[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread/QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77
File: qtddtot.jpg (122 KB, 999x624) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.jpg
122 KB, 999x624
I searched for one, but didn't see one up.

I live in New York City and work as a mechanic. I want to buy something with a bed so I can transport motorcycles and other stuff.

I don't want a van to do so because I hate working on vans and in a perfect world a Ford Transit Connect or similar with a diesel engine and nice warranty would satisfy everything I could want.

I can choose between a rear wheel drive regular cab short bed/extended cab short bed truck or a UTE (El Camino or Ford Ranchero)

RCSB/ECSB

>Can haul/tow better than UTE most of the time
>Might be able to find with a diesel engine
>smaller than most UTEs
>easier to park
>higher stock ride height useful for winter
>if gas, mileage may suck
>could suck for highway driving

UTE

>handles more like a car
>Never made a with a diesel engine to my knowledge
>can haggle for car parking garage rates because it's based on a car
>might be target for theft because UTE
>would suck in heavy load situations more than likely
>must be V8 because the six cylinder engines were dogshit slow in american UTEs

What do? Can I find a diesel RCSB/ECSB? Will a gas one destroy my wallet? Will the UTE be easier to live with? Which should I choose?
>>
What's the best way to remove rtv from a transmission housing where the pan attaches.
>>
>>15216871

A razor blade or wire wheel with MEK, lacquer thinner, or gasoline.
>>
Yeah I got a question

where is the damn Brit/o/ meet thread?
>>
>>15216911

>wire wheel

Yeah have fun destroying the gasket surface.

A razorblade is fine though if youre gentle and careful. A rag soaked in gas will help loosen rtv and rub some chunks off.

A sharp surface made of brass would be GOAT but have fun finding something that specific.
>>
>>15217166
>>15216911
thanks
razor and gas it is, thanks
>>
I have a whole list of parts to replace.
>PCV hose + valve
>manifold gasket
>valve cover gasket
>idle air control valve
>engine mounts

I don't have the tools to get at the engine mounts, and haven't done anything more demanding than changing headlights yet.
Does /o/ think that idle air valve + valve cover gasket is a good start for babby's first repair, and pay a mechanic to do the rest?
>>
File: 00H0H_ct9s1QkOE9Y_600x450.jpg (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00H0H_ct9s1QkOE9Y_600x450.jpg
32 KB, 600x450
What is the general /o/pinion on the SVT cobra?

I'm looking at this one (killeen.craigslist.org/ctd/5613520634.html) because it ticks my boxes:
>at least somewhat fast
>open top
>technically seats 4
>probably won't detonate within 20k mi
>Sub $10k
>>
I've accidentally overfilled the power steering fluid with a sealant I bought at CVS. Instead of being at the upper limit, the container is filled all the way to to the brim. Should I take some out, and if so, how?
>>
>>15217526
A sealant from cvs? What is it specifically?

And get a turkey baster or battery filler (turkey baster at vatozone) to empty it
>>
File: power steering fluid.jpg (13 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
power steering fluid.jpg
13 KB, 450x450
>>15217571
Pic related. Thanks m8.
>>
>>15217492
Looks good. One main problem is the intake runner valves fouling up and sticking closed. And also the white paint on this gen mustang was known for peeling. Other than that they're good cars. With that many miles make sure if the clutch cable has been replaced it was replaced with a Ford cable or it will leave you stranded.
>>
>>15217629
Thanks anon. I'll be sure to check those things. I guarantee the dealer won't know shit about the clutch cable though, about how difficult/expensive is a replacement?
>>
File: crown vic.jpg (116 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
crown vic.jpg
116 KB, 500x375
Can somebody inform me on what this circled doohickey is?
>>
>>15217526
Suck it out with a straw,
>>
>>15217815
it doesnt hurt the teeth or anything right?
>>
Which fluids do I use to change the following:

Transmission fluid
Rear differential (front too?)
Power steering
Brake Fluid

Car is 2013 STI
>>
>>15217749
Ac Dryer probably, depends on where those hoses go.
>>
>>15217838
Do you not have the owners manual? Are you not on a Subaru dedicated forum?
>>
>>15217866
I was actually looking for brand suggestions.

Most people in my local group recommend Amsoil products.

Just seeing what brand is good/bad.
>>
>>15217838
>>15217880
>>15217866
just do like anon said and go on a forum. read reviews and opinions. you can always use whatever they use directly from the dealer parts
>>
Will this fuel pump be ok to install in my Forester? Is there anything I need to check other than whether it's mechanical/electrical?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Goss-Fuel-Pump-GE044.aspx?pid=340606&menuFrom=50601#Recommendations
>>
File: 1463415436933.jpg (280 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1463415436933.jpg
280 KB, 800x800
I have a 2002 Mustang GT.
The car shakes pretty heavily if I let off the gas quickly in lower gears. Especially when under 2k RPM. I'm thinking it is the engine mounts. Would that be a viable assumption?
Also when I'm reversing, if I don't rev high enough the bitch can shake pretty badly. This might just be a footwork problem, not enough gas or something. But now I'm thinking it might be those motor mounts too.

Would just like some input before I spend $40 for my mechanic to "diagnose" it.
>>
File: utonagan-u5.jpg (58 KB, 1410x901) Image search: [Google]
utonagan-u5.jpg
58 KB, 1410x901
my first car broke down and is essentially totaled.

looking to get something small/gas efficient that still looks nice on a 3-5000 dollar budget

Something manly would be nice.

any ideas?
>>
So my friend who I'm traveling with scheduled a Tesla test drive in London. They didn't ask him about the age and he didn't sign any documents yet. The thing is we're both 18 and he has a drivers licence but on the Tesla website it says that the minimum drivers age is 25 years old. Will he be able to drive the car or no?
>>
Hey /o/, I've got a 89 Ford Crown Vic with the EFI 5.0L 302cui V8 Windsor engine, and I'm getting a high idle. The car doesn't have a RPM gauge, but based on what I hear, the car is idling between 2-3K, and sometimes the car will pull itself (read: me not giving it gas) up to speeds of 30 mph!

What am I dealing with? How can it be remedied? I've already replaced the air filter, what else do I need to do?

Thanks
>>
The clutch went out on my 93 Toyota truck and I was quoted $1200 parts and labor, not including tax. Although the service advisor emailed me saying "they have a couple discounts they can add". Maybe that's 10% tops? I brought it to the dealership where the previous (and only other) owner had taken it its whole life.

On top of that they are saying it will be over $500 to replace the head light combo switch. The main headlights no longer work and the only way I can drive at night is by holding the switch back to keep the brights on.

In case it isn't completely obvious, I'm clueless about cars. I'm assuming the dealership's prices are inflated. That and being in the SF Bay Area. So my stupid question is where do I go from here? Just call other shops and ask them for a quote for the clutch/combo switch? Is this actually a fair price? Estimates I've looked up online vary a lot.
>>
What are good /o/ related jobs that do not require certifications? I'm a college student and am looking to work ~ 24-30 hrs a week.

Has anyone worked for Discount/Americas Tires?
>>
File: 1957171aa3f5a0577_640.jpg (111 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1957171aa3f5a0577_640.jpg
111 KB, 640x480
>>15219939
>small/gas efficient
Geo/Chevy metro
50 mpg, poorman's special, and all around lady killer.
Go for it. Don't be ashamed of the low horsepower, the canadian metro came with a turbo by default, so the parts are there if you want it. Just be warned its fwd so no hektik skidz
>>
>>15220057
had a similar problem with a ford focus.
Check the throttle body, and if your car has one the idle air control valve. If they're gunked up and blackened (lots of carbon on them) clean them off, and see if that fixes your problem. If not, maybe check your pcv hose/valve and make sure they're working properly, as those both will also cause high idle.

