[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ I manage and run a full service maintenance and repair
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 10
File: spin_prod_210923101.jpg (26 KB, 1500x378) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_210923101.jpg
26 KB, 1500x378
Hey /o/

I manage and run a full service maintenance and repair shop. Ask me anything...
>>
>>15423741
What jobs do you refuse to do?
>>
If I told you I wanted a turbo but instead of drilling out a new oil passageway I wanted a separate oil reservoir with an electronic pump hooked up to the ignition would you do it?
>>
>>15423741
do you have any pics of crazy shit that has come in
>>
>>15423750
Ones that I know have other issues.
Older cars that are falling apart and have shit customers driving then.

Also jobs that are not worth my time
"I have my own parts, how much to put them on?"
Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?
>>
>>15423759
Lol sure, can you sign this waiver first?
>>
File: oil pressure sensor.jpg (58 KB, 466x350) Image search: [Google]
oil pressure sensor.jpg
58 KB, 466x350
>>15423759
thats a terrible idea because if your electric pump goes out so does your turbo
drilling isnt your only option
you can tap the oil pressure sensor and have that line go to your feed of the turbo
>pic related
you can also get a sandwhich plate inbetween your oil filter and have that go to the feed
do more research
>>
>>15423762
On my computer at home, sorry. posting from cell
>>
>>15423776
Exactly, sign the dumbass customer waiver.
>>
>>15423767

>Also jobs that are not worth my time
"I have my own parts, how much to put them on?"
Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

This seems dumb, understandably some people want a specific part or don't trust you not to cut corners and buy the cheaper alternative but don't have the mechanical skill or facilities/tools to do the job themselves
>>
>>15423767
>Also jobs that are not worth my time
this is why i work on semis
when shit breaks theres no excuses they have to be fixed because thats how they make their money
also i make a lot more money than an auto mechanic
>>
>>15423786
Honestly most people don't know shit about their cars. It depends on the day, if we're really slow that day I may take something in just to get something in the till. If we're wide open busy with big money jobs I shoo them off
>>
>>15423767
>Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

Not everyone knows how wrench and they are willing to pay for the service. Also that's a pretty dumb comparison.
>>
>>15423798
Diesels and big trucks are a whole other animal. There's good money in it if you're good. But you're right, you got em by the balls
>>
>>15423804
Not really, I make money of goods and services, much like a restaurant. You're essentially asking me to sell you the same amount of my technicians time and I'm not getting as much for it.
>>
>>15423786
And also understandably shops understand that aftermarket parts are poor quality/fit 90% of the time and installing them isn't worth the risk of having problems you now have to fix for free later
>>
>>15423804
It's a perfect comparison.
>>
>>15423815
Yeah I don't warranty customer supplied parts at all.
>>
>>15423741
how much do you pay your workers an hours
conversely; how much do you charge a customer an hour
>>
>>15423840
Hood techs are on hourly, about $8/hr plus commission. Techs get about $10-18 per hour depending on skill. They get commission off mechanical jobs they complete.
>>
>>15423741
What's the worst customer/car you've come across?

What's your favorite car you regularly work on?

What's your LEAST favorite car you regularly work on?

What do you drive?
>>
>>15423741
What jobs do you refer to the dealership?
>>
>>15423848
Never heard of a setup like this, are you outside the US?
>>
>>15423848
sounds shitty
>>
>>15423849
I hate doing work on old busted pieces of shit with multiple issues. We fix one thing and people assume "something we did" caused another problem.
Yeah 25 years old with 300k on it and I'm the reason your motor blew up.

