like a pretty great idea.
>>
>>13983403
Kek
>>
>>13996193
Wikipedia, then use the sources list to get the detailed stuff or Go to a library that serves universities and ask for a beginner engineering book about engines.

Also, get the workshop manual for your car if you want to go REALLY into the details of your engine
>>
>>13987721
Practise.

>>13988171
>log tire pressure, approx tread left,weather and suspension setup
>roll into burnout box
>engage line lock
>mad skid
>release line lock, roll forward
>back up to starting line
>starter helps you stage 1st light
>engage trans brake and 2 step, build RPM
>release trans brake bit by bit, 2nd stage lights
>tree starts
>amber goes out
>release trans brake
>pray to whatever deity you prefer
>?????
>release chutes

>>13988733
You've got yourself a leak - check your fuel line. No, E10/E85 will not degrade any modern car's fuel system - but something may have been badly installed, and gotten itself loose with driving.

>>13994482
>300whp: intake, exhaust, dyno tune.
Pick the right exhaust and the 1UZ will sound awesome.
>400whp: supercharger
Forget turbo's(packaging nightmare for only 100hp), forget nitrous(bottles run out of juice eventually), you want a supercharger. Pick the right tuner, or that 1UZ bottom end will tear itself apart.
>500+hp: 2JZ swap - unless you really want to build up that 1UZ, which will be expensive given how limited the market is for those(compared to the 2JZ). Turbo'd of course. You'll need a sturdy transmission to bakc it up though.

If you actually were a F&F wannabe, you'd buy a 4th gen Supra instead of the arguably better SC.
>>
Help me /o/
I couldn't start the engine for a while on my Golf 5 (1.6l FSI) and ABS light was on for some reason. It didn't go off, even after I pushed the button for it. After 3 restarts it started fine. I restarted it a few times after that and it was like nothing happened.
What could be the problem? I'm a poorfag for next few years and can't afford an expensive repair bill or a new car.
>>
>>13995247
>what would be the ideal engine to swap into a 65 4 door dodge dart
I'd throw in a modern 5.7 Hemi, with an A833 four speed behind it. Stroke it to 392 if you have to. Bitchin', dead reliable, and enough grunt to pull away from a B-body with a fourbarrel 440.

>>13995649
FF with one wheel.

>>13996841
No, AE86 has right of way in both instances. The main road goes from AE86 to Twingo and vice versa, and since the 86 is on the side of the road with the sideroad (?) on it, it has the right of way. Pardon my dunglish.
>>
File: 1442901072137.gif (1 MB, 287x206) Image search: [Google]
1442901072137.gif
1 MB, 287x206
>>13996586
>how much to get it painted?
a lot. call Maaco and get a quote.
>how much to rattlecan respray
cheap but unless you are an expert it will look terrible.

My advice: Prep and prime damaged areas and stickerbomb, or if you really want to re-paint practice on small stuff first like a toolbox or your rims.

>tfw your toolbox matches your ride
>>
>>13995730
1) Larger surface area, extra traction
2) Should be fine, but they will wear at different rates.
3) Yes, if you're turning into the curb you're putting stress on the tire, the steering linkage, and the rim, but it's slightly better than dragging your wheel along the curb.
>>
>>13996992
Could be electrical; google your make/model/year plus problem and see what others have to say. a quick search seems like the fuse box grounds might be loose.
>>
>>13997307
Thank you
>>
>>13986869
Update if anyone has the same issue/cares, the ignition control module had gone out, the s10 is running and back on the road again
>>
>>13996823
What is that car?
>>
>>13973561
Yeah, it's a bit of a bodge
> Have my full for a couple years
> Mate going for his learners
> Have to get him to explain the new road rules to me because I don't get it
>>
>>13981885
>Legally speaking, I'm not sure who would be at fault. Unless there are witnesses, the person at fault will be the one the cop likes the least.
Nearly happened to me. I'd imagine it would be both for not checking your shoulder properly and not seeing the other car indicating.
>>
So my friend just told me I have a valve cover gasket leak. Is the valve cover gasket something I can DIY replace as a novice? Will I be bankrupt?
>>
>>13998494
Valve cover gasket? That shouldn't be too bad. Gasket and RTV is more or less free.

Should be very easy to do yourself, too. Doesn't require special tools. But if you're afraid of fucking up, see if you can't get someone who knows a thing or two to help you out.
>>
>>13996823
>>13997900
Corvair Monza GT. Concept car that GM did. Apparently designed by the guy who did the Corvette Stingray.
>>
>>13972536
fuck you I drift with my FWD 1992 Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel... back ends slides out and the front wheel keep trajectory. git gud
>>
>>13972588

hit brakes as hard as you can
>>
Does anyone here actually lift just to work on their cars?

Is being able to hear my tires while I drive a sign the pressure is low? I strive for 32.
>>
File: grunt3.jpg (130 KB, 1023x612) Image search: [Google]
grunt3.jpg
130 KB, 1023x612
What kind of truck Is this?
I remember someone in my family having one and we called it the Grunt truck.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.