>>15221091
>"couple discounts"
they're inflating the price and dropping it to normal to give you "a good deal". Since you're in cali, go find a cheap mexican garage, explain what needs to be done (bring along a translator if needed) and they'll probably be able to do your clutch for like half of that quote. $600 is what I'd aim for, if they quote you higher than $8-900, then walk.

I can't speak for the headlight switch, as electrical gremlins are a pain in the ass, and it'll depend heavily on how much wiring they have to chew up and replace to solve your issues.
>>
>>15221173
>auto job
>no certs
Go find an oil change place like a Valvoline or a Jiffy lube. Nothing spectacular, you'll make maybe $9/hr, but it's a good place to start babby's first maintenance and be paid for it. Also a good way to get your foot in the door. Work there for about 6 months, then transfer to another place such as a dealership, with the experience you've acquired.
>>
>>15217247
I'm sure you could do everything except mounts if you get started. It's not that difficult.
>>
>>15221227

So since they're not going to drop it to $800 I should probably go elsewhere right.

I'll do some more research on the combo switch as well. I've heard bad things about electrical issues, but the interesting thing is that I only started having issues with the lights after I got the head gasket repaired...the brights would come on when I hit a bump or something, and I've have to jostle the switch a bunch of times to turn the brights off. But now the normal lights don't work at all.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it
>>
File: volvojellypesants.jpg (54 KB, 554x474) Image search: [Google]
volvojellypesants.jpg
54 KB, 554x474
So a little backstory:
>'96 Volvo 850 Turbo
>URO Parts (can't do umlaut) makes unreliable crap
>current (probably original install) coolant hose is ballooning pretty good
>intake hose looks okay
>ya I'm doing the radiator hoses too, but using Rein
>about to go on a 2K mile trip to a desert at mostly 80mph

>and the tl:dr
So my turbo coolant return hose, which is like a 3"x 1/2" piece of tubing, is ballooning. The only replacement i can find anywhere (i.e. the internet and local part shops) that is't a silicon hose kit from IPD is a URO part which I already bought b/c it was $3. I really don't want to toast my turbo with a $3 POS part, and I've seen their quality parts before firsthand. I'm taking a long trip to a hot place for a week at the end of the month; wat do?
I'm not adverse to buying the silicon hose kit, but I was hoping for a <$10 fix now and then getting the silicon hose kit later this year with a bunch of IPD goodies for free shipping

obvious choices:
>install the shit part and hope it don't 'splode on the highway
>spring for quality IPD parts and pay half of what the product is worth in shipping
>find a better parts supplier
>>
File: 1456616974959.png (977 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1456616974959.png
977 KB, 1080x1920
>>15218411
sounds likely
>take a 2x4 and your trolley jack
>place under oil pan
>using 2x4 between your oil and and your jack, lift up the engine
>locate engine mounts, inspect
>if bad, replace
don't try this with an aluminum oil pan if you are nub

>>15219960
>can I break the rules because I'm/my friend is a special snowflake?
not bloody like m8 R U 'avin a laugh son?
>>
File: chevette.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
chevette.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
Asking again since nobody actually answered.

I bought a '93 Chevette a few weeks ago, i want to make a real "on budget" sportscar. I already have polished the engine heads and cleaned the engine itself. So there is a Scania 1113 turbine being selled by a friend of mine. How much can go wrong if i put that truck turnine on a I4 1.8L engine.

Pic is the car.
>>
>>15222312
>not bloody like m8 R U 'avin a laugh son?
That's what I told him lmao, we'll show up anyways, we got nothing to lose.
>>
File: me_boosta.png (76 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
me_boosta.png
76 KB, 375x360
>>15222340
>what will happen
>if i put a giant ass turbo
>on a GM lawnmower engine?

>yfw 5 hours of redlining later
>the turbo actually spools
>>
File: Oe1etb3.jpg (939 KB, 1793x3187) Image search: [Google]
Oe1etb3.jpg
939 KB, 1793x3187
Should I buy this for $23k, or spend an extra $10k on a fully-loaded model (the truck right next to it)?

I've test driven a fuckton of SUVs and trucks and narrowed it down to this one.
>>
>>15222735
>gay family auto
>>
>>15222340
> How much can go wrong if i put that truck turnine on a I4 1.8L engine.
literally everything, but it will be fun nonetheless
>>
>>15222312
About the engine mounts. Is it worth trying to do myself if the only thing I've replaced on a car myself are ignition coils and spark plugs lol.
I wouldn't mind taking to the shop, but I fucking work everyday.
>>
File: error code.webm (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
error code.webm
2 MB, 1080x1920
I followed a guide to pull my ces codes from my 97 nissan maxima, and it blinks slowly twice, then blinks fast 15 times.

Am I reading it wrong or does that just mean "p215"?

webm related
>>
Don't know if this is a stupid question or not.
I want to paint my seats and was looking for good water based vinyl paints. Was wondering if anyone had any experience/preference with a certain brand.
>>
File: russia_starie_photo_29.jpg (120 KB, 700x471) Image search: [Google]
russia_starie_photo_29.jpg
120 KB, 700x471
>>15222813
>should I/ can I do it myself?
it's pretty easy to DIY, but i's also decently cheap to get a mechanic to do. your call, br/o/

>>15222949
>I want to paint my seats
okay.
>water based vinyl paint
doesn't exist; use
>dupli-color vinyl AND fabric spraypaint from O'Reallys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBq8hfyLQo
>looks like a factory piece
>>
>>15222867
http://www.troublecodes.net/nissan/
Click your specific Model/Trim/Engine and it will give you a breakdown of the SPECIFIC codes.
I'm currently brushing up on Datsun's glorious tool free MIL readout, that's bretty cool. Apparently you can clear codes by doing a fancy dance.
I would reccomend going on amazon and getting a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, because you can use it with TORQUE on an android device and get detailed reports, monitor O2 sensor behavior, A/F mix, etc.
>>
File: Nissan-Hardbody.jpg (188 KB, 2364x1104) Image search: [Google]
Nissan-Hardbody.jpg
188 KB, 2364x1104
>>15223168
>clear codes with fancy dance
fancy dance confirmed on '91 D21
>>
>>15223103
Thanks homie. Think I'll just take to the mechanic.
>>
File: EVAP.png (24 KB, 946x149) Image search: [Google]
EVAP.png
24 KB, 946x149
>>15222867
it is me
>>15223168

apparently the slow flashes are the first digit, and fast flashes mean following digits, so you had 2 slow, DELAY, 15 fast.

That translates to 215, here is what the site I referenced translates that to evap failure, canister/purge.
>>
>>15223287
Ahh thanks a ton, do you think that's something I should worry about fixing?
>>
File: PANIC.gif (473 KB, 344x297) Image search: [Google]
PANIC.gif
473 KB, 344x297
>>15222867

Are we having fun yet?
>>
where can I get a carb from an 85 s10 2.8 to swap into my 86? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
>>
>>15223296
It isn't HUGE, but it might be causing rough idling, hard starting, poor MPGs etc.

Alternatively, it might be that you left your gas cap off, or have a damaged gas cap. Cars run the fuel system closed and depend on a controlled pressure.