Favorite vehicles would have to be Chevy trucks. Reliable, easy to fix, parts are cheap, usually driven by reasonable men.
>>
>>15423867
No, but we're not a dealership.
>>
>>15423870
Meh, I paid my dues, worked hard, and after 10 years in the industry I got my own shop. They gotta start somewhere, especially if they don't know shit yet.
>>
>>15423863
Heavy electrical diagnosis, and warranty work that is too expensive for them to pay for.
>>
>>15423882
I've worked at a few indies and it's either pure flat rate/customer pay or hourly, never heard of a hybrid hourly+commission per job, I've been on hourly with a bonus if I reach a certain amount of work hours though. Why do you do it like this? What if the tech is doing a NVH diagnosis for 2 hours for example, does he get a certain commission for this or does he just get hourly? Seems like it would get convoluted.
>>
>>15423907
Because my techs are not on flag hours and I still have to incentivize them. Want more money? Get more done.
>>
>>15423815
> aftermarket parts are poor quality/fit 90% of the time

Why is America so shit?
>>
>>15423907
Diags are a flat fee. Weather it takes him 2 hours or 30 mins, it's 59.99 to figure out why your hoopdie won't stay running.
>>
>>15423938
This isn't usually the case. Aftermarket support is actually pretty good. People just usually buy the wrong shit
>>
>>15423741
how much to do rear pads and rotors on my 64 e type?
>>
>>15423965
$599 plus tax
>>
>>15423965
You sure you wouldn't like us to do a proper inspection first? In fact, I'm not even 100% sure that it's not drums in the rear.
>>
File: sfv girls.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
sfv girls.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>15423741

do you treat your employees with respect or are you a asshole to them? be honest.

how would you say you run the business?

what do you think your employees think about you?

do you give employment opportunity to rookie mechanics or do you only hire people with experience?

the reason i ask this is because i just got fired from a small shop i only did 2 weeks in. the boss/owner is a ASSHOLE he is full of pride because he owns the place. he runs the place like shit and says other people are the problem. i worked at a dealership for 4yrs and small shops run totally different. this place was so disorganized compared to a dealership. i left my dealership job because a new owner came and got rid of all the old people to bring in his own.
>>
>>15424006
I run a pretty tight ship. I have high expectations for myself and the guys that work for me. We have a job to do and a standard to maintain, and I don't hide my expectations.

That being said, as a leader it is much more beneficial to have them respect me as a man as well as a boss. If they just respect the position they'll do what you tell them but talk shit about you behind your back. If they also respect the man, they'll go the extra mile and want to impress you.

I treat them all with respect, even when I'm chewing their asses when they fuck up. I treat them with respect because they must also show respect, and I try to lead by example.

As far as the newbies, if they show up ready, eager, and hungry to learn I can teach them. If they're just there to be a warm body and get a paycheck then they don't last too long.
>>
>>15423814
whats the shop rate then? why can you not make a profit off that fee?
>>
File: 1454375589453.jpg (28 KB, 395x387) Image search: [Google]
1454375589453.jpg
28 KB, 395x387
>>15424030

You sound like a faggot lmao

Like nigga you run a garage calm down hahaha
>>
>>15423848
That's....pretty fucking low.
>>
File: resume.png (62 KB, 606x709) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
62 KB, 606x709
>>15424030
would you hire me? you sound pretty cool. respect is a big deal for me at a job. i hate dealing with disrespectful people, it just makes a job harder. i had respect for my last boss compared to the previous one before him. but the other boss (dayshift) wanted me out(there were 2 service managers, one for day and other for night). even tho i worked at a dealer for 4yrs i know my common sense stuff. they never let me move up. why let me do something when they have someone else who can do it quicker. i still want to be a mechanic even tho it spit in my face twice already. every time i see my tools stored in my closet it breaks my heart. pic related my resume
>>
>>15424083
what do you do for a living fuckboy
>>
File: 140459285108.png (195 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
140459285108.png
195 KB, 576x432
>>15423741

>I manage to service a full run of repairmen on a daily basis. Ask me anything.

Do you have AIDS yet?
>>
can i use an adjustable wrench to change out my engine oil?
>>
>>15424147
if you have a big one
>>
>>15423978
>>15423991
nah just messing with you. you have to drop the entire rear subframe cage to do that. inboard brakes and all.

I'm a specialty mechanic and mildly autistic and always wondered what someone would charge me for it without looking at.
I wouldn't do it for under a grand. you ballsy fuck
>>
>>15424147

That sounds like a great idea, make sure it bites into the metal and crimps it for a super good grip.

:^)
>>
>>15424113
I'm not OP, but I think your resume formatting is shit.

