[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Caurberated Bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Alright, so I was entertaining a dream by windowshopping GM crate engines and I noticed something while reading the LSX's description

>the LSX454 is good for about 620 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque, or about 580 hp and 600 lb-ft with fuel injection.

How does the horsepower drop when you switch from boomer-tier carbs to 21st-centruy fuel Injection? Especially on an LS engine which was meant to be fuel injected in the first place? Is my rather basic understanding of engines overlooking something?
>>
>>13959096
are you serious?
Please say you're trolling the people who love "boomer tier" carbs...
>>
>>13959096
fuel injection and carburetors make really close to the same peak hp, fi just helps for under the curve. EFI probably makes less hp in this instance due to to runner length and intake manifolds.
>>
>>13959096
at WOT, carbs, SFI and BFI all are basically just dumping fuel as fast as they can. There is no real improvement in ideal testing conditions going EFI or carb. There is also the theory that venturi effect can create better atomization at a specific flow rate, compared to forced injection of the fuel. But it is such a small span that its never worth arguing over.

in general, Carb over EFI is not going to really matter for power. It will affect the DD ability of the car without retuning. And the carb obviously gets worse economy vs the same motor with better fuel delivery control under just normal driving.
>>
>>13959096
>Is my rather basic understanding of engines overlooking something?
yes, it's overlooking your basic understanding
>>
>boomer-tier carbs

> Is my rather basic understanding of engines overlooking something?

your basic understanding is obviously lacking

carbs can make insane numbers. there are many, many advantages to fuel injection but peak HP is not one of them
>>
>>13959595
DFI has that advantage though.
>>
>>13959096

I think they are covering their bases in regards to manifold choices. Most people with a LSX going carb will run a Victor Jr or Super Victor, something like that. A big single plane short runner manifold is pretty common.

EFI wise it's just as likely to have a banana manifold as it is a tunnel ram. May as well put a smaller number forward just in case people are mounting a long runner EFI manifold that will have less peak HP high up in the range.
>>
>>13959744
this

in pure theory achievable peak power is the same with efi and carbs. it's the environment that makes the difference here.
>>
Carbs only make more power on gas because they are a wet intake. Throttle body injection can do the same thing. Carbs making more horsepower is boomer delusions.

The throttle body on the crate engine with EFI is smaller, it's as simple as that.
>>
That engine uses a single plane intake with a Large Carb so it flows better than an LS7 manifold used with the EFI.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.