My recommendation
>Make sure the gas cap is on all the way after making sure it isn't damaged/broken
>Do the fancy dance to reset your code
>Make sure the gas cap seals properly and "Hisses" when you open it after a drive
Drive around and if the code doesn't come back you are good.
>>
>>15223296
Itll make you fail emissions.
>>
>>15223325
>Do the fancy dance to reset your code
what?
>you put your right foot in
>you take your right foot out
>you put your right foot in and shake it all about
oh
for resetting the airbag light:
>open the door
>turn car on
>close and open door 5 times in 7 seconds
>turn car off

>>15223308
heh
>>
File: IMG_20160327_175928.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_175928.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
So obviously my shocks are fucked. How hard are they to swap out, assuming I have things like a floor jack + jackstands, relevant hand tools, etc? Only thing I don't have are strut compressors. Problem is, googling that gives me 6 or 7 different tools.
>>
>>15223322
Why the FUCK would you want that junky ass Rochester carb?

Just get a 4bbl edelbrock w/ an adapter or something.
>>
>>15223436
You might even need a torch to get them out unless you have a 1/2" impact and a compressor like the other anon said. I wouldn't mess around with cheap spring compressors, not worth the risk, see if you can buy the whole strut as an assembly with the spring already on it
>>
>>15223466
More like edelBrick

Nothing beats god tier holley 4 bbl

also checked >>15223322
>>
File: rezgooddeal.jpg (101 KB, 720x704) Image search: [Google]
rezgooddeal.jpg
101 KB, 720x704
>>15223436
>all that rust...

>how hard?
mid tier; struts should come out as a solid unit and then you can rebuild them, which is actually the PITA
>what tools?
if they're struts you need a spring compressor and an impact wrench will be very handy. if they're shocks then hand tools should suffice.
>what do for strut compressors?
well you want a spring compressor, and if you are near an O'Reallys they will rent them to you for free. they say it's a 2 day rental but my local store says they will do it for months as long as the tool is eventually brought back working
>etc?
you should paint those springs if you're resuing them, sand 'em good
>>
File: IMG_20160524_161002.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_161002.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>15223614
>all that rust

Well, It IS a toyota. And I'll probably just get all new shocks assemblies.
>>
>>15223466
sure, I really just want to get that horrible tbi off. which one would you recommend I look for?
>>
>>15223747
that is pretty neat anon
>>
File: IMG_20160524_102458.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_102458.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>15223828
Thanks. Its clearly had a hard life, though. Transmission doesn't like to stay in first, swaybars busted (might just yank it off entirely) E-brake cables busted. And the engine leaks oil very slowly from somewhere in the front. Really hoping its just the timing chain cover gasket or something and not a main seal
>>
>>15216851
What could cause my car to completely turn off while driving? I thought the first time that it happened I stalled it but while driving around my neighborhood it turned off like if the battery was removed. I changed radios yesterday from OEM to aftermarket.Could it be the alternator?
>>
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5620348154.html

Is this a bad deal?
>>
>>15224557
>o
look at the back left quarter panel right behind the wheel well. There's a bit of rust/bondo. Use it to talk the person down. As long as it runs fine and nothing is leaking, it's a good deal.

However, be worried because the person knows what they've got i.e.
>RARE TO FIND
>RARE CAR
>>
>>15223823
>I really just want to get that horrible tbi off

whats wrong with it? that engine isn't gonna get stronger with a carb. the 2.8 was junk all around.

that being said, you're gonna need the intake manifold off a carbed truck if you REALLY want to go that route.
>>
Can someone explain to me how to Use RTV on exhaust? I'm about to get a new full system and I don't want to re-use the stock gaskets and the place I'm buying from doesn't have all the gaskets.
>>
I'm having a total blank and forgetting the name of of one of my favorite cars. It was a really high end V8 from Europe that was insanely expensive to buy, and even pricier to maintain. The engine had to be placed so far back so the hood could actually meet the design look. It's considered one of the most hideous cars ever and it looks like a cross between a Countach and a Volvo.
>>
I'm going to go check this car out today. It's going to be my first car. What would be a reasonable offer? I'm illiterate when it comes to cars and I don't know anyone that is. Would it be a good idea to ask if I can bring it to a mechanic for a look over?

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/5602161711.html
>>
>>15226216
definitly bring a mechanic over, for any car you check out.

read the sticky for things to look out for (it's in the comments)

also, don't buy it in the same day you look at it (if you decide to buy it). sleep on it.

you could probably get him down to 5000$, maybe even 4,5$, if he's a really shit seller, or you're good (but since it's a dealer, i doubt it).

say you wanted the automatic, or that you liked a diferent collour, or that your wife won't let you go over 5k (even if all of those are lies).

most importantly, feel free to walk out. they want your money more than you want that car.

with all that said. it's a pretty good car. i'd have prefered the manual myself.

TL;DR:
>Most definitly bring a mechanic
>Don't buy it right away, sleep on it
>Haggle for a lower price, lie if necessary
>it's a pretty good car, go for it.
>>
>>15226260
>>15226216
also, never point out things you like about the car, always point out bad things, or things you dislike
>ew, it's FWD, i'd rather have RWD
>ew, it's automatic, i'd rather have the manual
>ew, it's black, i'd rather have bright pink with beige on the inside
>oh my, is that rust
>did someone vomit on the carpet?
>why does the engine sound funny
>etc...

none of this needs to be true, it's just needs to bring the price down.

if you go in a look at the car like OP's mom looks at Chad Thunderloins Dick, the seller will know you're hurting bad for that car, and you'll probably end up paying even more than you were expecting.

it's the old sex saying
act dissenterested in order to get your partner's A game.
>>
im getting my window tinted on my 06 corolla. the problem is the fucking groupon thing doesnt cover the little mini rear windows. the guy says itll be 15 each and i dont feel like pay for it right now, or at all even. will it look retarded if i never get it it done. or just suck it up. groupon discount is 50%. it will be just 40% if i get those done.
>>
File: AUDI90-1512_1.jpg (479 KB, 1024x751) Image search: [Google]
AUDI90-1512_1.jpg
479 KB, 1024x751
Is this a good car? Audi 90 B2.
Around 500€ for beater with leather interior and a 5 cylinder sounds good to me
>>
>>15225232
Get the copper blend rtv, use it like you would normal rtv
>>
Does anyone have a cadillac seville sts 1998 repair manual pdf and is willing to share it?
>>
Who is alphonse?
>>
>>15226586
A faggot who spams the board late at night to slide all the threads in to the archive.
>>
File: zabootywarrior.jpg (35 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
zabootywarrior.jpg
35 KB, 500x270
>>15226614
That's deliciously evil
>>
>>15226642
No, it's just autism
>>
File: zechallenger.png (131 KB, 1421x834) Image search: [Google]
zechallenger.png
131 KB, 1421x834
Is this accurate?
>>
>>15226544
I'm assuming the tube itself will have fairly simple instructions on it? This will be my first time doing something like this, I'm trying to make sure I don't fuck up my entire exhaust
>>
File: IMG_20160608_093852.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160608_093852.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /o/ This is my first time changing the oil. It's a 2003 Ford Focus, manual. Is this thing where the oil is? It has a knob for a socket wrench on the other side. I also can't find the oil filter.
>>
File: IMG_20160608_093857.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160608_093857.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>15226857
Other side.
>>
Say I have a nice car that I daily in good weather, but refuse to take it out during the winter, what's a car literally built for snowy weather and road salt?
>>
>>15226857
>>15226870
Jesus Christ just Google it youre on the internet. Also probably. there's a chance thats the transmission fluid pan but I dunno. The filters usually higher up in between stuff.
>>
>>15226987
Audis with quatro drivetrains
>>
>>15226857

the oil pan will be on the passenger size of the car assuming its LHD, the driver side pan is the oil pan. on a Ford Focus the oil filter should be on the front or front-passenger side of the engine, it wont be too hard to change
>>
>>15225232

get the orange high-temperature silicone, glob it where the flanges meet, bolt it up, let it dry for a hour, start the car.
>>
>>15226987
Subaru's go through snow awesome but they rust pretty bad too.