Also, are you telling me you got a bachelor's degree from a high school?
>>
>>15424113
Make a slick looking resume, that looks like a high school book report. Just transfer your info over to a nice template. Put a few qualifications that aren't just on paper, for example from my resume
· Understanding systems
as a whole and being
able to diagnose from
a logical standpoint

· Able to develop creative
solutions on cars that demand unique or new
methods of repair

I try to put in things like that so they can ask questions in the interview that you can elaborate on and give some examples of how you did a tough diag or found out a big moneysaver.

>>15424104
He must be in a rural area. I made more than $18/hr fresh off the boat when I was 18, and that was a long time ago when buying power was a higher
>>
>>15424083
You don't take your career seriously?
>>
>>15424164
what do you mean? all i got was my HS diploma. my school also taught us a trade too.

>>15424166
/biz/ helped me with it but ok i'll revisit
>>
>>15424104
Truth be told I can probably source those parts fairly easily, and cheaply. It's ancient technology man, the type of shit old guys talk about when they're talking about how easy it was to work on cars "in their day"
>>
>>15424147

You can, but it's not the best idea. Considering an oil change is something you'll do on a regular basis for your car, just go to Home Depot and buy a cheap husky Combination Wrench for your Drain Plug.
>>
>>15424113
I'd give you a 2 day work study to see what you're made of, if you're as good as your resume says you are, we could sit down and talk about opportunities
>>
>>15424172
It says Major: Automotive technology

When you say you're majored in something it means you got a bachelor's degree, as in an undergraduate 4 year degree from a university. You should probably say you had a focus in automotive technology or a concentration or something like that
>>
>>15424178
how do i find out which size i need? its a 2008 ford escape xlt v6
>>
>>15423741
How often do hot cuties try to exchange sex for auto repair? And do you oblige?
>>
>>15424166
As much as I agree with what you're saying about putting together a resume, all a resume gets you is a conversation with me. I have never hired somebody after just looking at their resume.

There are things I look for in a potential hire that most people fail to mention, intentionally or not, in their resumes. I need to talk to someone and see what their about before I hire them.
>>
File: Blue-Side.jpg (28 KB, 382x494) Image search: [Google]
Blue-Side.jpg
28 KB, 382x494
>>15424172
/biz/ know about as much about getting a job as /o/ does about cars, next to nothing. I'd just give you my resume but don't want to spend the time redacting it. Here's an example of what you can aim for, just pirate illustrator. Remember when you interview typically they will read off your cover letter and resume and ask questions, use that in your resume so you can answer questions in a way that gives them a good idea of your competence. I go WAY more in depth in mine about the details of my previous jobs.
>>
>>15424196
Kek
>>
>>15424196
You buy a fucking multi wrench/socket set like any other amateur mechanic and use the one that fits.
>>
>>15424197
Lol believe it or not black women flirt with me the most. I'm a tall attractive white dude, and I'm the boss, maybe it's a slavery flashback fetish or something.

I've definitely been offered sex to fix girls cars, but it always happened at a bar or something when I'd tell them what I do. Never took them up on it though.
>>
>>15424208
B8d m8
>>
>>15423786
Sometimes it's OK, sometimes not. I've had a customer supply a clutch they got off eBay for their pulsar. Pull the gearbox out, clutch is wrong. Now car is stuck on the hoist until we get the right clutch. Pain in the ass.

Also, people can't expect the mechanic to warrant a part they haven't supplied, if it fails, the customer pays the labour again, where as if the mechanic had supplied the part, parts and labour are both free.
>>
>>15423848
Holy fuck. What 3rd world are you in? What would the average take home pay be a week for them?
>>
>>15424385
You're missing the commission part. An ace technician, with the right sales and operations support can make 150k per year.
>>
>>15424377
Yep, gotta think about it from both sides of the desk. Avoiding mines and generally bad situations is like...40% of what I do some days.
>>
>>15423741
I think my 2002 dodge neon stock cd player is overheating and that's why store bought cds and burnt cds stop playing after about 10-20 minutes what can you do to make this right
>>
>>15424645

Drive the car off a cliff.
>>
>>15424811
with him in it
>>
File: 1458528039533.png (468 KB, 475x715) Image search: [Google]
1458528039533.png
468 KB, 475x715
I'm not even convinced you actually own a shop, you haven't said anything that's not pretty much standard mechanic complaining bullshit i've heard and read again and again.

