[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought a caravan 2002
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
Ok so uh, I am new in here in /o/, it is my very first time here.
I have a few questions

backstory (not important):
So I have been looking to buy a bigger car (currently have a Nissan Altima 2001) but I am kind of cram in there, and since I have to spend from 2 to 4 hours in my car DAILY, I have been looking for a bigger car/truck, seen a few, I liked pick ups a lot because of the space but cant afford them atm so today I saw a caravan, the price was within my budget, im comfortable in it, so I bought it, I never liked them because I think they suck (just a personal taste, nothing in particular really) so now my question...

Question
is there any website that help you make your car look better (like for example for /g/ theres installgentoo.com) to make my own research, I have a while searching in google but I dont seem to find anything.

>pic related (not the one I bought, but it is the same model)
>>
>>15013378
Unless you're a whale, how is the altima cramped? You got rid of a decent car and replaced it with a hunk of shit that will die in the next 50k miles probably.
>>
>>15013420
well I am fat but not a whale, I am tall tho, 195cm, I really like my Nissan I have already 5 years with it (havent got rid of it) but last year I got a new job and its kind of far away, so thats why I have to travel so much.
>>
>>15013420
idk but I hated my 2003 altima so regardless of what OP's reasoning was, the new car is probably better.
>>
>>15013378
The best way to enhance any car's look is to lower it somewhat and put nicer wheels on it. To that end, Tirerack.com should help you find a nice set of aftermarket wheels/tires.

IIRC, eibach makes lowering springs for the Caravan, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wouldn't do anything else to it unless you somehow managed to snag a 4 cylinder model instead of the V6.
>>
File: dash.jpg (319 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
dash.jpg
319 KB, 1440x960
Caravans are cozy. Do regular maintenance and they'll go forever unless you live in a rust state, then the side doors will start turning to dust in a year. The third gens have the front strut towers rust right through as well, thankfully that's mostly avoided on the fourth gens like you got.

>>15013420
>will die in the next 50k miles probably.
Depends on the mileage and how it was treated before he bought it. They're meant to be driven by soccer moms who couldn't tell an oil cap from an onahole, so treat it like normal and it'll last way longer than you'd expect. My old Voyager was at almost 350k and still running great when it got just too rusty to keep on the road; the Caravan I had more recently unfortunately died before hitting 170k (which was my fault, got a head gasket leak after having to force the fucker two miles up a hill covered with twelve inches of snow and no snow tires, overheated and warped. Got me home, though!).

Also column shifter and clean, simple gauges if you're into that type of thing.

>>15016959
I wouldn't recommend lowering a Caravan unless you live someplace that has only flat city streets, they're heavy motherfuckers and the ass end will start sagging right down if you carry stuff in it a lot.

Hell, I wouldn't recommend lowering it period, it's a Caravan, not a boyracer's Civic. It'll go faster and take corners better than you'd expect a minivan to stock, but the center of gravity is still wayyyyy off the ground.

Moreover, why would you want the four cylinder model? The i4 in the 3rd/4th gen Caravans is the same wheezy thing as in the PT Cruiser (and the van weighs a full half ton more), they don't have a turbo-i4 option like the old boxy 1st/2nd gens have.
>>
Also, to OP:

>I liked pick ups a lot because of the space

You've got a 2002 so your van predates the stow-n-go seating stuff, meaning you can take the second and third rows of seats right out and still have a solid floor to put stuff on without bumps/straps everywhere from the stowed seats of the later models. A bit less space all the way in the back, though, but it's not a big deal as long as you've got the long wheelbase variant (which 80% of Caravans are so no issue there).
>>
>>15017014
>Moreover, why would you want the four cylinder model?
aftermarket support, and the turbo version drops right in.
>>
>>15017072
Somehow I don't think OP is looking to do any engine modding, especially if he mentioned wanting to make it look better and cited space and comfort in why he bought it.
>>
File: 1462258593555.jpg (173 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1462258593555.jpg
173 KB, 500x375
>>15017156
>not wanting a turbocharged sleeper minivan
Who ARE you?
Pic related. Chrysler used to sell turbo minivans from the factory.
>>
>>15017220
Yes, they also sold a turbo LeBaron, a turbo Neon and a bunch of other tarbo-toting Things. Only the first and second gen Caravans came turbo from the factory, the third and fourth (the latter of which OP has) were N/A only with either the i4 or your choice of Chrysler or Mitsubishi V6 depending on year.

I don't want a high-maintenance turbocharged Caravan (although OP might, but probably not), I want a Caravan that can deal with New York's atrocious road quality and watered-down gasoline and not complain when I dive it into a snowbank because the staties haven't plowed in a fucking week.
>>
>>15017241
>I don't want a high-maintenance turbocharged Caravan
>high maintenance turbocharged Caravan
>high maintenance
wut. They aren't high maintenance at all. Confirmed for having never even talked to the owner of a Turbo K-car.

There's a euro guy on here who loves his turbo LeBaron.
>>
File: file.jpg (48 KB, 259x293) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
48 KB, 259x293
Hi, OP here, no I didnt bougth it because of the turbo or the looks, I bought it because it was within my budget and it has lots of space, I was only asking if there's any place I can go look for accessories so I don't dislike that much how it looks.
>>
File: g caravan sarona.jpg (276 KB, 700x360) Image search: [Google]
g caravan sarona.jpg
276 KB, 700x360
>>15018264
As said, you can get lowering springs, and aftermarket wheels, which WILL help with how it looks. If that's not enough, buy a buy kit, have it painted and installed.
>>
In other words I just want to improve the looks of my caravan, what would you do to it to make it look better?
>>
>>15018288
Oh Ok but where I live there are a hell of a lot of speed bumps,some are giantic so lowering it its probably not a good idea, I was thinking in lifting it instead
>>
>>15018306
>I was thinking in lifting it instead
that's a lot of custom work, even for a small lift. There's just not much aftermarket for the Caravan. Lowering springs, custom headlights/tail lights and body kits are pretty much all that's out there.
To lift it, you want lengthened struts/shocks, custom springs, and custom sway bar links t make sure you don't completely fuck up the alignment.
>>
>>15018339
Now that is the answer I was looking for, OK I'll work on it and when I have it ready Ill post it here again for opinions.
Thanks m8
>>
>>15018503
all those suspension mods, being custom are going to be 2k minimum, particularly for the struts/shocks and springs. That's something you want done by an experienced performance shop
>>
>>15018525
Wow its more expensi e than the van itself, the van was for 1500 lol
>>
>>15013420
To be fair, it depends on the previous owner. My dad's 05 Caravan has >250k on it and it's still fine. Never needed any major repairs, just regular maintenance for it's whole life.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.