Just get a Camry unless you're in Alaska.
>>
This might actually require a thread but oh well,
I'm looking to buy a sports car for around 10-15k euros but can't decide on what to get.
I've seen some nice 350z's or older bmw's but i can't make up my mind.
What do you guys suggest?
>>
>>15226987

i know you said car but just get a old 4x4 truck, so much easier in winter. ground clearance for anything, can blow over snow drifts and obstacles, etc. late 80s early 90s Toyota 4x4 or Nissan KingCab 4x4 isnt more than a few grand
>>
>>15216851
what is a good cheap tire for driving normally
>>
>>15221091

Same poster, so I called around and of the ten places I called the lowest estimate I got was $800 to replace the clutch. Maybe i'm still getting shafted, but it seems like Bay Area prices are just inflated.

This is with just resurfacing the flywheel, if it needs a new one it's $90 extra. Is it smart to just get a new one now to avoid problems down the line, or does it just depends on the condition of the existing one? I'm reading about it online but the response seems mixed. I'd rather spend the money now than just delay it and have to spend more on labor later, if it's a good idea. I emailed the first place about its condition.
>>
>>15227640

First service center said they typically resurface and replacing is unnecessary, and that mine doesn't need replacing...are they still trying to dick me somehow?
>>
File: lowered nissan 350z.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
lowered nissan 350z.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
>>15227019
Z desu
>>
File: hankook ventus v2 concept 2.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hankook ventus v2 concept 2.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>15227310
get them at discounttiredirect.com
>>
My shitbox 92 MX-6 got towed, and in the process of towing they ripped apart the exhaust and left it sounding like shit.

What recourse do I have beyond filing a claim, and how fucked am I?
>>
File: yogone-lada.jpg (21 KB, 520x309) Image search: [Google]
yogone-lada.jpg
21 KB, 520x309
My plastic hubcaps are peeling and I'd like to paint them so they look nice again. I'm pretty comfortable with prepping and priming, but I don't know shit about making paint look good and lay flat. I do have a large compressor and spray gun.

Any tips on paint to use and methods to apply it? Should I use clear coat and if so what kind?

Would I be better off doing the prepping/priming myself and sending the hubcaps to Maaco or somewhere for painting?

pic unrelated
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 328x154) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 328x154
>>15216851
How long do new discs and pads take to work properly?

I got new pads and discs fitted earlier today, I noticed straight away the pedal felt a lot firmer and the brakes start to work with much less pedal travel, but I've done probably 200 miles of driving today and the stopping power is dangerously shit.

I haven't tried doing a panic stop or anything but they seem really bad. I almost crashed when I came up to a bend and couldn't slow down. I know brakes are meant to take a wrile to bed in, but they are way worse than my old setup which had pads totally worn down to the backing plate.
>>
>>15227009
Do I need to worry about getting any in the exhaust?
>>
>>15228302

give it a week or so of heavy driving to bed in, my Toyota Crown when i did the rear brakes took a good 2 weeks to bed in and not feel wonky
>>
How often should I change my oil filter? I know everyone says change it when you change your oil but my car was leaking a ton of oil so ive just been putting in fresh oil pretty often and I dont want to change my oil so often.
>>
File: 1989_Dodge_Aries_K_coupe.jpg (466 KB, 1912x897) Image search: [Google]
1989_Dodge_Aries_K_coupe.jpg
466 KB, 1912x897
I'm going to look at an 1988 Dodge Ares in a few days and wonder if there's anything I should look out for specifically with them or Chrysler's K platform?

Mileage is a bit high and currently has an exhaust leak.
>>
Is there such a thing as chassis wear? Like, Imagine two cars of the same year with no rust or crashes. One has 25k on the odometer, the other has 250k. Would one be stronger because its been driven less?

Thanks
>>
>>15228523
You can go like 5 years/15k+ miles on one if you really want to. Since you keep the oil fresh, I personally wouldn't bother with a filter change more than once a year.
>>
>>15217749
I know other anon said dryer but could also be an accumulator same idea but basically a reciever/dryer is after the condenser on the high pressure side and an accumulator is after the evaporator on the low pressure side
>>
File: car_stereo.jpg (89 KB, 1080x430) Image search: [Google]
car_stereo.jpg
89 KB, 1080x430
Are all car stereos the same? I need to replace the one in my car; I want one with an aux cable that plays CD's, stock one does not have aux input.

I know there are single/dual DIN stereos, but they consume the same amount of power? Will I have any trouble getting some random aftermarket stereo at frys?
>>
File: 00P0P_btvF8oUlZE6_1200x900.jpg (109 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_btvF8oUlZE6_1200x900.jpg
109 KB, 1200x900
Is this CR-X's odometer rolled back?
>>
>>15216851
are ebay rotors safe? Im looking at a V1Specs kit for around 300, compared to the nearly 900 Lexus wants.
>>
>>15228874
probably if the engine and body don't match the miles
or a cluster was swapped.

check the VIN reports

>>15228397
it will burn up and stink maybe. don't worry but try to keep it clean
>>
>>15228229
just plasti dip them, cant mess it uo
>>
>>15228729
if youre not using an amp and just need a head unit to drive 4 door speakers, any will do cheapest is jvc you can get installation kits for your car at crutchfield
>>
>>15228620
there are plenty of chasis seams where adhesive sealer is used as opposed to welds, these can cause issues like water leaks in unibody cars not sure about rigidity, i think accident damage would be the main thing
>>
File: russia_starie_photo_21.jpg (223 KB, 700x481) Image search: [Google]
russia_starie_photo_21.jpg
223 KB, 700x481
>>15221988
samegfag here, I bit the bullet and swapped in the new URO part since the old hose was so bad; it wasn't OEM, was ballooned way worse than I thought (hose clamps wouldn't even slip over it), and it had no inner heat lining so I think I did the right thing.
>putting new hose into place
>stretching it pretty good
>poorly printed maker stamp flakes off
well at least it did something right already
>>
>>15228620
some vehicles develop noticeable body flex due to age and sometimes by design
>p80 chassis comes to mind
>already designed to slightly flex
>metal fatigues with age
>strut tower braces are highly recommended
>>
Got an old moped on Craigslist for free, want to work on it cause nothing ever goes wrong with my dd. Is it possible to find out who owned it? I don't want to fix it up to find out it was stolen or the original ownder wants it, As it was just left on their property
It has a vin number....but it's 7 digits long....
>>
>>15229786
did it have a plate? if you're in the U.S. the VIN thread can run that
>7 character VIN
that sounds like a partial? it should be several places so try to find another one
>>
Are 10-20yr old BMWs actually bad or is it a meme? I see "$2k/yr maintenance" and other shit thrown around all the time, but that sounds insane to me.
>>
>>15229917
It does have a plate, so I can look that up?
And just ask the original owner if he cares about it?
>>
>>15230208
As an owner of an E36, I'd say $2k/yr maintenance is a bit of an exaggeration. Like any car, an old BMW's long-term health depends on how well it's been maintained over time.
>>
File: 1456191741962.jpg (58 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1456191741962.jpg
58 KB, 500x667
>>15230208
it is insane and it's not a meme
>unless you cheap out on build quality and buy URO parts
>enjoy your yuropeen suicide

>>15230533
>I can run plates?
yes, from the U.S.
since you have problems reading:
GO TO THE VIN THREAD
>is there an echo in here?