You manage and run? Are you a service writer with his panties in a twist pretending you turn wrenches on /o/ or what?
>>
How often do vehicles come in with wheels having fallen off due to improperly torqued nuts and how often do employees torque the lug nuts incorrectly?
>>
>>15424104
eh mechanics where I live in Australia make like ~$18/h, maybe up to like ~$25 depending on where at. Thats about the same as what he described.
>>
>>15425344
I don't own it, I'm the shop manager.
Not that I care weather you believe me or not. I turned wrenches for 8 years before getting into management. What do you do?
>>
>>15426572
Well I'm on slightly over $30 in aus and I'm in a city renowned for crap pay.
>>
>>15425646
Not very often desu, but it does happen. My guys are all well tenured in the industry, if it does happen they just fix it and don't get me involved, which is what I prefer.
>>
>>15426895
Don't tell my techs that lol.
>>
>>15423848
>Hood techs
>$8/hr
>that gramur
I just got my first job at a jiffy lube AMA
>>
>>15426914
I know you're just being a faggot, but all faggotry aside jiffy lube was my first job in the industry when I was 18. It's a decent place to learn the basics of how a shop operates and how to work in a team setting.
>>
>>15426926
I may be a faggot, but I'm a real tech and I'm not buying this at all.

What's the timesaver cheat for doing Chrysler 3.7 timing belts? how do you get the rods off of a Subaru crank? If a car had bad injectors, you replaced them but 1 or more still isn't working what is the diag procedure?
>>
>>15426962
Never done a timing belt on a 3.7 so I don't know. Nor have I ever taken a Subaru motor apart before. Tell me first why you think your car has a bad injector, is the car sputtering or knocking when you accelerate?
>>
>>15426993
I'm not the person doubting you, but a customer isn't going to come to you telling you their engine is pinging lmao.
Of course it's fucking sputtering - why else would someone bring it in?
>>
>>15427016
People bring in their cars with hundreds of different complaints actually. Anything from drivability issues to "I have no brake pedal"
>>
>>15426962
>If a car had bad injectors, you replaced them but 1 or more still isn't working what is the diag procedure?

I'd call you a faggot for replacing all the injectors without diagnosing it in the first place.
>>
How well would it serve my needs to discuss parts with a mechanic? My clutch is broken and l want a new one, preferably not stock anymore. Are you gonna advice me on what makes the most sense or what has the best markup in this case?
>>
>>15427045
Don't jimmy around the statement I made. Nobody is going to bring you their car saying it's pinging/knocking. Car enthusiasts themselves who know what that is have a hard time enough trying to listen for it let alone know what the faint noise sounds like.
>>
>>15427111
I'll probably manage to do both in the same conversation.
>>
>>15427183
So what's your point? You said why else would somebody bring their car in? I said there are many reasons people bring their cars in.
>>
>>15427183
you asked a vague, generalized question, you got a vague, generalized answer.

be more specific.
>>
>>15427239
I guess he left..
>>
>>15427245
what's your opinion on flat-rate payment for techs? rather curious.
>>
>>15427065
>>15426993
so you manage a full service shop, and worked as a tech for 8 years in the us and have never done the timing belt on a common v6 that was in production from 2002-2012?
>>
>>15427274
I'm not the op, I'm >>15427065 and I can't say that I have done a 3.7 Chrysler, I've done the ones in the Dodge Journey where you have to do a cam crank relearn after, no idea which motor that is lol. And if you were 100% sure it was the injectors, like 100000% sure eliminated all the variables I'd check to see if the injectors you got are good. If you aren't 100% positive that's it's not the problem why did you change them all in the first place?
>>
>>15423938
>Why is America so shit?
Because they bought aftermarket parts made in China. A huge number of replacement parts are also counterfeited in China and that includes even the trademarked name/logo on the parts.

And because most americans would rather buy cheap parts instead of those made in the USA, the companies go out of business. Ironically (and unhappily) the original usa company is sometimes then bought up by the chinese pirates (that put that company out of business to begin with) to gain legal control of the trademark and firm up distribution into the usa parts distribution network.
>>
>>15423741
Can I put in a quart of fresh oil in my car that needs an oil change soon (300 miles over 3k) so that it can hold out until next week.

I just really don't want to leave the house today. I'll prob put on like 2-3hundred miles until the next chance to change oil
>>
>>15426895
Whooptee fucking doo, everything in Australia costs three times what it does in the United States as well.
>>
>>15427508
nigga modern oil on recent model cars is good for like 7k
>>
>>15427519
Nah my car eats oil or something
>>
>>15427523
If you burn oil fast enough just keep filling it up, no point in changing it ever now.
>>
>>15427339
>why did you change them all in the first place?
Because mechanics work on commission so there is financial incentive to diagnose more jobs to be completed. It's like the Stealerships and their service writers. They have monthly goals and commissions to give them monetary incentives. And if they don't make enough money for the dealership, they are replaced by either someone that is faster, or someone that is willing to diagnose or write service contracts to maximize legal revenue by having customers sign the service contracts.
>>
>>15427508
>Can I put in a quart of fresh oil in my car that needs an oil change soon (300 miles over 3k) so that it can hold out until next week.

The fresh oil has unused additives and TBN (total base number) that refreshes any depleted additives in the existing oil. So it can go on a lot longer.

Conventional oil doesn't last as long as synthetic oil. If you change your own oil, then the cheapest place is wal-mart with their five quart jugs of oil for $22 to $24 each for full synthetic. Some wal-marts also have service centers that do oil/filter changes. A full synthetic oil plus filter change at those is $49.97. That's less than half the price at JiffyLube.

Read the archived /o/ thread on synthetic vs conventional oil at:

https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/
>>
>>15427540
>mechanics work on commission

lol get the fuck out of here. i'm a mechanic, we get paid "flat rate" we flag hours for each job. each job has a set amount of hours you can flag. for example an oil change is like 20 minutes you can claim, thats all you get paid for. if you up sell anything the shop makes the money not you the mechanic. luckily i'm a fleet mechanic (hourly wage) so i dont up sell shit, and i dont deal with faggots like you who think every one is out to take your money.
>>
>>15423741
I'm doing my apprenticeship right now (In Canada its 4 years of apprenticeship before you become a fully certified tech).

So far my tool collection consists of a basic 1/4", 3/8 drive, and 1/2" socket set. A 40-piece screwdriver set I got on sale, 15 Metric Wrenches, 15 Metric Ratchet Wrenches, 15 SAE Wrenches and 15 Ratchet SAE Wrenches. An impact socket set (deep, shallow, metric and SAE. Smallest metric size is 12mm, its a really big kit). I have an Ingosol Rand 1/2" Impact gun, die grinder, and air ratchet.
About 15 pliers (5 different locking pliers, 6 pliers which include side cutters, needle nose, and normal ones in 6" and 8" sizes). Some long reach pliers, and 3 channel lock pliers (8", 10", and 12")

I want to buy all of my tools while I'm an apprentice as I can write it all off. If your a fully certified mechanic, you only get a maximum of $500 back, if you claim $1,000+ per year in tools.

What other tools should I buy for my first 2 years? Currently I mostly do oil changes/inspections, brakes, alignments, and tires.

I was thinking about buying a set of torque sticks as the one the shop has is pretty incomplete.
>>
>>15427654
OP here, not every shop has the same pay plan as the one you work at. I give them a percentage of mechanical dollars made for the week on top of hourly. The good tech make money, the whiny techs need to get gud.
>>
>>15423848
what in the flying fuck, why are you so fucking cheap?

I started at $13/hr. 90% of my time is oil changes, tires, and brakes.
>>
>>15427711
What you have is a good start, as you keep working you will periodically find yourself needing a tool you won't have. Buy that tool. Repeat.
>>
>>15427725
Lower cost of living and smaller shop I suppose. The lowest paid guy clears a grand for 2 weeks, which for the average joe where I live is definitely a livable wage.
>>
>>15423867
Shop I work at does the same thing. Except they don't offer shitty pay.