>just ask the current owner if he cares about it?
>AYFKM?
This is how you buy a motor vehicle, an/o/n.
>You need
a bill of sale (nice to have) proof of insurance (need to have) and a title, AKA pink slip (need to have)
Only the last registered owner can get a duplicate title.
I assume you don't have the title and neither did the people who gave you the moped. It may not be worth it to get ahold of the owners duplicate since you don't know who has the original, if there's any fees due on the rego or if it's a salvage.
>oh you don't have a bill of sale either because it was free, how nice.
better hope it's not stolen
>unless you have a pink slip you will never register that thing
>>
File: 20160608_215229.jpg (526 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160608_215229.jpg
526 KB, 1080x1920
I know what this cable is for, but what is it actually called so I can order a new one?
Its supposed to have a little rubber stopgap or something to keep it in place but it doesn't
>>
File: Itsukidad.jpg (31 KB, 269x356) Image search: [Google]
Itsukidad.jpg
31 KB, 269x356
>>15230730
Looks like a throttle cable
>source: played with one for 15 minutes today
>>
>>15230761
is it just a throttle cable? There are two of them and the one I'm pointing too is connected to the AC so it idles higher with the AC on
>>
I just bought a used car and the key didn't have a fob with it. The guy I got it from doesn't know if its supposed to have one because it didnt have one when he bought it at auction

Is there a way I can tell if its supposed to have one? Something in the fuse box maybe?
>>
File: 1462331089120.jpg (291 KB, 700x988) Image search: [Google]
1462331089120.jpg
291 KB, 700x988
I didn't replace my oil for 18 months. How fucked is my car?
>>
>>15230862
Depends on how you drive it. Some dealerships will seriously schedule once yearly or biyearly oil changes because the car is normally driven by women and old farts.
>>
>>15230895
I drive ~25 miles per week.
>>
File: speed duck.jpg (182 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
speed duck.jpg
182 KB, 675x1200
>>15230785
>such bait and switch
then perhaps it's an a/c idle cable
>not owning a chiltons
you could already be done
>if you really can't find out
just take it to the parts desk or get a vatozone clerk to come out and look at it

>>15230811
try looking in the owners manual; the fuse box is also a good bet and you could always just call the dealer, info is free
>>
>>15231009
I wanted to pretend like I know what I'm doing when I roll up to O'reillys and start requesting parts
>>
File: 1443751514296.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1443751514296.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>15231042
>I would like to pretend
you are only fooling yourself; your hubris and their minimum wage incompetence is the only thing standing between you and the right part
>visual check is best check; even O'Reallys gomers and VatoBros will be hard pressed to fuck that up
>>
>>15229137
>>15229757

Exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to mitigate that? Reason I'm asking is I might want to start a project car that I'd do an engine swap on, so I'm wondering if chassis mileage will be an issue.
>>
Poorfag here that knows only a slight amount about cars here.

I currently have a 1991 Nissan D21 Hardbody (RWD) with ~156k miles. I've been offered a straight trade with a 1995 Impreza (AWD) with ~120k miles. Brakes are going and it has no exhaust but he will fix that before the trade.

Both 5-speed manuals; Impreza has A/C, Hardbody does not.

Sound like a good idea?
>>
>>15230208
>plastic/rubber used in places where no one else uses plastic for a good reason
>its the shittiest plastic/rubber they could spec at the time

>save weight
>by refusing to reinforce critical suspension attachment points on chassis with additional welds or sheetmetal

they're not bad once you catch up on replacing a bunch of worn out 10-20 year old parts after the PO ONLY did oil changes for the time he owned it. bmw aftermarket parts tend to be cheaper/better quality than other manufacturers, you just find yourself replacing more of them. a lot of them are date stamped too, everything i've replaced on my e36 is original so far

on that note, is this hard line safe to use? torched the shit out of it until it got red hot off the car trying to separate a small fitting off (clutch delay valve) until i heard a pop and felt something fly at my face (wear safety glasses, it hit me a inch below my eye).

its from the clutch slave to a flex line for the clutch hydraulics
>>
>>15231271
same line, pic related.
>>
Would it be gay to trade my Honda Shadow for a 03 Eclipse Convertible?
Also, instead should I just get a 98 Trans Am with T-Tops and call it a day instead?
>>
My tires say "109S at 50PSI" and "Max Load ____kg at 50PSI" does that mean that my recommended tire pressure is 50psi? I have them filled to 40 right now but they still bulge a lot at the bottom so I figure they're not full enough?
>>
Like an old timey grandma I want to cover my leather backseats so my shithead friends don't fuck them up even more. How do I do this
>>
>>15231388
Go with the recommended tire pressure that is on the inside of the door of your car, on most tires some bulge is needed for proper wear of the tire
>>
>>15231307
>Would it be gay to trade my Honda Shadow for a 03 Eclipse Convertible?

Yes, Mitsubishi of that era are shit, and convertibles are expensive to maintain in general

Just get the trans am
>>
>>15231271
Meh over heating certain metals can weaken them, and brake lines are generally easy to make.
>>
File: c70-subframe-brace.jpg (228 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
c70-subframe-brace.jpg
228 KB, 800x600
>>15231180
>swapping an engine into a chassis
>worried about age of chassis
if it's clean (free of rust) and straight (free of collision damage), it will be fine

>ideas to mitigate?
bracing mainly.
>gonna use p80 example again
>most people use strut towers
>holy grail is pic related
>subframe brace from a c70 convertible
>fits on any p80 chassis except the AWD
>sidenote: a lot of convertibles have these
custom building still will also work but is almost always more expensive

>>15231189
don't get rid of the D21, my '91 has 268K miles and needs a new timing chain but runs like a top; I'm replacing the idler arm today. they are god tier reliable (except the paint)
>that thing will be around for another 10 years anon.
>plus you have the cool hood vents
you want to trade it for a car known for head gasket leaks. I wouldn't, but A/C is nice and there are much worse cars

>>15231271
>>15231274
the metal looks super discolored
>is that pitting on the line?
>and did you sway it exploded and peppered your face with shrapnel?
As a general rule I really try not to reuse heated parts except lug nuts

>>15231307
wow.