The Chief Mechanic makes $30/hr + 12% commission on labor. Most days he averages about $37/hr
>>
>>15423767
>do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?
If the steak is 5 dollars at the store but 50 at the restaurant I'd probably ask.
>>
>>15427755
Lol I would as too but our markup on parts isn't that high. Like I said were not a dealership.
>>
>>15427739
Like I said, aces get paid. I guarantee you I can sell twice as fast as you can fix. Git gud, get paid.
>>
>>15427540
If you work at a shit shop for a shit boss maybe. That type of thinking is why so many people think techs are just part changers. Fuck sometimes you're given no choice, no one wants to either pay for a proper diagnosis or tell the customer that it might take some time to chase the problem down. So it's a circle of stupidity, but nothing is more satisfying then getting a proper diagnosis on a tough problem.
>>
>>15423767
>Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

Yea but then you fucks fuck people over with shitty parts you got at some fucking junkyard.

I cant take risks with shady shops that do that kind of shit.

If i bring my own part at least i know the company i bought it from is reliable.
>>
>>15427339
it was a false statement to see if he would reply with sticking a 'noid light on the injector harness and check for pulse. sometimes prolonged misfiring can cause the injector drivers in the ecu to fail.

I work in a mid tier shop and we don't like changing single injectors so the owner can come back and pay the same labor charge 3x or more when the others start failing. we try and do the same with coil on plug setups. chaqging the water pump with the timing belt. doing the engine rear main and trans input seal on clutch jobs, replacing the blower motor resistor when doing hvac blower motors. logical shit.

>>15427711
a good set of brake spring pliers and brake spoons. you're gonna have to do drums at some point. assorted length extensions and
c/v's for all the ratchets. pulling automatic trans usually requires 2x 12" 1/2 drive extensions and a c/v for the impact. most shops have house tools for things like broken triton plugs (oh boy!)
I would also suggest a good 2 and 3 jaw puller. a clicker or digital 3/8 drive in/lb and 1/2 drive ft/lb torque wrench. a set of noid lights, a spark tester and a voltmeter.

op can only make general statements because the last wrench he held said cool tools on it.
>>
>>15429539
I get that changing other hard to do stuff while you're there, we do that often as well. It's like look, it's not gonna cost you any more money on labor and it's really just insurance for you. I guess I took your question too literally, obviously before changing anything you'd just do a few quick tests to make sure it was the problem.
>>
OP, do you browse nudes of /b/ and etc.

and enjoy them?
>>
>>15427517
Calm your tits faggot, I was responding to the other guy from Australia.
>>
>>15423741
How much should an alignment cost? My dealership wanted $170 for an alignment of my rear wheels. The dealer refused coverage under new car warranty because alignment is not covered for new cars a week old if they see damaged rims. When I said that sounds high priced for rear alignment, I was told that it was with digital laser alignment tools.

I have a new car and hit the curb (slammed brakes too) while making a right turn to avoid hitting some beater truck that turned into my lane (there are two lanes to make right turns and he was in the outer lane). As a result, the new car's right rear rim has some damage. It was do that or hit the truck that moved into my lane. This happened the first day of car ownership.
>>
>>15423814
Shop rates are normal around $100/he, why would I pay a markup on parts?
>>
>>15427654
>lol get the fuck out of here. i'm a mechanic.

Your statement only applies to yourself. It is wrong in my case. When you say that mechs don't get commissions (bonuses) for sales, you contradict OP who does that for his mechanics. You also contradict what I know of shops in my own area that I have visited AND you have NOT.

The chain firestone shop I went to had a commission plan for their techs. I was told by one mechanic at one such shop I visited. I was friendly with him, so he was willing to tell me things. So they have incentive to diagnose more problems.