>>15231388
look in the owners manual or inside the door frame for a sticker, it should tell you how much you need to inflate your tires
>mine's in the gas flap

>>15232276
learn 2 sew leather or take it to an upholstery shop
>if you take them out of your car and go here it will probably be cheaper than a interior shop but also might be harder to actually find one
>>
File: 20160609_141642.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160609_141642.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
What is this metal ring on the diaphragm spring?
>>
>>15233311
Wag but I'd assume it's to make sure al the springs release evenly
>>
File: 20160609_123938_HDR(2).jpg (1 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160609_123938_HDR(2).jpg
1 MB, 5312x2988
>>15216851
How much life does this particular tire have left, judging by this photo?
>>
>>15233438
Lol you gon die
>>
>>15233461
darn
>>
can i rice a 1997 nissan sentra? my mum bought it for me
>>
>>15217833
no, and it tastes great, drink some!
>>
i saw a video of a guy who converted his 1997 nissan sentra into a convertable. it is hot where i live, my mom bought it for me. how can i do this
>>
File: IMG_20160609_153552947.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_153552947.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Rear differential leak, 1994 Ford ranger 2.3l 5spd

How much is this going to cost to fix? I'm not going to do it myself.
>>
File: car-crushed-by-truck.jpg (47 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
car-crushed-by-truck.jpg
47 KB, 640x360
>>15233722
drive under a semi truck
>>
>>15233744
thats not a nissan sentra from 1997. will this still work
>>
>>15233737
seriously? that is such a piss easy thing to fix
>buy a new differential cover
>clean out diff
>put on new gasket and diffcover
>new oil
done, if it takes you more than an half an hour, you might as well kill yourself.
>>
So recently I've been having an issue with my foxbody. The turn signals, rear window defroster, and reverse lights don't work. All three of those things work off of Fuse #5 (15A). Here's the tricky part - The fuse is fine. It's not blown or anything. Any idea what could be causing this?
>>
>>15234530
Side note: The turn signals don't come on outside, and the indicator in the dash does not work either.

However, my hazard lights work fine. Both turn signals flash and the indicators come on.
>>
I really want to blow twenty GS on a mustang but I can't drive stick. Worth it to just buy a shitty still-runs for five hundred off CL to drive for a month or two beforehand?
>>
>>15234566
Learning to drive a manual is incredibly easy.
>>
>>15233737
Literally less than, 50 if you do it yourself, probably double or triple that if you take it to a shop
>>
>>15234566
The car salesmen will probably even offer to teach you if he wants a sale bad enough.
>>
I gave an 07 dodge stratus, confirmed blown head gasket. Going to fix it myself for learning by purposes and the fact a mechanicwould cost more than its worth. Will the maintenance manual have the step by step guide?
>>
>>15232503
But the door jam says 26PSI, and at 26PSI my tire is almost completely flat and rides on the sidewall.
>>
>>15234657
Yeah everyone I've talked to had said that. Still figured it'd be worth it to ask; maybe see if I even like driving manual at all before getting the purchase made.

>>15234884
Sheeeeit, we'll see I guess, though I'm not certain if want to go through that.

Thanks.
>>
>>15235089
Have fun.

I attempted to replace my old Calibers head gasket and that... well, went south. I'd suggest getting a friend who knows what theyre doing and use their help along with following guides.
>>
>>15235117
Bullshit. at 26 psi it would be low but not that low.

What car do you drive?
>>
>>15235410
4x4 D21 with all terrain tires
>>
when u wanna launch is it better to:
rev it in 1st with clutch pushed in? or
have it in neutral with clutch out then slam into first?
does one way hurt the clutch more than the other?
>>
>>15235680
always with it already in gear..

if you do it in neutral you're just going to blow through your 1st gear synchros not to mention that would be retardedly pointless.
>>
>>15235649
all terrain tires

Well it would've been useful to know that

26 should be enough, if you feel its sketchy bump it up to 30-35.

You inflate them to much and you'll wear them unevenly cutting thier useful life in half.
>>
Is automotive machining /o/ related or a bit off topic?
>>
>>15216851
How many miiles is too many miles on a used car?
How many is just right?
>>
>>15234553
Probably the wiring to the fuse itself. I had a friend who had an issue in her Impala where the wiring to the starter fuse was fucked up so it would continuously blow that fuse every couple of days. Went through 3 fuses before we figured it out.
>>
ls there any difference with oil filters when it compability? l know there are different type of filters when it comes to flow and filtration capacity but can you stick anything on as long as it physically fits?

l don't know what to put into my Celica and l get fucked off trying to find the proper one if such a thing even matters.
>>
>>15238151
Yes . Make sure the bypass pressure is compatible with your car ,otherwise even if you have the best filter it's like having no filter at all
>>
>>15235680
>Clutch already pressed
>Gear already in
>Only step is to release the clutch and launch

Vs

>No clutch
>No gear
>Have to press the clutch
>Have to slam the gear in
>Have to release the clutch and launch at the end anyway

I don't know how you even came up with this chain of events thinking it would be a superior choice either for performance or clutch safety
>>
>>15236736
>no such thing
>delivery miles only
>>
File: 1462680032498.png (398 KB, 960x554) Image search: [Google]
1462680032498.png
398 KB, 960x554
can i pull a strut tower brace off any vehicle and put it on another as long as the length and bolt pattern are the same?
>>
>>15238907
Yes
>>
File: 00W0W_46F5Yf2a1hB_600x450.jpg (20 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
00W0W_46F5Yf2a1hB_600x450.jpg
20 KB, 444x250
Whats with the gague on the hood? Older 70s pontiac GTO, but ive never seen gagues on the hood.
>>
How can I learn about cars, motorcycles and the mechanics behind them so at the very least I gain enough knowledge to do maintanence on my vehicle?

Is there a booklet and/or training series that would teach me this stuff?

My high school never had an auto class so I don't know nuffin

Point me in right direction to begin my journey
>>
I'm gonna change my oil. The cap for the oil calls for 5w-20, but my car is high mileage, and was advised to get thicker oil for my next oil change. What is the next level up? Is it 10w-20? 5w-30?
>>
File: 00E0E_8fDyeyDhP6Q_600x450.jpg (29 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00E0E_8fDyeyDhP6Q_600x450.jpg
29 KB, 337x450
Can I get some purchase advice?

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5627779086.html

I'm looking for something stupid, cheap and fast. I'm not afraid of doing my own maintenance, but I've never maintained a modded car before. I'm going to get an inspection done, but is there anything else I should consider?

Also, price est? I was thinking around $5000 since frame damage seems possible (now or in the future) given the mods done.
>>
How rad is a vr4 wagon?
>>
>>15222351
see you guys on the news
18 year old crashes Tesla during testdrive
>>
>>15241089
Buy a repair manual, socket set, jack and jack stands.

Start with oil changes and work your way up from that, buying tools as you need them.

Thats how most of us started out.
>>
>>15241165
What is the car, and what is the mileage?

Some cars even with high mileage can't take much thicker as will hinder VVT systems.
>>
>>15238907
No.

You have to account for hood and engine clearances.
>>
I'm having some troubles with my 01 Mitsubishi Galant. It will occasionally stall randomly while driving, and is very difficult to start back up. It seems to only happen when the car is hot, cold starts are always fine. Once it has stalled, turning the ignition will cause the engine to rev up, hang for a second, and then die again. Applying accelerator doesn't help, it'll rev up a bit more and then proceed to die. Any ideas on what this could be? I've done some googing, and there seem to be many possibilities for what is causing this.
>>
>>15216851
/o/

Is there a comfy, manual, RWD, 80's Japanese luxobarge I can get in the freedom land without importing?

My first thought was a Cressida, but all of them seem to be automatic.
>>
Ok so the turbo cobalt ss is o approved, but what about other variants of it? How is the supercharged version? Also how is the Ion Redline? Isn't it the same as a cobalt sc? They go for like 2k here and can't you put that Chevy stg3 pulley kit on it for like 600 and get 260 hp?
Is the chassis the same or just the motor?
>>
I probably could make a new thread for this but whatever.
I just bought a new (used) car and I gotta replace a couple things. namely struts and brake pads
I can search up the parts sure, but what brands are good? What brands have the best cost/performance ratio? obviously I dont want to just whatever's cheapest but I dont want to break the bank either
>>
Why is it that I bought a new car on Wednesday and someone managed to hit it while it was parked 2 days later? Can I not have nice things for a whole week?
>>
I'm having an argument with a bro about holding your brakes at a light stop. I never hold them unless it's a slope. Does anyone do that? He told me it's the law.
>>
>>15242882
Tokico blue struts are usually good for brake pads hawk pads or oem pads
>>
>>15242075
Just got the CEL codes. It's throwing up P0340 (camshaft position sensor "A" circuit bank 1 or single sensor) and P0335 (crankshaft position sensor "A" circuit
>>
>>15243756
Sounds like its a sensor or ecu problem but check the timing of the timing belt it may have jumped and tooth
>>
>>15243770
>Check the timing of the timing belt
Does this cause serious immediate damage to the engine? My galant does have an interference engine. I've been avoiding replacing it as it'll likely cost half the initial price of the car but I guess I can't put it off any longer.
>>
>>15242350
SC Cobalt is alright, but the TC is better in more ways than just the 0-60 time. Better suspension, brakes, engine and axles. Still the SC is quick for the money and not a bad buy.

Ion Redline and Cobalt SS/SC are pretty much identical aside from the interior and body. But the Cobalt is a lot more common so it would be easier to find junk cars to pull interior and body bits from.
>>
>>15243918
Some interference engines can get away with a tooth or two being off but most will bend valves. Check the timing if it is just off you can either sell it and try to make money back or fix it and pray that the valves aren't bent
>>
>>15244142
Fuck!
Long-term, what will happen with bent valves? Oh well, car was only $850 and I've driven it 7000 miles so I guess I got my money's worth.
>>
>>15244159
That depends if a valve is bent the engine is done basically, but there are cases where an engine will run with slightly bent/leaking valves
>>
>>15217526
Suck it out. But sealant probably wont do anything except ruin your power steering over time
>>
>>15242127
>wants a luxobarge
>but not automatic
>lives in the US

You're not going to find one.
>>
>>15243736
I don't know about laws where you live but there is no real reason to hold the brakes unless you are paranoid that someone could rear end you and fling you forward in the middle of an intersection.

And even then I could argue that any unexpected violent impact would shake you so hard that you would remove your feet from whatever pedals they are holding anyway
>>
>>15243736
Its not any law that I know of but since most autos creep forward when not on the brake most people do it anyways.

And further out from that, if someone does rear end you even with a slight bump it keeps you from hitting someone in front of you.
>>
>>15227997
Every shop has an angle, but you have to take the best of what you can get. Paid $800 for a transmission and for the shop to put it in, but they broke the distributor and radiator in the process, hoping I wouldn't notice.
>>
File: iPhoneUpload.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
iPhoneUpload.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Can someone tell me the Make/Model of this?
>>
>>15245166
Hyundai Genesis coupe
>>
>>15245166
Hyundai genesis, Penis Window Omologato
>>
>checked sticky
>checked catalog
>tablet won't upload a picture to start a thread
>come back and finally see a qtddtott

I'm a grown ass man who doesn't know how to drive a manual car. It's not for lack of trying, i have tried, but none of my teachers wanted their clutches burned. So it need to take matters into my own hands. If I'm going to rotisserie a clutch, it best be my own. There are two reasons why I want to learn to drive stick.

1: My job requires me to move semi trucks, most of which are still manual. While I'm getting better at it, I want to be skilful at it. This is a new responsibility I've been given.

2: So I can enjoy weekend driving again.

This will be a second vehicle, so I'm not picky about make/model/year so long as it's sturdy. The price point is $2000 max. This will be a learning vehicle, I don't want to sink too much money in something that I might accidentally engine fire.

I've heard Toyota and Hona cars are the most... forgiving and fit this niche the best, how true is this?
>>
File: fordkuga.jpg (20 KB, 429x262) Image search: [Google]
fordkuga.jpg
20 KB, 429x262
hey, im not a car guy, but I am looking for a thread like this...

So I set my car in 6th gear while it was off, down a hill, without the handbrake on, and when I let go of the clutch, the engine started making weird noises. Nevermind why I did this, but is this horribly bad? I instantly pulled it out of gear when this happened.

>pic related; its my car
>>
>>15245324
>none of my teachers wanted their clutches burned

Stopped reading right there. You have to be a special type of retard to burn a clutch while learning. You literally learn it within one hour.
>>
Why the fuck are tacomas so expensive? I'm seeing like 10 year old trucks with salvage titles and 180k miles posted for like 13K on craigslist
>>
What is a rebuilt title vs a clean and salvage title?
>>
>>15245324
Japanese cars tend to have light and forgiving clutches.

German cars have a bit heavier clutches, but also more feel to them.

Can't say I know much about American cars, but I imagine they will be somewhere in the middle.

It really doesn't matter which car you pick. You would need to be doing it on purpose to actually burn a clutch in under a month, and it shouldn't take you more than a few days to grasp the basics and a week to be able to drive somewhat smoothly.

It could however take up to months to be truly smooth, and even then it changes from car to car. I can be smoother than any automatic car i've driven in my own shitbox, but that one time I had to drive a friend's car, I felt like a 19 year old boyracer who's shifting too hard.
>>
>>15245382

That's the confidence level they had in my ability to learn. They tell me I'm a good driver and a fast learner, but then won't risk teaching me how to learn like it's a waste of my time. So whenever I did get behind the wheel, they acted like I should have picked it up immediately and screeched like banchies when the gears grind and the car stalled.

>>15245469

The only American manual vehicle I've driven is a Ford that slipped out of 3rd and a hand full of Freightliners that you can ride the clutch around the lot to the end of time. German cars tend to be expensive when they break, and I'm no mechanic. I'll go with Japanese imports then, probably a 90s Toyota or something. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>15245611
I don't know bro, maybe you're just a literal retard and they don't trust you, or the other way around. Literally nobody in the history of mankind has burned a clutch while learning to drive manual. You literally have to try hard to do it, can't do it on accident. It's so easy to learn too.
>>
File: 1426817163309.jpg (42 KB, 669x746) Image search: [Google]
1426817163309.jpg
42 KB, 669x746
why do so many puerto ricans and Dominicans love to put rotarys in civics. I just started to notice it after all these years.
>>
>>15216851
My car calls for plugs gapped at .28-.32, but I just bought plugs that are supposed to be OEM replacements (Denso ITV20s) that are gapped at .4. They're iridium so I'm not supposed to regap them either. Is it worth throwing them in my car anyway or should I just return them and order step colder? (My car isn't really modded enough to justify step colder, but I don't think it will hurt)
>>
File: 20160611_155203 (3000x2060).jpg (3 MB, 3000x2060) Image search: [Google]
20160611_155203 (3000x2060).jpg
3 MB, 3000x2060
>>15216851
hey guys, i'm back.
replaced my tranny pan and the leak is gone, that's for the tips on removing the rtv.

i wanted to know where you guys think this motor oil leak is coming from, rear main seal or oil pan?
>>
File: 20160611_155127 (3000x2250).jpg (3 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
20160611_155127 (3000x2250).jpg
3 MB, 3000x2250
>>15245756
*thanks for

and this is where the leak starts(i think), i'm guessing it's from the oil pan.
>>
File: 20160611_155127 (3000x2250).jpg (2 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
20160611_155127 (3000x2250).jpg
2 MB, 3000x2250
>>15245761
maybe i should label some stuff
>>
>>15245421
Because they're the reliable option to jeeps
>>
How much would it cost to put a V6 into a 95 Accord V4?