Some shops in my area are even "worse" in that mechanics were treated not as employees but as contract workers who leased out the mechanic bay. Thus, they only made money if they had stuff to work on. So there is great financial pressure to diagnose things as being broken or needing repair.
>>
How does it feel knowing your practice could very well be obsolete in 30 years time with all the dealer specifications making it impossible for you to work on new newer vehicles?
>>
>>15427734
Your lowest paid guy makes way more than a living wage even in expensive USA cities. Do the customers feel satisfied with the costs of repairs? It's not possible to pay workers one billion dollars per year unless the repair rates are high for your area. How do you compare to your area's "stealership"' repair prices?
>>
>>15428704
>That type of thinking is why so many people think techs are just part changers.

No, that is how my Chevy Stealership works. They almost never "repair" a part. It is always about swapping out new official GM/delco parts for anything they deem damaged.

So that is why so many of your customers come in with that mindset. They got traumatized by dealership service departments whose mechanics diagnose that the parts need to be replaced instead of repaired in almost all cases.

The dealership makes more money that way. Why do a repair and get only the repair fee? It's better to sell the marked up part AND do the repair for the fee at the same time. Hence GM dealerships here are parts swappers for max profit.
>>
>>15432534
I'm not saying repairing the part, I'm well aware that basically everything is non serviceable. I'm speaking more of part changers as someone who'll just throw an oxygen sensor at a car with a code for it without doing any checks even for circuit integrity.
>>
>>15423767

Confirmed for being a shit teir garage I bet you have "tune up and oil change" written on a tarp hung up on your buisness.
>>
>>15432949
That is "smart tier" business. Getting someone's car into the shop and up where the bottom can be viewed also allows for inspections of anything going bad.

My dealer uses oil changes as a way of inspecting the car and checking for damages. If the car needs servicing and the person chooses not to, they mark the box and initial the "repairs declined" on the contract. Then that goes into the record for that car that the owner refused maintenance or repair. My dealer refuses to be sued for negligence in case an accident occurs, so this protects the shop.
>>
>>15432949
>Confirmed for being a shit teir garage

Don't have such a hangup about prestige. You may feel your shop is too good to do such small things as oi/filter changes. But it is a valid proven business technique.

Most car repair businesses here (including dealerships) use oil/filter changes as a way of getting the customer into the shop so the car can be inspected. Then the repair sales pitches start. It's a reliable cheap technique because all cars need oil/filter changes.

Another plus is that the potential customer remembers that shop as a place to go to. Name recognition and memory is a valuable business tool in getting future business.
>>
File: bugsbunny.gif (1 MB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
bugsbunny.gif
1 MB, 300x166
>>15423741
What would be any reason for coolant to all of a sudden start flushing out?

>2 days ago
>pulling into a parking space
>bumped the cement stop
>all of a sudden the coolant started flushing out.
>pic related.gif
>was able to drive to walmart for to get a jug of coolant
>pour water in before coolant to check for hose cracks/breaks/leaks
>nothing.
>pour coolant in, start car. Everythings fine and dandy to this day.

Did I manage to hit some sort of flush button or something?

2012 Ford fiesta in case you're wondering.
>>
>>15434702
Maybe heat soak caused boilover overpressure as you idled at the curb stop. So some of the overflow occurred at that time. They do have relief valves you know even on the overflow bottle.
>>
File: 1449357681078.jpg (18 KB, 276x265) Image search: [Google]
1449357681078.jpg
18 KB, 276x265
>>15423767

I bought these front control arm bushings, and I want to pay someone to install them on a foxbody. I do not have access to the tools required to press them out etc. No shop I contact wants any part of it. What do I do?

Please advise. I'll blow you a kiss, faggot. I've been staring at these bushings on my desk for months.
>>
>>15432534
Interesting, In my workshop sometimes it is economically better for both my company and customer for parts to be repaired. For example, a circuit board in a machine is faulty. Replacement PCB is 1000 our cost, list price being approx 1300 or thereabouts so $300 markup. In this instance it will cost the customer 1300 + labor. so we make 300 + labor..
If we can repair the circuit board in say 3 hours and a few components, cost us say $35 in components, charge customer 3 hours plus components plus parts we still make more than the markup on the replacement PCB but it costs the customer less.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.