I already have the engine, I just need to know how much to resize/mount everything.
>>
>>15245649

It's good to know I can't kill a clutch as easily as I've been ked to believe, and for that info, thank you. As for the retardation, your guess is as good as mine. I get the feeling it's like telling a kid his dog isn't going to die, no, no... just... sleeping. For a long time and won't wake up.
>>
>>15245902
Go watch a youtube tutorial and see how easy it is. To burn it you have to like go on a steep hill, hold the clutch down and start pumping the gas or some shit.
>>
>>15245431
Pretty sure rebuilt is when the car was considered wrecked/totalled and someone "fixed" it. Instead of having a clean title its given a rebuilt one to let you know its fixed, but theres probably still issues the person was too lazy to fix.

>>15241089
>>15241739
Make sure its a good manual too, one that either explains everything or is meant for beginners. Some books are meant for people with experience, and they just say "remove this part, unscrew the 3 screws, put new part in" for like 80% of the book. Others tell you where the part is, give step by step instructions with pics, etc.
>>
>>15245869

>V4

you take a bullet and launch it through your skull first
>>
File: 125465132161.jpg (53 KB, 600x639) Image search: [Google]
125465132161.jpg
53 KB, 600x639
>>15246075
>Getting trolled this hard
>>
>>15246075
Ok my bad, I want to put a J37A4 into an Accord, how much would this cost
>>
>>15230935
That's approximates to about 1800 miles. It depends on your car. I've been told to do about every 4000. Unless you have synthetic, it can last longer. What kind of car do you have?
>>
>>15245377
I dont know what noises you are talking about and I'm assuming you were doing it with the engine off, but hearing some noises when you park on an incline, release the brakes and let the car stand on the gear alone is pretty normal.

When you feel the car "bouncing" on itself the moment you release the brakes and let it in gear, you are actually feeling the whole drivetrain from the wheel to the whole engine moving a little bit. Without writing a novel with the detail, there are all sorts of things moving once the weight of the car is pushing on its drivetrain, so a few noises while things settle are normal.

Again, I don't know what noises you heard and I hope you weren't just releasing the clutch in 6th with the engine still running so I can't really help you much more than this.
>>
>>15246282
>No location
>No info on age of car
>No info on age of donor car
>No info on what parts are actually in his possession other than the engine itself
>Expects even vague quotes without realising that actual shop quotes can be hundreds if not thousands of dollars different between two shops 20miles apart

Jesus Christ could you possibly make a more stupid question?
>>
I can use some help with my 92 dodge ram cummins diesel engine.

The damned thing wont start. I've hit the starter while turning the ignition, and nothing. I just had the damned clutch and transmission fixed, and had to push start it to get home from work. the thing is, while driving home, it seemed to periodically stall, but pressing on the gas pedal kicked it back in. it did this the whole way home, while not actually shutting off.

but now, even hitting the starter wont get it going. it kind of whirred for a bit, but that's it. just clicking. i'm parked on an inclined spot, to where i can roll start it in reverse, but i'm afraid to try this as if it doesn't start, i wont be able to park it in my paring space again.

i've tested the battery cables by bypassing them, and nothing changed.
>>
>>15246506
Nope, engine was off
>>
>>15246506
2/1
even if I did it with the engine off, I would just assume the car would stall anyway, wouldnt it?
>>
>>15246616
3/1
engine ON*
>>
>>15246638
were you attempting to pop start it in 6th gear? if that's the case, that would explain the noise.
>>
>>15246651
I was explaining my friend what torque was (he doesnt know anything about cars, and doesnt have a license), and I showed him that simply parking it on a hill in 1st would be enough, as the torque is high enough, and I was trying to show him that if it was parked in 6th, it wouldnt be enough torque to keep the car still. It was pretty dumb.
>>
Is there a place I can find when a new car releases before it gets announced?
Should I scoop up a Lancer now or wait until the 2017 model is announced?
>>
Accidentally rear-ended somebody at a light. Cop went easy on me with a charge that won't ever hit the DMV, but the guy is filing a claim even though I didn't see so much as a scratch on his rear bumper

Should I expect an insurance increase even with no demerits?
>>
File: 00C0C_ax4ZT25SsEN_600x450.jpg (55 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00C0C_ax4ZT25SsEN_600x450.jpg
55 KB, 600x450
>>15216851
Should I buy it?

2008 mazdaspeed 3 hatch
2.3l 4 banger with factory tarbo, 53k miles, 6 speed, HKS bov, borla exhaust w/ cobb intake
Asking $11,900 USD. Drives really well and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it at all. /o/pinions appreciated
>>
>>15246877
Where I live you have the option of blocking the insurance from refunding the other guy so you can pay it out of your pocket.
It's useful for small damages where the insurance rate increase can be higher than the damage itself. So you pay to fix the car and the insurance rate stays the same.

See if you can do something like this, otherwise I suppose your insurance will go up since it had to pay for some damage you caused
>>
File: 1465060449879.jpg (89 KB, 999x667) Image search: [Google]
1465060449879.jpg
89 KB, 999x667
>>15216851
anyone got sauce on these wheels?
>>
File: IMG_20160611_190258.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_190258.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I basically have no tools whatsoever. Is this a good set?
>>
File: image.jpg (458 KB, 1383x1843) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
458 KB, 1383x1843
So I just replaced the fuel lines before the intake on my '85 BMW 325e and after the job was done I went to start the engine. It cranked a few times and died, wouldn't crank. After this I saw I had accidentally unplugged the two cords circled (sensors I'm guessing?). Reconnected and it still won't crank, ruled out the battery.

Any help guys?
>>
>>15247791
are your blinker fluid levels stable?
>>
>>15247660
Its better than nothing, but it is the absolute definition of cheap chinese shit.
>>
>>15217247
If you can do the valve cover gasket, you can do the manifold gasket
>>
>>15226987
An NA Subaru. Reliable and with good AWD
>>
>>15228895
Don't get the drilled and slotted and avoid the brake pads. Other than that, they're not terrible.
>>
Bought an older wrx a few months back. It's my first turbo and first manual.

How can I tell when it's time to replace the turbo? Things I should look out for?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>15246887
Check for VVT issues (confirm no rattle on startup, check timing chain is taut when engine is warm by reaching through the opening to the crankcase and wrapping a finger around it to test it. Obviously make sure car is off). Have them take you on a couple of WOT runs, long ones, like 2nd-4th. Listen for knock (pinging or metallic slapping noise) and for the power cut that accompanies it. If they have a Cobb Accessport on hand, plug that bitch in and monitor the fuel pump pressure (listed as HPFP Act. Press. under "Live Data") and make sure it doesn't ever drop below 1500 at WOT, ideally shouldn't drop below 1600. If it does, it's not catastrophic, you just need a new HPFP, which is like $350 and install is fairly easy (I just did mine 2 days ago). Other than that, there's not a lot wrong with those engines. They won't shit out on you as long as you get a decent tune and don't turn boost up on the stock turbo (or on a different turbo without proper supporting mods). Good luck anon, hope I helped.
>>
not a question but someone please someone blue pill me and tell me power isnt worth it so i can focus on the aesthetics of of my lexus sc400
shits hella expensive for any power mods
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.